Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Old 10th September 2012, 18:29   #106
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)
Default Re: 7 Simple Guidelines if you're buying a European car

Quote:
Originally Posted by carboy View Post
These people who service their japanese cars thrice a year and spend 4K on each service - who are they and how many kms do they drive per year?

I drive my swift around 10000 kms per year. I service my car once a year. In the odd year - it's a minor service costing 1500-2000. In the even year, it's a major service costing 4000-5000.
I don't know about you, but I personally used to service my Dzire VDI every 7500kms { after crossing 35k } and every time I got it serviced, the bill was nothing less than 4-5k. And I don't think my car had any issues as such. Anyway, I'm not sure if you got my point. If it's a Maruti / Hyundai people dont complain about it so much even if there were small niggles in the car. It's probably because one feels that they paid a lot less for it. But in case of a european car, where you might have paid a slight premium you probably get annoyed if small issues crop up. But these days most mass european cars such as Polo, Rapid, Vento are well priced and infact I personally feel that they are bang for your buck. Compare their prices to other cars such as the new swift, i20, verna and you know who is charging a premium here.

No doubt, there have been issues with DSG gear boxes and various other things as well, I'm not denying that. European cars are a lot more complicated in terms of electronics etc and sometimes they do falter. But the satisfaction you get out of their performance is immense. I had a japanese car { dzire vdi} for 4 years and did not face any major issues, but somehow I wasn't satisfied with certain parameters.
And let's not single out Skoda / VW here. Renault & Fiat are equally european as well.
motorworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th September 2012, 18:54   #107
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorworks View Post
I don't know about you, but I personally used to service my Dzire VDI every 7500kms { after crossing 35k } and every time I got it serviced, the bill was nothing less than 4-5k.
My Swift is petrol - I don't know if diesel has different service requirements.
My owner's manual requires a major service every 20000 kms and a minor service every 10000 kms. Minor Service is mainly oil change + minor stuff. So it doesn't ever cost more than Rs. 2000. Major service also requires more things (spark plug change, other oil changes, coolant change etc). It costs Rs. 4000-5000.

Does your owner's handbook require service every 7500 kms? If yes, what kind of stuff other than oil change does it require? Can you put a list of things in your bill every 7500 kms which end up costing 4-5k and if all these things are mentioned in the manual?

Quote:
And I don't think my car had any issues as such. Anyway, I'm not sure if you got my point. If it's a Maruti / Hyundai people dont complain about it so much even if there were small niggles in the car. It's probably because one feels that they paid a lot less for it.
If by niggle, you mean rattling etc, I am OK with it. What I don't want is - pump failure, brakes requiring to be change prematurely, clutch required to be change prematurely etc. My swift has run around 65000 kms and till now the only thing I have done outside of regular service is brake pad change at around 52000 kms. And Tyre change.

Last edited by carboy : 10th September 2012 at 18:56.
carboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th September 2012, 14:20   #108
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by carboy View Post
My Swift is petrol - I don't know if diesel has different service requirements.
My owner's manual requires a major service every 20000 kms and a minor service every 10000 kms. Minor Service is mainly oil change + minor stuff. So it doesn't ever cost more than Rs. 2000. Major service also requires more things (spark plug change, other oil changes, coolant change etc). It costs Rs. 4000-5000.

Does your owner's handbook require service every 7500 kms? If yes, what kind of stuff other than oil change does it require? Can you put a list of things in your bill every 7500 kms which end up costing 4-5k and if all these things are mentioned in the manual?

If by niggle, you mean rattling etc, I am OK with it. What I don't want is - pump failure, brakes requiring to be change prematurely, clutch required to be change prematurely etc. My swift has run around 65000 kms and till now the only thing I have done outside of regular service is brake pad change at around 52000 kms. And Tyre change.
1) I'm sure diesels cost much more to service and the amount that i have mentioned is what any swift diesel owner incurs. I'm sure people from T-Bhp who own swift diesels can comment on this. I dont have the bills since I have sold my car, but you can take my word for it. The service interval is 10k, but maruti service centers recommend you to do it once in 7500kms after you cross 35-40k.
2) You see, the dzire was my first car, so I was ok with smaller niggles too. When I wanted to upgrade, i definetly wanted a better experience with the car, so chose the Skoda rapid. Yes, VW/ Skoda may have a certain reputation of major issues, but I took the risk and I'm happy with it as on date. Things may change, you never know. Anyways, I'm not an employee of Skoda nor Maruti to take sides. Every car has its positves and negatives. May be for Skoda / VW it is reliability / Servicing at the moment. And japanese / korean cars are easier to live with, but may not be as well built, sturdy like the european cars. It's a personal choice really to live with what you want. I lived with a swift dzire for 4 years and when I had to buy a new one, it was simple really, Sunny vs SX4 vs Rapid and the Rapid won hands down almost in all aspects.
And today the Japanese and korean cars are equally as expensive as the european cars{ at least in B+, C & D segments}, so it's up to an individual to decide what one wants.
motorworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th September 2012, 14:31   #109
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
1) I'm sure diesels cost much more to service and the amount that i have mentioned is what any swift diesel owner incurs.
Do you remember what exactly was done at these 7500 km services which cost 4-5K Rs?
Quote:
I'm sure people from T-Bhp who own swift diesels can comment on this. I dont have the bills since I have sold my car, but you can take my word for it.
I wasn't at all doubting you. But service centers do a lot of unnecessary stuff which inflates the bill. One has to be alert.
Quote:

The service interval is 10k, but maruti service centers recommend you to do it once in 7500kms after you cross 35-40k.
Go by the manual. If you do service outside of what's recommended by the manual. You cannot complain that service costs per year is expensive.
If Maruti Service Centers say the manual is wrong, then ask them to give it in writing - I am sure they won't.

Last edited by carboy : 11th September 2012 at 14:34.
carboy is offline   Reply With Quote