Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Old 14th October 2012, 16:11   #1
BHPian

Default Carjinn.com - Accident Cars for Sale in India

@Mods: Kindly place this post/thread as appropriate. Starting a new thread as could not find a discussion on the subject.

I am posting a link to a website that I stumbled across today searching for used cars.

Their USP is a listing of vehicles involved in accidents across India and for sale in the damaged/un-repaired state.

I am not affiliated to this website in any manner and am just posting this as I have not come across any major refurbishing of accident vehicles, excepting the example of a Mercedes C class ( if I am not mistaken) and also a Nissan X-Trail by the same member.

It would be interesting to see whether any member of the group finds such a route to acquiring a vehicle worth the bother.

The link to the website is posted here.
RS_DEL is offline   (8) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14th October 2012, 19:33   #2
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Carjinn.com - Accident Cars for Sale in India

Just went through the website,never knew that such deals existed online.
Checked out a few cars,and found that most of the repair estimates are incorrect,for exp a Q7 is listed for 16L,with a repair bill of 8L,and a A8 for 26L with a repair bill of 12L,the kind of damages they have,in no way they can be fixed for the amount mentioned,unless they just want them to be in running condition.

Another thing i noticed,a few fortuners with extensive damage,where airbags didnt deploy.
akshay4587 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th October 2012, 19:52   #3
BHPian

http://www.carjinn.com/RefurbishedCarOne.aspx?id=255

I was checking out a few Dusters. All of them have damages on the right. Looks like they all toppled to the right and most of them have exactly the same damages. Strange ! It is making me think.
DieselAddikt is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14th October 2012, 19:58   #4
Team-BHP Support

I know one of the cars listed here on Carjinn.com's front page, they are making atleast 3 lakh rupees profit with in a day of purchase from service center. The Actual repair estimate is 30 lakhs, not 3 lakhs as listed there.

Will get back with proof and more detailed report soon..
.anshuman is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14th October 2012, 20:05   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselAddikt View Post
http://www.carjinn.com/RefurbishedCarOne.aspx?id=255

I was checking out a few Dusters. All of them have damages on the right. Looks like they all toppled to the right and most of them have exactly the same damages. Strange ! It is making me think.
They got damaged during transit,i am pretty sure.
since the damage is external,for someone who is going to use the vehicle for not more than 2-3 years,these make a lot of sense.

Last edited by akshay4587 : 14th October 2012 at 20:07.
akshay4587 is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14th October 2012, 20:29   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by .anshuman View Post
I know one of the cars listed here on Carjinn.com's front page, they are making atleast 3 lakh rupees profit with in a day of purchase from service center. The Actual repair estimate is 30 lakhs, not 3 lakhs as listed there.

Will get back with proof and more detailed report soon..
Can we understand from your post that they are grossly under-estimating repair estimates and their asking prices are so high that they can be said to be nonsensical?
RS_DEL is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14th October 2012, 21:21   #7
BHPian

Never knew such website existed for damaged cars! The Dusters present there all have right side damages:shocked. Is the car having an issue taking sharp turns? Any duster owner could confirm this? Have they felt the car behaving funny on taking sharp curves? Please comment.

Wonder who buys these cars and gets them repaired taking such a huge risk. There was a used Audi Q7 in chennai with a dealer which had clocked about 35000kms. The windscreen was replaced and I think so was the bonnet. The dealer claimed that a portion of a wall had fallen on the glass and bonnet and so it was replaced. I quietly went away hearing this. Till today no one has bought that car. They were quoting about 40L for it.

Really scary getting used cars unless and until we know the owner personally.
zwift1819 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th October 2012, 22:41   #8
BHPian

This is pretty unreal.

Firstly, lets assume that whatever cars they have listed, are bought from dealerships or workshops. This means that these have probably been declared as total loss by the insurance guys. So how is it financially/practically justified to repair these for regular use again?

Secondly, as an appropriate example, take a look at this car here: Alto K10

Auction starts at 1.5L odd. This car retails for 3.2L to 3.4L.

