Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread

Old 18th July 2012, 23:37   #106
BHPian

Default Re: Tata loses third spot to M&M

Quote:
Originally Posted by John View Post
Where do they go from here?
There is one trick in the hat for TATA that M&M does not have, a big advantage. They have JLR. If TATA can start to port the JLR tech into the Indian models, localize the production of this technology, create a new theme on JLR based models clearly distinguishing them from the Indica/Indigo/Sumo range then they surely can not just take on M&M, but most other international players too.

For product companies it a build or buy, TATA has made their decision on buy. They need to capitalize on it. I am sure, as we talk about it they already have this in their works.

You can't get more milage from a dead horse and this is true for the current line up of all TATA vehicles except for the Aria. which needs just a price correction.

M&M will need a lot of years of R&D to catch up with the JLR standards, and that give TATA a head start. I am pinning my bets on the Merlin to see if they have done a POC on tech port from JLR.

For TATA it might be the clam before the "storm!".
man_and_machine is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th July 2012, 07:35   #107
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: June 2012 : Indian Car Sales Figures & Analysis

Another drop in sales for TATA. Now its the JAGUAR.

Quote:
Tata Motors said June sales of its Jaguar brand declined while Land Rover deliveries rose, driven by strong demand for the Range Rover Evoque SUV.
Jaguar deliveries fell 5 percent to 3,829 units, while Land Rover sales gained 49 percent to 24,386
Old 19th July 2012, 10:07   #108
Senior - BHPian

They need to introduce volumes model in Jaguar. XJ and XJL are sit much higher in the priceband (India and I believe other parts too); how about some C class/A class models?
Old 19th July 2012, 12:23   #109
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
• Chevrolet & Ford, both, carve out a bigger slice of the pie as compared to May 2012. The Beat is GM’s star performer, while the face-lifted Cruze is having a good time too.
So the Cruze stands at 557, second only to the Laura which is at 643.
The Fluence is a market dud, and the Corolla's numbers dwindle every month despite the fact that it's seeing volumes with fleet operators. Or perhaps, it's because of the Fleet Operator effect that it's losing ground?

Quote:
At the luxury end, the Jetta has a sales spike, but the Passat simply isn't able to touch its more illustrious cousin (the Skoda Superb).
VW just doesn't seem to get it, do they? The Jetta competes in the same segment as the Cruze and Laura and yet those two manage at least twice the sales that the Jetta does. Are they guilty of continuously underestimating their competition?

Quote:
• A superb month for Skoda, tough market notwithstanding. The Laura shoots to the top of the D1 segment, while the Rapid records its best month of the year (outshining the more expensive & identical Vento by a noticeable margin). The Superb also reigns at the top of the D2 sedan segment.
Fantastic month for the Laura!! A 3x sales jump from May to June? Any thoughts on why this is, GTO?

Quote:
• It’s a good month for the Sunny which climbs back to a healthy 3,000 level. Not much else to cheer about at the Nissan HQ as even the Micra is floundering.
• No new comments on Fiat, Renault or HM. I'll only mention the Duster (being launched this week); with the amount of interest that the compact SUV has generated, it might just change Renault’s fortunes in India.
It's interesting that despite some good cars, Fiat's never managed to get their finger on the pulse of the Indian market. Their line-up only has two cars, for pete's sake. Even Nissan and Renault - the new kids on the block - have more. No wonder Fiat's sales have always been abysmal.

Quote:
• Honda’s Yo-Yo performance is back...June sees it at the bottom of the ladder, just above Fiat. May 2012 was an awesome month for the Japanese brand, but it was clearly stuffing dealer inventories with more than what was necessary. Every Honda car, from the Brio to the Accord, has had a disastrous June 2012. Diesel engines could turn the tide though (Brio Diesel Scoop).
So the Civic continues to be dead in the water. Honda's apathy to the Indian customer began to bite them in the butt a couple of years ago but they were either too blind or too arrogant to care. It's not just the sales volumes of the Civic that tell the story, it's the attitude the market has towards the car. A friend of mine just turned down a pre-owned Civic (decent condition: not spectacular, but nothing amiss either) for 4 lacs. When I asked him if he'd hypothetically consider a used Corolla in the same condition for the same money he said he'd jump at it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by man_and_machine View Post
For TATA it might be the clam before the "storm!".
I prefer oysters, actually.

Last edited by ghostrider : 19th July 2012 at 12:25.
Old 20th July 2012, 12:25   #110
BHPian

Tata motors needs to wake up and get its act together really quickly. The Aria was a superb product but lost out due to some nonsensical pricing. Who in their right mind would pay more for Tata product as compared to Toyota Innova. One lac cheaper than the Innova and the Aria would have taken half the volume that the Innova is doing in the charts above. Even with a price cut now, I think the time for Aria is over. People have perceived it as a failure and forgotten about it.
Even the Safari refresh is taking ages to come out meanwhile XUV has completely captured the market. Wake up Tata!
Old 20th July 2012, 19:16   #111
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostrider View Post
It's not just the sales volumes of the Civic that tell the story, it's the attitude the market has towards the car. A friend of mine just turned down a pre-owned Civic (decent condition: not spectacular, but nothing amiss either) for 4 lacs. When I asked him if he'd hypothetically consider a used Corolla in the same condition for the same money he said he'd jump at it.
:( Isnt the reaction a little bit immaturish? IMO, Civic is a great car, its main problem being, its running on petrol. And this attributes to the market attitude.

I still believe, if its an enthusiast, Civic is a no brainer in the present used car market, iff petrol isnt the deal breaker. Corolla is a good car, but in this context, it doesn't stand a chance.
Old 20th July 2012, 19:45   #112
BHPian

Has motorbeam copying the sales reports without acknowledging Team-BHP. Please see following link.

For June
June 2012 Sales Figures and Analysis | MotorBeam - Indian Car Bike News & Reviews

For May
May 2012 Sales Figures and Analysis | MotorBeam - Indian Car Bike News & Reviews
Funny thing: When I posted this doubt in their comments section, it has not come up.
Old 20th July 2012, 20:46   #113
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarthakgupta View Post
Has motorbeam copying the sales reports without acknowledging Team-BHP. Please see following link.
I don't think this is possible for motorbeam to copy the charts/figures from here on TBHP in "as is" condition for the simple reason that all the tables, charts, diagrams etc are watermarked "TBHP.com". Yes I agree that they might have copied the format & way of presenting the figures, but then that really isn't a copy, you may call it imitation.
Old 24th July 2012, 16:22   #114
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarathlal View Post
:( Isnt the reaction a little bit immaturish? IMO, Civic is a great car, its main problem being, its running on petrol. And this attributes to the market attitude.

I still believe, if its an enthusiast, Civic is a no brainer in the present used car market, iff petrol isnt the deal breaker. Corolla is a good car, but in this context, it doesn't stand a chance.
Not necessarily.
Some of it has to do with market attitude, but some of it is rooted in reality. A few close friends were recently in the market for pre-owned cars and pretty much all of them turned down extremely economically priced Civics. Reasons given (when I asked out of curiosity) ranged from 'the novelty's worn off and it hasn't aged gracefully at all', to 'Extremely poor ground clearance'.
One friend who's got a Civic and a Corolla of roughly the same vintage (2008) and mileage tells me that he prefers the ride in the Corolla and while the Civic's now developed numerous squeaks and rattles, the Corolla still feels good as new.

I'm not saying the Civic's a bad car... I'm just saying there's a fair amount of negative market sentiment that's pushing down prices significantly. Corolla's have held their prices better.
Old 25th July 2012, 22:52   #115
BHPian

Thanks GTO for the figures!
Am just wondering if there are figures available for the sales of cars city/state-wise as well? Or could you possibly suggest where I could find this?
Thanks in advance
Old 28th July 2012, 13:12   #116
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ritz3645 View Post
Ta ta or Bye bye to Bombay Club.
Welcome to hard core professionals, (wish this in every field).

Please correct if I am wrong, was XUV possible for Mahindra without its S Korean subsidiary ?
I am 100 percent sure that Mahindra did XUV500 independantly (without the help from Ssangyong). The development process of XUV500 was started in early 2007 and Mahindra acquired Ssangyong in March-2011. That means by the time Mahindra acquired Ssangyong, XUV500 development could have reached finishing level. But their Korean counterpart might have given some final touch up that it..
Old 31st July 2012, 17:54   #117
Senior - BHPian

For the month of July there will be a new addition to this thread, the Renault Duster. It would be interesting to know how many dealer dispatches have happened in July against the 13000 odd bookings (as reported by various resources). This will atleast give a fair bit of idea to the folks who are waiting for the delivery of their Dusters.

Another vehicle to look for would be the Verito refresh. The previous few months the dealer dispatches were drastically reduced in order to clear the old Verito stocks. I am eager to know how the Verito refresh is going to be accepted by the market. How does it fare against the Etios & Manza?

Sincerely hope the wait for the July 2012 Sales thread is not too long.

p.s Its raining cats & dogs in Pune for the last 2 days. Hope this is a good omen for the water crisis, agriculture & the economy on the whole

Last edited by AutoIndian : 31st July 2012 at 17:56.
Old 1st August 2012, 09:19   #118
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxTorque View Post
I am 100 percent sure that Mahindra did XUV500 independantly (without the help from Ssangyong). The development process of XUV500 was started in early 2007 and Mahindra acquired Ssangyong in March-2011. That means by the time Mahindra acquired Ssangyong, XUV500 development could have reached finishing level. But their Korean counterpart might have given some final touch up that it..
Mahindra had some association with Ssangyong prior to the acquisition. That was one of the reasons behind the strong interest in acquiring it.
Old 1st August 2012, 09:32   #119
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trapezio View Post
Mahindra had some association with Ssangyong prior to the acquisition. That was one of the reasons behind the strong interest in acquiring it.
This is some thing new information to me. If you can please share the source of information. To me the reason behind Mahindra and Mahindra's interest in Ssangyong is due to similiarities in the product line up. The other reason could be Ssangyong has a good line up of petrol engines. Mahindra has a many proven diesel motors. Third and the most important Ssyangong was in need of urgent money and Mahindra was sitting on a cash pile.
Old 1st August 2012, 12:24   #120
Senior - BHPian

Jul-12 figures have started trickling out, with Maruti Suzuki prompt with the numbers (as usual):

Maruti posts 9.2% increase in sales in July - The Times of India

Last edited by CARDEEP : 1st August 2012 at 12:26.
Closed Thread