Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Old 13th July 2012, 14:46   #16
Team-BHP Support

Default Re: Tata to import low-cost parts & auto transmissions from China

I just hope these transmissions end up in cars like the Indica and Manza -- and don't get wasted on the Aria!

cya
R
Rehaan is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13th July 2012, 15:34   #17
Senior - BHPian

And i hope the news dies down and Tata's do not decide to use it to give some PR spin!
You can have quality checks and make sure any manufacturing location in the world delivers quality. Apple sources from China!
Its just that the first and unfortunately only thought that hits a consumers mind when it comes to china is "cheap & unreliable". Its a perception that will not go with any amount of marketing gimmicks Tata spends on. They don't have a great reputation themselves.
So my advice, please be low key and give us affordable (and reliable) automatics at the not just the top but even the mid end of the spectrum.
Nilesh5417 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13th July 2012, 16:18   #18
Distinguished - BHPian

A missed opportunity for auto component manufacturers in India. If Bosch India can offer low cost CRDi engine components for the Nano, why can't ZF India offer the the same for transmissions? Price the transmission systems right and manufactures will make a queue outside their factory gates.
smartcat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13th July 2012, 16:41   #19
BHPian

looks like a positive move in the right direction. a facelifted (or all new) Vista with an AT box is all what i would want from TATA (too much to ask for?).

and, i believe TATA won't be stupid enough to advertise that it has sourced the AT boxes from China; car is sold as a package, and companies do not advertise the source of its car parts unless doing so creates a positive image in the minds of consumer.
infotech58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th July 2012, 18:27   #20
Senior - BHPian

Tatas are already running AT boxes in the Marcopolo low floor green buses in Delhi.

Good that they are planning to launch the same in their cars, they should plan for AT in these cars
1. Indica
2. Manza
3. Safari

It will help the sales for these vehicles, Mahindra already has an AT version for Scorpio for around 3 years.
tanwaramit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th July 2012, 19:21   #21
Senior - BHPian

Well, I pray that the QC must be really good in case of the Auto Tranny.

Tata's QC has improved but unfortunately is NOT on par with the competition. I have seen indicas with busted gearboxes @ 80K kms. I hope they really step up the QC And make the auto box realiable.

most-importantly charge a not-so-high premium and bring in the autobox on all models right from Indica to Aria.

If Tata could have launched the automatic Storme, it would have had an advantage over the Mahindra XUV5OO. A similar case with the Grande. If Grande auto was available, it would have been India's ONLY MUV with an Auto box
scopriobharath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th July 2012, 19:39   #22
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanwaramit View Post
Tatas are already running AT boxes in the Marcopolo low floor green buses in Delhi.

It will help the sales for these vehicles, Mahindra already has an AT version for Scorpio for around 3 years.
OT but as far as the marcopolo goes, the autobox in it is really not what one would desire to have. It upshifts and downshifts in its own will and the engine runs at constant speed most of the times. Compared to the volvo or even the corona, this is nowhere. So the same cant be expected in passenger vehicles at any cost!

AFAIK the scorpio transmission is an Australian product but I am not sure. Even MSIL has a japanese made transmission in its automatic offerings. Not entirely bashing chinese quality, but chinese + low cost is not a good combination IMO. Its like the difference between an apple iPhone or a Nokia made in China compared to the 'China mobile' phones that are available for peanuts. Though both are having same origin, there are quite a lot of difference when ot comes to cost, reliability and quality. So low cost must not always be the route.
audioholic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13th July 2012, 20:10   #23
BHPian

Quality of Chinese components has improved a lot in the last few years. Jaguar and Land Rover have set up manufacturing plants and also started sourcing parts from China.
Since I have been involved with Chinese machinery on a regular basis, you can definitely get good quality at low cost. But you have to be careful because there are also a lot of unscrupulous chinese companies that provide inferior quality components.
methilsunkara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th July 2012, 20:24   #24
BHPian

Nobody is talking about the Nano Automatic! If the chinese option is explored purely due to cost considerations, I feel the best bet for the Automatic gear box is the Nano.
jinojohnt is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14th July 2012, 12:16   #25
Senior - BHPian

This is great news indeed. I waited and waited and waited for a diesel hatch with AT and not seeing any in the offing, went ahead and bought an A-Star AT. Very happy with it at 14 kmpl FE. Still, it can never match the running costs of a diesel. So, if Tata launches a Vista with AT, I will be first in line to buy. Actually I would be more happy to see a Swift with AT but I know MUL with all the waiting list for Swift would take 100 more years to launch a diesel AT Swift.

I find all this talk about Tata's inferior quality, a plain trash. People are just biased and obsessed with a particular brand and no matter what some brands offer, they never get satisfied. They should what abuse Indicas are subjected to by cabbies and they still keep going.

Ditto for Chinese goods. People laugh at Chinese goods today but they should know that there was a time when Japanes and Korean goods were laughed at, too. Also, as Condor has rightly said, if some one bases his opinion about Chinese goods on a cheap torch he picked up from a pavement shop, then that is not right.
pgsagar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th July 2012, 23:48   #26
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

They need to get an AT and an AT diesel at that is just what the market needs. Chinese products too can be reliable or not and where they source from matters. Low tech though can hit fuel effeciency and defeat the purpose of having a diesel AT.

Good move though as long as the product does not fail even if it is not refined.
ACM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th July 2012, 01:00   #27
Senior - BHPian

What TATA Motors should do is diversify their product range and introduce a couple of new designs. That's why sales are stalling.Even if the indigo estate didn't sell well, it did generate interest in the product range and helped sales of the sedan along. Also, TATA Motors dealers should stop concentrating on the taxi trade alone and pay better salaries to staff as the turnover is highest among other dealerships. Be innovative and fire the entrenched from the licence raj era is another step that should be taken. There's just too many of them in the TATA Group in India and that's why their India story is sagging.
nickatnite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd July 2015, 11:01   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sutripta View Post
...marketed as 'high quality imported parts'?

Regards
Sutripta
Quote:
Originally Posted by scopriobharath View Post
Well, I am not suprized

Unfortunately "Chinese" products are synonymous with "not so good quality" .

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankjha1806 View Post
Errrr, AT transmission from China. Makes it one more reason for me not to buy Automatics from Tata.

For unbranded products we have had very bad to poor experiences with Chinese make. Unless
Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
Is this a good move? Given that they don't have he best reputation for quality? Automatic trannys from China! Where will it all end? I just cannot trust Chinese things
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sahil View Post

This is a BIG myth. China is to blame to have built itself with this reputation however this does not hold true in today's context as China is very competent to providing world-class or even bench-marking quality for not a "Cheap" price but a VFM price. Like the saying goes, you offer peanuts you will get monkeys.
Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post

. A bad/cheap product, with a Made in China label, can contribute more to the image than a high-quality product doing duty deep inside a reliable/high-quality product
Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic View Post

But whatever is from China, and is of lower cost, is never of good quality as far as my experience goes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by racer_ash View Post

...dad's factory imported some spare parts from China for their Italian made machines for almost 45% less and these are working quite fine until now. Hope the Chinese keep up the same reliability for their auto parts as well.
Quote:
Originally Posted by chennai-indian View Post
... I'm someone who vehemently oppose buying any Chinese goods (check my earlier posts) but just in this case, ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by basoli View Post
Not everything Chinese is poor quality as its built to a price.
Quote:
Originally Posted by download2live View Post
If they manage to be tight on quality
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nilesh5417 View Post
... and make sure any manufacturing location in the world delivers quality. Apple sources from China!
Its just that the first and unfortunately only thought that hits a consumers mind when it comes to china is "cheap & unreliable"...
Quote:
Originally Posted by scopriobharath View Post
Well, I pray that the QC must be really good in case of the Auto Tranny.
Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
Not entirely bashing chinese quality, but chinese + low cost is not a good combination IMO. .
Quote:
Originally Posted by pgsagar View Post

Ditto for Chinese goods. People laugh at Chinese goods today but they should know that there was a time when Japanes and Korean goods were laughed at, too. Also, as Condor has rightly said, if some one bases his opinion about Chinese goods on a cheap torch he picked up from a pavement shop, then that is not right.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ACM View Post
...Chinese products too can be reliable or not and where they source from matters.

Nearly 100% of the comments are on quality! Someone needs to forward this thread to Tata Motors so they proactively make sure quality is World Class!!

Agree with those who say that Chinese produce high quality goods also, and I would like to add that the 'local businessmen' who sell Chinese goods are 99% to blame as their business mantra is to source the cheapest goods and even rejects and sell them to us for some quick money.
mvadg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd July 2015, 11:33   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvadg View Post
Nearly 100% of the comments are on quality! Someone needs to forward this thread to Tata Motors so they proactively make sure quality is World Class!!

Agree with those who say that Chinese produce high quality goods also, and I would like to add that the 'local businessmen' who sell Chinese goods are 99% to blame as their business mantra is to source the cheapest goods and even rejects and sell them to us for some quick money.
We are exposed to most of the chinese products from small players.

But, there are very good suppliers built on the knowledge from reverse engineering of global products in the past decade or so. Now, these suppliers are technically competant and are capable of producing quality products.

Also, the chinese market is no longer a cheaper alternative compared to our resources. But still cheaper than the European, Japanese or American companies.

Sourcing from China is not a bad option if the commercials are agreeable till our suppliers evolve to cater to our own needs.
varunanb is offline   Reply With Quote