Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread

Old 14th August 2012, 14:28   #1
BHPian

Default Rumour: Fortuner to get 2.5 D-4D in India

Quote:
News has suddenly started doing rounds that Toyota Kirlosakar India might launch a smaller engine for the high selling Fortuner entry level luxury SUV. It may be noted that Toyota recently introduced the 2.5 litre D-4D VNT engine in some markets abroad and there are fair chances of this engine option making it to Indian car market. Currently, the Fortuner on sale in India comes equipped with a 3.0 litre D-4D motor that pumps out a maximum power output of 171PS and max torque output of 343Nm. Compared to the older motor, the new engine generates marginally lesser power at 144 PS but similar torque at 343 Nm.
Source:Toyota Fortuner might get a smaller and more fuel efficient engine in India | Motoroids

I just checked out the Toyota's Malaysia, Thailand and Indonesia websites for fortuner specs. I found out that in Indonesia, Fortuner lineup has been updated with this new engine (No option of 3.0 D-4D), while it is in process of getting launched in Malaysia (site shows coming soon). In thailand however there is no mention of it however (only 3.0 D-4D).

Even the Toyota's Europe website lists this engine as the option in Hilux pickup (Hilux, Fortuner and Innova have been derived from same IMV platform), with the 3.0 option only in one double cab version.

Wikipedia says that 2.5 D-4D (2KD-FTV) is an updated version of 3.0 D-4D (1KD-FTV)

Wikipedia: Toyota KD engine - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
sarthakgupta is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 14th August 2012, 14:40   #2
Team-BHP Support

Default re: Rumour: Fortuner to get 2.5 D-4D in India

I guess it may not be a replacement to the current 3.0 engine. Will be a good move if the Fortuner gets another cheaper variant, not everyone cares about performance as long as it is cheaper and it looks the same. I guess if this engine comes it will be in 2wd guise, considering Fortuner's closest competitor- Ford Endeavour also has a smaller 2.5 Liter option offered only in 2wd at a lower price point compared to the bigger 3 litre variants.

I hope it is the 142hp, 343 nm version.

Last edited by .anshuman : 14th August 2012 at 14:46.
.anshuman is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th August 2012, 14:52   #3
Senior - BHPian

A welcome move on Toyota's part if they are able to cut a couple of lakhs to the entry level price tag of T-Fort. But again Toyota hasn't been able to meet the demand for T-Fort at the current prices/variants. Introduction of this variant will lead to more demand and longer waiting periods.
Old 14th August 2012, 15:33   #4
Senior - BHPian

It mayb e a smart move to keep the 3 liter engine in the 4x4 and plonk this smaller engine in the 2WD. I always felt the 3 liter engine was a bit of an overkill for the lower Fortuner variants.
Old 14th August 2012, 16:42   #5
Senior - BHPian

Even if it's plonked with the 140 bhp engine, it will still cost about 22 Lacs on road. Does it make sense to buy a 2 ton monster with an average engine for that money?

Atleast the 170 bhp was good enough to offer decent performance... With the 140 bhp engine, it would be even slower than the Scorpios and XUVs.
raj_5004 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 14th August 2012, 17:00   #6
Senior - BHPian

Guess it will only create one more variant with one more lesser price point and increase the scope of Fortuner market. But IMO where this engine may add value is if they plonk it in Innova. For that matter I suspect if it is the REAL 2.5 D-4D UNTUNED engine that does duty in Innova with lower tuning at 102BHP/200Nm.
Old 14th August 2012, 20:50   #7
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Rumour: Fortuner to get 2.5 D-4D in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by raj_5004 View Post
Even if it's plonked with the 140 bhp engine, it will still cost about 22 Lacs on road. Does it make sense to buy a 2 ton monster with an average engine for that money?

Atleast the 170 bhp was good enough to offer decent performance... With the 140 bhp engine, it would be even slower than the Scorpios and XUVs.
Two assumptions here, which I think are wrong - it'll be an average engine and it will be slower than Scorpios and XUVs. When the torque is almost the same, pulling power and acceleration will be similar. Top speed may be lower but then most people don't hit the top speed in their lifetime. The benefit will be higher mileage.
StarScream is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th August 2012, 21:24   #8
Senior - BHPian

Its basically the Innova Engine with a VGT and some ECU upgrades. Reality is that internationally Fortuner is sold as Hilux pick up and the 2.5 unit is quite popular.
In India, the proposition of Fortuner is like that of a luxury SUV, and not a built to last pick up. The 2.5 140+bhp format makes sense for Fortuner, but at a lower price. Like 18 lakh OTR. This way, they might be in a position to pull a few buyers from XUV ( and also Corolla sales might be hit ) and even Innova.

Makes sense atleast to me, as the Fortuner might become a wee bit more affordable. We dont live in a country where one can do high speeds all day long. 2.5 would be sufficient, but thats just it. Would be a 4X4 Innova sort of a thing.
Old 14th August 2012, 22:46   #9
Senior - BHPian

It would be great if they actually refresh the Innova with that engine, in the same price bracket. Innova would benefit a lot from an engine which could do better with highway cruising.

If they are able to bring down the prices by about 3L in Fortuner by using this engine, then a lot of potential XUV buyers could jump to buy a Fortuner. Toyota reliability!
Old 15th August 2012, 01:51   #10
Senior - BHPian

I wish they would instead introduce this engine in the Innova instead. The specs sound like a perfect power bump up, much required for the Innova.
Old 15th August 2012, 04:25   #11
MAS
Senior - BHPian

Hope Toyota plonks this new engine into the Innova and gives a 6th cog. This move will give an option to customers opting for the XUV.

If Fortuner gets this engine, difference beaten the Innova & the Fortuner will diminish. The resale value of current generation Fortuners will come down.
Old 15th August 2012, 09:19   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarScream View Post
Two assumptions here, which I think are wrong - it'll be an average engine and it will be slower than Scorpios and XUVs. When the torque is almost the same, pulling power and acceleration will be similar. Top speed may be lower but then most people don't hit the top speed in their lifetime. The benefit will be higher mileage.
To be honest, I feel the D-4D engine running in the Innova and Fortuner is pretty average. Yes, it is reliable but nothing exciting in it. So I have no reason to believe the new detuned engine will be better.

Performance wise - yes, I agree what you wrote about initial acceleration. But what about performance at the top end? Please note that I dont expect the Fortuner's on road price to drop below 22 Lacs, even with this engine... and this is not an engine which I expect in an SUV of that price.
Old 15th August 2012, 09:58   #13
Senior - BHPian

I agree with Raj. this seems a retrogade step unless it is accompanied by a massive price cut. If this engine is basically the Innova engine with VGT, then Toyota can potentially price this aggressively given the heavy localisation of that engine already and the economies of scal that already exist.

anything more than 17L ex showroom for this wont be worth it. And that's assuming the equiment is not deleted from the 3 L variant.
Old 15th August 2012, 11:16   #14
BHPian

I feel its seriously wishful thinking to expect the cost of this variant to fall somewhere in the range of 18-19 lacs OTR simply because the Innova (VX) currently retails for ~16 lacs OTR in most cities. I am sure Toyota will not want a situation where the Fortuner cannibalizes sales of its cashcow. Realistically IMHO it will be a lac or so cheaper than the current base 4x2.

Another wishful thinking is expecting this engine to be offered in the Innova. Even if it does one can expect the price to be perilously close to 18lacs where again one might want to consider the base 4x2 Manual Fortuner.

I for one am seriously hoping to be proved wrong on both counts.

In one of the earlier Autocar issues i remember reading in the scoop section that the New Innova due in 2014 will not have a significantly high bump up in power because Toyota wants to maintain the current levels of reliability.
Old 15th August 2012, 13:23   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by himanshugoswami View Post
I agree with Raj. this seems a retrogade step unless it is accompanied by a massive price cut. If this engine is basically the Innova engine with VGT, then Toyota can potentially price this aggressively given the heavy localisation of that engine already and the economies of scal that already exist.

anything more than 17L ex showroom for this wont be worth it. And that's assuming the equiment is not deleted from the 3 L variant.

I thought the current Innova engine already has a VGT. Am I wrong or am I missing something here?
Closed Thread