Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread

Old 23rd May 2014, 14:57   #31
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Rumour: Fortuner to get 2.5 D-4D in India

The rumours are getting triggered again. Toyota considering getting the 2.5L Fortuner to India.

Quote:
Back in 2012, we had reported that Toyota might launch the Fortuner with a 2.5 liter diesel engine in India. Now, according to a latest report, it has surfaced that Toyota will be launching the 2.5 liter engine in the base variant of the high selling Fortuner SUV.

Currently, the Toyota Fortuner is powered by a 3.0 liter turbocharged diesel motor which churns out 168 bhp of max power. The SUV is available in a two-wheel drive base variant, a 2WD automatic middle variant and a manual four-wheel-drive top variant. Also, with the addition of the 2.5 liter diesel engine, Toyota will also equip the range topping AWD variant with an automatic transmission.

The smaller 2.5-liter oil burner will pump out a max power of 142 bhp and will come mated to a manual transmission. This engine will not be available with All Wheel Drive. This new engine will be lighter and more fuel efficient compared to the 3.0 liter motor.
Link: Toyota to Launch Fortuner With 2.5 Liter Engine This Year
Old 23rd May 2014, 19:44   #32
D4D
BHPian

Not the best idea IMHO. It's the same innova engine with a VGT. So once it comes on our shores, the Innova owners will be frustrated with the step-motherly treatment from Toyota.

One of the main USPs of the fortuner is a big, truck like 3.0 l engine. I don't think a 2.5 will suit the class of people who are "displacement conscious."
Old 23rd May 2014, 20:28   #33
Team-BHP Support

I don't get it. This is going backwards. The Innova should be receiving this upgrade and not Fortuner receiving a downgrade option.

It's not a bad choice but the price should be competitive for this variant. Atleast bring it to Rexton pricing level.
Vid6639 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 23rd May 2014, 20:28   #34
Senior - BHPian

If this results in a sub 20 l price ex showroom then the q will just get longer outside a Toyota showroom. Just hope basic safety features and stuff like ACC and leather seats are not compromised
himanshugoswami is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd May 2014, 23:41   #35
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
I don't get it. This is going backwards. The Innova should be receiving this upgrade and not Fortuner receiving a downgrade option.

It's not a bad choice but the price should be competitive for this variant. Atleast bring it to Rexton pricing level.
Agreed 100%. I am convinced there is space for a 4WD Innova as well as an Innova A/T. I have no doubt a cut-price, even lower spec Fortuner will sell some more units, but I think the potential lies elsewhere.

Trust Toyota India to take inexplicable decisions, consequently seriously underperform to potential, and then appear to live happily ever after (viz. for a couple of years till the next facelift). I don't get it. Doesn't the Toyota leadership get these moments of angst and frustration of being an "also ran" under the excuse of steady growth? Or are they so happy with sub-par performance?

Last edited by Contrapunto : 23rd May 2014 at 23:43. Reason: minor adds and typos
Old 23rd May 2014, 23:51   #36
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Contrapunto View Post
Agreed 100%. I am convinced there is space for a 4WD Innova as well as an Innova A/T. I have no doubt a cut-price, even lower spec Fortuner will sell some more units, but I think the potential lies elsewhere.
Toyota would not be too keen or a Innova A/T or a 4WD Innova for that would make the Fortuner appear overpriced.

These two are the differentiating features that make the Fortuner sell.

Given a choice between a A/T Innova and a A/T Fortuner, the A/T Innova would win as it seats 7 in relatively better comfort and ride quality at almost half the price!
batterylow is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th May 2014, 10:30   #37
BHPian

What use will a 4WD Innova be. the ground clearance in this car is very low, and cross member behind gearbox scrapes big speed breakers often. AT will be a god send, and will bring back demand to the Innova and people like me who have moved away may return as Innova users.
Another fact is that all engines with VGT have a turbo lag and peak torque at a much higher speed which makes city driving a pain and high speed driving a pleasure, so such a engine with a AT is better than the torquey engine with less power but good low end torque.

Rahul
Rahul Rao is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th May 2014, 11:31   #38
BHPian

Man Toyota wants to milk the Fortuner brand dry. I guess they feel, innovation be damned lets milk this cow for whatever its worth. This will not only reduce brand appeal but also under power the Fortuner.

With the other thread on Toyota's follies and now this I guess TKM is bang on path to self destruction. I guess it time to sell my Fortuner and upgrade to more sensible products. Awful ride quality, interiors and now this.
Germans here I come.
Old 24th May 2014, 18:10   #39
Senior - BHPian

If priced right this can add significant volumes to Fortuner. In its present guise I find it overpriced. It is a no nonsense vehicle with good capabilities and low maintenance.However, lack of competition has made Toyota price it sky high and even then get 1000-1500 customers per month.

A 2.5 L vehicle with refreshed interiors and a reasonable price tag will expend the vehicle and pull customers from XUV. Right now the price difference between the XUV /Storme and the Fortuner is huge. I also hope that the 2.5 comes with a 4WD version and is not restricted to 2WD .
Old 24th May 2014, 19:58   #40
BHPian

I think instead of the new engine Toyota should put some more kit in it,like rear disc brakes,tip-tronic function in the A/T,traction control in all the variants and not just in the 4X4 manual,more than just 2 airbags,parking sensors(the camera is not enough) and smaller tit-bits which let it down like the cheap looking key,hard leather used in the interior etc could be changed for more premium bits.
Last but not the least offer the v6 as an option and improve the quality of the paint.
Abhishek3001 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th May 2014, 00:17   #41
BHPian

Guys I'm in a bit of a fix here. Should I continue with my booking for the fortuner or wait for the update ?? Delivery expected 1st week of June.
Old 26th May 2014, 13:29   #42
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by beanstalk_230 View Post
Guys I'm in a bit of a fix here. Should I continue with my booking for the fortuner or wait for the update ?? Delivery expected 1st week of June.
If you're going for the base 2WD version and you can probably wait till festive season, then it does make some sense, otherwise go forward with your booking and enjoy the power of the 3.0L engine.
Old 26th May 2014, 15:54   #43
BHPian

TKM may price this only marginally lower than the base 3.0 variant. I doubt the pricing will be more than 1 lac cheaper, unless they start knocking off some other features from the base model (I wonder what all will fall in this list which is already a striped down version).

The only way the cars are going to be cheaper is with the strengthening of the Indian rupee and more incentives by the new govt to the auto sector. It will be interesting to wait and watch for the oncoming budget proposals and take a decision for expensive purchases based on that.
Old 26th May 2014, 17:16   #44
BHPian

BTW the 2015/2016 Toyota Hilux has been caught testing in Australia and Thailand last month.

This is the rendering and speculation of the same: http://www.carscoops.com/2014/05/fut...x-compact.html
Old 26th May 2014, 21:38   #45
Senior - BHPian

Two more years to go for the next gen and sales that are dwindling, it is the Innova that is in need of the engine upgrade. What's stopping them from doing so? It gives more power, more FE and also makes the car a better highway cruiser.
In fact the only reason i made dad postpone our Innova purchase was the engine that was strained at 100+km/h. Now looks like we will be booking the Mobilio instead.

And wonder how much of the Fortuner customers will be willing to buy the 2.5l, unless it offers far superior mileage. The 1 lac difference won't be much of a bother for most of the Fortuner clientele. but they could have plonked the VNT in the Innova.
I mean, how much does it cost to install a new turbocharger system that's already used in their stable.
Closed Thread