Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Old 7th August 2012, 19:11   #46
BHPian

Default Re: Indian Media Biased Against BMW/Merc/Audi Cars & Their Owners?

Well, I can draw parallels to a similar kind of "sensational" reporting done by our media. I am sure everyone of us has seen these kind of headlines :

" IIT Student caught in fraud in XYZ company"

"IIM Student arrested in US for beating his wife" .

Point is, it is not really relevant if the concerned person is from IIT/IIM . BUT, it does get more people to click on the link .

Also, perhaps it is unfair of us to completely blame this on Media. They create such sensationalism since people consume this . If people won't, then media won't. So, we are equally at fault here.
Peregrine is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 7th August 2012, 19:13   #47
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by S2!!! View Post
@ Smartcat

There were approximately 1.05 Lakh people who lost their lives in 2011 in India due to road accidents.
If they manage to come up with splits of these deaths due to road accidents being caused by each of the following, we all know what the list would look like. However all the media cares about are the expensive private vehicles.
  1. Public transport buses
  2. Private buses
  3. Overloaded goods carriers
  4. Private vehicles
If the media tears into a Kerala SRTC or TNSTC for the number of people they manage to kill annually due to road accidents, and that forces the corporations to take more safety measures, then I would say the media made a worthwhile contribution to the nation.
That being said, am not saying the BMW's and Audi's etc driven drunk causing deaths of innocent people should go scot free.. I think road accidents should be treated equal irrespective of the societal status of the guilty party. And in case of vehicles driven by a professional driver, like a bus or truck, the owner also needs to be held accountable for the accident if it is proven that the accident could be attributed to poor or low maintenance of the vehicle.
vineethvazhayil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th August 2012, 20:10   #48
BHPian

There are numerous cases of expensive cars involved in fatal accidents. Often there are often rich, powerful persons involved, who more often than not get away. The infamous 1999 case that started the 'BMW' trend is an example. 2 years of imprisonment after the death of 6 people, running from the crime scene, destruction of evidence, bribing of witnesses be damned. This as the law does not allow a higher penalty.

The media in general is far from perfect, however, at least the role of the media in highlighting such cases should be appreciated. Using of the brand registers the case in the public mind. With the passage of time when the case is likely to be forgotten, the mention of the car brand can bring it back into the public consciousness. An example is the Gurgaon case, where the main suspect has not yet been arrested. The media has highlighted the inaction on part of the authorities, even after more than 2 months passing in the case.

Last edited by mayjay : 7th August 2012 at 20:11.
mayjay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th August 2012, 21:07   #49
BHPian

The newspapers have been doing it for the past 2 decades. We, want to know all we can about the rich and the famous, to the extent of idolisation. A case in point are the over rated movie actors(sorry my personal opinion, no offences meant). Whatever much and whatever little they do, they are in the news, that too mostly on the front/back pages. Some Newspapers even have dedicated daily/weekly editions just based on them. IMO it is only our penchant for following these people that is taken advantage of by the media. Tell me, how many of us will read the article, if it only said '2 cars collide, 1 dead'. I really doubt many will.
abhinavinc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th August 2012, 22:16   #50
BHPian

First of all, we need a reality check. Our politicians while jailed receive VIP treatment, remember the kind of effort it took to jail Jessica Lal's killers. We need to remember the rich and the powerful get away with almost everything unless it is a media issue. It is no different when a BMW owner runs over someone. The mindset & most of the times reality is, they will get away. Hence the intense media scrutiny and the public interest.

The day this country graduates to nailing suspects no matter what power or position they hold, BMW will not make headlines.

Unfortunately till then, we will have the odd Gurgaon case. Remember this kid is still being shielded and the only reason there is some pressure on the authorities is because of the intense media focus.
AbhishekB86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th August 2012, 22:57   #51
Senior - BHPian

Our media is doing what any profit making company would do - market its contents to the viewer in order to attain maximum viewer-ship/ audience and gain maximum revenue out of this. Just like any company they are labelling their news in the most attractive manner to gain the viewers attention and make them curious and excited about it. In the whole race to report first, they focus on key words (like someone mentioned) such as drunk teenager, German Luxury car, Management student, speeding, etc and forget to focus on facts. Once they achieve their short sighted goal, they would cover the following events related to that news only till there is interest among the audience. Once interest fades off...another BREAKING NEWS!!! Its a whole business out there.

We may keep blaming the media and keep complaining as to how irresponsibly they function, but we are the ones on the other side, who read/ watch them with utmost interest. Channels like India TV and AAJ TAK come up with bizarre "breaking news stories" and show the news with all the "mirch-masala" that our audiences like and these are the channels which are most viewed and preferred by our Indian audiences. How many out here watch DD news (which shows nothing but news)?? So can we blame them then??

I so agree with what vineethvazhayil said that if our media does take up matters in its hands to improve the condition of our society by showing the blatant truth (and leave the mirch-masala part to daily soaps) and force the administrative department of our country to bring about reforms, it will bring about a significant contribution to out country (they have done it in the past). I am sure the media has enough power and potential to bring about a change to the society. The question is when will they use this power in the right direction.

Last edited by S2!!! : 7th August 2012 at 23:03.
S2!!! is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 7th August 2012, 23:38   #52
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zed View Post
Im afraid this is a pretty weak argument. Pedestrians get killed on account of injuries sustained when a bike or scooter rams them. On the flip side - speaking specifically about pedestrian safety - some of the cars that are labelled 'killers' by the media have safety features designed SPECIFICALLY to reduce injury to pedestrians in the event of low speed accidents. Last time I checked the M800 did not.

It was not an argument really. I said that in a light-hearted way. You missed the smiley at the end.

As I said earlier, it is not the cars that are killers in India, it is the road and road sense (or the lack thereof) that is the culprit.
novice_alto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th August 2012, 10:01   #53
BANNED

As long as the media has indians who love cricket , sensationalism and times now viewers .. dont think much can be done to improve the situation
greatmana2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th August 2012, 11:09   #54
Distinguished - BHPian

Why should we blame the media. I think in his rant against SUVs when he was MoEF Jairam Ramesh also singled out BMW and a couple of others as examples.
sgiitk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 8th August 2012, 11:30   #55
Senior - BHPian

Why only mainstream media. I can see that even on a highly educated forum like this. When there was a Polo catching fire, there was a separate thread on that (an already existing and fairly active fires thread notwithstanding) and people enjoyed taking pot shots even when the company made a statement. But I didnt see any separate such thread for the burning i20 here in Bangalore yesterday! Similarly theres a thread on flat-beds and Germans (as if others make 100% trouble free cars).

Seems like the Germans have a different aura and people are so enamored with them that theres a special place for them everywhere!

Last edited by joslicx : 8th August 2012 at 11:31.
joslicx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th August 2012, 15:24   #56
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by joslicx View Post
When there was a Polo catching fire, there was a separate thread on that
That thread was merged with the existing "Vehicles catching fire in India" thread once the Mods saw it. It's been over 48 hours since the merge, by the way.

Quote:
Similarly theres a thread on flat-beds and Germans (as if others make 100% trouble free cars).
Actually, statistics & innumerable reports prove that German cars of the current era are amongst the most unreliable. There isn't a doubt that the Japanese, Korean & Americans build far more reliable cars.
GTO is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 8th August 2012, 16:25   #57
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
That thread was merged with the existing "Vehicles catching fire in India" thread once the Mods saw it. It's been over 48 hours since the merge, by the way.
Actually the whole point was (and probably that is the whole point of this thread as well) a burning Polo merited a new thread and discussions but not a burning i20! Nobody gave a damn a new i20 (which is roughly of the same value as the Polo) was charred while moving on a highway. Nobody here even bothered to ask why that happened! The german didnt suffer the same fate though. People here talked about it, shared their views etc. I observed the same about the burnt Swift few months back. Nobody gave a damn about that either.
joslicx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th August 2012, 16:28   #58
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by joslicx View Post
Actually the whole point was (and probably that is the whole point of this thread as well) a burning Polo merited a new thread and discussions but not a burning i20! Nobody gave a damn a new i20 (which is roughly of the same value as the Polo) was charred while moving on a highway. Nobody here even bothered to ask why that happened! The german didnt suffer the same fate though. People here talked about it, shared their views etc. I observed the same about the burnt Swift few months back. Nobody gave a damn about that either.
It probably had something to do with the fact that someone died in a burnt Vento just a couple of months back. Nevertheless, the thread was merged the minute we got to it, so there's no point discussing the matter further.
GTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th August 2012, 20:33   #59
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by smartcat View Post
Short story: One guy driving a BMW rammed into another car and there was a fatality. But how does the Indian media report the incident?
Good thread!

Media knows what kind of stories the public gets hooked to. More than reporting the news, nowadays it’s more of reporting what the people want to see/hear.

Big brands are always objects of obsession, and any misdeed connected with these brands gets highlighted, and probably provide more visibility to the news bit. For e.g.; if a Suzuki hit a parked BMW, the news can be either “Suzuki slammed into a parked BMW”, or “A parked BMW created an accident”. Sadly, most of our media reporting will go with the latter.

Last edited by vb-san : 8th August 2012 at 20:33. Reason: realigned
vb-san is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th August 2012, 11:25   #60
BHPian

Interesting thread!

1. I couldn't really afford a BMW - It was an emotional decision and I really stretched to get one since I love cars. Please do not brand me as a 'killer'. I haven't really gotten into trouble with the car.

2. Bias: My own dad called me the day after a BMW crashed into an Indigo in Gurgaon killing a pregnant woman. He actually said 'Do you know another of 'your' BMW type people killed another few people on the road?' It did rile me up. Sensationalizing is phenomenal in the country with these 24 hr news channels completely devoid of useful news

3. If you ask me, the main killing reasons are over-fatigued drivers of cabs and trucks. They often fall asleep behind the wheel due to 18-20 hour days. It is natural for them to fall asleep because of their employers. I do not doubt that alcohol also kills in great numbers - It is not the only cause.

Drive safe.
elantracrdi05 is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote