Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

View Poll Results: Your line of thought?
It's worth waiting in queue to fill up on the eve of a fuel price hike 35 5.81%
The saving is too negligible considering the effort, time etc. It's not worth it 567 94.19%
Voters: 602. You may not vote on this poll

Old 28th May 2012, 14:16   #31
BHPian

Default Re: Ridiculous! Waiting in a petrol pump queue on the eve of a price hike

I personally feel it's not worth it.

I'm not gonna give it to the government so easily saying that petrol price hikes are routine now-a-days and therefore, it does not make sense anymore. Rather a logical reason is more appropriate here as it is not feasible to be a part of the queue everytime the rates are hiked, as explained by GTO.

Also, please take into consideration the point that in the midst of all this chaos, there might be a person who is extremely short on fuel and happens to be in the queue not for savings but because of sheer luck that the announcement coincides with his shortage or refuelling schedule. Think of the mental torture he has to go through!
SankalpDesai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th May 2012, 14:17   #32
Distinguished - BHPian

Default Re: Ridiculous! Waiting in a petrol pump queue on the eve of a price hike

These times are good to head home, because there'll be a lot of vehicles sitting at the bunk, waiting to fill up. The roads are less crowded

The only times I have done this is during fuel shortages - but definitely not for hikes.
condor is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28th May 2012, 14:24   #33
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rangakishen View Post
My views:
About savings: We have to realize not everyone have the same ideology when it comes to fuel. We here in T-BHP strongly suggest keeping tank towards full all the time. BUT!! Most of the people I have come across fill in fuel as and when required. Hence their tanks are more or less empty if not on fumes. And for a Sedan like say Sx4 petrol, tank capacity is 50lts. Lets say 40Lts top up on the eve of the recent price hike. That's 300 worth of savings. That's almost a week's worth of fuel for my daily travel!! My Cruze has a capacity of 60Lts. IF the proposed hike had come into force, that would be 5Rs rise in the price. I filled up 50Lts of fuel on the eve of the price hike (which eventually didn't happen). But lets say it did, then I'd be saving 5Lts of diesel and that amounts to 60Kms. That almost 9 days to college for me. Just imagine if i use that amount saved in my Splendor. That 200 and 240Kms worth of savings in the aforementioned cases!!

I say its worth every penny, if waiting time is around 20-30mins (I had to wait for just 10 mins to fill up my Cruze)!!
i don't know how it worth every penny! you are saying those 200-300Rs once in a life times are worth penny! may that's why we have so much time and money wasted in protesting about these insignificant things.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2cents View Post
Agreed its waste of time and not much of a saving (although, for the first time, I did add to the Q this time around, as the hike was steep, and my tank was near the blink).

On the other hand, I do think its necessary to Q up. For, its is simplest way of showing our disapproval. Imagine no one queueing up - the immediate inference by the sarkar will be that junta are ok with the hike, and perhaps feel encouraged to hike further!
but again not a good way of protesting i guess. at most they must be enjoying it. IMHO, best way to protest would be "stop using all kind fuel" that will make all state owned company go carzy even if it is only for 1 or 2 days.

anyway voted 2 of course.

Last edited by Suess : 28th May 2012 at 14:33.
Suess is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28th May 2012, 14:24   #34

At last i found some people reasonable enough to understand the wastefull practice of queues at the petrol bunk for saving Rs. 200(not considering the amount you waste in idling/start stop the engine) on the even of the hike.

I for one saw the worst side of it. As it happened, my XUV fuel tank was on last leg that day. In the morning, i couldn't fill up as i was running late.(I commute from Ghaziabad to Gurgaon for work). In the evening, I had to wait in the that senseless queue with the car running practically on fumes and my heart beating hard(as i didn't know how i would be able to push that 1.7 tonne monster on my own if the engine shuts off).

I understand saving, but people filling up for 400-500 bucks on that eve just to save around 50 rupees is beyond my understanding.
gaurav_sin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th May 2012, 14:29   #35
Senior - BHPian

Opted for 2. I was on half tank when the price was announced. So after office, went to have the fill, but as expected, it was a chaos in the pump. Quietly went home as the streets were quite empty, had an early dinner and could watch the earlier overs of the IPL match Time saved + time spent with family + empty streets + crucial mumbai-chennai match > money saved by filling on the eve of hike
_raVan_ is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28th May 2012, 14:37   #36
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suess View Post
i don't know how it worth every penny! you are saying those 200-300Rs once in a life times are worth penny!
Its definitely not a "once in a lifetime" event. The government (or the oil companies) keeps increasing the prices of petrol. Pretty sure there are people who have very stringent monthly travel budgets even if its for work.

While personally I don't see a great benefit from standing in long queues to get my car filled up, I think that small-time business men or those workers who live off daily wages or travel long distances would benefit from this. Think about those bank collection staff or the delivery boys. And yes, while a savings of 300Rs is too meager for most working families, there are some people who would really put that 300Rs to use. I guess it just depends on what the motive behind the 300Rs savings is.
Mad Max is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th May 2012, 14:45   #37
BHPian

BTW, just noticed. The thread title itself declares it is "Ridiculous!". I cannot hope to see too many votes for option 1

Rajan
PatchyBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th May 2012, 14:45   #38
BHPian

I voted for 1, because going by normal mentality of most of the people, I know that people would wait for hours and would make sure that waiting long would drain less from their pocket.

For instance we would normally buy any product that is available elsewhere for a cheaper price and we wouldnt bother about the time it takes and what is utmost important is the PRICE Difference.

If not for the above we wouldn't have the opening picture posted by GTO. And for sure we will see more like this in future. But my advice is even though its a meagre saving try to enjoy it with the people in the queue.

And atlast I didn't rush because of my diesel vehicles.
narchennai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th May 2012, 14:49   #39
BHPian

I was low on fuel and I avoided the petrol pump because I hate waiting in such queue. It also results in road rage specially if some one cuts in front of me.

So instead of filling the fuel I avoided the pump even though I was low on fuel.
tazmaan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th May 2012, 14:50   #40
BHPian

I personally think its not worth it spending so much time in the queue pending the hike.

Most of the times, I have filled in a full tank a few days before the hike was announced so do not feel the need to get a fill in before the hike.

On the other hand, if there is no line at the pumps (most unlikely), I dont mind going in and filling in a full tank. Its the kick of saving a few rupees that excites me, nothing else.

Its a bit like speculation in shares. Only here, you are certain of making a notional gain in money for now. (long term saving not considered)
hrman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th May 2012, 14:54   #41
Senior - BHPian

Not only is it just ridiculous, but also a hassle to fellow commuters.
More often than not, such scenes create chaos to already choc a block roads in most cities.
One of our fellow member had to wait on the roads for a good 1.5 hours due to this situation. And he drives a diesel!!!

What also gets my goat is; most of the bunk owners put up boards saying petrol is over, only to make more money on the already available stock. I happened to speak to one such bunk operator, who did mention that his owner asked him to do so. He being a mere employee, had no choice but to accept.
Swanand Inamdar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th May 2012, 14:56   #42
BHPian

I think it is a more wasteful exercise (me included in it) discussion about it. I am sure many people do think waiting in the queue worth it and thats why they do it in the first place The savings of Rs 100 can mean a lot to most (I presume) and trivial to many - The "Ridiculous" queue probably demonstrates the former! I would rather not blindly dub it as "ridiculous".

Last edited by dhiman : 28th May 2012 at 14:58.
dhiman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th May 2012, 15:04   #43
BHPian

I don't think its' the guys with 1/2 or even 3/4 empty that make a beeline. You see, procrastination is a virtue, that suddenly makes these beelines a necessity rather than an option of choice. I've personally never done so - but would certainly be in that line the day Petrol crosses 1K/litre (if ever).
Fornax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th May 2012, 15:11   #44
BHPian

How true! For a max saving of 200, the time, energy and frustration!
That apart, some pumps resort to rationing fuel (like for 300 for a two wheeler & 1000 for a car) in name of providing to all (and catching up for price rise). Thus the max gain is reduced even further.
If someone is really in need to fill on the eve, poor soul(s)!
babu.sundaram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th May 2012, 15:17   #45
Distinguished - BHPian

It was almost time for next fill when the hike announcement was made, hence had a thought if to fill up on the way to home. However seeing the rush at bunk didnt dropped the plan. Worse part due to the rush at pump the road I take to home daily was blocked and lost some 1 hr trying to get out of it.
mpksuhas is offline   Reply With Quote