Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread

Old 30th September 2009, 21:37   #46
BHPian

Could this be due to the burgeoning human population which results in lots of desperate people on the roads trying hard to make ends meet.
Old 30th September 2009, 21:50   #47
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
one more question to all of us, how many of us drive proper
no point in balming others but make the diffrence ourselves in whatever lil way..
Cant agree more. After driving on autobahns for some years, I make sure I abide each and every rule I am aware of while driving in Bangalore. But I must admit, I violate most of the rules - the moment when a smug-looking-newgen-guy irritates me with his lawless driving :(
Old 1st October 2009, 11:14   #48
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mantumadhu View Post
Please visit my website soch.in. We are an NGO setup recently trying to bring about a change in attitude on the roads.
Good Initiative. But I feel that this is not going to be effective at all. A good population on road (common people) really wish they could follow the traffic rules, but most of the times fail as majority of the people dont follow rules and are very offensive on the road. This majority include autorikshaws, BMTC busses, cabs (all yellow boards) and few 2 wheeler drivers of the same class. Unless there is an initiative to get these people corrected, giving awareness to the rest of the public is not going to help much. This can be easily proven on a day when the yellow boards go on strike. Those are the days when I really love to drive my car. I have seen the majority public driving disciplined on that day. But if one yellow board is on the road, he would be the first one to violate the rule. So I guess awareness and all corrective measures should start from these people.
Old 1st October 2009, 16:35   #49
BHPian

Actually I have given up on this and formed my own preposterous theory.

It's all in our blood. Bulk of the Indian populace blood group is B hence the individualistic traits and "chalta hei" attitude. In short nobody really cares. May be I got influenced too much by Furukawa Takeji.
Old 22nd March 2012, 13:45   #50
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: A serious think needed about traffic manners !!

A kind note to Autoricksaw drivers :

1) Please behave on the road. I know you are looking for customers but please think before taking a right turn looking left for customers.

2) Please follow some lane discipline. You are not supposed to drive with your front wheel on the lane markings.

3) I know you have got a handlebar which makes it easy for you to cut across your rick, but please be considerate. There are others using the road too.

4) Please dont brake right in the middle of the road just because you got a hire. Move to the left & brake slowly.

5) I can understand non-functional brake lights & indicators, but please dont turn on the right indicator & take a left turn.

6) Please understand that a small scrape or dent here & there will be "no big deal" for you, but it is like a stab in the stomach to a person who loves his car which is maintained in a pristine condition.

7) Please understand that your rick does not have door or windows which gives you a nice 360 degree clear view but that is not the case in other vehicles. So please dont keep a 2mm gap between your rick and any other car. Similarly, keep some distance between your rick & the car in front. You are not gaining anything by kissing the car's bumper.

8) It would be very kind of you if you stick to the left lane as most probably, you are the slowest on the road. In case you are on the right lane, please move to the left lane when someone flashes or honks. Incase you are kind enough to move to the left, please move a full lane to the left instead of giving just enough clearance (with 1 cm more) for the car to pass.

9) While starting your vehicle, you do look in the RVMs & notice a car coming from behind, but inspite of that, you lurch your rick a bit ahead which panics the motorist behind making him to either honk, brake or swerve. What do you achieve in this?

10) Finally, remember you are in a small vehicle, which is very unbalanced due to 3 wheels, has no doors and windows for safety & is made of a thin sheet of metal which serves no purpose... In case a bigger vehicle does decide to mow you down (intentionally or unintentionally), all the motorist will have is a damaged bonnet or bumper but you... Well, you know it. So please done be so arrogant. Give respect & take respect.

Few pointers :

Cost of your ORVM - Rs. 100 a pair
Cost of a single ORVM of an Innova - Rs. 6500

Cost of a denting job of your rick - Rs. 500
Cost of a denting jon in a VW - Rs. 20000

Cost of a new headlight for your rick - Rs. 200
Cost of a new headlight for a BMW - Rs. 1 LAC

I seriously hope that the following changes are enforced in your rickshaw by the Govt.:

1) Replace the handlebar by a long ratio steering wheel so that even if you need to make a small left turn, you need to turn the steering for 2 full revolutions. This will curb your lane cutting behavior.

2) Make sure the parts of your rick costs a bomb, which even includes denting & painting works, which will mean you will drive more carefully.

Last edited by raj_5004 : 22nd March 2012 at 13:48.
raj_5004 is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 22nd March 2012, 14:59   #51
BHPian

The issue is lack of accountability!

Increasing fines is hogwash since it only results in Police making more money as bribes! How can we ensure that fines are collected properly is the question?

we should give a minimum target to all policemen and tell them that govt will give a percentage of legitimate fines as incentive to them. That way govt will collect more (better then getting something than giving away everything as bribes), Police men will get thier share (that too legitimate share which is white money) and citizens will be more careful! The only way to reduce corruption is to legalize it in some way.

Though I doubt if any govt will bite the bullet on this.
Old 22nd March 2012, 15:27   #52
BHPian

I think there is a problem with the BEST buses too. I often see that even though space has been created for a bus to halt in front of the 'bus stop', buses don't move to the left to use it. Instead they would stop bang on the road. Many a times, on single lane Mumbai roads, this unnecessarily stops the traffic behind them.
Another problem is the pedestrians who dont use footpaths even in places where they are clean and free of encroachment.
Old 22nd March 2012, 15:35   #53
F50
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raj_5004 View Post
A kind note to Autoricksaw drivers :
Haha. Good pointers Raj but its not gonna help, I don't think anyone on Tbhp owns a rick. Our rant about ricks and taxis fall on deaf ears.

Lately, I have noticed traffic sense in Mumbai has gone to trash! People drive like nuts. Earlier ricks and cabs were major problem but now each and every car is a nuisance. Attitude is bigger than their car size. And you just have to pray that the other guy is not a goon or politician.

I just wish NYPD handles Mumbai for 6 months and straighten things for us.

Edit - None understands the term 'Blind Spots'

Last edited by F50 : 22nd March 2012 at 15:42.
Old 22nd March 2012, 17:06   #54
Distinguished - BHPian

Your post was quite entertaining to read. If someone could get hold of registered addresses of rikshaw drivers' unions or associations, maybe we could have it posted to them after translation in the local language of course

Quote:
2) Make sure the parts of your rick costs a bomb, which even includes denting & painting works, which will mean you will drive more carefully.
Imagine the Govt. does impose some kind of duty/tax on all auto rikshaw parts just to make it expensive. Now I don't know whether this will make these rick drivers to drive safely (as they fill always find ways of getting spurious parts from black markets), but the govt. imposing this rule surely won't win the next election

Last edited by Santoshbhat : 22nd March 2012 at 17:09.
Old 22nd March 2012, 17:24   #55
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by urajkumar View Post
The issue is lack of accountability!
+100.

Quote:
Originally Posted by interest View Post
I think there is a problem with the BEST buses too. I often see that even though space has been created for a bus to halt in front of the 'bus stop', buses don't move to the left to use it. Instead they would stop bang on the road.
But apart from this, they atleast drive well. They always stick to the left lane, use mirrors generously, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by F50 View Post
Lately, I have noticed traffic sense in Mumbai has gone to trash! People drive like nuts. Earlier ricks and cabs were major problem but now each and every car is a nuisance. Attitude is bigger than their car size. And you just have to pray that the other guy is not a goon or politician.
Very true. Mumbai traffic is not as organized as it was before.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Santoshbhat View Post
Imagine the Govt. does impose some kind of duty/tax on all auto rikshaw parts just to make it expensive. Now I don't know whether this will make these rick drivers to drive safely (as they fill always find ways of getting spurious parts from black markets), but the govt. imposing this rule surely won't win the next election
Hmmm, can be done is -

1) Govt. should allocate or issue certificates to certain local garages (in every area), wherein only they will have the authority to repair an Autorickshaw, apart form the Bajaj A.S.S. of course. These garages will charge a bomb for denting/painting jobs.

2) In the event of an accident, the third party involved can call the police or visit the nearest police station, where the police will issue a permission letter to the rickshaw driver, after imposing a fine to whoever is guilty. This permission letter is important.

3) Without this permission letter, no authorized garage (refer point 1) is allowed to repair any rick. If found violating this rule, the rick owner & garage owner will lose his license.

This is applicable for accidental repairs only. Mechanical failures can be repaired at any garage at the regular cost.

Now what about if a rick has a dent & the driver does not get it repaired? Even that should not be allowed. Being a public transport vehicle, it should be compulsory to report a dent & get it repaired within a month. So, nobody escapes the high repair charges. The only solution left is to drive carefully.

Wishful thinking, right?
Old 22nd March 2012, 17:27   #56
BHPian

sadly i dont think autorickshaw drivers come to teambhp and get updated
Old 22nd March 2012, 17:44   #57
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raj_5004

+100.
Raj... Lets get realistic. There is NO SOLUTION to this problem. The reason is simple...Population! While we get happy to see those Alto/Swift numbers in the monthly car sales thread we don't think how badly they affect the situation on roads. You just cannot have those many cars/rickshaws/cabs on the current roads. Sad thing is that space is at a premium in Mumbai and I do not see how the road situation is going to improve. People tell me that METRO is going to solve those problems but I doubt anything is going to happen. Another thing that is bad is temper/patience level of us (me included!). It is very hard not to get angry while driving on these roads. You think that only roads are crowded?... Try going to a station during peak hour... You will be amazed how people risk their lives just to catch a train (I think you already know the situation).

Last edited by Saanil : 22nd March 2012 at 17:46.
Old 22nd March 2012, 17:46   #58
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by interest View Post
I think there is a problem with the BEST buses too. I often see that even though space has been created for a bus to halt in front of the 'bus stop', buses don't move to the left to use it. Instead they would stop bang on the road. Many a times, on single lane Mumbai roads, this unnecessarily stops the traffic behind them.
Stopping in the middle of the road is mainly and due to the passengers standing on the road where BEST are suppose to stop. This leaves the best drives with no option but to stop on the next empty space which is mainly the middle of the lane. As raj pointed BEST are a better lot than the rickshaws.
Old 22nd March 2012, 17:50   #59
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Hmmm, can be done is -

Wishful thinking, right?
Absolutely! If only the solution were this simple. Raj, you know what will be end result of all this? Rick unions will demand that the fare be doubled to meet the extra cost and they will continue to drive in the same manner. The poor public will then have to shell out more for the rick ride and continue to endure them on the roads.

But seriously, the govt. can easily impose some kind of cumulative penalty record of rick drivers. If they are found flouting rules, it should go against their license. Three strikes and you're out! Simple as that. But the problem is no Govt. has the guts to impose such measures. The rick drivers represent a major vote bank for them. In places like Chennai, the Govt. has not been able to impose a fare meter system, forget means of disciplining them. Some things will never change in our country. We just have to accept these things and manage our lives around it. For eg: You see a rick on the road. EXPECT him to do all those things you have mentioned above. Then you'll be fine.
Old 22nd March 2012, 19:33   #60
BHPian

Every vehicle on the road contributes to traffic manners, the way it is driven by the one behind the wheel. Let us take cars in 4 lane highways between cities and forget buses and trucks for the sake of discussion. These roads have wide lanes and may be engineered for a specific speed. Now, have you observed how private cars are driven on these roads? Have you observed how cars cut lanes - even in smooth turns? Haven't we observed dangerous overtaking and close tailgating? If private cars can do this in wide highway, I do not have hope for city traffic manners.
Closed Thread