Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Old 5th September 2012, 15:39   #16
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: West Bengal announces lifetime tax on cars

Quote:
Originally Posted by subratasenn View Post
Incidentally, West Bengal still has a system of paying yearly road-tax, but that's for vehicles more than 10 years old.
- I pay road tax for my Premier Padmini Padmini every year - very light on the pocket - heck! its almost <equal to the rent I pay for the secured parking Only problem is that i often forget about the expiry date on the Road Tax permit, but that is not a big issue.

on the contrary, the other two cars attract "Audio Tax" @ Rs. 300 / year.
planet_rocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th September 2012, 15:53   #17
BHPian

Can anyone point out the exact figures ie, by how much tax has gone up.

Last edited by Pancham : 5th September 2012 at 15:55.
Pancham is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 5th September 2012, 15:55   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pancham View Post
Earlier you were qouted 28K? For 5 year tax or lifetime? 5.5% of car price is for Lifetime tax isn't it??
Earlier I was quoted 28K for 5-year tax/regn. 5.5% is for 5 years (called lifetime) and 10% is for one time (called one time).
johy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th September 2012, 16:21   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by johy View Post
Earlier I was quoted 28K for 5-year tax/regn. 5.5% is for 5 years (called lifetime) and 10% is for one time (called one time).
Its the other way around. 5 years is 1-time.

West Bengal announces lifetime tax on cars-wbtax.png

Relevant docs may be downloaded from here https://vahan.wb.nic.in/Notice/

Last edited by shuvc : 5th September 2012 at 16:22.
shuvc is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 5th October 2012, 13:52   #20
BHPian

Unhappy Re: West Bengal announces lifetime tax on cars

I have a query on road tax for cars in Kolkata. I have a Maruti Zen LX model (registered in 1997). The car has just cross 15 years and tax has to be paid now. CF is done, but certificate wont be issued until tax is paid.

I had sent some person to the RTO, and they said I have to pay approximately Rs. 25,500 for 5 yrs tax. Their valuation of the car for tax purpose is about 3.5 lakh as per latest west bengal motor vehicles tax rules. They look at the cost of the vehicle at the time of original purchase. I cant believe this to be true for a 15 year old vehicle. I checked out the WB RTO website, but cant get an understanding on how to calculate the tax. Can someone please help me understand the following:

1. What is the difference between one time tax, and life time tax in West Bengal?
2. Can I pay yearly tax for my Zen, or do I have to pay one time tax/life time tax for a 15 year old vehicle.
3. What would be the approximate tax payable for my vehicle? 1997 model Zen LX (AC), 993 CC engine. 25K seems to be on the higher side for a 15 yr old vehicle.

It would be very helpful if someone has any good contact in the RTO or an agent who can guide me on how much tax to pay, and share their contact details with me.

I will be going to Kolkata during Pujo and want the car papers to be in order before that. Urgent help solicited.

Regards,

Sourav
souravdebiswas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th October 2012, 14:06   #21
Team-BHP Support

Now I understand why the relatives of an exotic car owner in Bangalore have an WB reg X5 and E class
ajmat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th October 2012, 00:31   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by souravdebiswas View Post
I have a query on road tax for cars in Kolkata. I have a Maruti Zen LX model (registered in 1997). The car has just cross 15 years and tax has to be paid now. CF is done, but certificate wont be issued until tax is paid.

Can I pay yearly tax for my Zen, or do I have to pay one time tax/life time tax for a 15 year old vehicle.

Sourav
Yes, you can pay yearly tax in West Bengal. That provision is still there.
subratasenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th October 2012, 17:15   #23
adc
Senior - BHPian

Safari Dicor 2.2 LX VTT bought on October 14, 2007, and the first VTT out here, was due to tax - and the I quote that I got made any idea of a future long distance travel by Safari go out of the window for a long long time.

Many a city folks are going to get a nasty jolt as you go out for renew of road tax.

I just paid Rs 91,632 [ Ninety one thousand Six hundred and thirty two ] as "lifetime tax" for the 5 year old Safari LX model.

The 5 year tax has been deliberately skewed so that the majority cough up more money for the lifetime tax and was coming some Rs 75000 for a 5 year period.

The whole thing has been skewed such that things look innocuous in paper till you get the quote from the computer of the RTO officer!

Last edited by adc : 18th October 2012 at 17:33.
adc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th October 2012, 17:42   #24
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (4)

Momta the corrupt has this new ace up her non existant sleeve. I am sure quoting aam aadmi for every scam she does, now she wants to milk the existing car owner cash cow to collect more money for her pauper coffers. Someone please either exterminate her or indict her in some scam/jail case
apachelongbow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th October 2012, 18:50   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adc View Post
I just paid Rs 91,632 [ Ninety one thousand Six hundred and thirty two ] as "lifetime tax" for the 5 year old Safari LX model.
What is the basis of calculation ? Have they caculated the tax on the depreciated value of your 5-year old Safari or are they taking the new Safari ex-showroom prices as on date?
arjab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th October 2012, 00:41   #26
BHPian

Quote:

The 5 year tax has been deliberately skewed so that the majority cough up more money for the lifetime tax and was coming some Rs 75000 for a 5 year period.
Are they calculating 5 year/life time tax at the time of renewal on the basis of the price paid when you bought the car? I don't get the logic, because you have already paid tax for 5 years. So the life-time tax calculation should be having some concessions!
Old 19th October 2012, 01:00   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MHG View Post
Its sad to see unscientific methods being used to gauge who pays how much road tax. There are only three parameters that really decide who uses up more resources:
  1. Area occupied by the vehicle on the ground (max length x max breadth)
  2. Pollution caused by the vehicle (under mixed conditions) per unit distance
  3. Total distance travelled by the vehicle on road
The last cannot be determined without leaving room for manipulation. But the first two are parameters which are the only things that should ever matter.
The Road Tax can collected through fuel. The more I run my vehicle the more I use the road, the more I fill fuel and the more I pay tax.

It is ridiculous that when my friend who drives his car about 2500 KMs a month paid as much as I paid, using the same make and model car for 500 KMs a month.

Moreover, if I am using the car in a different state, I will fill fuel there and the road tax will go to that state government.

Whats you take?
byomjeet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th October 2012, 08:54   #28
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by byomjeet View Post
The Road Tax can collected through fuel. The more I run my vehicle the more I use the road, the more I fill fuel and the more I pay tax.
Not sure if would be practical in the current scheme of things

Fuel price has to go up considerably if the road tax component is added to it and this would be applicable for new and existing vehicles alike. Since all existing vehicles would have paid the road tax already, those owners would be subject to double taxation as they have to pay the road tax again when they buy fuel.

Also imagine the impact on commodity prices due to the increase in fuel price. Currently, the road tax paid for the trucks carrying the food and other commodities is not part of the food price equation (it is part of the initial investment for the transporter) but the moment it is part of fuel price, that burden would also be transferred to the consumers.

Same would apply to public transport vehicles like buses, taxis, autos as well.
zenren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th October 2012, 10:27   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Yes, you can pay yearly tax in West Bengal. That provision is still there.
Not any more. This provision has been scrapped. Regardless of age now tax must be paid in 5 year blocks that too at the current ex-showroom price even for old vehicles

Quote:
Safari Dicor 2.2 LX VTT bought on October 14, 2007, and the first VTT out here, was due to tax - and the I quote that I got made any idea of a future long distance travel by Safari go out of the window for a long long time.

Many a city folks are going to get a nasty jolt as you go out for renew of road tax.

The whole thing has been skewed such that things look innocuous in paper till you get the quote from the computer of the RTO officer!
Tell me about it. My 11 year old Zen would probably sell for 40-50K if I am lucky while I have to cough up 25K early next year for my next road tax payment of the car. I am thinking of now dumping it and getting a new car. On another note, good to see you back. Can't wait to hear about your biking experience. Hope that travelogue will be up soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by apachelongbow View Post
Momta the corrupt has this new ace up her non existant sleeve. I am sure quoting aam aadmi for every scam she does, now she wants to milk the existing car owner cash cow to collect more money for her pauper coffers. Someone please either exterminate her or indict her in some scam/jail case
Careful, her thought poolish will come after you . On a serious note, states like WB which have suffered a lack of industry for the past 36 years have themselves to blame for poor tax collection. These policies are knee jerk reactions to somehow bridge the revenue gap. The state has an accumulated deficit of over 2 lakh crores now. This is not only in WB but I believe both TN and Karnataka where lifetime tax burns a big hole in the pocket. Most states in India suffer from huge revenue deficits and they resort to such tactics to boost their coffers. I have said this earlier in other threads as well. The revenue share of states on income taxes have to increase and our finances need to be more decentralized ASAP because it is the states who end up paying for more of the services that we avail on a day to day basis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjab View Post
What is the basis of calculation ? Have they caculated the tax on the depreciated value of your 5-year old Safari or are they taking the new Safari ex-showroom prices as on date?
Quote:
Are they calculating 5 year/life time tax at the time of renewal on the basis of the price paid when you bought the car? I don't get the logic, because you have already paid tax for 5 years. So the life-time tax calculation should be having some concessions!
As stated earlier the current ex-showroom price of the vehicle. I wonder what they would do for those cars that are not sold any more like the Getz or the Palio. Also no concessions at all which is utterly ridiculous. I end up paying the same road tax for a car which rarely plies when I compare to one which is used frequently. I cannot put in any more head bang smileys.
samarjitdhar is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19th October 2012, 10:37   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by samarjitdhar View Post
As stated earlier the current ex-showroom price of the vehicle. I wonder what they would do for those cars that are not sold any more like the Getz or the Palio. Also no concessions at all which is utterly ridiculous. I end up paying the same road tax for a car which rarely plies when I compare to one which is used frequently. I cannot put in any more head bang smileys.
Very strange. I got delivery of my car on 28th August, that is three days before the new RT regime came into place and paid 5-year RT as per the old calculations. Means I'll be losing out when I'll be going for renewal of RT after the 5-year period is over. I'll have to pay a similar sum again for 5-year renewal or around double for one-time tax, right? If I go for one-time tax, that would mean, I've lost the first term's 5 year RT amount for just 3 days for no fault of mine. I didn't ask them to change the rules.
This is ridiculous.