Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Old 17th September 2012, 10:29   #1
Distinguished - BHPian

Lightbulb Indian Manufacturers - Warranty on repairs & replaced parts

To cut a long story short, I am currently in discussions with Apra Auto, one of Maruti's stellar service centers regarding replacement of turbocharger (which was replaced by them about six max seven months back as a paid service). It has failed within 10,000km and is currently spewing oil. (the SwiftD has done short of 90k)

I want to understand other manufacturers' practice in this regard:
Nissan / Renault and even Tata provide a 1 year warranty on repairs.

As someone who isn't averse to expensive preventive maintenance (this bill is coming to 50k courtesy the gearbox and clutch packing up), I am feeling fed up that Maruti does not have a clear policy on warranty on repairs at authorized service centers. This is not a wear and tear part like a clutch which can be abused. I am an energetic driver but my car stays well within 100 kph and 2500 rpm. I don't even know what to do to prevent it from failing.

If I am unable to gain any comfort on the quality of the turbocharger work at their top-of-the-line A.S.S despite personal relationships, I'll sell my Swift and NEVER buy a Maruti again. esp when competent options like the Nissan are available at a competitive price.

Here are the links:
http://www.nissan.in/en/web/header/header_12403.htm
http://renault.co.in/aftersales/WarrantyforRepair.html

Thanks for any advice - but please keep it clean and no Maruti bashing for the heck of it.

EDIT as Requested:

Tata, Skoda, Ford offer Warranty on repairs & components
Maruti does not.
I think Toyota does not offer this warranty either.

Last edited by GTO : 19th September 2012 at 10:53. Reason: As requested
phamilyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th September 2012, 11:04   #2
Team-BHP Support

Default re: Indian Manufacturers - Warranty on repairs & replaced parts

I find it quite strange that is no parts warranty on replaced parts. Most manufacturers give that. I suggest you write to maruti customer care, and get a clear cut answer for the question.
Are the parts replaced by a A.S.S. covered under any warranty?
tsk1979 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17th September 2012, 11:25   #3
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Default Re: Indian Manufacturers - Warranty on repairs & replaced parts

Phamilyman,

Sorry to hear about the repeat failure. Maruti is very customer-savvy and will agree that the replacement turbo-charger was defective. I'm wondering whether they fitted a new unit or a refurbished one at the time of last repair?

If you haven't already, talk to Maruti's customer care directly. Dealers will always try to minimise warranty repairs as much as they can.
GTO is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17th September 2012, 14:08   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Maruti is very customer-savvy and will agree that the replacement turbo-charger was defective. I'm wondering whether they fitted a new unit or a refurbished one at the time of last repair?

If you haven't already, talk to Maruti's customer care directly. Dealers will always try to minimise warranty repairs as much as they can.
They indeed had a new one ready to be put in - I must confess I got distracted by the movie in the customer lounge, so I hope they did as they said they would

I called Maruti's customer care at 1800 1800 180. I have been asked to contact the Delhi regional office - apparently they are the knowledgeable people on "warranty on repairs". The irony is that the idiot over at the helpline gave the wrong number. Even the right number is not picked up, nor does any operator ultimately provide any assistance.

EDIT: Do you have any email IDs i can contact for escalation? i've already emailed contact@maruti.co.in
Old 17th September 2012, 14:28   #5
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

Skoda gives 2 Year Warranty on Replacement parts.

TATA gives 1 year warranty on Replacement parts and if that happens to be a warranty replacement in the first place in the tenure of initial or Extended warranty then till the extended warranty replapses.

A Turbo can be blown in 10 K kms of driving if one regularly does stuff like switching off the engine right after a stint of aggressive high RPM driving. But then on the other hand Turbo comes into action at higher RPMs so one can't be faulted for that.

I suspect a defective part or even more likely a defective installation.

Maruti should be able to help you out in this. - When you are able to reach out to them. Going through Dealer may not help much as you have already discovered.
ACM is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17th September 2012, 14:43   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
Do you have any email IDs i can contact for escalation? i've already emailed contact@maruti.co.in
I always received replies from this id. However, I believe they take about a day to forward the mail to relevant department. As per my experience, you will receive a mail soon.
sourabhzen is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18th September 2012, 00:07   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
EDIT: Do you have any email IDs i can contact for escalation? i've already emailed contact@maruti.co.in
You can also use this Service Feedback link, they do respond.
http://www.marutisuzuki.com/contact.aspx?SType=Service
arun_josie is online now   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18th September 2012, 10:55   #8
BHPian

Well this sucks, turbo failing in 6 months. I dont have any experience with Maruti, but with Ford typically they offer 6-12 months warranty on A.S.S repairs depending on what part. I have had case with my Ikon where parts like AC heater valve failed after 14 months of replacement when the actual warranty was 12 months. Since its a known component to fail on Ikons I directly filed a complain with Ford India and they agreed to honor the warranty despite being more than 12 months.

So I would hope in your case if you manage to find the right customer service contact the Turbo should be replaced free of charge considering it was replaced recently.
supertinu is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18th September 2012, 10:58   #9
Distinguished - BHPian

Thanks to everyone. Maruti has not responded to the email, and all the dealer has done is waive off a significant portion of the labor charges over and above the turbocharger work - which I accepted since I'd been without a car for 3 days and I didn't want to be a harishv. Since there is no component warranty provided by maruti even on SGP, I have resigned to my loss. I will note the car's performance closely over the next 1-2 months and maybe replace the car around Diwali if I have the slightest doubt on the reliability. As and when I do, MY NEXT CAR WILL NOT BE A MARUTI.

Quote:
Originally Posted by supertinu View Post
Well this sucks, turbo failing in 6 months. I dont have any experience with Maruti, but with Ford typically they offer 6-12 months warranty on A.S.S repairs depending on what part. I have had case with my Ikon where parts like AC heater valve failed after 14 months of replacement when the actual warranty was 12 months. Since its a known component to fail on Ikons I directly filed a complain with Ford India and they agreed to honor the warranty despite being more than 12 months.

So I would hope in your case if you manage to find the right customer service contact the Turbo should be replaced free of charge considering it was replaced recently.
Woah. Maruti clearly has neither confidence in their SGP, nor the intention to serve the customer.

It is time the customers voted with their hard earned money against such policies, esp when we have equally bulletproof alternatives in Nissan and hopefully Renault/Ford.

I think Toyota does not offer this warranty either - can someone confirm that?

EDIT: Thanks SG saab, so clearly MSIL is standing in a league of its own by offering a warranty on repairs that is far worse than its competition. Kudos to MSIL!

Last edited by phamilyman : 18th September 2012 at 11:11.
Old 18th September 2012, 11:05   #10
Distinguished - BHPian

Hyundai gives three months! Must be the lowest in business. That to only if they replace the thing.
sgiitk is online now   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18th September 2012, 15:59   #11
Senior - BHPian

M&M and Fiat give 6 months warranty respectively on the spare part. However I had adefcetive fan replaced from FIAT after 8 months of installation. M&M is known to honour warranty as goodwill way beyond warranty period. All you need to do is write a mail and you are bound to receive immediate response.
MileCruncher is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19th September 2012, 11:36   #12
Senior - BHPian

Saar,
Patience is the key;maruti will sort this out. Keep us posted about the progress with Maruti helpline.

What was the root cause given by the dealer for the turbo failure ?
F150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th September 2012, 11:57   #13
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arun_josie View Post
You can also use this Service Feedback link, they do respond.
http://www.marutisuzuki.com/contact.aspx?SType=Service
Quote:
Originally Posted by sourabhzen View Post
I always received replies from this id. However, I believe they take about a day to forward the mail to relevant department. As per my experience, you will receive a mail soon.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by F150 View Post
Saar,
Patience is the key;maruti will sort this out. Keep us posted about the progress with Maruti helpline.

What was the root cause given by the dealer for the turbo failure ?
Maruti has done NOTHING. Their silence is deafening.

They have indeed confirmed through their fumbling stoic silence that Maruti does NOT give warranty on components or repairs. Sometimes silence is all you get.

I am now understanding that they have made it into a dealership issue, and are trying to blame the dealership over the complaint. Why else would an Apra executive come running to me on the end of the day to get a "Satisfaction Form" filled up? Why would a dealer that services 200+ cars on a weekend day bother to send a person over with such a form on an urgent basis? Mind you i've done most of my services there, so I know that this is NOT the Apra standard process. Clearly MSIL is playing a blame game in the background without having the common decency to answer my query / complaint straight up. I am SO disappointed, Maruti.
Old 19th September 2012, 12:51   #14
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
...they have made it into a dealership issue, and are trying to blame the dealership over the complaint. Why else would an Apra executive come running to me on the end of the day...
Did the GM (Service) at Apra help in any manner, when you spoke to him? Or did you not manage to speak to him at all?
SS-Traveller is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19th September 2012, 13:02   #15
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS-Traveller View Post
Did the GM (Service) at Apra help in any manner, when you spoke to him? Or did you not manage to speak to him at all?
I had interacted with the CGM (?) Kesavan himself who was fairly generous with the discounts and waivers. Was little point escalating further to the director for another couple of hundred rupees since it was abundantly clear that it is NOT Maruti policy to provide warranty on components, and that the dealership was helpless in this matter.