Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread

Old 21st November 2012, 18:30   #241
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Honda Brio Sedan to be launched in 2013. EDIT : To be called "AMAZE"

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
I hope they do not learn to fatten the charges by adding all sorts of sprays, trying to sell a decoke (even on cars with <10k) and a flush, etc. My Accent was more expensive to maintain than the Civic is!!
Well I think your regular service charges are but a minuscule percentage of overall ownership cost. I normally wouldnt worry about them too much. Its not like these companies charge an absolute bomb! Hyundai service is still pretty much affordable. And they have 6 months service intervals while Honda has 3 months!! What do you have to say about that?

I'll still be OK with bit higher maintenance costs provided service is good. But if the service center is going to be 100 KM away then that is not a good thing! Imagine having to drive 200KM for regular service or having to tow your vehicle 100KM if there is a need!!!
Old 21st November 2012, 18:54   #242
BHPian

Default Re: Honda Brio Sedan to be launched in 2013. EDIT : To be called "AMAZE"

I mistook the Brio with the verna old model.
These manufacturers have gone dry on new ideas!
Atleast the new City is a face saver
Old 21st November 2012, 19:09   #243
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarathlal View Post
Amaze and City is to get the 1.3 to 1.5 L class engines.
I dont think this info is right. Amaze will continue to have the 1.2L ivtec petrol motor. There is hardly no need of a higher motor as it weighs comparatively less. Further, it will benefit from taxes as well. However, the next gen City will get an upgraded motor, which , i hope is the one which they showcased along with Earthdreams engine, couple of months back.

Last edited by akhil_rpmlover : 21st November 2012 at 19:11.
Old 21st November 2012, 19:56   #244
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akhil_rpmlover View Post
I dont think this info is right. Amaze will continue to have the 1.2L ivtec petrol motor.
You are right with respect to the 1.2 L petrol engine, but what I was talking about is the new diesel engine. Amaze will be getting the 1.5L I-Dtec
Old 21st November 2012, 20:28   #245
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarathlal

You are right with respect to the 1.2 L petrol engine, but what I was talking about is the new diesel engine. Amaze will be getting the 1.5L I-Dtec
1.2L is officially actually a derivative of the 1.3L for excise savings in India. Just like the 1.5L iDTEC of the 1.6L. Stroke is the only difference.
spinfreak is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st November 2012, 21:26   #246
Distinguished - BHPian

http://www.livemint.com/Leisure/D0iW...-to-Amaze.html

Quoting from the above link.

But perhaps the biggest strength of all is the Brio’s new 1.5-litre diesel engine. It’s the downsized version of Honda’s new 1.6-litre engine for the European market, with a lot of weight-saving features to make it the lightest engine in its class. Honda hasn’t disclosed power figures yet but we expect power to be in the region of 90bhp and 21kgm of torque. The engine is tuned for good drivability in typical Indian city conditions and that’s something that came shining through within a few minutes of our drive. Part throttle responses are good, there’s good pulling power from as low as 1,200rpm. If there’s a weakness it’s that the engine doesn’t like to be revved, which is quite unusual for a Honda. Power tapers off quite drastically after 3,800rpm and then begins to feel laboured.

In view of this it’s best to change gears early via the slick shifting five-speed gearbox and light clutch. The drivability aspect apart, the engine also scores on refinement. It’s quiet at idle and only gets noisy post 3,000rpm"
Old 21st November 2012, 21:55   #247
Distinguished - BHPian

I am kind of getting a little irritated with some of these reviews. I don't understand why people are bothered with the power / noise beyond 3000 rpm. This is also told to be a pre-production model, so I expect a disclaimer right next to this statement. We are talking about an entry level diesel and do we really have an engine south of 15L which revvs freely or is really silent?

Weird expectation to say the least. On the other hand I have not really come across many (or any) diesel engines which are as responsive from 1200 rpm. Also 3000 rpm on top gear would mean some one doing close to 140 kmph. Is this a car designed to do that kind of speeds consistently?

Edit: For those who wonder what triggered this outrage, that's the statement in the review "quite unusual for a Honda". Has this guy ever driven a Honda diesel to make such a statement? Or because Honda petrols are free revving, the diesel is also supposed to be free revving? Crazy!!

Last edited by swiftnfurious : 21st November 2012 at 22:06.
Old 21st November 2012, 22:21   #248
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious
On the other hand I have not really come across many (or any) diesel engines which are as responsive from 1200 rpm.
I have a doubt here. Going by the initial reviews, it is mentioned that the engine is responsive from as low as 1200 rpm. Is it possible to extract something like that from a 1.5 liter diesel engine?

If yes, why is such a thing not present in other small diesel engines? If its true, I feel it will aid in good city drivability.
Old 21st November 2012, 22:32   #249
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rufus_M

I have a doubt here. Going by the initial reviews, it is mentioned that the engine is responsive from as low as 1200 rpm. Is it possible to extract something like that from a 1.5 liter diesel engine?

If yes, why is such a thing not present in other small diesel engines? If its true, I feel it will aid in good city drivability.
Probably its something to do with tuning. Am not so sure of the technicalities. Other engines like K9K on Micra & Logan / Verito, Quanto (all 1.5 engines) are quite responsive from low rpms. As you said, these engine will be really nice to drive in city traffic.

Last edited by swiftnfurious : 21st November 2012 at 22:33.
swiftnfurious is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd November 2012, 10:24   #250
BHPian

New images leaked ahead of Thailand launch.

http://indianautosblog.com/2012/11/h...pictures-55381

I think it looks better than Dzire. Now only if pricing is right, it will sell like hot cakes and give Maruti Suzuki jitters!

Last edited by rock75 : 23rd November 2012 at 10:27.
Old 23rd November 2012, 10:50   #251
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
Probably its something to do with tuning. Am not so sure of the technicalities. Other engines like K9K on Micra & Logan / Verito, Quanto (all 1.5 engines) are quite responsive from low rpms. As you said, these engine will be really nice to drive in city traffic.
I don't know the exact logic but if the bhp per CC is high, the lower end response is less (turbo lag is there) in most cases ! It maybe be because turbo size is bigger for the engine and it takes more time and rpm to come to action.

MJD,CRDi,TCDi (Cruze),K9K(110 bhp) have great bhp per CC so lag is there.

TDCi 1.4, K9K (62bhp) have less bhp per CC so lag is almost absent

TDi (Vento), K9K (85bhp) lie some where inbetween.

Honda 1.5D with 90 bhp means small turbo and hence less lag.
I can be wrong with my observation here
Old 23rd November 2012, 11:42   #252
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rock75 View Post
I think it looks better than Dzire. Now only if pricing is right, it will sell like hot cakes and give Maruti Suzuki jitters!
To each, his own. But I think the new DZire is much sportier compared to Amaze. Also, the Amaze looks like the 2nd gen Honda City to me, which is not a beauty content winner either.
Attached Images

Old 23rd November 2012, 11:57   #253
BHPian

Mod Note : GTO's comprehensive Honda Amaze Review is located at this link (Honda Amaze : Official Review). Please continue the discussion over on the new thread.

This thread is closed.

it's not just because of looks that it will sell (however the look is not a deal breaker in amaze) It will sell because it is having great petrol and hopefully great diesel engines in a sub 4 m compact sedan package from a reputed maker without huge waiting period, now the only piece missing from the equation is price! I hope Honda doesn't do a 'Jazz' here.

ps: it seems that amaze has more cabin and boot space from pics, however I may be wrong.

Last edited by GTO : 1st April 2013 at 17:44. Reason: Adding link to review
Closed Thread