Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Old 23rd August 2012, 11:59   #16
BHPian

Default re: Maruti Suzuki A-Star facelift spotted abroad

Which car is that circled in blue? SX4 Hatch?

Name:  grey.JPG
Views: 2156
Size:  55.3 KB
aniket.tiwari27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd August 2012, 12:08   #17
BHPian

Head lamps looks promising and so is the real lights cluster. But, what's with the protruding fogs? Doesn't fit in.
hdnivara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd August 2012, 12:14   #18
BHPian

So, i10-inspired front, Punto-like alloys, and tail lamps lifted from Skoda - but all that does add up to make the A-Star look a lot better. Wonder why they didn't change the awkward angle of the rear quarter glass too, while they were at it? And blacken the B pillars?

Quote:
Originally Posted by aniket.tiwari27 View Post

Attachment 973914
Yes. They could launch it here and call it a mini-SUV, right?
one-77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd August 2012, 12:47   #19
BHPian

The rear looks far far better than the old version. Clever work by the designers without necessitating any major changes to the hatch or C pillar.
Daewood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd August 2012, 13:48   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aniket.tiwari27 View Post

Attachment 973914
Suzuki SX4 Hatch.

Sometime back, there were rumors that Skoda would badge engineer some Marutis in India. I suppose the tail-lamp influence came from the Skoda.
Eminenttismo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd August 2012, 13:54   #21
BHPian

Finally, if required I might consider A-Star AT as the second car for wiffy as the present looking one is a strict no no. The car really looks fresh and good and if compared with the present one its miles ahead.
.sourov is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd August 2012, 15:19   #22
BHPian

Default Re: Maruti Suzuki A-Star facelift spotted abroad

Quote:
Originally Posted by .sourov View Post
Finally, if required I might consider A-Star AT as the second car for wiffy as the present looking one is a strict no no. The car really looks fresh and good and if compared with the present one its miles ahead.
Actually the wifey/ females prefer the frogy eyes / pup eyes of the present A star and after having it for 5 months , I also prefer the different looks of it.
kippu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd August 2012, 16:11   #23
BHPian

I prefer the Froggie looks, as it differentiated the car from all it's 'aggressive' looking rivals. On the other hand, these new looks, combined with big alloys and the 1.2 K-Series engine, has solid potential to become a neat little hot hatch which looks the part too. Around 87bhp in an (approx) 900kg hatch? Sounds good to me. Perhaps some upgraded 175 section rubber too.
avi550m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd August 2012, 18:03   #24
Senior - BHPian

I bought my A-Satr AT last Aug just for those frog-eye lights. Don't know how any one can not like it? Mtaiz and Beetle and Porsches had those. Big round headlights actually look cute. I do not look the new look at all. Too i10-ish at front. And those Skoda tail-lamps? Naw. Existing A-Star looks much better.
pgsagar is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23rd August 2012, 20:11   #25
Senior - BHPian

None of these makeups will make A-Star sale-able in India. It needs a thorough make-over. Maruti has to lengthen A-Star by another 300mm in which 150mm should go to rear legroom and 150mm should go to boot, and redesign the front to make it look more matured.
romeomidhun is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd August 2012, 21:04   #26
Senior - BHPian

Besides the rear legroom, I think the A-star did not sell because of the price. Last time I checked in a showroom for an Astar, it was priced at 4.2L for the Lxi model after discounts. The Alto K10 Vxi costs a good 70K less.

Cars like Beat costs the same as A star and offers a lot more. Even a bigger engine with more space and better interior trim. Then pay a wee bit more and you can get a Figo with loads of space & awesome handling.

The only way Astar can taste success if they can seriously undercut the pricing. In this day of fierce competition, it is survival of the cheapest.
oxyzen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd August 2012, 22:11   #27
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by oxyzen View Post
Besides the rear legroom, I think the A-star did not sell because of the price. Last time I checked in a showroom for an Astar, it was priced at 4.2L for the Lxi model after discounts. The Alto K10 Vxi costs a good 70K less.
Agree, pricing is an issue for A-Star. A maximum price difference of 30-40K between Alto K10 and A-Star can be OK. But Alto K10 and A-Star are poles apart in terms of handling.

Last edited by romeomidhun : 23rd August 2012 at 22:14.
Old 23rd August 2012, 22:29   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by wantarangerover
I think its lost its character. Yes, it looked like a frog. But now it looks like an i10 mixed with an ertiga.
Always thought that the A star was an underachiever, given that its a good car overall. But Maruti has flooded this segment with lots of models and they are having a hard time segregating them and consequently having to price the A star higher than what it should be.

Absolutely agree!!! Maruti shudnt make so many cars in a single segment. Its very difficult for a customer to choose the right buy. Especially if one is going for low cost.
vinkel2002in is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th August 2012, 12:20   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by romeomidhun View Post
Maruti has to lengthen A-Star by another 300mm in which 150mm should go to rear legroom and 150mm should go to boot
That would make it as big as the Swift, with a 1 lakh lesser price tag. MUL will never do that and cannibalize Swift.
Daewood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th August 2012, 13:04   #30
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daewood View Post
That would make it as big as the Swift, with a 1 lakh lesser price tag. MUL will never do that and cannibalize Swift.
Yes, but AStar can never cannibalize Swift sales because Swift's brand value and image are in such a way that AStar can never achieve.