Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread

Old 3rd October 2012, 23:14   #16
Senior - BHPian

saw some YouTube videos of the rexton, it seems to be trying to do too many things.luxury, performance, off roading among others.
Seems like the poor cousin of the fortuner.
Price needs to be well South of 18 Lacs to do some damage. But with the xuv coming so close then,i doubt mahindra will do that
Old 3rd October 2012, 23:51   #17
BHPian

Default re: Mahindra to introduce Rexton on 17th October 2012.EDIT Launched at Rs. 17.67 lakhs

Its a winner like the XUV if Mahindra launches it under their badge under 20 Lakhs. Yes it could even be an introductory offer price. Below 20 Lakhs it is going to aim at the Fortuner crowd.
Old 4th October 2012, 00:07   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SedatedDrive
Its a winner like the XUV if Mahindra launches it under their badge under 20 Lakhs. Yes it could even be an introductory offer price. Below 20 Lakhs it is going to aim at the Fortuner crowd.
It might not be successful because according to reports its going to be a 5 seater plus I don't people will spend 20 lakhs on a Mahindra badged car though I could be proved wrong if Mahindra manages to fill it with a lot goodies and a good engine.

By the way guys, will Mahindra sell it separately if they get the Ssanyong brand name? Do you think people would be able to trust a complete no brand in market plus I think it might have service issues.
Old 4th October 2012, 00:09   #19
BHPian

Default re: Mahindra to introduce Rexton on 17th October 2012.EDIT Launched at Rs. 17.67 lakhs

I think anything over 20 lakhs would be extremely over priced for brand that, lets face it, apart from being unknown with the less informed crowd Ssangyong is considered a poor brand to be seen in with the informed crowd, also how is the Rexton going to be in tangible quality i.e. plastics refinement vis a vis competition like the Fortuner, X-Trail, etc.? In most other markets it uses aggressive pricing as its USP when compared with direct competition, Mahindra can't do that here, else it faces the possibility of XUV sales being cannibalized.
Old 4th October 2012, 01:52   #20
BHPian

AFAIK, its the facelifted Rexton W which comes to India.

Can the T-Fort trump the Rexton W on this bit in bold?

Quote:
Powered by the e-XDi200 Active Turbo Diesel engine, the motor displaces 1,998cc and comes in an inline four cylinder layout. The engine features a variable geometry turbocharger and a common rail direct injection system to pump out a peak power of 154 Bhp while peak torque is rated at 360 Nm. Crucially, this torque is available all the way from a low 1,500 rpm, in a wide rev band of up to 2,800 rpm. Also, right from idle, i.e. 1000 rpm, the engine delivers 190 Nm of torque, which is one of its biggest selling points as driveability will be terrific with that kind of low end torque.

Last edited by antz.bin : 4th October 2012 at 01:54.
Old 4th October 2012, 03:47   #21
BHPian

I hope that they launch the version as shown by antz.bin. If they launch the previous gen with it's goofy headlamps it is going to get hammered. In the 20L segment it's hit or miss, the rivals just can't compare their volumes to the Fortuner.
I am pretty sure that they will launch this as an independent brand, something like Toyota and Lexus, but if they start sharing the Showrooms and Service Centres, God help them.
Does anyone know if this will have a proper 4wd option with a low range gearbox, preferably stick shift?
Old 4th October 2012, 11:25   #22
BHPian

I for one really welcome this move, The car looks good on the exterior and knowing Mahindra it will be jam packed with features, weather we need those features or if the features work the way they were intended to is another thing.

Now Mahindra needs to really price the heck out of this car, make it so competitive that all the other manufacturers in this space get some well needed perspective. God bless competition.

I really do not feel that there will be any overlap of sales between the XUV and the Rexton, both will operate at different price points and target their respective segments, as long as all roads lead to Mahindra, well that's what Mahindra would want really.

I also feel that they should not market the Rexton under the Mahindra banner, they should push SSangyong and make a brand out of it.

If pricing and features tick the boxes then this car will be a huge success, just looking at the advert in yesterday's TOI and GTO's analysis for September sales tells me that even though the XUV has pages full of niggles and other issues as long as there is promise in the product and the company actively supports those problems, even lemons can sell as apples.

Cheers
P.S. - I don't feel sorry for TATA, all the time in the world, access to the best Tech. in the world and this is what they release. Shame on you Tata.
Old 4th October 2012, 11:49   #23
BHPian

Here's a link to the ACI article confirming the Rexton W launch on 17th Oct.

http://www.autocarindia.com/News/317...on-oct-17.aspx

Looks decent!
Old 4th October 2012, 14:11   #24
BHPian

Found this first driving impression video on the net

From some angles, this vehicle has a tint of the XUV 500, atleast I felt

Nevertheless, looks much better when compared to the existing/outgoing model!
Old 4th October 2012, 17:50   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
A bit too optimistic? Ssangyong is NOT a known brand in India. Though it is backed up by Mahindra, pitching it directly against these products unless Rexton is quite competitive in all aspects, is suicidal!
I completely agree. Launching under the Ssangyong badge might sink the product. Instead, launching it by Mahindra badge will help the product. Ensuring that quality is a cut above a usual Mahindra will even leverage equity to the stable!
Old 4th October 2012, 20:25   #26
BHPian

Please check out this video as well. Would have to see the beast in flesh to take a call.

Old 4th October 2012, 20:30   #27
BHPian

Why are people feeling sorry for TATA? I think, they are not in the SUV/MUV race anymore! If they were in this race, they could have used their LR strength to ace the market.
troublemaker is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th October 2012, 20:48   #28
BHPian

Default Re: Mahindra to introduce Rexton Oct 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by AVR View Post
Unfortunately it doesn't matter whether the badge is Mahindra or Ssangyong because it always ends up looking like a Merc ripoff

I'd wonder why people would want to buy this vehicle for > 20 lakhs but then I am reminded of the success of the Lexus brand which was fairly inspired by Mercs again!
Well.. It does matter which badge it wears. Ssangyong is an unknown brand in India. I am not sure there will be too many people who will want to shell out 20 large ones for an unknown brand. On the other hand, the sales team may have a relatively easier job to sell the Rexton if it wears a Mahindra badge. But again (and I say this with all due respect to Mahindra and Mahindra cars), a Mahindra at 20 lacs+? Sounds uphill.

OTOH - What Toyota did with the Lexus brand is stuff that dreams are made off. Pure Genius!!

Last edited by iceman7 : 4th October 2012 at 20:50.
Old 4th October 2012, 22:04   #29
SDP
Team-BHP Support

I am unable to understand what is the USP of this vehicle, if it is priced in the 20+L bracket?

What would a typical sales adviser (who was most likely selling Scorpios and XUVs till now) say to a prospective customers?
Old 4th October 2012, 22:36   #30
BHPian

There are too many ifs and buts in my head at the moment.

On road Mumbai the Fortuner 4wd is about 28L. If this comes for 22L or so it could find quite a few takers. Too close to the Fortuner and the results can only be disastrous.
Just comparing the Innova and Xylo sales figures shows that pricing alone does not guarantee higher sales.

That said we still have to see and feel the Vehicle in flesh before coming to a decision.

If Skoda can enjoy a premium reputation in the Indian Market, Ssangyong, if marketed well by Mahindra should be able to pull it off. Assuming quality levels are comparable.

Last edited by Off Roadie : 4th October 2012 at 22:44.
Off Roadie is offline   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread