Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread

Old 17th November 2012, 15:22   #211
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Kizashi at a whopping discount of Rs.5 lakhs!! UPDATE: Now at 11.49 L, Details Pg

Quote:
Originally Posted by suhaas307 View Post
I'm not sure if it applies to some crucial components. I don't know how competent Maruti is with regard to the Kizashi. On a similar note, a friend owns a 10 year old Esteem MPFI and he had met with a bad crash. He's okay, but the car required 1 lakh worth repairs. The service-center took one and a half months to bring the car back to its previous condition. Samurai has enjoyed a hassle-free Vitara ownership. So the Kizashi shouldn't be too much of trouble. On the other hand, Jaggu's CRV has been giving him lots of issues apart from being hard on the wallet. And that's because its a CBU.

What I'm trying to say is, it could be a case to case basis.

By the way, our Civic costs not more than 4k to service. The only other car in the segment that is cheaper to maintain is the Corolla. I highly doubt the Kizashi will be that cheap for general upkeep.
True I doubt it will be cheaper than the civic perhaps cheaper than a laura/jetta or an accord only time will tell. We already have one ownership thread and I will post experiences on after-sales soon
Old 18th November 2012, 14:58   #212
Distinguished - BHPian

Default Re: Kizashi at a whopping discount of Rs.5 lakhs!! UPDATE: Now at 11.49 L, Details Pg

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeyronSuperSprt
Maybe, they can’t afford a car with better features / performance whatever but as long as they can’t buy the car, it doesn’t work for them.
Affordability or the lack of it, is IMO not a valid reason to rule out a car saying "it does not work for me". What is the whole point of someone saying an S-class does not work for him, when he cannot afford the car in the first place ? If someone goes out looking for a car like the Kizashi which was then in the 18-20L range and ends up with a car like the Rapid which costs half that price, IMO they were not initially looking in the right segment. Just because the Rapid has 40-100 figures better than a Cruz (not sure if that is true), does it really make the Rapid a better car than the Cruz? I have seen a 5-speed M800 thrash a Skoda Octavia on the MMSC tracks during one of the track-days. Does that make an M800 a better car than the Octy ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeyronSuperSprt
I like the Kizashi having driven it extensively but my Laura TSI gives me more petrol head thrills than a Kizashi ever will
To each his own. BTW, the Laura TSI is a car that interests me (mainly because for some reason, my Dad thinks Skoda cars are God's gift to carkind), though immediately Skoda A.S.S. comes to mind and I drop the thought. How much did it cost you OTR in Chennai and which trim and year is your car ?

Last edited by supremeBaleno : 18th November 2012 at 14:59.
supremeBaleno is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th November 2012, 11:05   #213
BHPian

OT: Spotted a beautiful Matte Black Kizashi on the Ring Road sometime back & boy did it look wicked
Old 19th November 2012, 14:18   #214
BHPian

Tata Aria.
Maruti Kizashi
Hyundai Sonata

These three cars did not sell. Not because they were not capable. But because their respective brands - Tata, Maruti and Hyundai are perceived as cheap brands in India. I don't care about brand value, but the truth about Indians is that, if they have the money, they would stay away from anything that shows themselves associated with a cheap brand.

Their hide their Dollar Big Boss, and flaunt their Van "Hussain" shirts.

Last edited by civic-sense : 19th November 2012 at 14:20.
Old 19th November 2012, 15:15   #215
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by civic-sense View Post
These three cars did not sell. Not because they were not capable. But because their respective brands - Tata, Maruti and Hyundai are perceived as cheap brands in India. I don't care about brand value, but the truth about Indians is that, if they have the money, they would stay away from anything that shows themselves associated with a cheap brand.
Simply repeating what has been said ad infinitum earlier, the three cars you mention failed due to their "value", but not of the 'brand' type ("brand value") rather of the 'for money' type ("VFM") .
Simple counterpoints - XUV, Elantra, Ertiga.
Old 19th November 2012, 17:53   #216
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by yosbert View Post
Simply repeating what has been said ad infinitum earlier, the three cars you mention failed due to their "value", but not of the 'brand' type ("brand value") rather of the 'for money' type ("VFM") .
Simple counterpoints - XUV, Elantra, Ertiga.
Sorry, none of these are high end (D segment) cars. And, XUV and Ertiga have no competitions at their respective price points.

Wasn't the Sonata VFM?

More: Grand Vitara, Tuscon, Terracan, Santa Fe.

Maruti even could not sell the SX4.
Old 19th November 2012, 18:17   #217
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
More: Grand Vitara, Tuscon, Terracan, Santa Fe.
Santa Fe is selling very well .

I think the problem with Kizashi is it's USP itself (fast, good handler, driver's car) is not well advertized (and even if it was, it's not much relevant in our market), coupled with the fact that it's a petrol. The Laura TSi/vRS is not selling as much as it should. The only successful petrol sedan I can think of in today's market is Superb (and what's interesting is it uses the same engine as the Laura!).

BTW, petrol car sale may not match that of the diesels even if both fuels are eventually priced equally. The market is maturing. FE is important no matter how much it's ridiculed on team-bhp and people now know that the combustion efficiency of petrol can not match that of the diesel - at least with the curent state of the art. I have a Laura TSi - the most efficient of the powerful petrol cars around, yet I sicerely feel it should have gone a few KMs more for that precious liter of petrol. As much as I smile every time I take the TSi on the expressway and see that nobody generally overtakes me, whenever I learn about the experiences of Laura CRDi owners (driving pleasure almost similar to my TSi - may be a shade lower, but much higher FE numbers), the thought surely crosses my mind that may be I should have settled for the 140 BHP CRDi than the 160 BHP TSi .

Whenever I hear the "our market is immature..." tune on team-bhp, I feel upset. ours is a very mature market - we value our money, it's hard earned. We deserve to extract every bit of performance and efficiency out of every rupee that we spend.

BTW, Kizashi is receiving all the praise in the media and on team-bhp. But why does it not come with a really high-tech engine (direct injection, turbo charged)??? Once I look at what I have under the bonnet of my TSi, any other perol engine in our market appears to be a joke. Why do they need 2.4 liters to extract 180 odd BHP? And what's the point in generating peak torque at such a high RPM? Times have changed, so have rules of the game :-)

Cheers!

Last edited by anandpadhye : 19th November 2012 at 18:19.
anandpadhye is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th November 2012, 18:27   #218
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anandpadhye View Post
Santa Fe is selling very well .
At 56 units per month, I wouldn't say it is selling well.

src: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...s-figures.html (October 2012 : Indian Car Sales Figures)
Old 19th November 2012, 19:02   #219
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Isn't it good enough for an atrociously priced vehicle (@28 lakh +)?
At this price, nobody should have bought it, if we were a brand conscious market (afterall, it's a Hyundai). But it's actually a pretty decent SUV and it's selling!!! What's interesting about it is - at this price, it's not VFM either and it's still selling. I get a feeling that our market has different rules for SUVs .

Last edited by anandpadhye : 19th November 2012 at 19:04.
Old 20th November 2012, 09:36   #220
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
They did sell the SX4 well in its initial days. That was the time when the Honda City was much expensive but lacked certain features like alloys, climate control etc. Off late, obviously its an outdated product waiting for a refresh and hence, people are not preferring the car. People can accept a low cost car from a premium brand, but not a high end car from a brand that is associated with entry level cars; thats how fair(or rather unfair) things are. Thats the reason cars like the Tucson, Grand vitara etc did not sell.

Last edited by audioholic : 20th November 2012 at 09:38.
Old 20th November 2012, 09:56   #221
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suhaas307 View Post
By the way, our Civic costs not more than 4k to service. The only other car in the segment that is cheaper to maintain is the Corolla. I highly doubt the Kizashi will be that cheap for general upkeep.
I agree 100%, only my cost is a bit higher since I use a synth (once a year). Now that Maruti have picked up the Hyundai disease of putting all sorts of ad ons, even the labour + others will also be high, in addition to the spares. The Baleno had the problem of costly spares (high import content) for a long time, and thus never sold well.
sgiitk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th November 2012, 10:00   #222
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
They did sell the SX4 well in its initial days. That was the time when the Honda City was much expensive but lacked certain features like alloys, climate control etc. Off late, obviously its an outdated product waiting for a refresh and hence, people are not preferring the car. People can accept a low cost car from a premium brand, but not a high end car from a brand that is associated with entry level cars; thats how fair(or rather unfair) things are. Thats the reason cars like the Tucson, Grand vitara etc did not sell.
+ 1.

When SX4 came out - it had very good reviews + sales against the old gen Honda city. But it got its dream run only for a few months - till the current Gen City came out with a much better package. Remember - SX4 did not have a diesel option that time - and it was the one directly impacted by the City launch.

By the time the diesel came out - it was already a dated option in the segment.
Old 20th November 2012, 10:09   #223
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Maruti SX4 was selling in decent 3K+ numbers until the launch of DZire, and was at the 1.5K - 2K levels until the launch of Ertiga, if I remember things correctly. People wanted 'bigger' but 'cheaper' cars (VFM, it is), and that's where DZire and Ertiga trounced SX4('bigger' and 'costlier'). And add to that, SX4 now has no style factor in favour of it. Its competitors (and even the new DZire, IMO) are much stylish in their appearance. The current market trend is stylish-VFM cars, IMO.

Last edited by romeomidhun : 20th November 2012 at 10:10.
Old 20th November 2012, 10:32   #224
BHPian

As far as I know, Sx4 sales were severely impacted by the launch of new Verna and Vento and not because of new Dzire or Ertiga. Sx4 sales were down even before the Ertiga/Dzire was launched.

Till date I have seen just one Kizashi in Mumbai and it looked great. I am a huge fan of its waterfall console design.
Old 20th November 2012, 10:39   #225
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anandpadhye View Post

BTW, Kizashi is receiving all the praise in the media and on team-bhp. But why does it not come with a really high-tech engine (direct injection, turbo charged)??? Once I look at what I have under the bonnet of my TSi, any other perol engine in our market appears to be a joke. Why do they need 2.4 liters to extract 180 odd BHP? And what's the point in generating peak torque at such a high RPM? Times have changed, so have rules of the game :-)

Cheers!
Cos its not turbo charged? The laura generating just 160ps from a 1.8 liter turbo is rather lame imho when most 1.8 to 2 liter germans do over 200. I'd anyday take a high revving petrol over a turbo. Why you ask - cos its much easier to keep an NA engine in its peak power band and on the boil than a turbo. Also you don't have the lousy lag that exists in every single turbocharged engine.

Over a long run, NA engines will be more reliable as well. Everyone knows the number of gremlins any skoda/vw turbo petrol product has long term.Just ask any of the vRS owners.
reignofchaos is online now   (3) Thanks
Closed Thread