Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread

Old 8th August 2012, 12:56   #106
Senior - BHPian

Default re: *Rumour* : Honda Civic to be pulled off from India

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarScream View Post
Actually, Honda's FCX Clarity hydrogen car is more conspicuous and real than the BMW concepts (and is on the road in California). It's just really expensive to make as a mass product at the moment.
Honda FCX Clarity Overview - Fuel Cell Electric Vehicle - Site
Thanks for the enlightenment. And as you rightly said, implementing these new technologies is way too expensive for the companies. For instance, Toyota Prius is a great product only killed by its exorbitant price in India.
Old 8th August 2012, 14:30   #107
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajay_satpute View Post
Toyota Prius is a great product only killed by its exorbitant price in India.
It is a CBU so attracts a confiscatory duty.
Old 10th August 2012, 16:02   #108
BHPian

In the meantime I read in CBSNews, which is in 'cars to avoid' list.

//Honda Civic While conceding that the Civic remains reliable with good gas mileage, CR test drivers criticized Honda's 2012 redesign. "The current model suffers from a choppy ride, noisy cabin, vague steering and mediocre interior quality," they say in the September issue of the magazine, also available on the magazine website to subscribers. The magazine recommends as compact car alternatives the Subaru Impreza, Hyundai Elantra and Mazda3.// [Source: http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-505145_1.../?tag=nl.e713]

This isn't a good news, and I never thought Civic would get such a criticism. From its launch, I am always been a fan of its interiors, we know the dash board is a delight to eyes.

Last edited by agbenny : 10th August 2012 at 16:03.
Old 10th August 2012, 19:22   #109
Senior - BHPian

Default SIEL out of Honda SIEL

Usha International from the Shriram group - the 'SIEL' in Honda SIEL has exited the joint venture by selling its stake to HMC for Rs 180 Crores.

With this so called 'partner' out of the venture it is high time HMC Japan pulled up its socks in India.

It's quite simple Honda - give the customers what they want - a diesel and better after sales, at prices that don't shock. You don't have a diesel? Get one from an engine manufacturer!! With the goodwill you have in India your products will sell themselves.

Usha sells stake in Honda Siel to Japanese partner for Rs 180 crore - The Economic Times

Cheers!

Last edited by R2D2 : 10th August 2012 at 19:25.
Old 11th August 2012, 17:59   #110
Distinguished - BHPian

Good to see Shriram out. Now Honda can get on with it. This was on the cards for a long time, the main issue was the price.
Old 14th August 2012, 04:04   #111
Senior - BHPian

Slightly unrelated but this week's Overdrive Q&A on CNBC seemed to suggest that the honda CITY too will be replaced with a new model. This was in the context of a diesel also being introduced with the City but I got the sense that it is being accompanied by a model change as well.

Does anyone have more information on this? I am a little surprised by this as I thought we were not far enough into the life cycle of the current gen city to be looking at a model change in the near future.
Old 14th August 2012, 06:38   #112
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axe77 View Post
Does anyone have more information on this? I am a little surprised by this as I thought we were not far enough into the life cycle of the current gen city to be looking at a model change in the near future.
The current Gen City was launched in late 2008 and has almost completed 4 years in india. Honda never stretches the life of a car just because people still buy it. Honda City has always been a hot selling model for Honda in India, but has always been replaced by around 5 years sharply. So it is actually no surprise that Honda is going to replace the current City, though it still is the bast of all the petrol sedans in the segment.
Though Honda has given the 9th Gen Civic a skip, I expect Honda to take the design and non localization of the Civic as a lesson and comes back with a bang (and a diesel engine) when the 10th Gen Civic is out. I seriously hope so.
aravind.anand is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th August 2012, 09:53   #113
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axe77 View Post
Slightly unrelated but this week's Overdrive Q&A on CNBC seemed to suggest that the honda CITY too will be replaced with a new model. This was in the context of a diesel also being introduced with the City but I got the sense that it is being accompanied by a model change as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aravind.anand View Post
The current Gen City was launched in late 2008 and has almost completed 4 years in india. Honda never stretches the life of a car just because people still buy it.
But still, I don't think the model change could happen before 2013.
As per Honda Cycle, this model was introduced in 2008, and the facelift done in 2012. So, ideally there will be 2 years before the model change as such can happen. Now, even if they hurry a bit on this, very less chance for this happening within an year.

Going by this logic, we should ideally expect the next gen City by 2014. Does this make sense?
Old 14th August 2012, 10:37   #114
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Not sure why I had missed this information all this while.

I am sad and glad at the same time, its glad from the India's perspective that the car is taken out to ensure the portfolio is shaken up.
But I am still amazed, if the petrol price and a costly mileage was the reason for stopping Honda Civic, how come they have still help the Honda CR-V alive.
Isnt CR-V the one that should be axed first.

I am sad because, Honda Civic was seriously one of my dream cars, I always dreamed of buying a Civic, when I grow old and move to the so called upper-middle class (note it was Lancer earlier). Now I have to look for another alternative.
Old 14th August 2012, 12:42   #115
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarathlal View Post
... facelift done in 2012. So, ideally there will be 2 years before the model change as such can happen.Going by this logic, we should ideally expect the next gen City by 2014. Does this make sense?
Exactly, I too think the same. And add the fact that the Diesel of the City is all new and thus will need quite a lot of testing time too. So the City might be launched in early 2014.
And the current Civic has been here for 6 years now, so the new Honda cycle is 6 years maybe?
Old 14th August 2012, 13:57   #116
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by xingamazon View Post
I am sad because, Honda Civic was seriously one of my dream cars, I always dreamed of buying a Civic, when I grow old and move to the so called upper-middle class (note it was Lancer earlier). Now I have to look for another alternative.
Do not worry. I expect the Civic to be back within a maximum of two to three years.
Old 15th August 2012, 11:41   #117
BHPian

I know that Civic's CNG version is a popular choice in US (because people can get a "Carpool Access OK" sticker with CNG car). Would be nice if CNG cars can also become mainstream in India. Good for environment & I'm sure Honda will have a real advantage there. They can launch Civic back again with no competition from City or others.
Old 15th August 2012, 20:58   #118
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by the.city
I know that Civic's CNG version is a popular choice in US (because people can get a "Carpool Access OK" sticker with CNG car). Would be nice if CNG cars can also become mainstream in India. Good for environment & I'm sure Honda will have a real advantage there. They can launch Civic back again with no competition from City or others.
OT but FYI, Civic with CNG is not at all popular choice in USA. It hardly contributes anything to total Civic sell counts. Moreover, I highly doubt that majority of states allow CNG equipped personal vehicles to be driven on HOV Lanes while not having High Occupancy. Whereas, most of the states do allow Hybrids on HOV Lanes making Toyota Prius more successful.
Old 15th August 2012, 21:15   #119
BHPian

From what I know, whoever allows Hybrids also allows CNG vehicles in Carpool lanes - because the purpose is the same (environmentally friendly..). But well I could be wrong.

Also, talking about sales - overall Hybrid sales are always going be better than CNGs simply because of the additional complication of CNG refilling stations/availability. So, nothing surprising here.

Either way - CNG is definitely something that I feel Honda should consider. Worth it
Old 15th August 2012, 22:03   #120
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
Do not worry. I expect the Civic to be back within a maximum of two to three years.
Your expectation could not be turned into a despair. I think it will come back again and early. Beacuse, in B segment Brio is there, in C2 - the city, in D1 - BLANK? (place reserved for Civic or so), in D2 segment Honda' s car is Accord. No car in D1 segment? It cannot be so.There is huge gap also between price of City and Accord, mid range could not be a missing. There are customers of different level. Its a business after all. Here stategy changes also with time? One step ahead - two step back or vice versa!
Closed Thread