Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

View Poll Results: Your line of thought?
It's worth waiting in queue to fill up on the eve of a fuel price hike 35 5.81%
The saving is too negligible considering the effort, time etc. It's not worth it 567 94.19%
Voters: 602. You may not vote on this poll

Old 28th May 2012, 15:17   #46
Team-BHP Support

Default Re: Ridiculous! Waiting in a petrol pump queue on the eve of a price hike

I voted for option 2, since I have NEVER bothered with running to the petrol pump whenever a hike is announced- would rather wait and do it at the usual time without the honking idiots queuing up like it's five minutes to Armageddon!

But this time was very different. Firstly, my tank ran dry the day the hike was announced. If ONLY I had tanked up in the morning on the way to work. But the pump is on the opposite side and I would have had to take 2 U-turns. So I pay the price for my laziness

Secondly- the hike was unprecedented. 7.50!!! Petrol prices touching 80 for the first time! And to think a couple of weeks ago I tanked up at 54.xx in Goa.

By the time the news broke, people had started to queue up and cause a mess on the street as well. My usual pump guy shooed me off saying "Petrol khatam". There are a couple of other pumps on the route which had a ton of cars piled up at their entrance- didn't even bother entering. I later found out that after waiting for an hour, drivers were told that only premium petrol was available!

Incidentally, my second car was close to full when this happened and the Vento had DTE (distance to empty) of zero when I reached home (which probably means 25-30 km more left) so after the hike I have been driving the Swift to work and around town and waiting for the rollback!

If I had tanked up both cars on the day, I would have saved a mammoth 7.50 X 97 = 725/- rupees!

Last edited by noopster : 28th May 2012 at 15:19.
noopster is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28th May 2012, 15:23   #47
BHPian

Default Re: Ridiculous! Waiting in a petrol pump queue on the eve of a price hike

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhiman View Post
......The savings of Rs 100 can mean a lot to most (I presume) and trivial to many - The "Ridiculous" queue probably demonstrates the former! I would rather not blindly dub it as "ridiculous".
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Max View Post
Its definitely not a "once in a lifetime" event. The government (or the oil companies) keeps increasing the prices of petrol. Pretty sure there are people who have very stringent monthly travel budgets even if its for work.

While personally I don't see a great benefit from standing in long queues to get my car filled up, I think that small-time business men or those workers who live off daily wages or travel long distances would benefit from this. Think about those bank collection staff or the delivery boys. And yes, while a savings of 300Rs is too meager for most working families, there are some people who would really put that 300Rs to use. I guess it just depends on what the motive behind the 300Rs savings is.
I again fail to understand where this "value" of 100-300Rs coming from. i do understand that 100-300Rs can mean a lot for someone who need it badly. like the Maid at Dr. IAS in Satyamev Jayate epi. 4, who's child died because she couldn't afford the medication cost of 300-400Rs.

But someone who is driving a car i don't think it mean anything to him. may be one movie less in lifetime!.(if he really want to adjust it) again this lifetime was a way to say it. you might see such big hike 3-4 times or may be more but in lifetime but it will still be insignificant in your lifetime!

motive! what motive? are we going to give that to charity? or going to help someone in need with that? i don't know..may be yes. but that you can do without wasting time in queue.

Last edited by Suess : 28th May 2012 at 15:26.
Suess is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28th May 2012, 15:25   #48
Distinguished - BHPian

Voted for option 2.

Not worth the time and effort is one part. The bigger trouble is the traffic congestion and pollution in the vicinity of the fuel station.

Some of us have mentioned ‘Indian mentality’. I have to say that queuing up for inconsequential savings / benefits / freebies is a worldwide phenomenon. Nothing to do with Indian mentality
vb-san is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th May 2012, 15:30   #49
BHPian

I voted for option 2. Waiting in the mess for 1 hr or so does not suit me. I can utilise that time for better work.
Infact I have not yet filled in both of the cars after the hike. Thanks to wife's week long leave. I am using the cars alternate days. Hoping for roll back by 1st june.
bigwheelz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th May 2012, 15:34   #50
BHPian

did not make sense to wait and get frustrated in the queue. on a 40 litre full tank I would have saved 40X7.5 = 300 INR. Instead of that will recover/save this by using bike for a little more than car while commuting to office. Earlier used to ensure I take bike once a week to office (25 km one way). Now increased this to 2-3 days a week. My average monthly fuel bill is approx 5500-6000 INR including office and weekend commute. I have changed commuting habit(take bike instead of car whenever and wherever possible) and will ensure that the monthly bill does not increase beyond my earlier average expenditure.
the VTEC guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th May 2012, 15:39   #51
BHPian

Long queues for a marginal one time saving seems to be a bit pointless. One of my business acquaintances went out of his way and spent countless minutes on his cell to co-ordinate with his driver to go the pump, and this is a mid-level executive who certainly doesn't need to save 200-300 bucks.

Its a bit like the huge hurry and rush on roads and yet the slightest fracas and folks have all the time to stop and while away, and then its back to zipping in traffic. Inexplicable.
raul is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28th May 2012, 15:45   #52
Senior - BHPian

My pulsar just hit reserve and i tank/top up every 2 weeks. (approx 12-14liters, 100~Rs). I had to fill anyways, but saw a MEGA queue of all assorments of vehicles and decided heck with it, i can take car for 1 day and let this madness subside. Picked up 1 garlic chicken for that money and had it for side dish that night for dinner!

EDIT - being a rural town, the biggest strata of the 2-wheeler queue was TVS50/ExcelSuper (Hosur IS TVS Mecca) - I cannot imagine what those guys get out of spending 30mins-1hour to fill a tank that is 3 or 4 Liters FULL Capacity!!

Last edited by svsantosh : 28th May 2012 at 15:53.
svsantosh is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28th May 2012, 16:01   #53
BANNED

I would not wait at the pump to fill fuel in that situation.Though i have once done it,but i was unware of a price hike.I was on almost empty and had to fill.
I feel waiting in the queue is pointless unless it makes a huge difference.Just the idea of waiting and crawling and amidst all the confusion and commotion is mind boggering.The savings would almost be wasted by just waiting and crawling.
raycers_honda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th May 2012, 16:04   #54
BHPian

i think i would have saved some 1300/- if i had got my cars filled up. But the time spent to momentary pleasure it gave was not worth it. So just left it. I was travelling with my spouse in her new car when we saw huge crowd in the pumps.

I also saw my spouse's eyes staring at her fuel gauge seeing the crowd in the pumps. i was seeing the relief on her face. She was happy for 2 things, One is that her fuel guage was indicating full tank & then she asked " This hike is only for petrol right "
My cars run on petrol her new car is a diesel one !!
nandans2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th May 2012, 16:39   #55
BHPian

Wink Re: Ridiculous! Waiting in a petrol pump queue on the eve of a price hike

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
This scene is typical at any petrol-pump the minute a fuel price hike is announced.

Attachment 932822
Picture Credit : deshgujarat.com

Honestly, I find the habit ridiculous. How much do you save anyway? Considering that 70% of Indian cars are hatchbacks with 40 liter fuel tanks, we are looking at a maximum saving of Rs. 290 IF your tank is completely empty (unlikely coincidence). On the other hand, if we average out most cars on the road running a 1/2 tank of fuel, then the saving is Rs. 150. There are also bikers waiting in the line who, we can assume, fill up 5 liters of petrol on an average. The net saving : Rs. 37.50.

Now, what is the cost incurred?

- IDLING! A modern car uses up anywhere between 0.6 - 1.2 liters of petrol per hour of idling (most sedans use about a liter). Thus, if you spent 45 minutes waiting at the fuel pump in your Accent, you've spent about Rs. 50 in idling fuel costs. Even if you switch the engine off while waiting, I'm not too sure about the savings as frequent engine start / stop does lead to higher fuel consumption.

- TIME! Not only did you have to reschedule something else (or reach home later) in order to fill up at the petrol pump, there is the hassle of spending 30 - 60 minutes waiting & doing nothing. Maybe you also took a diversion to get to the petrol pump? What is the cost of an hour of your time? Only 100 bucks?

My brother says he saw a Pulsar rider endure the queue to fill up a 100 bucks of petrol! Sorry...to me, the extra hour I spend with my family (or at work) is worth a lot more than that. Do keep in mind that the recent Rs. 7.5 hike has been the steepest thus far, and that's what my calculations are based on. But we've seen such queues even after an announcement of a 2 rupee hike, haven't we?
GTO,
I fully buy your logic and your calculations. Its after all the popular adage that I love the most, Penny Wise Pound Foolish.
We do that every day unaware.....
Thanks for the insight.
gopa99 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28th May 2012, 16:43   #56
BHPian

No hurry to fill up - Unless your tank is already running low and you know that the pumps will be bone dry the next morning !!
kutts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th May 2012, 16:45   #57
Senior - BHPian

Absolutely correct. Spot on.

Even I have always wondered what these guys will end up saving in one filling @ Rs. 7 less, considering the effort.

But then I feel - this is more of a psychological move and herd mentality.
raj_5004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th May 2012, 16:52   #58
Senior - BHPian

One thing that can be done nowadays is getting the tank full after a gap of every 3-4 days or a week as we were getting signals from all sources that the fuel price hike is around the corner. Same situation is going on currently in the case of Diesel. Therefore one can go now and get his tank full and max he would lose is 50-100 bucks even he doesn't join the mad rush on that D-Day. That's exactly what I was doing since last one month and I had only 5-6 litres space left from the full capacity, so max I missed I'd 40-50 Rupees.
I have also experienced reverse of this in my life time, when during the last few days of price reduction in petrol prices here in Goa, no one went near the petrol pump for last few days and even if we went, filled for not more than 50-100 rupees in our 2-wheelers.
This herd mentality is never going to be taken out from the human race, and is proven time and again by history.
PS: Couldn't vote as I feel to each one his own. I have never gone on the eve of fuel-price hike to fill but also has not stopped from filling few days in advance from filling in the manner mentioned above.
If you look deeply, it is a win-win situation, if one waits in the queue and fills, he is immediately rewarded for his effort, if one decides not to, he is spared of the pains but loses the savings which are there for everyone.

Last edited by carwatcher : 28th May 2012 at 17:15.
carwatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th May 2012, 17:02   #59
lsp
BHPian

On the eve of the hike my trip meter was showing 170 kms which means I could take a max of about 12 liters in my car, which translated to a saving of roughly Rs 90/-. Runnning the car idle for about 20-45 mins would have costed about .6 liter of petrol or maybe more, say about Rs 35/-. Net saving in terms of money ~ Rs 55/-. I thought it was best to skip the line and go home rather than sweating it out for God knows how long in the queue adding to the traffic chaos created by these cars.

However as rightly pointed out by some members. Rs 50 saving for a lower middle class person is too tempting to give up. I can understand why someone would choose to bear the stress of stand in the line for the few bucks saved (Heck, even a Rs 10/- saving is welcome).

I have a reason for not queuing up. I guess everyone who didnt queue had one (or more). However, I don't think I am in a position to criticise or ridicule anyone's decision for queuing up to save whatever enormous/miniscule amount of money they did.
lsp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th May 2012, 17:21   #60
BHPian

Money can be earned, time can't be. My opportunity cost of the money spent at the pump is too high. I have never done this last minute fill up task. Its not worth the saving.
man_and_machine is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote