Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread

Old 14th May 2013, 12:15   #61
BHPian

Default Re: Mahindra to offer a Verito based hatchback called the 'Vibe'

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACM View Post
I do feel the Vibe looks good - especially from the rear and rear 3/4ths.

Many would thing this is either a hatch or a notch back while it actually is a sedan designed to look like a hatch. Yet no Rear Wiper in Top Model - Not a Hatch.

The Boot opening angles will make access to luggage quite difficult.
It looks like a throwback to the old hatchback designs that had an arched rear something like the SS80 and Uno.Also,it seems as though M&M designers were inspired by the Fiesta hatch.The rear looks nice,it's different so many people might not like it.I wish they had done something to the front end to distinguish it from the Verito 3box.
Are you saying it won't have a proper hatch at the rear?That would be a serious downfall considering the Indian consumer does not like a car which does something differently.
Old 14th May 2013, 12:25   #62
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marauder View Post
Are you saying it won't have a proper hatch at the rear?That would be a serious downfall considering the Indian consumer does not like a car which does something differently.
I am saying that it May not be a Hatch in the true sense. It could be a Sedan designed to look like an Hatch back. The Glass may be a fixed one and the Boot could open separately.

Unlike in the superb the glass opens with the boot or the boot opens separately. Here the Glass does not open at all - Just like in a sedan. OR it could be like in the Laura. In any case they seem to have attempted a Dzire or Indigo CS kind of shorter Verito (while attempting to be cohesive like the Amaze) and had to do this as this did not have too much space left at the rear for a shorter Sedan.

A hatch back increases cost to a higher level than a sedan as the mechanism and body strengthening required to do it would cost a lot so if a hatch there will be no major saving. Here while shortening the vehicle they did not have too much space to play with at the rear to give it a proper Sedan look so they it seems have given it a Hatch look. Of course am not too sure of this. But that is what it looks to me.

Last edited by ACM : 14th May 2013 at 12:39.
Old 14th May 2013, 12:35   #63
BHPian

Quote:
The Glass will probably be a fixed one and the Boot will open separately.

Unlike in the superb the glass opens with the boot or the boot opens separately. Here the Glass does not open at all - Just like in a sedan.

they did not have too much space to play with at the rear to give it a proper Sedan look so they it seems have given it a Hatch look but infact it is a sedan. Of course am not too sure of this. But that is what it looks to me.
Yes,that's what I was asking.Thanks for explaining it clearly.I think it would be negative point that it does not open like a conventional hatchback if that's the case.Especially,among the conservative folk.
I hope they price it well,5 lakhs for the base model should be a good price.
Old 14th May 2013, 12:47   #64
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marauder View Post
Yes,that's what I was asking.Thanks for explaining it clearly.I think it would be negative point that it does not open like a conventional hatchback if that's the case.Especially,among the conservative folk.
I hope they price it well,5 lakhs for the base model should be a good price.
Don't want to start of a chain of misleading posts. So would like to clarify that am just implying that there is something odd about the rear and there are no snaps with the boot open, so it is not really clear exactly how it will open. It could be the way I mentioned or the normal way. But that is not very clear for sure. Could of course be the conventional manner. But for sure this does not call for a big saving on the full size sedan in any manner. (If we remember the Honda Jazz Hatchback was reported to cost Honda more than the City if they were to just look at the Body and the Glass.)

So if M&M are going to price this much better than the Logan they need to do something different.
Old 14th May 2013, 13:02   #65
Senior - BHPian

Somehow i think its not that bad. I am sure Mahindra will price it very aggressively and use the 1.5 motor they have developed on their own which is on Quanto. With that they will be able to price it very competitively. Many tier II & III cities people will buy it as its from Mahindra. It will be spacious for sure as its based on Verito (Logan). Also it looks like it will have good amount of boot as well.

In the blue shade actually its not looking that bad. In other shades as well i guess it will look better. Rear end part actually looks different. Its not very good but not that bad either. Remember one thing guys, in India strange looking cars sells more than conventional types
Old 14th May 2013, 13:18   #66
BHPian

It's a good design. As in good for 1993, when I was 13 years old.

