Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 26th January 2013, 12:11   #166
Senior - BHPian
 
bluevolt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 2,824
Thanked: 1,862 Times
Default Re: Legal Alternatives to Sun Film

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trust_In_Thrust View Post
Do not even think to go in chandigarh . They will stop you as soon as they spot a out of city number plate .They will take a key and check if any film is there (even if you got 3MCR70) . They will remove it .They will also check all your documents .

I always feel why do we have different laws for different state makes me feel in a an alien land as and when we cross state boundaries.
Ok, No issue I will remove sun films from Honda City today only before heading out of station . Thanks
bluevolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th January 2013, 12:59   #167
BHPian
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Delhi
Posts: 241
Thanked: 99 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenren View Post
The black rectangular sun shades that you can stick to glasses using vacuum cups are probably more legal than this since you can use them while parking in the sun and remove them while driving.
No, apparently even those are not. I have seen a heap of these on the roadside, besides the debris of stripped off films.

Maybe you can use them in a parked car, but definitely not while driving.
LithiumSunset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th January 2013, 14:06   #168
Senior - BHPian
 
zenren's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: CLT/TVM/HYD
Posts: 2,578
Thanked: 1,720 Times
Default Re: Legal Alternatives to Sun Film

Quote:
Originally Posted by LithiumSunset View Post
Maybe you can use them in a parked car, but definitely not while driving.
Precisely my point. In case of the film option mentioned, you don't have a choice of removing them when driving, while the shades can be removed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenren View Post
you can use them while parking in the sun and remove them while driving.
zenren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th January 2013, 17:58   #169
BHPian
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Delhi
Posts: 241
Thanked: 99 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenren View Post

Precisely my point. In case of the film option mentioned, you don't have a choice of removing them when driving, while the shades can be removed.
Silly of me to have missed this part of your original post.
LithiumSunset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th January 2013, 15:18   #170
Newbie
 
bobbyvictor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 23
Thanked: 2 Times
Default Re: Legal Alternatives to Sun Film

Quote:
Originally Posted by arvindmanju View Post
even i was thinking in the same line, but what will be the cost of 3m CR70, i was told the film put on the front glass is very costly.
I checked this option out at HSR - 3M shop today , they quoted 15100 for the swift and 16200 for the new honda city. film looks pretty transparent would be a bit different to spot by the cops , bu then if u get caught then its 15k down the drain
bobbyvictor is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27th January 2013, 23:15   #171
BHPian
 
racer_m's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 243
Thanked: 139 Times
Default Re: Legal Alternatives to Sun Film

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbyvictor View Post
I checked this option out at HSR - 3M shop today , they quoted 15100 for the swift and 16200 for the new honda city. film looks pretty transparent would be a bit different to spot by the cops , bu then if u get caught then its 15k down the drain
Ok looks like the 3M guys are milking the no films rule. I got my front windshield done a year back for 7750/-, 15K and greater for the same is just plain
racer_m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th January 2013, 04:46   #172
BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 116
Thanked: 109 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by racer_m View Post

Ok looks like the 3M guys are milking the no films rule. I got my front windshield done a year back for 7750/-, 15K and greater for the same is just plain
I think these figures are for installing the films on all the windows and the rear glass. I remember they gave me a quote of around 20k in feb 2012, for my mid sized sedan and it includes the front windshield as well.
carrerastrax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th January 2013, 09:35   #173
Newbie
 
bobbyvictor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 23
Thanked: 2 Times
Default Re: Legal Alternatives to Sun Film

Quote:
Originally Posted by carrerastrax View Post
I think these figures are for installing the films on all the windows and the rear glass. I remember they gave me a quote of around 20k in feb 2012, for my mid sized sedan and it includes the front windshield as well.
yes Carreastrax: they are for all windows excluding the windshield. I also did a check at Reliance Autozone - they had stock of sunfilms , but inform that they dont fix it anymore as sunfilms are banned
bobbyvictor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th January 2013, 14:19   #174
BHPian
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Chandigarh
Posts: 198
Thanked: 32 Times
Default Re: Legal Alternatives to Sun Film

Fixed net filters on the premium segments like BMW are not legal as per law. You could be challaned if you deploy them, including the rear glass netting that is remote controlled on many of the BMW cars and comes as a optional package. (As per BMW Sales people).

And guys, we are talking about legal alternatives, not ways to fool cops or hide from them or quickly remove traces of the violation just commited.

