Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread

Old 3rd June 2012, 18:24   #46
BHPian

Default Re: May 2012 : Indian Car Sales Figures & Analysis

Seeing too many Etios Ds in the Bangalore's fleet segment. The decline Indigo numbers kinda confirms that the fleet operators are slowing moving away. Surprised to see the substantial fall in their Indica numbers.

Good to see Mahindra 'Rise' ing past Tata with only a handful of vehicles in their portfolio. With the Storme launch now postponed to the end of the year (as per info in another thread) and no other new launches in the offing, Tata might be concentrating all their effort to retain their high-margin CV market share (from Bharat Benz, Mahindra Navistar).
Old 3rd June 2012, 18:32   #47
Senior - BHPian

Great, M&M has overtaken TATA this time, gaining the 3rd position. I was expecting M&M to beat TATA some day or the other but I will wait for a few more months to say that M&M has actually challenged TATA.

As I could see a lot of Sumo GOLDs these days, I was thinking that the sales figures would rise to atleast the 5k mark. But Sumo still has a long way to go to touch the king of UVs - Bolero.

Eritga simply stormed this segment. A big opportunity lost by Toyota by not launching the Avanza. Xylo sales have not been affected by the Ertiga and it is the least popular Mahindra. We can say - a chink in Mahindra's armor!

Scorpio continues to shine and has been continuously selling 4-4.5k units every month. I guess the Bolero, Scorpio and XUV trio has managed to take Mahindra ahead of TATA.

Innova remains the king of this segment. The Eritga did nothing to affect it. The XUV continues to sell in great numbers despite bookings being limited. The Aria, as usual, is on it's way to extinction.
Old 3rd June 2012, 19:27   #48
Senior - BHPian

Thanks Jalsa777 and GTO!

Aria is selling it 60s for 2 months. Its the worst dud Tata has ever produced. Hope it teaches them a good lesson to price well in future.

The same goes for Ford too! Your new Fiesta continues to be a dud, the old one still manages soemdecent numbers. Ford - give it some serious consideration when you price the EcoSport.

Despite the Price cuts, Fluence continue to sell poorly.Renault, one good reason to start well with Duster.

Surprised Honda managed to do well despite the steep petrol hikes. They should nonetheless go full steam on Diesel. Brio is selling clsoe to 5K without diesel. Just imagine how it would do *with* Diesel - which according to reports, is coming soon.

I am surprised Vento is outselling Rapid. Rapid is slightly better to drive, is cheaper and more or less have everything else same. Looks like VW is able to justify paying a Premium for the brand. Or may be too many people are scared of Skoda brand.

No impact on Innova due to Ertiga, although Ertiga has sold awesomely. I dont think it created a new segemnt, it looks like the car took a lot of sales from Eeco and WagonR & Ritz. All three have dropped in 1000s.
Old 3rd June 2012, 23:05   #49
BHPian

Wonderful presentation GTO & Jalsa, as always.

Agree with skywalker.
Seems like Ertiga has snatched share from Ritz & Wagon-R.
Probably, buyers of these models are looking for spacious interiors at lowest possible price and not much concerned about looks. A few (actually a few thousand) of them wont mind spending 2-3 lacs more if they get considerably more space and seating capacity. And here comes Ertiga - a Godsend for these people.
Old 3rd June 2012, 23:19   #50
Distinguished - BHPian

The May 2012 car sales are again unveiling bags of surprises.The ups and downs may be quite life-taking for some models from respective car makers. The surprises in the sales charts are quite marked ever since the Maruti lock out and go slow months since mid- 2011. Since then nearly every month has shown things contrary to the expectations.
The dollar and the petrol prices are kill joys for May 2012 and the ramifications will be felt till things normalise. The dollar versus rupee equation will not ease until the outside flight of foreign capital is arrested. Coalition politics is the culprit here.
About petrol the less said the better. The oil PSU's are highly mismanaged and have become white elephants with their huge expenses outwitting their incomes. Also the subsidies on select fuels are suicidal.
We discuss these above facts as they are out to create long term dents on automobile sales.
So if its petrol powered and with imported components, the car should fall prey to the May Monster that has been unleashed last month into the auto market.
Honda is perhaps the only company that bucks the trend. Petrol and imported components, but it shows a sales growth.The coming months will be crucial for Honda however.
Toyota has also done too well. The Innova is breaking its previous records, but the Liva and Corolla Altis sales are going downhill.
Indian and diesel is the mantra now to take on the May Monster. Mahindra has it all and shows a positive growth in its total sales figures. The Verito though has lesser buyers.The XUV 500 is on every sub Rs 15 L SUV buyers mind. Another revelation is that the XUV has not at all hit the Scorpio sales.
Tata too has all the recipe, but its surprising to see the petrol Tata Nano outselling all other Tata models.The Safari sales are crashing. It has reported the lowest ever sales at 552.
The Figo keeps Ford going and so does the Beat for GM.
Renault launches models, but the sales are yet to pick up. The Pulse has hit a speed breaker with the 309 units reported.The Pulsar from Bajaj has "ar" instead of "e" but sells more than 309 units per month even in Tier II cities.
Nissan is again another car maker that is seeing good and bad times with the same model range.
Coming to Maruti,most of the petrol Marutis are down and out.But the Altos, Estilos, Wagon R's and other petrol variants will still continue to attract entry level car buyers. Not all buyers after all go to the Maruti showrooms with a Rs 5.5 L plus budget to get a diesel Maruti. The Eeco sales are also down.The Swifts and Dzires are the most wanted. The Ertiga is becoming a darling of the buyers lately.
HM Mitsubishi has remained largely and totally unaffected by these trends. The Ambassador at 250 units has seen May as the best, since about 6 months. The Lancer - Cedia sales have remained at 41- a quite normal figure.The Pajero at 61 sold 21 more units as compared to April.The sales graph for this company is among the least bothering - flat and at the lowermost horizon. After all, why do you have to bother when you have nothing at all ?
June and the later months will show which all companies and models are able to get going with the May Monster thats out, creating a new kind of market terror.

Last edited by anjan_c2007 : 3rd June 2012 at 23:25.
Old 3rd June 2012, 23:47   #51
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by windsurfer View Post
Oh!! How did i miss this? Are you sure?

Chevy site still lists Optra in product portfolio. Chevrolet Optra Magnum, Chevy Optra Diesel 2012 India, Chevrolet Optra Car India - Chevrolet India
This news was shared by the Chevy dealers in Chennai when one of my friend asked for the TD of Optra TCDI. The double and single digit sales figure tells it all. I don't know whey they still have the Optra in their website.

Last edited by rameshnanda : 3rd June 2012 at 23:53.
Old 4th June 2012, 08:09   #52
Distinguished - BHPian

Quite impressed with Honda. Pretty impressive numbers, considering the fact that they only have petrol variants in their portfolio. Jazz is steady and climbing up, and the pretty package Brio is closing the gap with the rivals. Itís almost there with the Figo, that too with no diesel advantage!

On the other hand, Ford clearly is on the reverse gear. If the Figo is excluded, their numbers are as pathetic as Renault.
Old 4th June 2012, 08:21   #53
Senior - BHPian

I'm not very sure where Ertiga has taken sales away from. From the sales figures the big casualties are Eeco (petrol only) and Indigo/Manza. I had expected C-segment sedans to be affected most by the Ertiga, but they seem to be doing similar numbers as earlier.

Honda numbers are interesting, but Honda also have had a lot of delays with the delivery of Jazz/Brio. This could just be a temporary spike in sales due to delayed booking being delivered now.
Old 4th June 2012, 11:05   #54
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarrySky View Post
I'm not very sure where Ertiga has taken sales away from. From the sales figures the big casualties are Eeco (petrol only) and Indigo/Manza. I had expected C-segment sedans to be affected most by the Ertiga, but they seem to be doing similar numbers as earlier.
Since these are sales figures from the manufacturer to dealer and the Ertiga is launched just now it will take couple of months to see which sales are impacted. I will say from within Maruti the SX4 will be impacted for sure.
Old 4th June 2012, 13:29   #55
BHPian

I think Maruti needs to seriously contemplate diesel version of the Wagon R. Despite strong shows by the new Swift and Ertiga, the company needs to concentrate on its strength, the sub 45--5 lakh segment!
Once the novelty of the Swift and Ertiga wear off, it will be left with too many duds in its portfolio. The A Star is as good as dead, and the Alto clearly is losing its sheen.
Re-jigging the Wagon R with a diesel pot could return good numbers for the most trusted manufacturer.
amitayu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th June 2012, 16:41   #56
Senior - BHPian

@Amit, I think Maruti needs to introduce diesel in all it's car models. I seriously feel that Estilo is the first one that should get a diesel variant; it is a very competant car but killed by its siblings.
Old 4th June 2012, 23:28   #57
BHPian

A excellent analysis yet again.early indications of a slow year ahead?quite possible
The major trends seen this month:
1.D segment sales have all crashed with the Cruze, Corolla, Civic reaching never seen lows, fluence and the Laura still struggling to catch up.The only reason i can think of is-the news of XUV opening bookings.
2.The 'Ertiga effect' is starting to show already.
-The ever consistent Tavera has fallen 50%. We are sure to see a rub-off on the Innova and the Xylo-once the booking backlogs get cleared (Xylo mainly due to production and operational inefficiencies rather than demand).
-Ritz gone down by 50%.
-Eeco down to 2K units
3.Tata motors reached their ever highest sales in march.Its been all downhill from there.the only thing holding them up to some respectability is the Nano numbers 8507-which probably would still not be enough for Tata to make any money out of the Nano.
4.The sales trend for Honda looks very peculiar esp. since Feb.its been up and down 25-30% MOM which clearly points to the fact that Honda is using the heavy hand in pushing vehicles to dealerships.
5.How the Scorpio remains so nonchalant to the XUV buzzing up its ear defies logic.probably because M&M has been able to convert all the excess XUV bookings to Scorpios...Smart eh?
Old 5th June 2012, 10:07   #58
BHPian

Great Compilation. Thanks GTO & Jalsa.

If Honda had diesel in India, it would have been sitting right on top in respective segments. Look at the numbers with petrol only models.
Jazz always deserved those, or even better numbers after that price drop. I am sure, it will further strengthen with supply constraints now behind them.

Surely Maruti has created a new segment with Ertiga & will be hard for competition to reach near those numbers any time in near or long future. ZDI is already commanding waiting period of 8 to 9 months.
Could not understand Wegon-R's numbers. It has been a consistent seller. (IMO petrol prices should be impacting next month's sales, if any).

Scorpio is the most consistent product, steadily doing 4 - 4.5k numbers for last so many months, unaffected by any kind of market scenario (read interest rates, year end, FY end, year begining etc.)

Good to see my favorite NANO now doing consistent 8 - 8.5k numbers. Common Tata, market has accepted NANO now, bring in variants with CNG & Diesel options.

Overall its been a poor month for Auto Industry & is not likely to get better in coming months. New launches will keep the market abuzz though.
Old 5th June 2012, 10:18   #59
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rameshnanda View Post
This news was shared by the Chevy dealers in Chennai when one of my friend asked for the TD of Optra TCDI. The double and single digit sales figure tells it all. I don't know whey they still have the Optra in their website.
If I am not mistaken, the figures quoted here are the number of cars pushed to the dealers by the manufacturers and if that is applicable to the Optra then it cannot be off the production list since a certain number (however small) have been given to the dealers. For some models dealers take the orders first and then place the order with manufacturer who then makes the car and sends it to the dealer. That could be the case with the Optra.

On another note, I don't think we should be reading too much into the numbers of the Ertiga and the i10 since these are new launches the respective manufacturers must be pushing cars to the dealers so that they are readily available to customers. We may have to wait a couple of months to see the real picture. I suspect the Ertiga will continue in the same vein though I am not so sure of the i20.
Old 5th June 2012, 10:51   #60
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amtak View Post
@Amit, I think Maruti needs to introduce diesel in all it's car models.
Considering the disparity in prices of Petrol and Diesel and the inability of the government to increase the excise duty on Diesel cars, government should ban making new petrol cars until the subsidy on Diesel is removed. Oil Companies could save money by not distributing petrol (infrastructure, import, distribution cost). If the current scenario continues for some more years, there will be only diesel cars on road, it will not be viable for oil companies to distribute petrol. Adopt market driven pricing for Petrol and Diesel, allow private companies to import fuel for internal use (Air lines, State RTCs) or distribution.
Closed Thread