Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Old 28th June 2012, 17:41   #16
BHPian

Default Re: Finally! Chevrolet to phase out Optra, Aveo and U-VA

Quote:
Originally Posted by _raVan_ View Post
Introduction of Sail is welcome in lieu of Aveo, but what is going to replace Optra? Though it has dated interiors, it has a stonker of an engine that would put other cars of its segment biting its dust and has great roomy interiors.
Technically, its the Cruze that has replaced the Optra. The Optra was based on the Daewoo Lacetti platform, with minimal modifications. The Cruze is the next car on the Lacetti platform, which was taken over by GMDAT. They changed the name of the platform to 'Delta'. The new Lacetti is also based on the same platform.

Like Skoda continued to sell the Octavia in India while they launched unfortunately named Laura as a different car, and like Suzuki sold 3 versions of the swift (including esteem) at one time, Chevy was just extending the life of the old version.
mudittandon is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28th June 2012, 20:01   #17
Team-BHP Support

Neither the Sail nor the U-VA was a great seller so it defies all logic that GM would name the new model "U-VA Sail". I wish them luck but they are clearly floundering in the dark here.
noopster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th June 2012, 22:13   #18
Distinguished - BHPian

Optra--- has done a decent job but its too dated now and needs to go for sure.

Aveo ---one of the most proportionate and prettiest cars in the segment. looks good even today. Sad that it never caught on.
Wrong timing+no diesels+average engines+poor marketing. Sad to see it go

UV-A--hard to believe its related the Aveo sedan. Styling dud of the decade. To add insult to injury the MCR (mid-cycle refresh) never made it to India.

Gotta agree, brand UVA needs to be buried for good.
Mpower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th June 2012, 23:47   #19
BHPian

The only car worth its salt in the range was the optra magnum, purely because of the diesel motor in it. The Aveo has to be one of the dullest cars around, with no character and defining feature going for it. The UVA, well, the less said the better. I hope chevy brings in more cars like the cruze and beat to India, instead of giving us the old world treatment and showering us with rebadges of cheap acquisitions like daewoo..
wantarangerover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th June 2012, 09:10   #20
BHPian

Hello Friends, This news is certainly confusing me. I am looking to buy a Used Optra LT Diesel and now I am hoping they continue services/spares-stock for the Optra. Do we have any news about the support for their Older Used models yet? Should we expect them to support them like they did for Matiz etc??

Last edited by Zenster : 29th June 2012 at 09:14.
Zenster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th June 2012, 09:28   #21
BHPian

That is some news. Hardly 6 months back when I was hunting for a car and almost feel in love with the optra on pictures and internet talk only to be disappointed in reality, even though the sales executive promised that optra is here to say owing to the sky rocketing petrol price.
Its too old to stay in the market. The guzzling diesel powered engine of optra does not make any sense to me in present times.
At one hand they had the optra, aveo, UVa and the other Beat, cruze. Confused range of cars I would say
Its a welcome change and hope they build their SUV market too.
Visaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th June 2012, 09:42   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wantarangerover
The only car worth its salt in the range was the optra magnum, purely because of the diesel motor in it. The Aveo has to be one of the dullest cars around, with no character and defining feature going for it. The UVA, well, the less said the better. I hope chevy brings in more cars like the cruze and beat to India, instead of giving us the old world treatment and showering us with rebadges of cheap acquisitions like daewoo..
I love even the petrol motor - even though I have te 1.6.

Btw - the cruze is also practically a rebadge Most of their new small cars (small by US classification) are based on the GMDAT (erstwhile daewoo) platform..
mudittandon is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 29th June 2012, 10:31   #23
BHPian

Now that the Optra is to be phased out, I guess it's time to hit the Service Center to get all the broken/damaged parts replaced pronto. Hopefully they will be able to order the parts in case they are not in stock.

What would you recommend once the models are phased out? Should owners continue to get the cars serviced from the Authorized Service Centers? Or should they move over to a Friendly Neighborhood Garage? Considering old cars like the Optra and all, does it make more sense getting them serviced from outside?
sourav9385 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th June 2012, 11:06   #24
BHPian

Why won't GM bring the Sonic to India

2012 Chevrolet Sonic | Small Car | Chevrolet

It looks good and can compete with the Dzire and even the Fiesta. In fact the could price this between the Dzire and the Cruze to ensure that there is a car available at most price points. However, for this to work they would have to price the Sail lower than the Sonic which might be tough. Given a choice I would bring in the sonic (sedan and hatch) instead of the Sail. The U-va and the Aveo haven't really done too well here and this might be a good chance to start afresh and get rid of the old image as well.