Coming from an owner's perspective of the Logan, the car is practical, comfortable & spacious.
Frankly, Mahindra's design team isn't good for beauty pageants. "Quirky" is how I would describe their designs.
If Mahindra is eyeing a piece of the pie, that is not going to happen.
It doesn't look like they will get any volumes upwards of 1500-1800 units (Sedan & Hatchback combined). But then, for M&M that may be a faster way to recover the investments (400Cr? I guess so) if they've not figured out how to recover it so far.

The Logan with Mahindra is an example of the classis case of a Coconut in Monkey's hands. They have no clue what to do with it.
Maybe they should have left the Logan with Renault and we would have probably seen the 2nd gen around now and eventually allowed it to die in about 3 years from now.

With this move, Mahindra seems to be speeding to the end.

Purely as a product, am I willing to let go of my 5 year old Logan.
Definitely not yet. But that's another story.
Old 14th May 2013, 16:19   #67
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/2 (10)

Quote:
Originally Posted by karpusv View Post

The Logan with Mahindra is an example of the classis case of a Coconut in Monkey's hands. They have no clue what to do with it.
Maybe they should have left the Logan with Renault and we would have probably seen the 2nd gen around now and eventually allowed it to die in about 3 years from now.

With this move, Mahindra seems to be speeding to the end.

Purely as a product, am I willing to let go of my 5 year old Logan.
Definitely not yet. But that's another story.
I am sure M&M pays royalty to Renault and also have limitation on what they can do with this car(both interior and exterior) along with the engine. As you mentioned, i am sure they must be trying to get back their investment and concentrate their R&D towards next generation SUVs and light engine.

So till that time, Vibe+Verito can bring them sales of 2-3K per month(taxis?) just like what they did with Quanto+Xylo
Old 14th May 2013, 16:53   #68
BHPian

Is it just me or does the rear 3/4 really resemble the Palio??
Attached Thumbnails
Mahindra to offer a Verito based hatchback called the 'Vibe'-picture1.png  

2000rpm is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 14th May 2013, 17:22   #69
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Don't want to start of a chain of misleading posts. So would like to clarify that am just implying that there is something odd about the rear and there are no snaps with the boot open, so it is not really clear exactly how it will open. It could be the way I mentioned or the normal way. But that is not very clear for sure. Could of course be the conventional manner. But for sure this does not call for a big saving on the full size sedan in any manner. (If we remember the Honda Jazz Hatchback was reported to cost Honda more than the City if they were to just look at the Body and the Glass.)

So if M&M are going to price this much better than the Logan they need to do something different.

Indeed the glass looks like a fixed one and the rear hatch might open Pick up style!! So it could end up being used as a Vibe Hatch Pick-up!
Old 14th May 2013, 18:34   #70
BHPian

Design of this sort is not expected from the no. 1 R&D of Mahindras. Looks flawlessly shabby to me. They should have worked little more on this. This is hardly going to sell. All my best wishes to Mahindras.

They should rather work on a completely new car.
Old 14th May 2013, 18:37   #71
Distinguished - BHPian

Well because the front end has that 90s look, Mahindra could not do a trendy 2013 design on the back lest it looks mismatched F-R.

Hence the old school Christmas tree lights?
Old 14th May 2013, 19:17   #72
Senior - BHPian

Logan/Verito is one of the spacious sedan's I have travelled in that price range. I also like the engine that powers the car and wished that M&M/Renault can create a good design on the same platform and sell it at a slightly higher price(as in a new model).

This hatch design looks pre-dated and out of pocket for the times!
Old 15th May 2013, 11:49   #73
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000rpm View Post
Also the Taillights look inspired by the CRV.
Old 15th May 2013, 16:59   #74
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
That's not even a rear 3/4th view. And no, both look as different as chalk and cheese in my opinion.
Old 16th May 2013, 00:39   #75

Quote:

Guys check out this original link.
http://indianautosblog.com/2013/05/m...s-itself-75771

It shows the new hatch very much up and close.
And am shocked that Mahindra plans to launch this vehicle amidst the sweltering competiton, the 'Vibe" won't even be felt before it melts away.
inder28 is offline   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread