Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread

Old 20th November 2012, 15:03   #241
BHPian

Default Re: Kizashi at a whopping discount of Rs.5 lakhs!! UPDATE: Now at 11.49 L, Details Pg

I fail to see the point of this thread. Laura owners bashing a car they never bought. There are two owners of the Kizashi on this forum and they are happy with the product. Why not move on and post something useful somewhere else?
Bluu is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th November 2012, 15:12   #242
BHPian

Default Re: Kizashi at a whopping discount of Rs.5 lakhs!! UPDATE: Now at 11.49 L, Details Pg

Quote:
Originally Posted by civic-sense View Post
And Sonata did have a diesel heart, only the new one does not have it. the old one did not sell either.
And neither does Accord with a better brand value and a petrol only heart. By the way, the old Sonata was not a VFM proposition.

Quote:
Originally Posted by civic-sense View Post
But, either way, the argument is simple... the higher you go in the price ladder, brand value matters more.
Thats more like it. I'll tend to agree with your point above, more or less.
Old 20th November 2012, 15:22   #243
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluu View Post
I fail to see the point of this thread. Laura owners bashing a car they never bought. There are two owners of the Kizashi on this forum and they are happy with the product. Why not move on and post something useful somewhere else?
Sure.

The point is - this price after discount is what Kizashi deserved in the first place. And it still does not make up for the problem that "many years after others have launched and discontinued big petrol guzzling engines, Suzuki has come in and done the same! Nothing more, nothing different!!".

If Kizashi was Suzuki's poster boy, flagship car that they wanted to pit against the best in business, they should have brought in some real high-tech stuff. By now, even Hyundai has launched GDI in the new Sonata!!!

It's not Laura owners bashing Kizashi, it's just that I did not see any path-breaking stuff in Kizashi that I have seen in other cars.
Old 20th November 2012, 15:33   #244
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anandpadhye
The point is - this price after discount is what Kizashi deserved in the first place.
Well, for one, there is not much clarity about this new pricing. One hears widely varying prices for different states. Also is it for 1-2 year old cars that have been sitting in the yard ? Then maybe yes, it is the price it deserves. But if these are for new imports, it is a steal given that the car is a CBU, a huge customs-duty etc etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by anandpadhye
it's just that I did not see any path-breaking stuff in Kizashi that I have seen in other cars.
Not sure why you expect a 15-20L car to have "path-breaking" stuff in it. What is so path breaking about the other cars that cost that much or more ? Eg a Corolla fitted with a 1.4D engine that retails for like 15-16 lakhs ? For the same or lesser money, if I get a made-in-Japan car that puts out 180bhp, is more spacious and has great dynamics, I believe it is path-breaking. Or an Accord ? The current 10-15L range is what was the earlier 7-10lakh segment as far as purchasing power/aspiration-levels of today go.

Last edited by supremeBaleno : 20th November 2012 at 15:35.
supremeBaleno is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th November 2012, 15:38   #245
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno View Post
Not sure why you expect a 15-20L car to have "path-breaking" stuff in it. What is so path breaking about the other cars that cost that much or more ? Eg a Corolla fitted with a 1.4D engine that retails for like 15-16 lakhs ? For the same or lesser money, if I get a made-in-Japan car that puts out 180bhp, is more spacious and has great dynamics, I believe it is path-breaking. Or an Accord ? The current 15-20L range is what was the earlier 7-10lakh segment as far as purchasing power/aspiration-levels of today go.
I agree.
I don't expect.

After discounted price was announced, suddenly the car came to fame and people even went the distance reporting that Suzuki pumped in 10 times more money and effort in making this car and bla bla...so I started reading about it.

Yes, a powerful petrol car with great dynamics and reliability at this price point is good, very good. Even I may have bought it if I was in the market right now. But I may not have gone overboard praising it for what it does not have - that's the only point.

Regarding Corolla and Accord - again, I am not a fan of these either. They are grossly overpriced and bring nothing new to the table.
Old 20th November 2012, 15:58   #246
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anandpadhye View Post
Please read about GDI and it's advantages, mate.
So I did wiki about Gdi technology and have understood the gains. With this technology, the Laura Tsi engine at its rated power does not sound like much. It should be able to deliver more power. What I cannot answer is why Suzuki did not use Gdi. That in no way makes their engines inferior. Each company will adopt and use a technology depending on what they feel. Once again, the Kizashi not having Gdi does not mean it is a sissy engine. I would like a direct comparison of a car with the same cubic capacity and whatever else and then see where they stand when Gdi is used and the usual fuel injection technique is used.
Old 20th November 2012, 16:02   #247
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeepmohan View Post
I bet that 1.8l engine on your car will not give you more than 120 horse once you pull out the turbo charger.
I don't understand. Why should I? If you drive a CRDi diesel engine with a turbo, would you?

Quote:
As for fuel efficiency, I have yet the see the result that a turbo offers on a petrol engine. Do we have any direct comparisons?
I have myself have experienced it first hand. I have used a Toyota Corolla 1.8 for 8 years before the Laura TSI. I can safely say the TSI is more effecient. You can't get a more direct comparison than that.

Quote:
I am repeating my lines again and again. So a Skoda Laura vRs, manufactured right here, according to you priced right?
No. It is overpriced by a couple of lakhs. There is a discount of Rs. 3L on currently. That makes it good value IMO.

Quote:
I don't quite buy your explanation of how a naturally aspirated engine is lamer to drive beside a turbo petrol.
I never said NA engines are lamer. Please read my posts carefully.

Quote:
What is this revolutionary Tsi techmology you keep reminding us about?
Since you ask ..... http://www.volkswagen.co.uk/technology/petrol/tsi

I presume you also feel that CRDi is just some meaningless acronym that engineers came up with.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluu View Post
I thought there was some Laura TSI bashing going on here.
Congrats on your Kizashi btw. Nice to see that there still are people in our country that prefer the refinement and joy that only a petrol car can deliver. I hope this thread doesn't turn into a Diesel Vs Petrol duel now.

EDIt :

Quote:
Originally Posted by reignofchaos View Post
Rest of the world is developing 150-160ps from a 1.8-2L naturally aspirated engine these days. Why does skoda need a turbocharger and all the associated issues with the same for developing the same power?
Poor fuel quality. Most petrol cars are detuned for India for this reason.

Last edited by Santoshbhat : 20th November 2012 at 16:14. Reason: Added reply to RoC's question
Old 20th November 2012, 16:05   #248
Distinguished - BHPian

I am not sure why Laura v/s Kizashi is being discussed so intensively. Come to think of it, if I were a Laura owner, I would have surely loved the technology under the hood. Also speak about performance, efficiency what not. However, I would have owned one if I was in a European country or a place where the car is really meant to be. Each person I know who has brought a Skoda, right from the Fabia to a Superb has only bad things to say about the running costs and after sales. I bet that the Kizashi will be much more reliable. When non Kizashi owners bash up the car here, I think I can bash up a skoda too, even though I own neither. Of-course, the Kizashi does not have an expensive turbocharger, a set of expensive injectors, a DSG box whose reliability is questioned worldwide. If these fail in the long-run, I think the cost benefit achieved through difference in FE will level up with the maintenance costs. You get an NA 2.4 liter petrol engine with the Kizashi and a conventional/CVT gearbox. Though the parts are imported, I dont think it will be much expensive than a Laura, as the comparison here goes. So lets put this debate to rest. One will find pleasure in both the cars. It all depends upon his/her preferences.
Old 20th November 2012, 16:06   #249
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anandpadhye View Post
Sure.

The point is - this price after discount is what Kizashi deserved in the first place. And it still does not make up for the problem that "many years after others have launched and discontinued big petrol guzzling engines, Suzuki has come in and done the same! Nothing more, nothing different!!".

If Kizashi was Suzuki's poster boy, flagship car that they wanted to pit against the best in business, they should have brought in some real high-tech stuff. By now, even Hyundai has launched GDI in the new Sonata!!!

It's not Laura owners bashing Kizashi, it's just that I did not see any path-breaking stuff in Kizashi that I have seen in other cars.
The point is simply putting GDI engine does not make it a high tech engine. The hyundai engine you talk about is all paper horses. Drive it and it doesn't even feel like a 150bhp car, let alone a 200+ bhp car. Hell this laura's GDI with turbo charging doesn't match the power output(175ps) of a 1.6 liter mitsubishi 4g93 GDI mivec from 10-15 years ago. Also one must add, that engine was naturally aspirated.

Rest of the world is developing 150-160ps from a 1.8-2L naturally aspirated engine these days. Why does skoda need a turbocharger and all the associated issues with the same for developing the same power?

Last edited by reignofchaos : 20th November 2012 at 16:07.
Old 20th November 2012, 16:10   #250
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
So I did wiki about Gdi technology and have understood the gains. With this technology, the Laura Tsi engine at its rated power does not sound like much. It should be able to deliver more power. What I cannot answer is why Suzuki did not use Gdi. That in no way makes their engines inferior. Each company will adopt and use a technology depending on what they feel. Once again, the Kizashi not having Gdi does not mean it is a sissy engine. I would like a direct comparison of a car with the same cubic capacity and whatever else and then see where they stand when Gdi is used and the usual fuel injection technique is used.
OK, now that you have read about it, you know it's real good thing to happen to petrol engines. Why deny that? It's not about power. it's about emisions and efficiency. Guys like Honda had excellent carburetors but ever since MPFI came in, nobody ever talked about carbs again.

Suzuki could have even plonked a 3L engine and genarate some more power. The point is - they could have been a bit more intelligent and included the new tech, saving on everything - fuel, emissions, engine oil, weight, footprint...why deny that? Even Suzuki would not deny it.

I remember reading an interview of a Honda exec some months ago - he was asked why Honda does not have all this in their cars and he honestly replied - we did not invest much R&D into it and as of now other are ahead of us.

Simple - I liked him and I liked Honda for allowing him to say that. Sorry, i tried hard but I could not get a link to it. May be it was in one of the magazines.

EDIT: just missed @reignofchaos' post - GDI is not about power! And Mitsu was the first to introduce GDI in a street car I think.

Last edited by anandpadhye : 20th November 2012 at 16:13.
Old 20th November 2012, 16:15   #251
Senior - BHPian

Dear Skoda Laura owners

I don't hate your car. Please. It is in fact a fantastic car. It probably is the best drivers car you can buy in the segment it sells. This does not make another competitor car a total loser unless it really is. Tsi, Gdi, Vtec, Multijet, Crdi, Ufo are all great engine technologies car companies have developed and we all stand to gain from them.

I have to say this. At 11.49lac ex showroom for the Kizashi which means about 16lac on road for a fully imported Japanese car, it is a steal.

Last edited by sandeepmohan : 20th November 2012 at 16:23.
sandeepmohan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th November 2012, 16:22   #252
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
This does not make another competitor car a total loser unless it really is.

It's the customers who eventually become the loosers.

Suzuki, for example, created a powerful and thirsty beast, got some praise and went away. Over next many years, customers have to pay through their nose for the fuel and oil and the environment has to suffer.

If a company is making a powerful machine, they should strive hard to make it as efficient and clean as possible to help their customers enjoy it in the longer run.

Unless of course, the purpose was something else.
anandpadhye is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th November 2012, 16:26   #253
Team-BHP Support

Sonata has GDI and it put me to sleep. I have never seen a 200bhp car act so sedate. I have more fun driving my 120bhp GV. The gearing really matters.

Anyway, this thread is going too off-topic now. Discussing the engine technology isn't the purpose of this thread. - Support Team

EDIT: Since members are unable to heed the warning, thread is closed until things cool off.

Last edited by Samurai : 20th November 2012 at 16:58.
Samurai is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 8th May 2013, 08:27   #254
Team-BHP Support

Thread re-opened by request to post new discount info. Please do not go OT again.
Samurai is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th May 2013, 09:25   #255
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Thread re-opened by request to post new discount info. Please do not go OT again.
Thanks a lot for re opening of this thread as I wanted to share updated information on discounts regarding the Kizashi.

The Kizashi MT is now available for Rs 13,00,000 OTR ahmedabad that is the 2012 model that is nearly Rs.6.89 lakhs off considering that it costs Rs.19.89 OTR Ahmedabad.

Further the 2011 model is available for Rs.12,00,000 OTR ahmedabad that is a staggering Rs. 7.89 Lakhs off. Need to mention one thing though offer valid till stocks last and it is mostly white colour cars and 90% of the times offer is valid only on MT. If you are lucky enough to find a test drive vehicle from the dealer you might get the car for Rs.11,00,000 that may be CVT or MT.

Hope this information helps guys taking necessary decissions. If you consider buying the Kizashi please bargain a lot as the dealer is desperate to sell these cars since they are occupying unnecessary place in the stock yard.
rockporiom is offline   (3) Thanks
Closed Thread