Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Old 21st June 2012, 16:30   #151
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony05

On Tuesday morning, on my way to Mangalore the low fuel lights lightened up. the reading at that point was 27,986.

Initially, before the light had lightened at 27,490 kms mark and then i had refilled with 37.18 liters of Diesel.

I then travelled for 496 kms, with an average consumption of 13.4 kmpl

This means that I have consumed 496 / 13.4 that is 37.02 litres, against the original filling of 37.18 litres. I have been short filled by 160 ml, which comes to 4.3 ml for every liter, which we think can be considerable amount. If the discussion going on is believed then it means that the petrol bunks are resorting to adding of addictives to cover their loses

At the end of the day it is the consumer which is loosing out.
Dude i mean seriously you were able to calculate a differnce of 160 ml just through your MID, am amazed

Just for the record 25 ml per 5 litres is the permissible limit for variation, do the math!
Born 2 Be Wild is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21st June 2012, 16:51   #152
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: The Petrol Pump Story - How Petrol Pumps Operate

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony05 View Post
This means that I have consumed 496 / 13.4 that is 37.02 litres, against the original filling of 37.18 litres. I have been short filled by 160 ml, which comes to 4.3 ml for every liter, which we think can be considerable amount.
5ml is the amount of holy water given in a temple. That amount fuel can drive the car for say 50 meters. Compared 10~13KM, 50m is negligible and the odometer even don't recognize this distance.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tony05 View Post
@dockap: well here the basic assumption is that the economy shown in my MID is the accurate one, if that is true the whole discussion is also to be believed then they might be resorting to hitech ways of adding additives in the fuel
Was the car on flat surface when low fuel indicator came on both the times? A small tilt will give wrong figure.

Last edited by msdivy : 21st June 2012 at 16:54.
msdivy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st June 2012, 20:58   #153
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Born 2 Be Wild View Post
Dude i mean seriously you were able to calculate a differnce of 160 ml just through your MID, am amazed

Just for the record 25 ml per 5 litres is the permissible limit for variation, do the math!
I'm really sorry as I'm unable understand wether your being sarcastic of amazed. As i said before my MID showed up the Kms travelled between the two refills and the average consumption, from which I calculated the petrol consumed. On subtracting the same with the originally filled capacity gave me the difference.

Quote:
Originally Posted by msdivy View Post
5ml is the amount of holy water given in a temple. That amount fuel can drive the car for say 50 meters. Compared 10~13KM, 50m is negligible and the odometer even don't recognize this distance.

Was the car on flat surface when low fuel indicator came on both the times? A small tilt will give wrong figure.
There might be a small tilt, but both times I was definitely not on slopes
tony05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th November 2012, 22:55   #154
BHPian

Thank you for this useful information. Wish I had access to it when I was designing a petrol pump for a project.
TheQuarterMile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd March 2013, 10:03   #155

I would like to share this video here by Headlines Today, the news channel. Please have a look at it. It reiterates what I have said in the OP.

http://www.istream.com/news/watch/30...l-pump-robbery
aplang1 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 24th May 2014, 23:22   #156

Exclamation Re: The Petrol Pump Story - How Petrol Pumps Operate

Another link explaining the rampant practice of shortchanging customers!!
aplang1 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 15th April 2016, 19:11   #157
SBR
BHPian

Reviving an old thread....

I would like to share my experience at Sai Vishnu BPCL outlet in Kasturi Nagar, Bangalore.

A classic way of conning customer's. I went in and asked for tank full diesel. As soon as the tank was topped up, the attendant at the bunk didn't allow me to stand there and asked me to move my car ahead in a hurry to make way for next car. The meter was set to zero before I could make note of the amount to be paid. I gave my card, I was charged Rs. 1877/- which I promptly paid and I was made to leave the station in a hurry.

However, later I remembered that I had filled only about 34 litres of diesel which costs Rs. 1785 (approx) as per current rates. An overcharge of Rs. 92/- to an un suspecting customer.

I hold myself responsible for this as I was not alert enough to note the amount

This particular fuel pump will be avoided by me in future.
SBR is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14th July 2017, 10:46   #158
BHPian

There seams to be a new scam of short filling using chips. Widely in Gujarat and up.

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/c...w/59585578.cms
dsr_rpm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th July 2017, 14:42   #159
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsr_rpm View Post
There seams to be a new scam of short filling using chips. Widely in Gujarat and up.

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/c...w/59585578.cms
The mastermind of this scam is already arrested and law enforcement agencies are catching up on fuel pumps that have the so called chip.

More here.
moralfibre is offline   Reply With Quote