Who in their right minds would purchase this car at 50% of the original price, in this condition (without doubt this has been declared total loss) and then try to repair it?

Update: I think it will only be worthwhile if a car with minimal damage can be found for a fair price. That will probably make sense since it won't cost a bomb to repair it. But then again, if the damage is minimal, why would the car end up on this website? Rare chances, only possibility may be where there is some bad omen that people may associate with the car (eg. someone might have died in the accident) and shy away from owning it. This is India!!

Last edited by swarnava.m : 14th October 2012 at 22:42.
swarnava.m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th October 2012, 22:51   #9
BHPian

Wow. I had heard from a friend who is from Chennai that Ford auctions vehicles with minor damages but never knew there is a website which exists that runs auctions on damaged vehicles. Price will be much less if anyone can go for the auctions run by manufacturers. Thanks for the link though.
sabret00the is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th October 2012, 22:57   #10
BHPian

This site is owned by three of my friends. I never actually understood the business model but have seen them doing the business alright. Have driven some of the cars repaired by them and found them alright.
sinhsha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th October 2012, 23:12   #11
Senior - BHPian

There are hell a lot of inconsistencies in the website.

More than half the inventory listed in the *Accident Cars* category already have the sold stamp on it.

A cursory look at the pics suggests that the cars would have been lying in the yard for more than ~ 6 to 8 months.

Don't understand why the minimum reserve price for many >15L vehicles has been fixed at a ridiculously low level of Rs. 1000/-

Last edited by Warwithwheels : 14th October 2012 at 23:13.
Warwithwheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th October 2012, 23:29   #12
Senior - BHPian

The Dusters were probably involved in a accident while being transported on a vehicle carrier. Looks like the transporter overturned and fell onto its right side resulting in the Dusters being dragged along the ground. Must have been the open type of transporter.
itwasntme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th October 2012, 23:46   #13
BHPian

The prices seem way too high for damaged vehicles, hopefully no one falls for this kind of deal without doing proper research on repair costs and the post repair worthiness on the vehicles.

The Dusters seem to be curious, all the vehicles have zero km and damages on one side which would suggest transit damage. Giving the waiting lists a bit sad to see so many go to waste.
raul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th October 2012, 00:42   #14
BHPian

This site, unless I am contradicted by someone better informed than me, seems like a sucker trap.

Case in point the BMW X1 listed on front page. The vehicle's crumple zone seems to have absorbed the impact, airbags have have been triggered. The damage is very substantial to put it mildly.

The estimated repair cost is 3.00 Lacs. I do not know what kind of repair costs are prevalent in the luxury segment, but I am sure it can not be so economical that 3.00 Lacs are enough to bring this vehicle into a road worthy state.

If I look at prices of similar non-accidental vehicles , the prices on Carwale are in the 20-22L region. Why on earth would anyone in his right mind buy an accidental vehicle unless and until he gets a saving of atleast a quarter to a third of the selling price of a non-accidental vehicle, for all the risk and back breaking involved in bringing this vehicle into a road worthy state?

If these people are genuine they need to get an appraisal of the vehicle done and provide repair estimates by company authorised service centres. It is only after that an intending buyer can take a call whether he can get it done outside the company A.S.S. network at a price which is cheaper and at quality level which will make the vehicle completely road worthy. Obviously if they do so, they will have to substantially mark down their asking prices to make the deals worthwhile for the intending buyers and I doubt very much if they would like that prospect.
RS_DEL is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 15th October 2012, 01:11   #15
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by RS_DEL View Post
Case in point the BMW X1 listed on front page. The vehicle's crumple zone seems to have absorbed the impact, airbags have have been triggered. The damage is very substantial to put it mildly.

The estimated repair cost is 3.00 Lacs. I do not know what kind of repair costs are prevalent in the luxury segment, but I am sure it can not be so economical that 3.00 Lacs are enough to bring this vehicle into a road worthy state.
This is the car i was talking about in post#4, this is a close friend's car, declared total loss, BMW estimate for repair ~30 lakhs
.anshuman is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote