Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread

Old 20th July 2012, 11:40   #76
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Strike woes haunt Maruti's Manesar plant again. 1 DEAD & Production hit

Maruti cars are cheaper because they are made so. Not because of low wages paid to the workers. How much do the wages differ from other manufacturers ?
Its free market. No one forces others to work for less. Dont think there is anybody who is content with what one is paid.

Last edited by srishiva : 20th July 2012 at 11:42.
Old 20th July 2012, 11:46   #77
BHPian

Default Re: Strike woes haunt Maruti's Manesar plant again. 1 DEAD & Production hit

Quote:
Originally Posted by tortoiseNhare View Post
Here is the link to the version of the workers union about the incident:

Maruti plant violence: Full statement of workers' union | NDTV.com

I am appalled to see that
1. there was no expression of regret from their side at the loss of a life
2. they had concocted a story exonerating themselves totally

If you've read the press release you would have seen the last line there
Quote:
Sent from my iPhone
One really wonders how the president of a union (comprised of workers who aren't paid appropriately according to him), uses an iphone to send mails to national media houses. Interesting!
Old 20th July 2012, 11:55   #78
Distinguished - BHPian

I think many of us are being escapists and trying to rationalise. Whatever be the reason or provocation violence and murder cannot be accepted or allowed. We are supposedly living in the 21st century and are not cavemen.

And here we go

http://economictimes.indiatimes.com/...w/15048133.cms

Last edited by sgiitk : 20th July 2012 at 11:56.
sgiitk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th July 2012, 12:51   #79
BHPian

Sorry state of affairs. And to think of this happening almost every year is even more appalling. A life lost gives it an uglier dimension this time. Maybe its time for Maruti to pack up and move operations to Gujarat. Haryana seems to be brewing trouble for them every now and then.
Old 20th July 2012, 12:54   #80
BHPian

Absolutely nothing can justify murder, vicious attack and wanton destruction of property. If employees have grievances there are legitimate channels both inside the company as well as per law to register them.

The authorities should investigate this purely as a criminal case and arrest the perpetrators, try them in court and ensure that they are punished appropriately.
When I clicked on the linked in profile link of the HR manager who died, was surprised to see that he was a 2nd level contact. RIP sir.
Old 20th July 2012, 12:54   #81
BHPian

Default Re: MSIL factory strike: Workers deliberately sabotaging the quality of cars.

Quote:
Originally Posted by samarjitdhar View Post
I think the malaise at Maruti is a symptom of our obsessiveness of trying to get something very cheap no matter what the eventual cost. Because we demand goods at incredibly low prices coupled with some weird targets of astronomical productivity we always end up creating scenarios where we tend to push limits of everything to achieve these goals. Be it product quality, safety or worker morale. It's just that beyond a certain point it is impossible to achieve all this without breaking the limits and as a result we see low quality products, manufacturers skimping on safety aspects (the brakes of the new Swift has already been covered) and pushing workers as much as possible beyond human limits. Most of us in this forum have cushy jobs in air conditioned offices and ride the very cars these workers make so its not so easy for any of us to guess in what conditions these workers operate in or how they lead their lives.

I think all these incidents that happen are just because the workers are totally not equipped to handle the stress levels in these factories. I don't think these workers are hardened criminals itching to murder somebody but given their education and social strata in life they need to be handled with a lot of tact and skill. I think of late Maruti has been missing this and hence frequently encountering these issues. I somewhere feel Maruti might need to invest a little more to ensure that overall stress levels in their factories come down. Blaming external factors and crying sabotage is going to do zilch for them. Instead look at what the main problem areas are inside and try fixing them. This would be through probably not trying to run at a breakneck speed trying to always stay number one, spend some more time on quality, improve worker welfare where possible. This is not only applicable for Maruti but all manufacturers who are in this kind of a rat race who are potentially sitting on a tinder box now. All this probably takes a hit on cost, so what. Pass on those costs to the end customer. The customer will benefit from having a better and safer product and pays slightly higher for it. If we customers however always obsess for cheap products blindly I fear we will continue seeing such unfortunate incidents. So QED. Now friends, you can start flaming me .
Spot on my dear chap. I keep going in and out of the so called factories that are at tier 2 & 3 levels ( more appropriate will be Sweat Shop!!) and I know just how horrible the working conditions are.
Mind you I once ran a tool room for 4 years, which was a model employer to start out with but had to close down because I could not receive proper rates from my clients ( the big auto companies!).

Guys try lifting a 5 -8 kgs job from the floor or conveyor, loading in at waist level & returning it to the conveyor. Do this 90 times an hour for 10 hours a day in a hot environment with sound levels above 90Db. Cannot move to take a pee as the reliever system has been dropped - cost cutting u see. Do this for years on end. And why are u doing it - because agriculture is no longer viable or you family has been dispossed of the land and your father did not have the money to pay for your fancy education. And you had some standing and pride in your village setup but are now being shouted at by a boorish supervisor. No future & no hope. then comes in a so called leader who promises the moon and gets ready converts. And anyway they will otherwise be kicked out within 6 months.

It is bound to happen. But normally smart managers spot building up trouble and defuse it in time - mostly by pay rises. Let us see how it develops now as matters have gone out of hand.
sridhar-v is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 20th July 2012, 12:58   #82
BHPian

Let me share my own story for the benefit of all reading this thread;

I have worked in a factory for a good 5 initial years of my career (this is 95's) and I was a labourer and I along with majority of employees have gone against the management decision to sell the plant to another competitor who had poor people practices/ policies. We infact filed a court case against the selling, did dharna outside the factory in rain for 10 days continuously, did hunger fast, went to media, involved locals to be part of the dharna and this whole incident happen in a span of 3 months and in this entire 3 months - we made sure we worked as per our shift and did not stop production - since we all knew - it would simply affect us at the end. And - even during the hunger strike - we worked.

Yes - it did not change the decision but it surely did change the way people policies of the company which was buying this plant - which infact happened since we were in the forefront to implement those policies along with management. Though I left that company after few years to get into my HR Career - lot of old colleagues are still in the same plant and in fact they have grown to senior management levels. Even one among them is a HR Head for one of their other plant in North.

I am not saying that management is always right - but until unless two hands don't come together - there isn't even a "Clap" - leave aside progress. If one hand does not come together to clap - doesn't also mean - it should be broken.

Last edited by Rehaan : 20th July 2012 at 17:25. Reason: As per PM.
maheshramaling is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 20th July 2012, 13:07   #83
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by srishiva View Post
Maruti cars are cheaper because they are made so. Not because of low wages paid to the workers. How much do the wages differ from other manufacturers ?
Its free market. No one forces others to work for less. Dont think there is anybody who is content with what one is paid.
Quote:
Originally Posted by hrman View Post
The workers need to realise if there is no factory, there is no salary, how will their houses run and what will their families eat??
Both legally and morally, all killings are wrong. In whatever pretext it may have been made. But then, I can scream at the top of my head, how I was wronged, how I am legally right and they are wrong. BUT, I can't undo the damage. Can't bring the poor soul back. You can't argue with a mob about morality and legality. A business, in their own interest should have done everything possible to avoid arriving at the current situation. And the loss is not just for the workers. They lose their livelihood, wages, food. But doesn't the company and the investors suffer losses too? A bit more foresight would have made a lot of difference.

Quote:
This time around also looks like its going to be advantage Gujarat.
Of course, that is how vultures find food.
Old 20th July 2012, 13:11   #84
BHPian

I think In the heat of moment, we all are forgetting one imp question :-

why it happened in first place?. No doubt death of GM must be condemned in strongest possible words But some where MSIL mgmt is to be held responsible for the whole fiasco. Every time workers has a grievances they were not addressed properly and when ever workers went on strike, they make sure that leaders like sonu gujjar and all gets paid handsomely and left MSIL where as average workers continue to suffer. The average workers never got those grievances resolved in first place.The anger boiled with time and resulted in what happened Y;day .

we must seeing both side of coins. it takes two hands to clap and produce a sound. a single hand cannot clap .

just saying that this industrial belt is unruly and all won ;t help anybody. fact is Workers were not getting their grievances addressed and mgmt was not willing to listen to them. cornered they took to violence. In above case also, the worker was suspended as soon as his supervisor reported the incident. off course mgmt didn ;t took into account why worker is agitated at first place.

Until we take a human approach , i see many more such incident's happening in near future.
.sushilkumar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th July 2012, 13:25   #85
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by .sushilkumar View Post
I think In the heat of moment, we all are forgetting one imp question :-

why it happened in first place?. No doubt death of GM must be condemned in strongest possible words But some where MSIL mgmt is to be held responsible for the whole fiasco. Every time workers has a grievances they were not addressed properly and when ever workers went on strike, they make sure that leaders like sonu gujjar and all gets paid handsomely and left MSIL where as average workers continue to suffer. The average workers never got those grievances resolved in first place.The anger boiled with time and resulted in what happened Y;day .

we must seeing both side of coins. it takes two hands to clap and produce a sound. a single hand cannot clap .

just saying that this industrial belt is unruly and all won ;t help anybody. fact is Workers were not getting their grievances addressed and mgmt was not willing to listen to them. cornered they took to violence. In above case also, the worker was suspended as soon as his supervisor reported the incident. off course mgmt didn ;t took into account why worker is agitated at first place.

Until we take a human approach , i see many more such incident's happening in near future.
You are right that there is something more and why this simmered to this level.

But..but....this is not the way to show your anger. After all - who is getting affected....few 100 crores of loss - Maruti will make it in next few months or a year but it is affecting all those who were involved in this violence and also those who were not involved. Look at the plight of those contract employees - they might not get their wages whatever small they used to earn.

If the employees were treated so badly - why they didn't file a case in court or with labour commissioner either through the union or by every employee directly?? If even 1000 complaints filed with labour commissioner - would have become a national sensational news. Why did not they speak out to media with proof of how they were treated??

There are many ways - labourers could have solved this but this violence isn't even the last thing they should have resorted to. It will only backfire and impact them...none other.

Last edited by maheshramaling : 20th July 2012 at 13:30.
Old 20th July 2012, 13:33   #86
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by maheshramaling View Post
You are right that there is something more and why this simmered to this level.

But..but....this is not the way to show your anger. After all - who is getting affected....few 100 crores of loss - Maruti will make it in next few months or a year but it is affecting all those who were involved in this violence and also those who were not involved. Look at the plight of those contract employees - they might not get their wages whatever small they used to earn.
Correct . That 's why i wrote that mgmt at big factories needs take a HUMAN Approach . Imagine that we both are doing same work but other guys is getting at least 10 K more than me just because he is a permanent worker. it affect the morale of worker at the end of day and frustration creeps in slowly and steadily . There is no legal frame work for such cases & companies are exploiting workers by hiring them on contracts. Originally the concept of contract was bought in to meet short term labor needs but companies are mis using this clause.

As for workers wage goes, it hardly affect them . what ever small wage the contract workers were getting was not enough for them to survive already. they will switch over to some them place / factory and might earn more . there is a ample demand in market . nobody dies of hunger in today' s time .
.sushilkumar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th July 2012, 13:41   #87
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by .sushilkumar View Post

As for workers wage goes, it hardly affect them . what ever small wage the contract workers were getting was not enough for them to survive already. they will switch over to some them place / factory and might earn more . there is a ample demand in market . nobody dies of hunger in today' s time .
If they take the approach of "give it or leave it" - why resort to this kind of violence? If you don't want to fight (legally) against the injustice - why fight at all??? Just resign and do something else.
Old 20th July 2012, 13:52   #88
Distinguished - BHPian

What I saw on the box is even more shocking. They first broke both his legs before setting him on fire. The bone of contention - just two tea breaks of 7:30 each and one lunch break of 30 minutes. Otherwise we have the license to murder.
Old 20th July 2012, 14:11   #89
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
What I saw on the box is even more shocking. They first broke both his legs before setting him on fire. The bone of contention - just two tea breaks of 7:30 each and one lunch break of 30 minutes. Otherwise we have the license to murder.
Very shocked to read this.. Those workers need to be given the harshest of punishments permissible under law.
hrman is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th July 2012, 14:27   #90
LDJ
BHPian

Quoting from the workers' statement (sic) they've provided to the public!

"As part of this vindictive attitude and in a pre-planned manner, yesterday, the afternoon of 18 th July, a supervisor in the shop floor abused and made casteist comments against a Dalit worker of the permanent category, which was legitimately protested by the worker. Instead of taking action against the said supervisor, the management immediately suspended the worker concerned without any investigation as was demanded by the workers. When the workers along with Union representatives went to meet the HR to demand against the supervisor and revoke the unjust suspension of the worker, the HR officials flatly refused to hear our arguments, and it was in no mood to resolve the issue amicably."

Now coming back to the incident, " Maruti Suzuki's plant at Manesar remained closed on Thursday after a huge riot in which a senior HR executive was killed by workers."

Now every Tom, Dick & Harry from the same workers' union can count two + two equals four and cry foul at their own statement they've issued!

Its a pre-meditated, well orchestrated goonda-ism that has rendered the family of Mr Dev directionless for the rest of their lives!
Only if the real culprits from the 91 arrested so far and those that haven't been yet, are brought to the book and slapped charges that really drive home a point, will justice prevail.

Oh well, wait, this is India...
LDJ is offline   (2) Thanks
Closed Thread