Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Old 6th February 2013, 17:30   #346
BHPian

Default re: *SCOOP* Honda Brio DIESEL caught. EDIT: Only for next-gen Brio in 2017

Hello Bhpians

You can often spot these test cars on FDB-GGN highways quite often , none of them have badges . Last time when i spot it , the clatter noise was not much as what i felt but there was traffic noise as well that time .
Safari_Beast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th July 2013, 15:03   #347
BHPian

Default re: *SCOOP* Honda Brio DIESEL caught. EDIT: Only for next-gen Brio in 2017

Honda Jazz is coming out with a diesel in 2014. The link unfortunately is in vernacular website (http://tamil.drivespark.com/four-whe...ne-004750.html).
srikanthns is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14th January 2014, 17:42   #348
Distinguished - BHPian

Honda Brio Diesel and sub-Brio small car are not on Honda's priority puts project on hold - To focus on the 5- 10 lakh segments.

Quote:
Honda Cars India’s CEO Mr Hironori Kanayama, has ruled out the Brio Diesel for the Indian car market

With this development, the diesel powered cars that Honda will sell in India will include the Amaze compact sedan, Jazz premium hatchback, Mobilio MPV, the City C-Segment sedan and possibly the Brio-based SUV.

http://www.cartoq.com/honda-brio-die...on-backburner/
volkman10 is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 15th January 2014, 06:44   #349
BHPian

Yes the clatter proves that there is a diesel beneath the hood.Also the sound is not refined and hence I dont think it is a 1.3 MJD as some of them has pointed out (as speculations). From my experience in listening closely and carefully to the Amaze Iam sure this should also be an I-DTEC. Specifications is something that would be interesting though.

cheers,
pdma.
pdma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th January 2014, 08:23   #350
BHPian

Why would anyone speculate that Honda will be powering the Brio diesel with a MJD engine when they have their own i-DTEC? If it's raising NVH concerns, Honda is too proud a company that it'll rather put the project on hold than anything else.
Turbo_Torq is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 15th January 2014, 09:19   #351
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdma View Post
Yes the clatter proves that there is a diesel beneath the hood.Also the sound is not refined and hence I dont think it is a 1.3 MJD as some of them has pointed out (as speculations). From my experience in listening closely and carefully to the Amaze Iam sure this should also be an I-DTEC. Specifications is something that would be interesting though.
For Honda as a competitor, the 1.3 MJD is the reason that the i-DTEC was born and launched in India. Seeing the ever hungry sales figures of the cars boating the MJD, Honda didn't have a choice but to get the i-DTEC.

If and when Honda launched the Brio and Jazz with the diesel heart, Maruti is sure going to get a weak heart.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbo_Torq View Post
Why would anyone speculate that Honda will be powering the Brio diesel with a MJD engine when they have their own i-DTEC?
True buddy.

Anurag.
a4anurag is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15th January 2014, 11:15   #352
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
If and when Honda launched the Brio and Jazz with the diesel heart, Maruti is sure going to get a weak heart.
You really think so? In real world i don't see it happening. Amaze is already in market for last more than 6 months, does Dzire got affected? Not really. In fact i think it helped Maruti only as more people got attracted towards the CS segment. And when people compare cars in that segment, many prefers Maruti, sales figures just shows that. As far as Brio is concerned, not many people like its odd looking back and dashboard in particular. So i don't think, Honda will do any better with diesel Brio. Swift is a leader here and will not get affected at all. Already there are so many competition like Figo, Polo, I20, Micra, Pulse, Indica, etc. Still Swift beats them all, even if you add numbers of all those cars together. So with coming new launches like Celerio & YL1, i guess its Honda who is going to get a weak heart
aniketi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th January 2014, 14:26   #353
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Honda Brio Diesel and sub-Brio small car are not on Honda's priority puts project on hold - To focus on the 5- 10 lakh segments.
Honda Brio with a diesel will be in the 5-10 lakhs segment anyway. Honda (metallic paint) Brio petrols on road are between 5 and 7 lakhs anyway (B'lore).

I think they diesel Brio will be priced way too much [petrol is already pretty pricey].

Last edited by k_ajay : 15th January 2014 at 14:36.
k_ajay is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 15th January 2014, 14:40   #354
Distinguished - BHPian

Wait for the election results. One can bet that the Diesel - Petrol differential will narrow dramatically. So the whole argument may become academic.
sgiitk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th October 2014, 01:03   #355
Distinguished - BHPian

ACI reports, via an exclusive scoop, that the next-generation Honda Brio will be getting a 1.2L, 3-cylinder i-DTEC and will hit the showrooms by 2017.

This all-new engine will be a downsized version of the larger 4-cylinder, 1.5L i-DTEC which is currently powering the Amaze, the Mobilio and the City.

Quote:
Honda is currently developing a 1.2-litre three-cylinder diesel engine, which is set to debut in the next-gen Brio. The car is expected to make it to the showrooms in 2017.

With the next-gen Brio, Honda is also likely to rework the interiors, which wasn’t upmarket enough for customers. Certain design elements like the glass hatch might also be changed to a conventional tailgate.

The 1.2-litre three-cylinder i-DTEC engine will sit below the 1.5-litre four-cylinder motor in Honda’s Earth Dreams series and is basically the same engine with a cylinder less. Since it is a smaller iteration of the existing engine, costs will also be kept under check.

DETAILS - http://www.autocarindia.com/auto-new...ne-391113.aspx
RavenAvi is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17th October 2014, 06:44   #356
Senior - BHPian

I can't understand why they couldn't put the 1.5 iDtec in the Brio.
IIMR, both the Amaza and Brio has the same engine bay size and underpinnings.
And there is no tax benefits for a 1.2 diesel engine. Then why?
DicKy is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17th October 2014, 07:35   #357
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DicKy View Post
I can't understand why they couldn't put the 1.5 iDtec in the Brio. IIMR, both the Amaza and Brio has the same engine bay size and underpinnings. And there is no tax benefits for a 1.2 diesel engine. Then why?
2 words: product segmentation.

You want a more powerful diesel? Then pay more to get the sedan variant. Don't need a boot but want the powerful engine? Tough luck.
arunphilip is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17th October 2014, 09:19   #358
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arunphilip View Post
2 words: product segmentation.

You want a more powerful diesel? Then pay more to get the sedan variant. Don't need a boot but want the powerful engine? Tough luck.
Not always. Get a Volkswagon Polo It depends on the manufacturer more than anything else. For e.g. look at Maruti Ciaz with 1.3 litre for C+ segment sedan or even a Toyota Coralla with 1.4 litre for a D segment sedan.

Trend is changing. Some manufacturers go by masses and some by performance.
Kratos453 is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17th October 2014, 09:46   #359
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DicKy View Post
I can't understand why they couldn't put the 1.5 iDtec in the Brio.
IIMR, both the Amaza and Brio has the same engine bay size and underpinnings.
And there is no tax benefits for a 1.2 diesel engine. Then why?
No the sizes do differ a bit. Also, 1.2 was a 3/4 version of the standard
1.6 (outside India). Our iDtec is a slightly scaled down version of this.
sgiitk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th October 2014, 11:03   #360
BHPian

1.5-litre diesel would prove to be expensive and also heavy for the Brio, if i am not wrong.

Also, Honda's not making much money on the Brio currently, they are in-fact almost breaking even on the cost side with each Brio as the car is not much localised. You wont see many Honda dealers actually "Pushing" the Brio to the customers.
performance plumbing is offline   Reply With Quote