Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 12th October 2014, 22:51   #1021
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)
Re: 2014 Mahindra Scorpio Facelift (W105). EDIT: Now launched at Rs. 7.98 lakhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miyer View Post
With the increased chassis track , upsize tyres could foul the wheel well at the rear
The OD of the 235/75/15 (1st Generation Scorpio) 235/70/16 (Middle Generation Scorpio) and 235/65/17 (Latest Scorpio) are roughly the same. The larger rim has been off-set by lower profile ratio or side wall height. This is the number in middle.
4x4addict is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 13th October 2014, 03:15   #1022
Senior - BHPian

Had a look at new Scorpio yesterday, while I like the interior upgrades like climate control new dash and other things but the exterior ruined it all. It is the most hideous cars I have seen no offense to anybody but somebody has to have really a bad taste to like this Scorpio exteriors. Its a 100% damage to the image of Scorpio, Damn! I would not call this Scorpio.
Old 13th October 2014, 16:03   #1023
BHPian

Hi Everyone,

I am an out & out Scorpio loyalist, i own a 2.6 CRDE Scorpio 2008 model and have clocked over 1,10,000 kms on it.

I was under the impression that this launch would just be a face-lift with an all new Scorpio coming in 2015. But to my surprise there were many improvements made to this particular model itself.

Went and checked out the S10 model at Koncept, Safdarjung Delhi. I love the fact they haven't messed around with the butch SUV look of the Scorpio. In fact they added to it with the new scoop.

The interiors and blue back light dials are a big improvement from the previous editions. The back is slightly overdone , its as if the engineers from the XUV division were called in.

the 17 inch wheels are a perfect upgrade for a vehicle of this stance & size. I used to have 16 inch 255's on my Scorpio, which after 90k kms i changed for 245's. Dont think one will have to go in for after market alloys with these tyres.

I've test driven every SUV and so called SUV's like the Duster, Terrano etc in this segment and the Scorpio is an out & out winner. The low end torque the engine provides is unparalleled.

On Thursday last i was taking a 60+ degrees slope near Jammu with ease in 4th gear. In the city the Scoprio's power and grunt are such a boon.

The Storme is a big improvement over previous Safari's but it pitches, rolls like a ship and for me just doesn't have the torque in low speeds.

Quite logically the White S10 is going to be my next upgrade in about 6 months time.

My one and only concern is will Mahindra launch a new engined Scorpio in the next 18-24 months. Because then i will feel really cheated.

What do you guys think?

cheers

K
Old 13th October 2014, 16:54   #1024
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksingh544 View Post
On Thursday last i was taking a 60+ degrees slope near Jammu with ease in 4th gear. In the city the Scoprio's power and grunt are such a boon.
I bet it can't climb a 60 degree incline in first gear, pedal to the metal. No offence but it is taking fanboyism to new heights.
extreme_torque is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 13th October 2014, 17:22   #1025
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hi Everyone,

K
60 degrees is like a trekking angle and no regular vehicle can climb that inclination.

I recently drove the scorpio for the first time day before, the 14 pre facelift model. The vehicle feels like a truck but does it job well at the price point.

The new scorpio is liked by the folks in non-urban india based on my discussion with people I know. The kind of folks which love the Fortuner!!!
Old 13th October 2014, 17:59   #1026
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by extreme_torque View Post
I bet it can't climb a 60 degree incline in first gear, pedal to the metal. No offence but it is taking fanboyism to new heights.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000rpm View Post
60 degrees is like a trekking angle and no regular vehicle can climb that inclination.
Agree with you, while it easily does a 30-40 degree incline I doubt it can do a 60 degree.

U Tube video of a MATV climbing a 60 degree slope can give some idea (Engine 7.2 liter turbodiesel)

Old 13th October 2014, 18:27   #1027
BHPian

Can Scorpio enthusiasts please clarify this? How do the 2 engine variants differ in terms of drivability in the city (needing frequent gear changes) and on the highway. The salesman told me that the first version has a modified bolero engine with peak torque at lower rpm, whereas the higher versions have a different engine with peak torque at higher rpm.
Old 13th October 2014, 18:34   #1028
BHPian

Quote:

Are you sure it was a 60+ degree slope?

I found (from the advertisements and teasers) some improvements in the new Scorpio. Two things for me that go against it and I may never write the cheque for new Scorpio
1. Ugly rear - enough has been discussed about this on this thread. So no more bashing on same topic
2. Price tag - come on, what on earth are you asking for 14+ on the road? Imagine what it would end up with AT 4x4.
Old 13th October 2014, 18:40   #1029
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by m_upreti View Post
Agree with you, while it easily does a 30-40 degree incline I doubt it can do a 60 degree.

U Tube video of a MATV climbing a 60 degree slope can give some idea (Engine 7.2 liter turbodiesel)
Grades are specified in %age, and thats a 60% "grade" that the MATV is climbing. That would be about 31 "degrees" incline. There is another video, captured from the side, of MATV going up the same slope (I think), and the slope has number "30" written on it. You may also see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grade_(slope)

A scorpio can never climb 30-40 degree incline.

Last edited by black_rider : 13th October 2014 at 18:42. Reason: Added info
black_rider is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th October 2014, 19:34   #1030
BHPian

Quote:
On Thursday last i was taking a 60+ degrees slope near Jammu with ease in 4th gear.

K
Can you please post a video of that? I would even love to see a photo of a Scorpio on a 60 degree slope.
Old 13th October 2014, 20:11   #1031
BHPian

My apologies on thinking back 60 degrees would be an overstatement.

I should be driving back to Jammu soon will try and get a video of the incline grade.

But coming back to my original question - do you think M&M will launch another "all new " Scorpio with a better engine? This is the 5th year for the 2.2 MHawk

Thoughts?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000rpm View Post

I recently drove the scorpio for the first time day before, the 14 pre facelift model. The vehicle feels like a truck but does it job well at the price point.

The new scorpio is liked by the folks in non-urban india based on my discussion with people I know. The kind of folks which love the Fortuner!!!
That's quite a wide brush to paint the average Scorpio consumer with - " folks in non-urban India "

Its very popular in parts of Haryana, UP especially by anyone affiliated with a political party but equally popular in urban india aka metro cities. In the price bracket of 8-14 L, its one of the highest selling SUV's beating its own cousin XUV comfortably

Quote:
Originally Posted by extreme_torque View Post
None taken that was a genuine mistake on my part while typing it out. But then hey we wouldnt be fans if not excited right?

Mod Note: Please use the EDIT or MULTI-QUOTE buttons instead of typing one post after another on the SAME THREAD!

To know how to multi-quote, click here.

We advise you to read the Forum Rules before proceeding any further.

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 13th October 2014 at 20:41.
Old 13th October 2014, 20:23   #1032
BHPian

Had a look at the New Scorpio at Sireesh Auto, Yelahanka today.

I had instantly liked the somewhat boxy look of the new Scorpio as the spy-shots started coming in (as against the old one).

Some of my observations (Some of which have been already mentioned in the thread):

1) Lack of storage spaces. (Even worse than my Swift !!). At least in the Swift the door pockets are pretty large compared to the Scorpio. The sales executive had a lame explanation that it is to avoid theft.

2) Lacks a solid feel to the doors while closing. And the door seems to be light as well.

3) There seem to few panel gaps (some other member had mentioned this as well). There was a big one between the fender and the front door.

4) It looks terrific in black.

5) The executive mentioned that the ground clearance is really 200 mm, but it is mentioned as 165 mm due to tax reasons. I do not know if this is true. Even if it is, how can they camouflage it ?

Could not test drive the vehicle due to time constraints. There was a feel good factor about the reception in the showroom against the Maruti showroom (had a look a Ciaz). Nobody even bothered to approach me when I showed some interest in the car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sutripta View Post
Details would be nice.
Also details of the suspension setup of the 4X4.
The executive mentioned the front suspension to be "Cushion suspension". The same is mentioned in the image (from the brochure) below.

I assume that to be the bellow type suspension, though I am not sure.

2014 Mahindra Scorpio Facelift (W105). EDIT: Now launched at Rs. 7.98 lakhs-untitled.jpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by methecupid View Post
Can someone please confirm the dimensions of this car. The website has it at 5118mm (ref. that to the Storme being 4655mm). Will adversely affect my decision making since the primary reason for me to tilt marginally towards the Scorpio was "perceived" compactness for city driving.
Dimensions ? I assume that to be the length. The length is 4456mm. Even the website mentions the same.

Last edited by Auswechseln : 13th October 2014 at 20:28.
Auswechseln is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th October 2014, 20:49   #1033
BANNED

2014 Mahindra Scorpio Facelift (W105). EDIT: Now launched at Rs. 7.98 lakhs

Quote:
Dimensions ? I assume that to be the length. The length is 4456mm. Even the website mentions the same.

Thanks, I gathered so. But I distinctly remember seeing 5118mm on their website which found me dumbfounded. It's correctly showed now.

Another query to the people here who have driven the older Scorpio. Is having no arm rest on the door pad a hindrance to comfort. I use it extensively during my city drives, but the lower variants of the new Scorpio doesn't have them; similar to the outgoing one.

Last edited by benbsb29 : 14th October 2014 at 05:11. Reason: Fixed broken quote tag.
Old 13th October 2014, 21:10   #1034
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auswechseln View Post
The executive mentioned the front suspension to be "Cushion suspension". The same is mentioned in the image (from the brochure) below.
Thanks, but need better pictures.

It will be interesting to see how MM spin doctors the reduced suspension travel. 'Sports Suspension' maybe.

Regards
Sutripta
Old 14th October 2014, 05:23   #1035
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by methecupid View Post
Another query to the people here who have driven the older Scorpio. Is having no arm rest on the door pad a hindrance to comfort. I use it extensively during my city drives, but the lower variants of the new Scorpio doesn't have them; similar to the outgoing one.
Here is a pic of the interiors taken from the Scorpio LX MHawk verison, which i owned previously. As you can see, this does not have the arm rests both on the door pads, as well as on the seat. What i used to do is have the steering set kinda low, and then rest my right arm on the door sill, holding the steering in a 3 o'clock position. The other alternative i used was holding the steering in a 6 o'clock position.

2014 Mahindra Scorpio Facelift (W105). EDIT: Now launched at Rs. 7.98 lakhs-interiors.jpg

I have done a lot of long drives on the Scorpio, and didnt find it too much of a bother.

Last edited by benbsb29 : 14th October 2014 at 05:24. Reason: Typo corrected.
benbsb29 is online now   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed