Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Old 19th May 2013, 19:45   #151
BHPian

Default Re: Worst OEM Headlight

I would say the VW Polo has, if not the worst, a very weak headlight, try driving on a street with ample street lights and the headlight beam from the Polo is almost non existent.
Driving a Polo with stock lighting is a very bad idea, though the design of the reflector isn't bad, its just that the stock bulbs don't provide enough throw and don't light up the road ahead properly, I am yet to be in a Figo at night, but the Polo is definitely amongst the worst when it comes to stock headlights.
599gto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th May 2013, 16:00   #152
BHPian

Guys, issue is with reflectors.

Mine is sx4. I would rate it worst .

But it has 55/60W bulb. So the wattage is not the issue. Reflector is too bad. The design of the head light is very good, but it doesn't do the actual duty it is supposed to do.

Those who have experiance with TVS bikes, will understand. All TVS bikes have got very good head lights including Scooty. All their vechicles equip with 35W head light. Still nothing is compared to their head light power exception could be bajaj 220, which has got a projection set up.

So, high wattage bulbs can't do much in this case until and unless we change the reflectors.
Keralite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th May 2013, 16:12   #153
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by acroback View Post
Worst OEM headlight has to be from Honda City.
When I was co-passenger in my Boss's City, I could barely see the light.

Must be awful for City owners, No?
Agreed and I learnt this the hard way in the Bangalore Pune highway since I drove off to Pune immediately after buying the car!
It was quite terrifying at night, especially at high speeds on the highway.

First thing, bought the Philps extreme vision (or whatever they're called now) headlamps. Best decision ever!
dozer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20th May 2013, 16:44   #154
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 599gto View Post
I would say the VW Polo....
..., I am yet to be in a Figo at night, but the Polo is definitely amongst the worst when it comes to stock headlights.
Polo's head lamp is way better than Figo. My Bro is having a Polo and myself having a Figo, so this is from my experience. I myself having fog lamps on my Figo, still Polo without fog can beat it. The spread in Polo is even and lit up well.
DRIVE_ADDICT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th May 2013, 17:14   #155
BHPian

My vote goes to the Optra Magnum Diesel. The low beam is virutally not usable on it's own. One needs the fogs along with the same. Thankfully I usually travel on well lit roads - otherwise I would have been struggling.
kewlferrari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th May 2013, 18:09   #156
BHPian

Wow! So many contenders? Thought my verna would win hands down. My headlights are so bad that

1. I use it only to let me presence known to other motorists and are as effective as a torchlight in the dark.
2. I regularly toggle between parking and low beams to ensure that I am not driving only with parking beams on and to feel the difference between these 2 lights.
3. I, from time to time try to drive close to any vehicle with shiny backside to check if both the bulbs on my car is lighted up and visible to other fellow road users.
4. When Tata aces and indicas blind me with their high beams I have stopped flashing them back. I do not think my head beam make any difference. At best they would think I am trying to switch off and switch on my head lights again. And if it makes them think why I did so long after I pass them, I can claim some moral victory. For I made them think about head lights and how unfortunate few fellow road users can be by driving almost blind.

Last edited by DWind : 20th May 2013 at 18:11.
DWind is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20th May 2013, 18:25   #157
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DWind View Post
Wow! So many contenders? Thought my verna would win hands down. My headlights are so bad that

4. When Tata aces and indicas blind me with their high beams I have stopped flashing them back. I do not think my head beam make any difference. At best they would think I am trying to switch off and switch on my head lights again. And if it makes them think why I did so long after I pass them.
Hi DWind, contrary to what you have said I always thought Hyundai cars have one of the most powerful headlights on the road even if they are not Xenons or projectors.

Be it the i20 or even the humble i10, both their low & full beams are quite powerful.
I've never paid close attention to the Verna's headlight, but going by what you are saying I think it must be less powerful than i20's HL.

OT- +1 to what you said about the Tata Aces. IMO they are the worst HLs to face in oncoming traffic. They don't even pay heed to your flashing of lights if they aren't powerful enough.
It's good that I've a good set of bulbs in my Zen, so I make sure they lower their beam and not ignore me

-Bhargav
Octane_Power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th May 2013, 19:25   #158
BHPian

[quote="subratasenn;3045751"

Same with Etios/Liva. Yet to see anyone complaining. I am very happy with the OE headlamps through my initial 9000 km of driving. Never felt like upgrading.[/QUOTE]

Agree with you cent percent. I too have the Liva GD and last month did a trip from Chennai to Thiruvalla, Kerala, my native place. Driving at night through the twisties at Ranni, I felt the headlights are superb for a car which incorporates lot of cost cutting.
rajivr1612 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th May 2013, 19:45   #159
BHPian

In my Etios i found the stock head lamps to be adequate for night driving, but if it rains the light becomes much poor. I do a lot of highway driving in night. So last year before the rainy season i upgraded to 90/100 bulbs with relay. Though the Etios head lamps are good still i would say my previous Maruti Alto had way better lights with 90/100 bulbs and relay.
Coming to real bad light my Fiat Uno with new head lights still give a very poor spread and light even with 90/100 bulbs.
Samba is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20th May 2013, 20:04   #160
BHPian

The OEM bulbs on my Cruze were horrible. Just about ok in the city but fails to adequately illuminate highways and you automatically tend to drive slower. I feel the light scatters away not very far from the car.
I switched to Philips Xtreme Vision 60/55 and there was only a marginal difference. Then I replaced them with Osram Nightbreakers 60/55 and find them to be far better although eventually I will have to shift to HID/projectors.

The OEM lights on my Nano are excellent. I dont take her on the highway, but in the city, I find her lights quite good. Same goes with my Dad's Vista too. The spread is fantastic and even on high beam the road right in front of the car is well lit like as though a pair of fog lamps are in use.

But having driven my cousin's Figo recently, I have to admit, my vote for the worst pair of OEM headlights has go to the Figo.
SCORPION is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19th June 2013, 22:51   #161
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
SO that confirms, both the gen Swifts are bad on this aspect!

All the members of my family has pointed out that the headlights are weak! I had the NBs for some time, which solved the issue, but after those conking off in 1 year, didn't want to put another Rs. 1200/- on those!

Agree! I can't recollect about the old Wagon R [though we had it], but the new one is terrific! Feels like a 90/100 bulb [compared to Swift]!
Quote:
Originally Posted by k149in View Post
Yes, Figo is much worse when compared to Swift. The light spread is extremmely bad. We changed the OEM to 90/100, but still the problem remains.

The new Swift seems to be better than the older Swift though.

Anybody, please share how to overcome this lightspread problem with Figo.
Quote:
Originally Posted by VW2010 View Post
Worst OEM headlight in a completely different approach is that "kutti Yanai", Tata Ace and these new generation share vans.

The designer is stupid to set up such a powerful lights and at an height which only hinders opposite vehicle. The designer should be blamed for such an arrangement.

Back to topic, i feel swift is inadequate as well and the white lights are absolutely useless in rain. Can hardly see the tarmac.

To everyone complaining about just the few feet of illumination that the swift's low beam provides, there's a simple fix for that.

The headlamps have an adjustment screw for up/down movement of the entire headlamp. Note that this is different from the electric adjustment that you get from inside the car. Check your manual for details.

I got those screws turned up all the way and the reach of the low beam is absolutely fantastic now. I do turn it down using the electric adjustment when there are people in the back, of course.
d3mon is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25th October 2013, 14:35   #162
BHPian

I am including on more candidate to this list : MARUTI ERTIGA

It has the worst headlight for this size of car.
Even in normal season even you can see the road with low beam.
Thank God maruti has also provided a Fog lamp so it managbale at night.

This week end i will upgrade it to 100/90 with relay.
KALINGA is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25th October 2013, 16:40   #163
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KALINGA View Post

I just realised this last week. I took the Ertiga out at Night inside the city you sometimes wonder if your lights are even ON !!

A point on the Figo. I have the refresh version with the new headlamp design and I must say it is very good. I have the stock 60W bulbs and have done 2 Chennai - Bangalore trips at night and found them very satisfactory.
fiat_tarun is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25th October 2013, 16:49   #164
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KALINGA View Post

Being an Ertiga owner, I am in 100% agreement with you. But before adding a relay, do check with w/ Maruti Service 1st? When I asked about the same, they told me that the warranty will be void if I do this. That's why I was forced to live with this puny lights
mohandas is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 1st March 2014, 13:11   #165
BANNED

Fabia (and the Polo, I guess, effectively being the same) are the worst ones I've ever seen.
My Maruti 800's lights are better.
HyperRetard is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote