Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Old 26th December 2012, 13:27   #91
BHPian

Default Re: Will Tata Motors be able to regain its market share?

Until and unless they improve the overall quality of their vehicles - Tata will continue to remain laggards and the only people interested in their cars will be Taxi operators.

90% of the Indian Customer base for Cars may be price conscious but that does not mean you continue to ply them cars that have sub standard plastics and a lousy fit and finish. The Mechanical side too is sub optimal at best.

As an Indian I always hope that Tata makes world class cars of the sort that can compete with the best German and Japanese makers - but till the time they continue to compromise on Quality they will never get there.

I would not touch any car out of Tata's current line up even if they were offering massive discounts.

A lesson for Tata can be the low cost and frugally engineered Renault 'Dacia' Duster - it's been designed and engineered on a small budget and is still miles ahead of any Tata product.
driven646 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 2nd January 2013, 23:11   #92
Distinguished - BHPian

Tata Motors has launched a new showroom format.

Quote:
"We plan to upgrade 4-5 more such showrooms in the metros in this quarter," passenger vehicles business unit's president Ranjit Yadav told reporters on the sidelines of event to launch the first showroom in the new format.

Among other things, such showrooms will have a video wall, wi-fi capable lounges, merchandising of accessories and lifestyle products, a cafe and play areas for kids.

"Going forward, we will take this concept to 10-20 cities including tier-II and tier III centres."
Details and Source - http://www.business-standard.com/ind...rmat/201350/on

This bit of news, coming on the heels of an 800cc Nano being prepped for launch in the price range of ~2.5L, and the diesel Nano possibly coming with a price tag of ~3.5L, augurs well for Tata Motors' future.

That is, if they ever get the fundamentals right, starting with product quality.
RavenAvi is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 3rd January 2013, 06:59   #93
BHPian

Tata plans to invest over $8 billion over two years
Source - Reuters

Below is the link for the article.
http://in.mobile.reuters.com/article...30102?irpc=932
arvindmanju is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th February 2013, 23:48   #94
BHPian

I think TATA is sitting on a goldmine of land rover intellectual property.But they can't figure out how to assimilate that into TATA Motors.

What with force motors and mahindra launching " new" SUV s based on old Mercedes designs.
Ashok Leyland putting out old Nissan designs.

Old land rover designs are there ,no license,no IP issues..

But I guess Tata bureaucracy is too clumsy to make quick changes.

Mahindra is entering new market segments with old but relevant technology - quanto,rexton,verito hatch. And doing rather well as it builds the best next gen R and D facility in India.

I think mahindra is loading guns for next gen upgrades- bolero, Scorpio,xylo.

While Tata can't execute good ideas or protect the brands people associate tata with.
drsingh is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12th February 2013, 02:00   #95
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drsingh View Post
I think TATA is sitting on a goldmine of land rover intellectual property.But they can't figure out how to assimilate that into TATA Motors.

What with force motors and mahindra launching " new" SUV s based on old Mercedes designs.
Ashok Leyland putting out old Nissan designs.

Old land rover designs are there ,no license,no IP issues..

But I guess Tata bureaucracy is too clumsy to make quick changes.

Mahindra is entering new market segments with old but relevant technology - quanto,rexton,verito hatch. And doing rather well as it builds the best next gen R and D facility in India.

I think mahindra is loading guns for next gen upgrades- bolero, Scorpio,xylo.

While Tata can't execute good ideas or protect the brands people associate tata with.
Can't agree with you more. I have heard from so many people that work culture at TATA is just like the Government!

Last edited by troublemaker : 12th February 2013 at 02:02. Reason: grammer
troublemaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd April 2013, 09:01   #96
BHPian

Tata announces complete overhaul of operations:
http://www.moneycontrol.com/news/cnb...utive-briefing

Quote ""Our biggest undoing was not having launched a product in two years etc," Karl Slym, MD, Tata Motors told CNBC-TV18"

They have also announced new positions for Quality, purchase and supply, product planning and corporate strategy.

Hope this will help TTM. It is high time they did something about their market share.
chennai-indian is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 22nd April 2013, 10:11   #97
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/2 (10)

Quote:
Originally Posted by chennai-indian View Post
Tata announces complete overhaul of operations:
http://www.moneycontrol.com/news/cnb...utive-briefing

Quote ""Our biggest undoing was not having launched a product in two years etc," Karl Slym, MD, Tata Motors told CNBC-TV18"

They have also announced new positions for Quality, purchase and supply, product planning and corporate strategy.

Hope this will help TTM. It is high time they did something about their market share.
Isnt it too late to realize that ? From Indica to Aria, Everything looks same.
They have done nothing except keep launching make overs.

And looks like they have not got anything in drawing board as well, so that it can launch couple of years down the line. Fact is Tata sales were mostly coming from cab segment and even the fleet owners have found other ugly ducklings(like Verito/Etios/DZire tour) which do their duty better than tata.
rajshenoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th May 2013, 20:42   #98
AVR
BHPian

Interesting article about what Karl Slym is upto at TML:

http://www.moneycontrol.com/news/bus..._871489-0.html
AVR is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21st May 2013, 00:35   #99
BHPian

According to me one of the major reasons why TATA cars are not selling well is cuz they do not bring anything fresh to the stable.. all their cars look alike. look at how Maruti changed its cars designs, how hyundai has introduced fluidic designs. And I do agree that as long as quality is good one can overlook that but with TATA even the quality is just like the designs of their cars "stale".

one of the comments in the link provided in the moneycontrol report "“Look at their product refresh cycles. While competition has added products one after the other, Tata Motors must have used all the alphabets in the English language to launch one version after another of their old cars. That’s how you sell trucks not cars,” says a senior automotive consultant who did not want to be quoted. "

When we were getting our Aria I asked around for people's opinion on the looks of the car and they all said that Aria looks Indica/Manza types. On last sunday itself a friend joked about my car. Asked "Aaaj zara tere indigo mein ghooma". I just couldnt come up with a reply at all.. Imagine having spent over 15 lacs on a car and hearing that from a person who has driven to my place in a 15 year old Zen, just puts you off no matter how indifferent you are towards people's opinion.

Last edited by psbali : 21st May 2013 at 00:45. Reason: Addition.
psbali is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21st May 2013, 01:03   #100
Senior - BHPian

I hope Slym doesn't leave Tata as quick as others did.

From what I could gather from the the articles, interviews, he does seem to know what the consumers think of Tata Motors and its products. And he has made some logical changes, which were so desperately needed.

Hoping that the upcoming refreshes are not the 'new chrome strip' types we have been seeing in the past.

I can only say, if TM plays its cards right, given its strengths being a domestic player for so long in the market, as Cyrus Mistry puts it, it CAN "meet the competitors and beat them in their backyard."
ashutoshb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st May 2013, 01:38   #101
BHPian

The biggest mystery to me is, and something that does not find a mention in the moneycontrol article is, what are they going to launch in the near to distant future?
Sanjunair5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st May 2013, 06:34   #102
Senior - BHPian

What TATA has to do is benchmark themselves against segment leaders and go for them with new designs.

They have to get a car in that will beat the ALTO, SWIFT, DZIRE, VERNA, BOLERO etc.

None of their current products can carry them forward unfortunately and they also need to drop the brand names, they have to reinvent themselves

TATA will not die, they are too big, but they will decay and rot like HM for ages
TheARUN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st May 2013, 07:41   #103
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (4)

Tata motors will rise from the pits they are in. Make no mistakes, it is just a matter of time, with new organizational changes taking place. Once they are finished with moving out the old govermental attitude babus in critical posts, and replace them with corporate managers, things should smoothen out. They are taking the right steps, not introducing new models, getting quality and servicing under control. For example the new Indica/Manza/Vista/Storme/Aria and others are niggle free and get very good interiors compared to the earlier ones. Price is also good compared to the competition. It is a matter of time, I expect about 2-3 quarters more before results start speaking in terms of increasing sales.
apachelongbow is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21st May 2013, 11:45   #104
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheARUN View Post
TATA will not die, they are too big, but they will decay and rot like HM for ages
Now the entire attention is on Passenger Car division. If the management attention changes to Passenger cars, what will happen to Commercial vehicles. If the money previously committed is not spent on JLR, what will happen to them. To me it is extremly difficult to manage the 3 divisions which are vastly different in nature They need to come up with a VW-Audi, Toyota-Lexus, Honda-Acura, Nissan-Infiniti kind of strategy. Designs and parts are shared by both (Tata and JLR), but the products are entirely different in character and packaging. Spin off passenger cars into a separate division. Fiat and VW has Commercial vehicles, but they are not at all connected to passenger cars. Volvo found it hard to manage both divisions and sold Passenger Cars to Ford (now Geely).
teamveevee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st May 2013, 13:13   #105
AVR
BHPian

More action from TML

Quoting from CarDekho:
Link

Not sure how soon is this going to be and if there's anything new here as no timelines have been mentioned:

Quote:
The Safari Storme will get additional variants; one will be a more powerful version with 165bhp of power and 400Nm of torque. There will also be an automatic on the offering on the Safari Storme with the same 6-speed ZF transmission. Those who need a more stylish Safari Storme, there will be a variant with touchscreen infotainment, with Harman Kardon music system with 10 speakers.
AVR is offline   Reply With Quote