Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 31st July 2012, 16:16   #61
BHPian
 
ghostrider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Bombay
Posts: 678
Thanked: 305 Times
Default Re: Was the older model better?

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitg79 View Post
I still think that there hasn't been a better driver's car than the old Octavia vRS in our market. It looked awesome with the bodykit, it was a rocket, it handled beautifully and it was quite well priced. The old vRS was something that a normal person could aspire for.
The new vRS may be better in all departments, but has a stratospheric price tag and it still does not pull at the heart strings like the older model.


SUPER point. I was driving my Cruze the other day at very naughty speeds and I was taken down hard by a vRS (the older model). Granted this thing had some very evident stage-3 mods on it, but the fact remains that it handled beautifully and went like stink.
The new vRS, on the other hand, isn't as much of an upgrade over the stock model as the old vRS was. So the Skoda Octavia / Laura vRS goes down in my book as an example of the older one being better.
ghostrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st August 2012, 10:36   #62
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Santoshbhat's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,791
Thanked: 3,034 Times
Default Re: Was the older model better?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostrider View Post


SUPER point. I was driving my Cruze the other day at very naughty speeds and I was taken down hard by a vRS (the older model). Granted this thing had some very evident stage-3 mods on it, but the fact remains that it handled beautifully and went like stink.
The new vRS, on the other hand, isn't as much of an upgrade over the stock model as the old vRS was. So the Skoda Octavia / Laura vRS goes down in my book as an example of the older one being better.
THe new vRS is faster than the old vRS in its stock from. It is technologically quite superior too. It delivers Japanese car FE figures while delivering blistering perfomance at the same time. Plus it is much more relliable and easier to live with. Looks are always subjective. I still prefer the old vRS's looks over the current one. Skoda has increased the ride height of all Lauras for our market. I wish they had maintained the Euro Spec ride height and tyre & wheel size for the vRS at least. The absence of these two thing is what hurts the Laura RS's looks IMO.


Quote:
Originally Posted by amitg79 View Post
The old vRS was something that a normal person could aspire for.
The new vRS may be better in all departments, but has a stratospheric price tag and it still does not pull at the heart strings like the older model.
Pre worshipped Laura TSi's are going for hugely discounted valuations. Just pick up one and get some mods done and voila! you've got yourself an RS. The earlier TPi engine had a lot of reliability issues. As I said earlier the TSI engined Laura is much more easier to live with.
Santoshbhat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st August 2012, 11:16   #63
BHPian
 
rajushank84's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: California, USA
Posts: 861
Thanked: 350 Times
Default Re: Was the older model better?

Oh I can think of SO many cars that were better when they were older.

Zen
WagonR (its just me - I liked the old design)
Santro
Swift! (it deserved that exclamation mark)
Honda City (the oldest one is my favorite)
i10 (the facelift is downright ugly)
i20 (same as above)
Ikon (dislike the latest headlamps)
Bolero (dislike the new design)
Sumo (dislike the Grande more than the plain old Sumo)
Ambassador Avigo

New Passat
New CRV (what were they thinking?!)
2012 Civic (don't like the subtle changes they've made - they take away that elegance)
BMW 328i (bigger car and 4-cylinder engine? Really? That's sooo not BMW)

In bikes:
Pulsar (the old one was sooo nice)
CBZ
Scooty (I like the old one's simple design more than the Pep)
rajushank84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st August 2012, 13:28   #64
BHPian
 
amitg79's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Pune
Posts: 353
Thanked: 224 Times
Default Re: Was the older model better?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Santoshbhat View Post
THe new vRS is faster than the old vRS in its stock from. It is technologically quite superior too.
Yup. The new vRS is improved in every way. I guess when they launched the older vRS, we hadn't seen anything like it in the market. That's why it got a special place in many people's hearts.

Quote:
Pre worshipped Laura TSi's are going for hugely discounted valuations. Just pick up one and get some mods done and voila! you've got yourself an RS. The earlier TPi engine had a lot of reliability issues. As I said earlier the TSI engined Laura is much more easier to live with.
Hmm... that is a very tempting thought. Must start saving...
amitg79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Is this a Good time to buy the NHC, older model ? esteem_lover The Indian Car Scene 50 3rd March 2009 16:59
is k&n replacement better or a cold intake better? redsfx Modifications & Accessories 1 31st May 2007 16:58
Better roads.. better late (than never) Laxminarayan Street Experiences 1 12th April 2006 03:14
Older 600 or newer 400? Which one? Rtech Superbikes & Imports 49 10th March 2005 09:11
Palio NV slower than the older Palio? DCEite The Indian Car Scene 2 13th October 2004 00:03


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 20:19.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks