Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread

Old 26th May 2012, 12:46   #271
Senior - BHPian

Default re: Petrol price hiked by Rs. 7.50. EDIT 1st March 2013 : Up by Rs. 1.4

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarathlal View Post
Doesnt this mean that Govt is trying to encourage diesel? And isnt diesel more polluting that petrol?
I have seen n number of debates over this, but each time a Cruze zips past emitting black smoke all around, cant digest the fact that petrol pollutes more.
Can someone throw light into this?
This may be OT but since you asked:
  • CO2 emission is almost same for both (mainly contributes to greenhouse effect, warming)
  • Petrol doesn't leave particulate matter, diesel does
  • Carbon Monoxide (toxic) is more in petrol exhaust
  • Diesel produces much more NOx then petrol
Guna is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th May 2012, 13:16   #272
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarathlal
Doesnt this mean that Govt is trying to encourage diesel? And isnt diesel more polluting that petrol?
I have seen n number of debates over this, but each time a Cruze zips past emitting black smoke all around, cant digest the fact that petrol pollutes more.
Can someone throw light into this?

If won't be entirely correct to say that black smoke is not a pollutant, it is simply unburnt fuel(carbon particles or soot). But it still is not as big a problem as other stuff coming out of an engine. atleast not for next 20 or so years.
present problem is co2 and co, and compounds of nitrogen and sulphur. These gases cause increased green house, and other compounds are responsible for acid rain and stuff. Biggest worry is the green house, and co2 and co are responsible to major extent.
Present gen diesel engines emit as much as 40% less gen house gases than gas guzzlers.
Studies suggest that they are greener than electric vehicles as well.
dustom_99 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th May 2012, 13:34   #273
BHPian

Just when I start to get convinced a this alto would continue to suffice my needs and my next will be also a Petrol Sedan, this is a big blow.

My monthly petrol bill is hiked from 5 K to 6 K approx.

Already whenever I tank up I envy the other vistas, swifts and dezires on diesel diet. It only would get worse here on.
Old 26th May 2012, 21:09   #274
BHPian

On the brighter side, you can go ahead and fill up at Shell without a second thought.

Tanked up for the first time after the hike, straight to Shell OMR. Unleaded @ 81.70. A good 1.30 cheaper than the PSUs.

This is what I have been doing for the last few hikes. Whenever there is a PSU price hike, Shell is at par for at least couple of months. I always fill up at Shell after a hike. Then Shell starts to increase price slowly.
Old 26th May 2012, 22:03   #275
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuboid View Post
On the brighter side, you can go ahead and fill up at Shell without a second thought.

Tanked up for the first time after the hike, straight to Shell OMR. Unleaded @ 81.70. A good 1.30 cheaper than the PSUs.

This is what I have been doing for the last few hikes. Whenever there is a PSU price hike, Shell is at par for at least couple of months. I always fill up at Shell after a hike. Then Shell starts to increase price slowly.
I did the same thing. I never bothered to check the Shell earlier but decided to go for shell straightaway. Surprisingly the shell pump was not as busy as I was expecting, thinking many motorists would be opting for it.
I don't know if it is my illusion but already my car engine is feeling much smoother with Shell normal
Old 27th May 2012, 00:44   #276
BHPian

Hi everybody
Once again repeating my post of 24th October:

Hi everybody.
An eyeopener as to why we have such high prices
10th jan2011 page 15 economic times "is petroleum pricing all gas?"
Part of this article
Salaries at IOC per annum
Casual labourer 15 yrs service rs 8,39,757
Some drivers (some have m.com degree) rs 22 lakhs
Fifth standard caretaker 8,56,731
Officers abov this level minimum 24 lakhs
The icing:Prakash Paswan eigth standard ,senior attendant,joining date 6/3/1976 rs 45,99,234
With these salaries ,very high tax structure and cross subsidizing is it any wonder that in bombay we pay more than 70 per litre(now rs 78)
Regards
Mods.This post is repeated.If it is against the rules please delete.Sorry for the inconvenience.
faustus77 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 27th May 2012, 01:30   #277
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by faustus77 View Post
Hi everybody

With these salaries ,very high tax structure and cross subsidizing is it any wonder that in bombay we pay more than 70 per litre(now rs 78).
I'm very glad to see your post. I have been talking about the same too. Your post should be pinned at the top of every 'fuel price' related thread. Btw, if what I heard is correct, we can expect a diesel price hike by June 1st week. Dunno why but that news really made me smile.

Last edited by fast&furious : 27th May 2012 at 01:32.
fast&furious is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th May 2012, 02:07   #278
BHPian

An interesting aside, petrol and diesel rates in Germany are 1.73 1.54, at the current rates of 70 INR for a Euro, Petrol would be 121 Rupee and Diesel with 107 (we still cry we pay too much). Well, now how is that :-) ! I know this a stupid equation and comparison, because a price of a loaf of bread is 1.2 , meaning that earnings are adjusted towards these numbers, but remember India and Germany have the same issue, they need to import all their Oil and they need to pay in dollars in the end. How is it that they manage their economy that way, funny, but serious!
Its not he numbers that count, its the way commodities are priced and handled, including imports. I am not an economist, but even to someone with common sense, its obvious that the guys in charge of the economy need to be retire!
Old 27th May 2012, 02:41   #279
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by faustus77 View Post
Hi everybody

Hi everybody.
An eyeopener as to why we have such high prices
10th jan2011 page 15 economic times "is petroleum pricing all gas?"
Part of this article
Salaries at IOC per annum
Casual labourer 15 yrs service rs 8,39,757
Some drivers (some have m.com degree) rs 22 lakhs
Fifth standard caretaker 8,56,731
Officers abov this level minimum 24 lakhs
The icing:Prakash Paswan eigth standard ,senior attendant,joining date 6/3/1976 rs 45,99,234
With these salaries ,very high tax structure and cross subsidizing is it any wonder that in bombay we pay more than 70 per litre(now rs 78)
Regards
Mods.This post is repeated.If it is against the rules please delete.Sorry for the inconvenience.
This probably, is the source?

http://www.iocl.com/AboutUs/AnnualRe...ion217(2A).pdf

Prakash Paswan, as mentioned by you, does seem to be an aberration. Most senior folks seem to get less than him !
shuvc is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th May 2012, 11:16   #280
SAS
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guna View Post
I did the same thing. I never bothered to check the Shell earlier but decided to go for shell straightaway. Surprisingly the shell pump was not as busy as I was expecting, thinking many motorists would be opting for it.
I don't know if it is my illusion but already my car engine is feeling much smoother with Shell normal
The smoothness is not just a placebo effect, it is real. Shell is probably the only retailer who does not suffer from adulterated fuel. I used to fill Shell when I was in Hyderabad and the engine used to run smoother and give a 3-5% higher average as well. And that too on normal shell unleaded petrol..

Goes to show how much adulterated fuel the PSU's end up selling. So much kerosene and naphtha ends up in petrol. What a shame even after 60 years of independence we cannot buy unadulterated products even after paying through our noses for it...
Old 27th May 2012, 11:37   #281
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAS View Post
The smoothness is not just a placebo effect, it is real. Shell is probably the only retailer who does not suffer from adulterated fuel.
There is another thing I noticed which I thought I should report after observing for couple of more times. But here it goes:
Whenever I go to fill the tank of my car (to tankful with auto cut off) with regular bunks in Bangalore, it would take up around 50 liters (mostly above 50). However when I get it filled in my home town, the auto stop comes at around 47 or 48 litres. I have always wondered whether the meters on the petrol bunks in Bangalore are tampered.
Now, with the shell bunk, the 'auto stop' happened at 47 litres. If this same result is repeated, i am going to conclude that shell bunks are 'non-tampered' as well
Old 27th May 2012, 11:52   #282
SAS
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guna View Post
There is another thing I noticed which I thought I should report after observing for couple of more times. But here it goes:
Whenever I go to fill the tank of my car (to tankful with auto cut off) with regular bunks in Bangalore, it would take up around 50 liters (mostly above 50). However when I get it filled in my home town, the auto stop comes at around 47 or 48 litres. I have always wondered whether the meters on the petrol bunks in Bangalore are tampered.
Now, with the shell bunk, the 'auto stop' happened at 47 litres. If this same result is repeated, i am going to conclude that shell bunks are 'non-tampered' as well

That's so true. It happened to me as well when I used to fill at Shell outlets. The only issue with such a conclusion is that it's difficult to know exactly how much petrol was there in the car prior to filling. However the proof which is scientific is getting the higher averages (using a tankfull to tankfull methodology for calculating averages), be it due to no adulteration as well as dispensing the correct quantities of fuel...

Also the service received at the Shell outlets is impeccable and courteous. I used to fill at Shell even they used to charge a rupee more just for the service and good fuel, which I used to earn back in the form of higher averages and smoother car running..
Old 28th May 2012, 01:07   #283
Senior - BHPian

Unhappy Another Round of Price Hike - Now due to depreciating rupee ?

Most of the foreign car companies have achieved localisation to a certain extent and not necessarily 100% . Given the rapid depreciation of the rupee by approx 20% , is there a price hike imminent in brands like Toyota, Honda, VW , Ford , GM , Fiat ? Looks likely . Toyota has started making the first noise as the following excerpt from WSJ shows.
Toyota India May Raise Prices to Offset Rupee
The India unit of Toyota Motor Corp. is considering raising its car and sport-utility vehicle prices, a senior company executive said, as the auto maker looks to offset the higher cost of imported parts caused by the depreciating rupee.

"The sharp fall in the rupee has come as a surprise to us," said Sandeep Singh, deputy managing director in charge of marketing at Toyota Kirloskar Motor Pvt. Ltd.

The company may partly absorb the cost, but would need to transfer some to customers, he said, adding that the size and timing of the increase will be decided later.

Separately, Jnaneswar Sen, senior vice president for marketing and sales at the local unit of Honda Motor Co., said the sharp decline in the rupee "is a cause for concern." But he added that the company isn't considering an immediate increase in its vehicle prices.

"We are watching the situation closely. If the rupee depreciates further, then it will become difficult for us to hold on to the current prices," Mr. Sen said.

The rupee has fallen as much as 19% against the U.S. dollar in the past 12 months. It slid to an all-time low of 56.37 Thursday.

While this is likely to hit CKDs and CBUs the most , it has the potential to also impact the price of popular models such as Etios, Brio , Verna, Vento, Fiesta, Laura, Jetta , etc .

Thus overall a grim scenario for auto makers - raised petrol prices, raised import duties , stubbornly high interest rates (with possibly limited scope for fall in the same anytime soon) and now slowing demand due to hike in prices as cushion for INR depreciation.

Last edited by souravc : 28th May 2012 at 01:09.
Old 28th May 2012, 01:15   #284
BHPian

Red face re: Petrol price hiked by Rs. 7.50. EDIT 1st March 2013 : Up by Rs. 1.4

Quote:
Originally Posted by shuvc View Post
This probably, is the source?

http://www.iocl.com/AboutUs/AnnualRe...ion217(2A).pdf

Prakash Paswan, as mentioned by you, does seem to be an aberration. Most senior folks seem to get less than him !
shuvc/fast&furious
Hi
f&f thanks for your kind words.

shuvc
I also have seen this link on 2 different sites in the last 2/3 days.The others are getting less than P.Paswan
The article I am referring to is Jan 2011 and my post is 24th Oct.2011.I merely repeated what I have posted earlier.

Some more statistics
Yearly report for 31/3/2011 HPCL turnover 134119.93 crores net profit 1539 crores = 1.147% of turnover. IOC turnover 328853 cr.net profit 7445.48 cr = 2.264% of t/over.Question with same input and output price how can the net profit as a %age differ so much.The clarification,if somebody from the oil industry can provide ,is whether as a %age of turnover hpcl sells more diesel.If yes will that make such a big difference.
Regards
PS somebody provided a link to centerright..According to wikipedia a barrel of oil gives 158.9875 litres and not 150 ltrs.
PPS:Centerright calculates gross refining margin at $ 12 per barrel.It is lower than that.It is $8.4(reliance website 31/3/2011)singapore is 5.2 us gulf 6.4.(I dont understand oil business but i do remember SP Tulsian on Cnbc lamenting the reliance 31/3/12 results where the gross refining margin was lesser than his anticipation of 9.6$ a barrel.In other words the cost of refining is less than what centerright has stated.
Old 28th May 2012, 01:24   #285
MAS
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Another Round of Price Hike - Now due to depreciating rupee ?

This is bound to happen. Rupee vs usd has gone crazy. It has greatly benefited the exporters, but imports suffer heavily. The saddest part is that this increase will not be reversed when rupee weakens against the dollar.

This situation also jeopardises all the price strategies, product positioning and volume projections made for all the new cars planned for launch in the next 3 months.

Last edited by MAS : 28th May 2012 at 01:31.
Closed Thread