Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread

Old 8th July 2012, 09:42   #256
BHPian

Default Re: Renault Duster : Official Launch Report

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaddiwale View Post
Today I went to see the much waited Duster at Renault Thane showroom. I went there at 10:30 am, straightway went to the car, had a close look on it. Nobody bothered to ask me if I need any help. Even I could not fathom out in that over-crowded small showroom - who are from dealer's side.
That is something to think about. I wish these are some lone incidents and may not be common in the Renault Network. I am reserving my comments further as I do not have much prior experience with them except for a TD of Pulse. But mine was a pleasant experience there. But I understand, the time is changing for them and it seems like they will do some good number with this product at least for the initial stages. Anyway yours and chinkara's experiences reminded me about my visit to Honda (2-Wheeler) showroom for a Unicorn for my friend (2 years back).

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumeshmani View Post
Sorry to hear this, but I had a completely contrary experience at Renault Palace Orchards, Bangalore. They were well prepared on the sales and test drive departments.
That is a relief. After all it is not that difficult to find one comfortable place (like one of our premium European brand)!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkparur View Post
Went Renault Cochin today, there was a long que for test drive and a heavy traffic block in front of the the showroom. Booked RXL option pack White colour. Sales executive promised the delivery by the end of August or maximum by first week of September.
Congrats for the decision. Would you please share your experience with the dealer? Probably this is the nearest showroom for me and a heads up is always good. Any RxE display/TD vehicle is there?
Quote:
Unfortunately the number of people there for test drive was high. As a result getting a proper test drive was difficult.
So it seems like a good idea to wait for some more time for the TD. Without getting a TD for some miles/time, I am not an expert to judge anything even if I have a specific list of items to check. But it seems the scene will change when the 85 Bhp comes as a TD vehicle.
Old 8th July 2012, 11:08   #257

Quote:
Could you clarify this for me?
Do we have to take all the items of the option pack, or can we pick and choose?
For example, can we just choose to have ABS and Airbags.
No, checked in the showroom on the same, they said, we can only opt for the full option pack. May be down the line, they would.
Old 8th July 2012, 11:15   #258
BHPian

I went to gurgaon renault showroom on MG road yesterday. Had a similar experience as gaddiwale above. Only one uninformed chap for duster. He could well be sellling anything anywhere. No test drive car available with them as of now. TDs will start in another five days. On delivery schedule, I was informed that I I book now, the car will come by end of october or november. Sigh
Old 8th July 2012, 11:38   #259

Quote:
Originally Posted by vishnuvijay View Post
i went and had a look at the duster today, didn't test drive however.

i would like to stress the fact that the real ac unit is a hinderance to seat 3 in comfort at the rear. the bench is wide enough to seat 3 adults comfortably but legroom is not as good as it seems from outside.

while we were at the showroom (at cochin), they announced that booking will close by wednesday (11th july) due to high booking.
I agree with the rear A/C Unit. forget rear seat, it restricts your hand movement when the driver has to put the handbrake.
Old 8th July 2012, 12:15   #260
Distinguished - BHPian

Reports indicate initial success of the Duster!

Quote:
It has notched up over 6,000 bookings since the launch early this week.

Renault Duster: Will it change the company's fortunes in India? - The Economic Times
Old 8th July 2012, 12:29   #261
BHPian

Dont know whether anyone on the thread has already mentioned this - the front of the Duster looks like a straight rip-off from the 2004 Suzuki Grand Vitara !

Why rip off a decade old design for a 2012 new launch ?
Old 8th July 2012, 13:07   #262
BHPian

Went to have a look at the duster in flesh yesterday, following are information related to Kolkata , which I was primarily interested:
Base RXE 85 - On Road 8.8 L
RXL 85 - On Road 9.9 L

However, look wise it is so-so at the max, nowhere I feel, has the presence of a true SUV neither the inside space vouch for the same. It is just about to be comfortable only.

I have a big dilemma in mind - Whether to go for Safari LX or Base Disel RXE, both being at the same price range.

Safari LX - On Road 8.45 After all discounts
Fors:
- Big on Space
- Massive Road presence
- Most comfortable in the segement
Cons :
- A Big TATA reputation on quality !
- Niggling problems
- Less mileage compared to Duster
- Cumbursome to drive in City

RXE 85 - On Road 8.75
For :
- High mileage, economic to run
- Easier to manage in the city roads
- Interiors betters the safari or scrop easily
- New car on the road.

-ve :
- No road pesence as such
- Space at a premium
- no 7 seat option
- After sales support is questionable. TATA is better in that aspect in west bengal at least.

In short, I am uttlerly confused and denite thoughts will really be welcome.
bhatmaster is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th July 2012, 13:10   #263
BHPian

They had around 3000 bookings pre launch, so have added around 3000 post launch which is actually quite good given the current 'slow down'. All recent launches XUV, Ertiga and now the Duster are doing pretty well, in the case of XUV and Ertiga they kicked the ball out of the park! And Renault is on track to do the same at least partly.

The customer care manager tried his best to sell me on to the RXL 85 and the RXZ when I had initiated the cancellation due to lack of airbags and option on the RXL 110, and given the buzz, crowds and bookings they were receiving at the time full marks for effort. Pune had around 500 bookings as of Wednesday and Mumbai around 800 plus as of yesterday.

Bhatmaster - best to think of it as an alternative to a sedan or a hatchback with boot space. Its smaller than a softroader we are used to like the CRV, Outlander or XUV. I feel folks who go for Scorpio, Safari because of presence, space, 7 seater etc will most likely not go for this. The urban XUV prospect will probably consider the Duster.

Last edited by raul : 8th July 2012 at 13:28.
Old 8th July 2012, 14:00   #264
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhatmaster View Post
Went to have a look at the duster in flesh yesterday, following are information related to Kolkata , which I was primarily interested:
Base RXE 85 - On Road 8.8 L
RXL 85 - On Road 9.9 L

However, look wise it is so-so at the max, nowhere I feel, has the presence of a true SUV neither the inside space vouch for the same. It is just about to be comfortable only.

I have a big dilemma in mind - Whether to go for Safari LX or Base Disel RXE, both being at the same price range.

Safari LX - On Road 8.45 After all discounts
Fors:
- Big on Space
- Massive Road presence
- Most comfortable in the segement
Cons :
- A Big TATA reputation on quality !
- Niggling problems
- Less mileage compared to Duster
- Cumbursome to drive in City

RXE 85 - On Road 8.75
For :
- High mileage, economic to run
- Easier to manage in the city roads
- Interiors betters the safari or scrop easily
- New car on the road.

-ve :
- No road pesence as such
- Space at a premium
- no 7 seat option
- After sales support is questionable. TATA is better in that aspect in west bengal at least.

In short, I am uttlerly confused and denite thoughts will really be welcome.
Frankly i would go for the Renault ( am in a similar situation ). for me the 3rd row seating is not a deal breaker. Safari is at the end of its lifecycle, still continues to come with niggles, pain to drive in the CITY. except for the presence and the seat comfort, dont see any benefits. also note that in the highways, all though going in a straight line might be good in the Safari , any sudden lane changes or taking fast turns are best taken in the Duster.

by the way, the discounts on the Safari seem to be quite high !exshowroom price as per website itself is 8.4 lakhs. if on road is the same, the discounts seems to be a massive 70-90k
narayan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th July 2012, 14:30   #265
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by narayan View Post
By the way, the discounts on the Safari seem to be quite high !exshowroom price as per website itself is 8.4 lakhs. if on road is the same, the discounts seems to be a massive 70-90k
June offer in Bangalore was 50k exchange bonus + applicable corporate discount + 1st year insurance free (around 31k) totalling around 85-90k!
Old 8th July 2012, 15:00   #266
BHPian

just went to see the duster. It looks quite good in my opinion. There were too many people in the showroom and hence the sales guy said that it will take time to get a test drive. Decided to go back some other day and get a test drive. Also they only have the 110ps engine for test drives. I am interested in the 85ps diesel which will take 2 weeks longer to get to the showrooms. Thats what I was told. I had already pre-booked the car but do not want to confirm the order till I get a drive of the 85ps engine. It doesnt make too much sense to drive a 110ps engine and buy the 85ps one.
The test drives being offered are very short and personally I can't make up my mind on such a short drive. Hopefully by the time the 85ps version comes the crowds will reduce and I can get a longer test drive.
I don't know why renault is not offering the 85ps engine for test drives. I don't know how so many people are booking these cars without a test drive.
prithvi53 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th July 2012, 15:05   #267
Team-BHP Support

Just realized that the rear AC vents are available only on the top end.
The RXE/RXLs don't get it. So that way for 85 bhp versions, RXL with option gives you the top end without the
protruding AC.

But there is no escaping it for the 110 bhp. Because if you opt for RXL in 110bhp version, you get don't get safety kits
which is more important.

And there is NO RXL + Option in 110 bhp version.

Last edited by ampere : 8th July 2012 at 15:06.
Old 8th July 2012, 15:08   #268

Congrats for the decision. Would you please share your experience with the dealer? Probably this is the nearest showroom for me and a heads up is always good. Any RxE display/TD vehicle is there?

(quote)

My experience with the dealer was very good. Sales assistants and Sales Exicutives were explaining in detail every query raised by the visitors. They also told me that by middle of the week booking may be closed for a temporary period. There were only two RXZ vehicles, vehicle displayed at the showroom was a Woodland Brown coloured one. Test Drive vehicle was a White one which was awesome and an excellent road presence.

Last edited by benbsb29 : 8th July 2012 at 19:30. Reason: Merging back-to-back posts. Plz use the Edit button if posting within 30 mins of previous post.
Old 8th July 2012, 15:43   #269
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkparur View Post
Congrats on booking RxL with Option Pack.

Just want to know on following :

1. did they confirm that you will cget all 5 Alloy Wheels

2. Whether the Door Handles will be Body color or Black ?

3. Whether Roof Rail will have Silver section like RxZ or all black ?

4. How much price they confirmed ?

5. Also did you checked with them whether option pack will have Height Adjustable Seat and if NO then what will be additional cost involved in some one ask them ?

6. Also whether the company provided ICE can be changed and whether the Steering Mount Control will work with After market ICE ?
Old 8th July 2012, 16:33   #270
BHPian

I am keen on the 85PS Duster with options pack (sad that i can not pick and choose the items from the pack ). It comes up to 12.4L OTR in Bangalore. I wish it was around 50 to 60K cheaper.
My other option is the top end Rapid diesel. I'm a big fan of the car. Rapid will cost me around 11.4 L OTR. Unfortunately the rear bench can not accommodate 3 passengers.
When compared to Rapid, Duster does look overpriced but I liked the space inside Duster. So I just might be forced to go the caaaar way. Unfortunately Sunny is not a fun car on the highways, and most of my usage will be on highway. The good part is all that space is available for under 11L OTR.
Closed Thread