Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread

Old 15th August 2012, 00:12   #16
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Ex-Chevrolet President Karl Slym to head Tata Motors in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by teamveevee View Post
Hope he will be able to change the mindset of the lethargic Middle Management who has their own fiefdoms. Impart confidence in smart, energetic young engineers and MBAs.
+1 to that.
I have serious doubts or in other words Karl has to put all his efforts to change the mindset of the middle and lower level staff as well as the vendors/suppliers.
TML is being managed in some sarkaari style since long time.
Old 15th August 2012, 00:48   #17
BHPian

This is one of those issues where every comment is subjective if not completely useless. We just have to trust the professionalism of Tata Motors and the team to have used their judgement to pick the right person.

A person with experience of identifying the right products, developing them and taking them to market would be appropriate given the pipeline of new products Tata Motors have - none?, and the serious repercussion this will have in the short to mid-term.
Old 15th August 2012, 06:41   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by safari_lover
and this appointment, we can be rest assured that they are taking things seriously and in the market for a long haul. I wish them all the success they deserve.
Their success will be driven by merit, consumer perception and good leadership along with first class product, marketing etc etc.

As of now, they have some merit no doubt, but not lots of it.
On the consumer perception front they fail miserably except in the lorry and taxi segments.
They appear to be trying to change leadership and Karl Slym is a good bloke no doubt. However, as has been asked before, can he single handedly change the mind-sets of those old TM bandicoots?
Not sure, but shall wish him the best of luck!
shankar.balan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th August 2012, 07:50   #19
BHPian

Good move & all the best to Karl Slym.
It will a challenging job for him to turn around TaMo passenger car division & I hope he exceeds expectations.

When Carl Peter Forster was appointed MD & Group CEO in April 2010, similar turnaround was expected but nothing much changed for TAMo's India operations.
Old 16th August 2012, 08:39   #20
Senior - BHPian

Smile Re: Ex-Chevrolet President Karl Slym to head Tata Motors in India

Sorry for going OT, mods if you feel this needs to be in some other thread pls feel free to move.

Its not just Karl Slym joining TaMo, a host of automobile honchos are moving places with lots of poaching happening in the Indian automobile sector. It seems that Maruti is the favourite hunting ground for many executives who are more than happy to shift places. The link below details the same.

Car companies see churn as rivals poach top executives - The Times of India
Old 16th August 2012, 08:54   #21
BHPian

Karl has certainly led GM in tough times. But few of the strategies at GM were puzzling e.g. Stretching too much on Aveo, UVA models. Not bringing Diesel option for UVA at the time when Swift came up with brilliant Diesel engine. The same engine which was available to GM also. Was that the indicator that he couldn't get the pulse of Indian market?
Old 16th August 2012, 10:40   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by radek View Post
Karl has certainly led GM in tough times. But few of the strategies at GM were puzzling e.g. Stretching too much on Aveo, UVA models. Not bringing Diesel option for UVA at the time when Swift came up with brilliant Diesel engine. The same engine which was available to GM also. Was that the indicator that he couldn't get the pulse of Indian market?
During those hard days, GM India was not getting any support from its US parent who was in deep trouble. Why would GM channel US tax payers money to a 3rd world country? Karl did not have any choice but to go with a chinese, SAIC and use the existing GM India assents for a 50% stake in JV. So some of his decisions were not his choice and hence we cannot blame him totally. GM India is still afloat because of Karl to some extent....
teamveevee is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th August 2012, 13:59   #23
BHPian

This is my personal view and have had some exposure to Tata as a client, which leads me to say the following. If Tata Motors is like the Indian cricket team, then Carl Peter Forster was some what like Greg Chappell & the new appointment in some ways reminds me of Gary Kirsten.
Old 17th August 2012, 10:29   #24
BHPian

Great move Mr. Tata.

Tata Motors has so much goodwill thanks to their Indica V2, Nano and Indigo cars which, I dare say were competitive in the era that they belonged.

Their current product line looks extremely outdated, and the lethargy with which product upgrades are offered by Tata Motors, it wouldn't be surprising if Slym goes on a carnage starting with the design department. I wanna drive a Tata, but do they even keep a tab on their "authorized" dealers / service-stations?

Anyway - I would want to own a Tata Motors car, if Slym can offer me something that looks as good as the Beat/Cruze, with the same quality of service and reliability.

PS: This is based on my experience of owning a Tata Indica for 6.5 years.
Old 13th September 2012, 00:48   #25
Senior - BHPian

Business-Standard carried a article on Karl Slym's To Do list for Tata Motors. Nothing new to folks here but still a good read IMO.

source - http://www.bsmotoring.com/news/karl-...-motors/5733/1
safari_lover is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 13th September 2012, 07:41   #26
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fornax View Post
Tata Motors has so much goodwill thanks to their Indica V2, Nano and Indigo cars which, I dare say were competitive in the era that they belonged.

Their current product line looks extremely outdated, and the lethargy with which product upgrades are offered by Tata Motors, .. . .
It is like they got bursts of inspiration on their new products (when they got them), and then went into slumber while every one else kept making changes to the designs
Old 13th September 2012, 07:50   #27
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (4)

As long as Tata doesnt start making ancient and ugly Chevy designs I am happy. I dont want to see one more Tavera, Astra, Beat or Captiva running around wearing a T instead of the bowtie. He has his work cut out btw! As long as post sales service improves and the vehicles turn out niggle free, he has done 80% of his job. Once current products are reliable, should Tata go and launch new ones. , f
No problems with Tata designs, they are one of the better looking ones on road, esp when compared to Maruti or Mahindra. Just get the fit and finish and quality in line. Is it too much to ask for?
Old 13th September 2012, 09:17   #28
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by apachelongbow View Post
He has his work cut out btw! As long as post sales service improves
New MD need to cleanup the house and he has to do it fast. When can we see a new head for passenger car division? Will there be a new marketing chief? Looking forward to see some senior level departures from TM!.
Old 14th September 2012, 08:59   #29
Senior - BHPian

http://economictimes.indiatimes.com/...w/16391807.cms
Quote:
Czech carmaker Skoda has asked nearly a dozen of its senior staff to improve performance at a time when the company is working at strategies to boost its negligible market share.
"Yes, we have put ten people on probation for performance improvement," Skoda India MD Sudhir Rao confirmed to TOI. Rao, who took charge of operations at Skoda earlier this year, said the officials are from various departments, including sales and marketing functions. "There are certain areas where we need to improve and we have started working on this aspect through this exercise," he said.
Can we expect the same from Tata MD too?
Old 14th September 2012, 09:55   #30
Senior - BHPian

Good news for a Tata fan. I have always admired their vehicle for comfort and space they provide. I think the foremost aspect that Mr. Slym needs to look at as soon as he joins on Oct 1st, is the Quality department. Tata has some brilliant products such as the Manza but inconsistent quality and shoddy service work has ensured that this vehicle does not sell much. I hope the new MD can bring in fresh ideas and revive this home grown company.

Another wish is for him to ask the design department to copy some design cues from the JLR

Last edited by motomaverick : 14th September 2012 at 09:56.
Closed Thread