Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Old 11th October 2012, 13:02   #16
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Toyota to recall 8,700 cars in India over faulty window switch

Global count for this recall seems to be 7.43 million!

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/n...ow-defect.html

Quote:
Toyota said a fault meant the electric window switch in the driver’s door in some models may begin to stick or become inoperable. If customers tried to fix it with commercially available lubricants, it could melt the switch assembly.
more than the switch not being operational, this could lead to risk of short circuits and fire once the switch assmebly melts.
zenren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th October 2012, 13:57   #17
Distinguished - BHPian

@ganeshtvpm; Could be just a statistical analysis of the failure data.
sgiitk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th October 2012, 19:04   #18
Senior - BHPian

I have an Oct 2008 Altis, though I never got any problem with window switches I have big time problem with switches in Grand Vitara and also seen many problem in switches in Swift. Hope other companies also learn from Toyota.
Ym-enjn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th October 2012, 21:01   #19
Distinguished - BHPian

Toyota had first warnings of trouble in US 4 years before the recall!

Quote:
According to Toyota documents filed this week with the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, the first field report indicating a problem was received by Toyota in September 2008. It cited an unusual smell coming from the power-window switch as well as heat damage.

The part was returned to the supplier for examination, but no root cause could be determined, Toyota said in an Oct. 10 filing with NHTSA.
Cheers!

http://www.autonews.com/article/2012...#ixzz290MUKYGa
volkman10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th October 2012, 10:12   #20
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by bansal98 View Post
I thought the word "recall" was usually reserved for serious risks like vehicle catching fire, failing brakes etc.
Not really. A recall can be announced for any defective component. Some examples:

Maruti : Connecting Rod Bolt
Honda City : Valve Train (spring)
Tata Manza : Anti-roll bar bush
Fiat : Timing Chain issue

Personally, I welcome recalls and give due credit to the manufacturer for owning up to a mistake, and reaching out to the customer. Any car - even the best of the Japanese - have issues from time to time. Would you rather that your manufacturer replaces a defective part? Or keeps silent and lets you drive around with a problem?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ganeshtvpm View Post
Corolla Altis (manufactured 30th July 2008 – 31st Dec 2008) and Camry (manufactured 1st Sep 2006 – 31st Jul 2008 recalled for faulty window switch replacement. My question is how did they came to know about this defect one fine day
Manufacturers are continually monitoring repairs conducted at the dealer level. Example : If 200 Camry owners complaint about a leaking hose pipe to their dealer, it's obvious that there is an issue with the pipe.
GTO is offline   (4) Thanks Reply With Quote