Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread

Old 9th August 2012, 16:28   #16
Distinguished - BHPian

Default Re: Honda gearing up for CNG

Confirmed.

1) The City will be the first car in the Honda lineup to come with this separate CNG-enabled engine.

2) There will be a prominent sticker/badge to display the car as a CNGed one - probably "City" with a distinct "CNG" sticker below it.

3) This conversion cannot be done into earlier Citys. I specifically asked if my City (March 2012 model) can be converted, and the ASM said no, and I will lose my warranty.

4) Price yet to be determined, but expect it to start in the ~ 8-8.5L range.

5) All variants of the City will be available with this separate CNG option - Corporate, E MT, S MT & V MT.

6) Field personnel training has already started in Tier-I cities. Tier-II & Tier-III city Honda personnel to start their training from August-end onwards.

7) It will carry the standard Honda warranty of 2 years. An additional 2 years of Extended Warranty will be available too, as usual.

8) The engine is an imported one, slightly localised to meet latest emission standards of India.

9) This step was taken by Honda due to the severe dip in sales of late, specially in June-July. Expect 2 more Honda cars - the Brio & the Jazz, to go under the "CNG-ified" hammer if sales of the City improve after the CNG variant is launched.

10) The City "CNG" will be introduced in mid/late October (probably Dusshera time) to cater to the festival sales. It will be followed by the Brio AT launch by Diwali.

More details as soon as I get them.
RavenAvi is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 9th August 2012, 22:40   #17
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavenAvi View Post
Confirmed.

3) This conversion cannot be done into earlier Citys. I specifically asked if my City (March 2012 model) can be converted, and the ASM said no, and I will lose my warranty.
Is it only warranty issue or engine is not supported? I like to get my ANHC converted with company kit if possible.

Do you know Brio offered with AT and CNG option? That will be sweet. I can exchange my wife Santro -AT immediately.
Old 9th August 2012, 23:35   #18
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by niv26 View Post
Is it only warranty issue or engine is not supported? I like to get my ANHC converted with company kit if possible.

Do you know Brio offered with AT and CNG option? That will be sweet. I can exchange my wife Santro -AT immediately.
Engine is not supported.

Brio AT (CVT) is coming by Diwali. Brio CNG is not immediately on the cards, but might be on the burner depending on the response to the City CNG variants. If they do develop it, expect it by no sooner than mid 2013.

Between these and the diesels, next year could very well be the year of the Hondas in India.
RavenAvi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th August 2012, 12:59   #19
BHPian

Brio with CNG is definitely something to look for. But wondering where will the CNG tank fit in Brio's tiny boot. Will be a dangerous proposition with all glass boot lid and some moron rear-ending the Brio.
Old 10th August 2012, 13:37   #20
Senior - BHPian

CNG availability issues will sink the boat.
Unless I missed the part where it is mentioned that its a Dual Fuel car. Like switching over from Petrol to CNG at flick of a switch.
download2live is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th August 2012, 13:47   #21
BHPian

For the CNG fitted City, there will be modifications in the engine and also in the suspension set up. My contact at Honda says that these changes can be made at the Service centers.

He also told me that Honda has given detailed directions about RTO registration of the CNG kit fitted Honda City.

If CNG kits are not offered to the existing City customers, will they be going into details about registration?
Old 10th August 2012, 14:53   #22
BHPian

CNG Brio must be a joke. There is little space in the non-existant-boot. If honda still prefers to fit a CNG kit, then they should make Brio a 2 seater, and put the CNG cylinder in the rear-seat's place! LOL ..

After Brio test drive, I was appalled by the short-sight of Honda when it comes to boot space. Even my basic Alto has better boot space than Brio. To add more irritation, the dash design was totally amateurish. Doesn't gel with the exterior design language!
Old 10th August 2012, 18:05   #23
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KL01BE View Post
For the CNG fitted City, there will be modifications in the engine and also in the suspension set up. My contact at Honda says that these changes can be made at the Service centers.
Nope, this modified engine will be coming as a direct factory fitting only. It will be different from the 1.5L i-VTEC as we know it.

Any mods attempted to the existing petrol engine by existing City owners will void all warranties.

The Service Center personnel are only being trained with the technical details and servicing aspects of this CNG-ified engines.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KL01BE View Post
He also told me that Honda has given detailed directions about RTO registration of the CNG kit fitted Honda City.

If CNG kits are not offered to the existing City customers, will they be going into details about registration?
Naturally, with a modified engine and different specifications, Registration info is going to be different than the normal 1.5L i-VTEC's specs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajeshsundaram View Post
CNG Brio must be a joke. There is little space in the non-existant-boot. If honda still prefers to fit a CNG kit, then they should make Brio a 2 seater, and put the CNG cylinder in the rear-seat's place! LOL ..
Maybe utilise the space under the rear seat? They are good at space management (the Jazz being a perfect example) so they might find a adequately spacious place to fit the kit.
RavenAvi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th August 2012, 18:56   #24
BHPian

This is good news!! I hope they come up with Brio CNG as well! My favorite hatch will become the most brilliant package! Funky to look at, great to drive, decent space and very furl efficient! Great city car!

Keep us updated!
Old 10th August 2012, 19:33   #25
SAS
BHPian

What about the Civic? Anybody knows whether any kit shall be offered for Civic users? Or is the City CNG kit generic and can be fitted on the Civic as well? Somebody please do check and let me know. My wife is buying a 2nd hand Civic, that's why I'm extremely keen in this development.
Old 10th August 2012, 22:22   #26
BHPian

Naturally, with a modified engine and different specifications, Registration info is going to be different than the normal 1.5L i-VTEC's specs.

Thanks for confirming the news.

But is it necessary for giving a tutorial for the service center guys about the registration, if they are only giving factory fitted kits? AFIK, if it is a factory fitted kit, they will have to get it approved only once, that too from the HQ.

Also, what is the point behind giving outside agencies, if they are not looking at fitting CNG kits for the existing customers?

Again, I was given the view in one of the forums that CNG kits can be safely integrated to Honda cars, as there are many cars running on CNG(converted from else were of course)

Getting a news from the dealer here is hard(especially at Kollam- can't rate it as a tier II or III city)

Ahemadabad guys are yet to confirm the Rohan guys being part of this.

Regards
KL01BE
Old 17th August 2012, 03:17   #27
BHPian

I spoke to the Sundaram Honda guys in Hyderabad. They say the kit is on its way but cannot tell a timeline. Their service engineers are yet to be trained on CNG.

For the Brio and Jazz Honda may go for donut shaped tanked (about 12-15 KG).
Old 17th August 2012, 08:23   #28
SDP
Team-BHP Support

Interesting bit of news and definitely a move in the right direction by Honda.
More importantly its an indication that Honda India management has woken up from its deep slumber and are actually doing something concrete about the dismal sales and increasing competition. An early indication of they waking up was lowering the prices about an year back.

There are a whole bunch of Citys, Civics and a even Accords running on CNG in Mumbai. Having a factory fitted option would bring in the much needed peace of mind.

Whether this move would help Honda to improve the sales or not, is something that we need to watch out for. Maruti hasn't really gone anywhere with the CNG option offered on multiple models.

Last edited by SDP : 17th August 2012 at 08:25.
Old 17th August 2012, 11:19   #29
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by adityasiera View Post
I spoke to the Sundaram Honda guys in Hyderabad. They say the kit is on its way but cannot tell a timeline. Their service engineers are yet to be trained on CNG.

For the Brio and Jazz Honda may go for donut shaped tanked (about 12-15 KG).
Did you find out whether it can fit to older ANHC?

Thanks.
Old 17th August 2012, 14:43   #30
BHPian

Thats definetely great news for all Honda lovers!Finally honda seems to be ready to tow inline with the competition and has woken up to the need of the hour.great news i say!
I am especially surprised with this bit of news as i had enquired at the service centre about 2 months ago about of fitting my OHC Automatic with a cng kit from outside and was told very strongly that honda does not approve of their cars being run on cng and that they were told clearly not to accept cars running for service or repairs!! They even went to the extent of saying that honda cars are not designed to run on cng and hence there are lots of issues reported on cars that are now running on CNG.
Closed Thread