Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Old 14th July 2008, 15:08   #106
Senior - BHPian

It is inetersting to see the discussion revolving around seat belts and high centre of gravity, veering away from the main focus , i.e. how safe is Innova in the event of accident. Innova lovers are ranting about its safety but not one has expressed his comments about the fact that an Amby, repeat an Amby killed 3/4 guys in an Innova. Now if Innova is safe then what about Amby? Super safe? When Innova occupants were not belted in then how can you expect Amby occupants to belted in. So I bet Amby occupants were not belted in and still nothing happened to them ( at least there is no mention of that ). How?

I have nothing personal against Innova or any other car but when some car owners go to great lengths to defend the car they own, it sounds very ridiculous. No car is perfect. Innova has good space and comfort, period. It stops there. You can't expect more than this in this MUV.

You can't change laws of physics and the higher a car is more prone it is to roll-over. The only way to make a high car safer is by increasing its width to compensate for the height but then there is limitations on width increase. When an SUV takes a sharp turn, centrifugal force would throw the roof away. Now if the suspension is stiff, the other side two wheels would just lift off--- after all that c. force has to be spent on something. If suspension is soft then wheels wouldn't lift off but body will tilt very precariously giving the occupants a heart attack. so either way it is no good. Yes, Innova def is better than Safari / Scorp on this count. But no way it can handle like a low slung sedan. I saw an accident when we were following a speeding Civic in my friend's Wagon R. Civic was doing roughly 130-140 and the driver suddenly slammed on thes brakes with full force to avoid a cow that ran across the highway. Since Civic was not in a straight line when it braked, the rear overtook the front and the car spun crazily around and slid before coming to a stop but there was not even a hint of any side lifting or of overturning. Luckily we were at a distnace and not fast, we could break in time. If we had to do the same in a Wagon R, result would have been similar to SUV.
pgsagar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th June 2009, 20:45   #107
Senior - BHPian

A poster mentioned that the Innova felt stable at 60-80 kph. Of course, that's only one owner but if its true then that is very good. I believe the moose test is done at 60 so that is fine isn't it?
McLaren Rulez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th June 2009, 21:37   #108
Senior - BHPian

i have never felt that the innova is safe! yes, i own an innova & still i am saying this. many say that the innova feels rock solid at high speeds. sadly, i dont feel so. the innova has a very floaty feeling & it wanders on the road (does not stick to its lane) above speeds of 120 kmph. reasons maybe its light weight or puny tyres. but thats definetely not safe according to me.

secondly, the sheet metal that toyota uses. its the worst i have seen on any indian car. it even clicks in when i lean on the fenders!!! heck, even a santro has tougher body shell. these japs really try to make the car lighter for better FE on the expense of sturdiness. examples: a splendour hit my stationary innova from behind & my rear bumper was a mess with a wide crack in between. a cyclist fell on my innova on the left fender leaving a huge dent on it. in both cases, the cyclist & the biker stood proudly & grinning within themselves. many may talk about crumple zones, but hey, even a skoda, a chevy, a tata or a ford has crumple zones. whatever it is, i dont feel safe in a car which can get dented by a cyclist. i am too scared to think what will happen in an encounter with a truck or other SUV...
raj_5004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th June 2009, 23:00   #109
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by raj_5004 View Post

secondly, the sheet metal that toyota uses. its the worst i have seen on any indian car. it even clicks in when i lean on the fenders!!! heck, even a santro has tougher body shell. these japs really try to make the car lighter for better FE on the expense of sturdiness. examples: a splendour hit my stationary innova from behind & my rear bumper was a mess with a wide crack in between. a cyclist fell on my innova on the left fender leaving a huge dent on it. in both cases, the cyclist & the biker stood proudly & grinning within themselves. many may talk about crumple zones, but hey, even a skoda, a chevy, a tata or a ford has crumple zones. whatever it is, i dont feel safe in a car which can get dented by a cyclist. i am too scared to think what will happen in an encounter with a truck or other SUV...
well thats your opinion. my innova just had an encounter with a best bus and it came out of it in very good shape. check my review.

btw it feels stable even at 160kmph.
Akshay1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th June 2009, 23:34   #110
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
...i have never felt that the innova is safe!.......

secondly, the sheet metal that toyota uses...
My friend owns an Innova and I have driven it many times. Its been quite sturdy on the road. I never felt any issues that you have mentioned here.

I have taken the Innova to 150+ KMs and its was convincingly stable. IMO the body roll in the Innova is much lesser than the Scorpio, Tavera, Safari! The Innova's handling at these speeds were also the best in class!

Not sure if the trouble you have mentioned is specific just to your Innova!

And the sheet metal, most Jap cars are built that way! But, I dont think its as bad as you have quoted!
anachronix is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15th June 2009, 23:55   #111
Senior - BHPian

My innova's pretty stable at speeds around 150. Not much body roll
maybe the circumstances in the accident for the innova were different.
vinaydas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th June 2009, 09:49   #112
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post
well thats your opinion. my innova just had an encounter with a best bus and it came out of it in very good shape. check my review.

btw it feels stable even at 160kmph.
yes sir, thats just my personal opinion. BTW, have you upsized your innova's tyres?

Quote:
Originally Posted by anachronix View Post
My friend owns an Innova and I have driven it many times. Its been quite sturdy on the road. I never felt any issues that you have mentioned here.

I have taken the Innova to 150+ KMs and its was convincingly stable. IMO the body roll in the Innova is much lesser than the Scorpio, Tavera, Safari! The Innova's handling at these speeds were also the best in class!

Not sure if the trouble you have mentioned is specific just to your Innova!

And the sheet metal, most Jap cars are built that way! But, I dont think its as bad as you have quoted!
yes mate, body roll & handling is much better than the SUVs. i have not mentioned anything about the handling in my post. but my innova definetely does not feel stable.

how bad can it be if a cyclist can dent your fender buddy? i am feeling bad because a cyclist made by wallet lighter by Rs. 8000!

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinaydas View Post
My innova's pretty stable at speeds around 150. Not much body roll
maybe the circumstances in the accident for the innova were different.
again, body roll is not an issue for me too.

i think i would like to add is that maybe my above post might have offended innova lovers but i would like to state that even i love the innova when it comes to its spacious & luxurious cabin, great ride & good handling. but at the same time, i dont feel it is as safe as the rivals.
raj_5004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th June 2009, 13:08   #113
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
yes sir, thats just my personal opinion. BTW, have you upsized your innova's tyres?

i think i would like to add is that maybe my above post might have offended innova lovers but i would like to state that even i love the innova when it comes to its spacious & luxurious cabin, great ride & good handling. but at the same time, i dont feel it is as safe as the rivals.
yes i have 225s but even before that on 205s it felt stable enough at 150kmph.

you dont have to add that disclaimer mate. its your opinion but if we disagree with it well say we do. we all have our own opinions about other cars.
Akshay1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th June 2009, 14:39   #114
BHPian

In a nutshell, The Innova is not worth a second look anymore, with the Fortuner in the works in a similar price bracket, driving a minivan would be so redundant, and safety was not a concern when Toyota designed the Innova.
indiandevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th June 2009, 15:03   #115
BHPian

just read the stories of innova hitting a dog at some speed and causing big damage to a car, and a speeding santro hitting innova from the back and still not much damage?

its very simple guys, every car is designed like that, the front of the car is designed to break easily to adhere to pedestrian safty norms, however thats not the case with rear part of the car. so it doesnt matter at what speed you hit an object you are going to get more damages in front.

my personal experience, my Magnum was hit by other car 4 times in bumper to bumper traffic due to suddent breaking (people just dont have control on their car, if i can manage to stop before hitting the car in front why cant guy in rear do that?). so there has been no damage, but all the 4 cars (who hit me) in different incident had major damages in the front.

In an another instance my frinend managed to hit (my Magnum) a biker at very low speed (biker didnt even fall) and the front bumper, frog lamp, wiper washer tank gone for the toss.

Another thing is Magnum's front bumper will cost you 2.5k and rear bumper will cost you 11k. thats how the cars are designed or should be designed.

Whatever, wear seatbelts!!!
throttleking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th June 2009, 16:19   #116
Senior - BHPian

I wish bumpers were made of the Reva material. Just the bumper so that the overall safety is not reduced but small dings don't cause damage. Dunno how it will impact pedestrian safety though
McLaren Rulez is offline   Reply With Quote