The cars should be

1) Beat (4-5 L category)
2) Sonic hatch (5-7 L category)
3) Sonic sedan (6-9 L category)
4) Cruze (13-16 L category)
5) Captiva (17-18 L Category)
6) Traverse/Trailblazer (18-22 L category)
7) Comaro (40-45 L Category) --- CBU of course

This should give them a car in each of the segments except the 10-12 L C2 segment where the Optra did duty. However, given the current market they can expect buyers to consider the Sonic against the likes of the verna and vento. This would allow them the Cruze to continue having its own unique identity and be the flagship sedan and not worry about a cheaper/newer model eat its pie. I fear that if they were to bring in a optra replacement it will eat into the Cruze's pie and maybe even render it useless.

I was browsing through the GM thailand site and found that the trailblazer is cheaper than the captiva. Well if they did that here, then what would be the point of the captiva? I hope they price the captiva against the XUV.

On a personal note, I would want them to launch the Volt in India and price it at around 17-19 L but for that to happen our government will have to give some incentives for car makers to launch the "green cars". I am clearly expecting too much from our govt!!!

Last edited by HKap : 29th June 2012 at 11:16. Reason: I checked the trailblazer pricing after my initial post
HKap is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 29th June 2012, 11:16   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourav9385 View Post
Now that the Optra is to be phased out, I guess it's time to hit the Service Center to get all the broken/damaged parts replaced pronto.

What would you recommend once the models are phased out? Should owners continue to get the cars serviced from the Authorized Service Centers?
If you are planning to keep the Optra for say ~5 more years, suggest stocking up the OE parts, though I am not sure how much it will fetch in the used car market, 5 years down the line. Spares of Astra, Corsa or any of those GM cars are difficult to source these days. Perhaps, you may get the cheaper (second quality) chinese spares with some hunting around, which is not recommended in the first place.

Not to sound pessimistic, but the fate of GM car owners has not been very pleasant. Hope it all changes with the company's new strategies, at-least for the Optra, Cruze and the Captiva!
jeeva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th June 2012, 11:31   #26
BHPian

It surely is a welcome news from GM though late to party. What remains to be seen is the spec of engines in Sail hatch and Sedan. I have found GM cars to be good handler hope it stays that way. So the hatch-sedan portfolio would be Spark, Beat, Sail hatch, Sail Sedan and Cruze. With the national Engine(1.3L) in Sail cars we can definitively expect some volumes(pricing would be critical) as Beat has been consistent ever since diesel was introduced. Any pics of Enjoy MPV they are talking about ?
Safari_Sid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th June 2012, 19:36   #27
BHPian

Default Re: Finally! Chevrolet to phase out the Optra, Aveo and U-VA

Yes, that is obvious, since most chevorlets are rebadges of the numerous brands GM hsa gobbled up. But at least Opel lent a helping hand in the development of the cruze, even though GM Daewoo designed it apparently.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mudittandon View Post
Btw - the cruze is also practically a rebadge
wantarangerover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th June 2012, 19:51   #28
BHPian

I tried in one of the dealerships to buy one of the last diesel optras if possible provided if given at a good price , but only to be informed that all the optra's have been sold at a mouth watering price to all the employees of GM a couple of months back.
mjkaushal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th June 2012, 19:17   #29
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
The SAIL will be offered as a hatchback and a notchback. This model will replace the current Aveo line up. In fact the SAIL hatchback has been christened as the SAIL U-VA. Incidentally the SAIL will be offered with a 1.4 litre petrol and a 1.3 litre diesel. The diesel unit is the licensed Multi Jet from Fiat and it is a proven engine here in India as well. The notchback will compete against the entry level midsize sedans such as the Dzire, Verito and Etios

Chevrolet Sail U-VA to get 1.4 and 1.3 litre petrol and diesel engines - The Economic Times
volkman10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th October 2012, 11:00   #30
j76
BHPian

Today on my way to work I followed what I think is the camouflaged Chevrolet Enjoy and Chevrolet Sail sedan. Both had GJ registration. The Sail sedan had lcd monitors integrated into the front seat headrests and the interiors looked well equipped. Couldnt get any snaps as I was in driving along as well. The sedan looked bland from the exterior and looked boring.
j76 is offline   Reply With Quote