Last edited by gharika : 28th January 2013 at 14:21.
gharika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th January 2013, 14:34   #175
BHPian
 
MindSpeeDs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: hyderabad
Posts: 116
Thanked: 78 Times
Default Re: Legal Alternatives to Sun Film

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbyvictor View Post
I checked this option out at HSR - 3M shop today , they quoted 15100 for the swift and 16200 for the new honda city. film looks pretty transparent would be a bit different to spot by the cops , bu then if u get caught then its 15k down the drain
Though not legal, the 3M CR90 is a safer bet as it is very very tough to detect it visually. Absolutely no shade. Does a reasonably good job of cutting the heat, UV and IR but not glare. Just the reason why they do not suggest it for the front windshield.
One must be really unlucky to get caught and penalized for using CR90.
I've been caught and penalized for using CR70 though.
MindSpeeDs is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28th January 2013, 14:44   #176
BANNED
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 230
Thanked: 73 Times
Default Re: Legal Alternatives to Sun Film

In Bangalore, I've seen several vehicles with Garvare Sun Films.

Yes, Garvare Sun Films are still available and apart from fixing the Sun Films, Garvare is giving one sticker to be pasted on one of the WindShield which says that Vehicle is fitted with Garvare Sun Films and are RTO Approved under Central Motor Vehicles Act. The sticker also depicts the sections no. of the act.
micrographics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th January 2013, 14:54   #177
Senior - BHPian
 
Schoudhury's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Blore/Dallas-TX
Posts: 1,069
Thanked: 468 Times
Default Re: Legal Alternatives to Sun Film

Quote:
Originally Posted by micrographics View Post
Garvare is giving one sticker to be pasted on one of the WindShield which says that Vehicle is fitted with Garvare Sun Films and are RTO Approved under Central Motor Vehicles Act. The sticker also depicts the sections no. of the act.
I think if the owner are stopped by the cops, they will still have to remove the same and will be fined .
Also i don't understand why are people using sunfilm's whereas it illegal now .
Schoudhury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th January 2013, 18:07   #178
BHPian
 
sumeshmani's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: bangalore
Posts: 480
Thanked: 99 Times
Default Re: Legal Alternatives to Sun Film

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schoudhury View Post
I think if the owner are stopped by the cops, they will still have to remove the same and will be fined .
Also i don't understand why are people using sunfilm's whereas it illegal now .
Mainly because not all places have good weather like Bangalore. I dearly miss my car's sun films when traveling on the highway under the midday sun.
Its the practicality that is so dear and not how cool it makes the car look.
sumeshmani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th January 2013, 19:25   #179
BHPian
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Anand, Gujarat / Virginia Beach, US
Posts: 457
Thanked: 175 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by gharika View Post
Fixed net filters on the premium segments like BMW are not legal as per law. You could be challaned if you deploy them, including the rear glass netting that is remote controlled on many of the BMW cars and comes as a optional package. (As per BMW Sales people).

And guys, we are talking about legal alternatives, not ways to fool cops or hide from them or quickly remove traces of the violation just commited.
Please check my earlier post on this thread. Those sun shades are very much legal as long as THEY ARE FACTORY FITTED. All the cars are homologated before their launch in India and are certified by government agency. They sport the sun shades at that time too. Moreover, law says you can not apply anything in the glass. However, these retractable curtains (black perforated materiel) in high ends are not on windows, but sit on the door frame.

Last edited by Nitrous Power : 28th January 2013 at 19:26.
Nitrous Power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th January 2013, 23:05   #180
Senior - BHPian
 
sourabhzen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: GURGAON
Posts: 1,427
Thanked: 1,161 Times
Default Re: Legal Alternatives to Sun Film

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumeshmani View Post
Mainly because not all places have good weather like Bangalore. I dearly miss my car's sun films when traveling on the highway under the midday sun.
Its the practicality that is so dear and not how cool it makes the car look.
Whatever it is, it is still illegal. Moreover, people care more about their 'comfort' than the respect for the law.
sourabhzen is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Sun Protection, without sun film - Options? tsk1979 Technical Stuff 55 17th December 2015 23:24
Sun Film or Security Film? lambuhere1 Modifications & Accessories 18 21st May 2013 11:57
V-KOOL sun film dealer in Bangalore? manishk13 Modifications & Accessories 3 1st February 2007 13:23
Sun film LandCruiser Technical Stuff 4 6th April 2006 08:55


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 06:06.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks