Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Old 23rd May 2013, 19:37   #46
BHPian

Default Re: Govt approves new category of vehicle 'quadricycle'

I'm still hoping for someone to answer my question please.
Can I legally import the Renault twizy now? : )
Maky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd May 2013, 20:10   #47
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MHG View Post
I disagree. A Quadricycle is safer than an Autorickshaw and a bike by a large measure.

Safety laws could prohibit quadricycles (along with autorickshaws and bikes) from using highways or similar roads. But beyond that I see no reason why NOT allow sale of a quadricycle class vehicle in India.
Our autos not only occupy ring roads in cities but even NHs. That too they run wild on the wrong side of the NHs.
venkateshkm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st September 2013, 11:33   #48
Distinguished - BHPian

Entry of quadricycles delayed as Tata motors, Maruti Suzuki and TVS asks more time for allowing them to be in the race too.

http://economictimes.indiatimes.com/...w/22843633.cms
volkman10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th February 2014, 09:20   #49
Distinguished - BHPian

Mahindra & Mahindra has started work on its own quadricycle to take on Bajaj Auto's RE60.

Source:ET
Old 4th February 2014, 09:31   #50
Senior - BHPian

Hopefully they should ban use of diesel and maybe petrol engines on these in cities. Should help clean up environment.
srishiva is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11th February 2014, 16:08   #51
Distinguished - BHPian

Quadricycles can now Ply on Indian roads - To be seen on roads sooner than expected.

Bajaj Auto’s plans for the RE60 quadricycle — a motorised four-wheeler that are smaller than cars and driven by less powerful engines — received a boost today, with the law ministry giving an in-principle approval to these classes of vehicles whose compactness allows for good manoeuvrability on crowded Indian streets.

M&M to follow soon in this path.

Source:TOI

Last edited by volkman10 : 11th February 2014 at 16:12.
Old 11th February 2014, 19:11   #52
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
Quadricycles can now Ply on Indian roads - To be seen on roads sooner than expected.
Only thing which worries me is crash & safety worthiness of these vehicles. Looking at Global NCAP test, RE60 if tested would result in nothing more than a crumpled piece of iron.

How can manufacturers put their business more important than providing safe transport vehicles. It seems value of life in India is lesser than other monetary gains.

I hope other manufacturer don't follow suit. A sad day in Indian automotive industry.
el lobo 6061 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th February 2014, 20:34   #53
BHPian

Regarding congestion on road I feel we should wait till this stuff is really on the road. When the Nano was announced everyone was up in arms about mayhem it would create on the roads. But we hardly see any on the roads.
rajivr1612 is online now   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12th February 2014, 13:26   #54
Senior - BHPian

Sri Lankan Department of Motor Traffic has declined an application from Bajaj Auto Ltd for the registration of the vehicle in the island nation, effectively putting brakes on the company's plans to take the quadricycle out of India. Basically, the country does not have a concept called “quadricycle” in its Motor Vehicle Act, & for the purpose of allowing Bajaj's RE60, the laws of the land will have to amended.

More details here:

http://www.livemint.com/Industry/Deb...Sri-Lanka.html

Last edited by CARDEEP : 12th February 2014 at 13:28.
CARDEEP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th February 2015, 08:04   #55
Distinguished - BHPian

After opposing the idea of 'quadricycles' Tata Motors is a surprise move names project code 'Bravo as its quadricycle project.

Reports are that t a project code- named 'Bravo', is underway to develop quadricycle from scratch. It will sport an all-new petrol engine.

Though approved for a roll out through a government notification dated February 19, 2014, quadricycles are yet to hit the roads because of a stay order from multiple high courts across the country.

http://auto.economictimes.indiatimes...ycles/46361645
volkman10 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25th February 2015, 17:15   #56
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by el lobo 6061 View Post
Only thing which worries me is crash & safety worthiness of these vehicles. Looking at Global NCAP test, RE60 if tested would result in nothing more than a crumpled piece of iron.

How can manufacturers put their business more important than providing safe transport vehicles. It seems value of life in India is lesser than other monetary gains.

I hope other manufacturer don't follow suit. A sad day in Indian automotive industry.
I agree that this is a real matter of concern to have such vehicles with meagerly poor safety features plying on the roads. But at the same time we still have vehicles like Alto, Go selling in our market which had received the ratings of 0 stars in Global crash tests and all the noises which many people made during then now got settled. Even the Government has started thinking of diluting/relaxing the stringent norms that they once thought to force implement on vehicle safety .
Amarkarthi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th April 2015, 01:23   #57
BHPian

Why haven't vehicles like Magic Iris or atleast Mahindra Gio Cab already qualified as quadricycles? What could be the possible definition under law that covers RE60 but excludes Gio Cab?

If not, Gio cab is to be classified at best as 4-wheeled 'Auto'.

Name:  Mini Truck   Mini Cab   Compact Cab   .png
Views: 309
Size:  271.5 KB
Senna4Ever is offline   Reply With Quote