Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene


Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 14th October 2012, 22:11   #1
BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Pune
Posts: 569
Thanked: 754 Times
Default ARAI Car Spotting

Hello everybody.!

As I am now going to make it a regular habit to go walking on ARAI hill every Sunday I thought of starting a thread where I report all the vehicles I spot inside the main gates.

Today 14th. October 2012 I spotted the following:--

1. 2 Audi Q3.
The vehicles were without any model or variant identifications & from far they were looking like Q5s. (Point also observed in our forum's official review.) Went to have a closer look from just outside the gate & later on came & crosschecked the rear tail light design from photos on the review.
My reading is that Audi have started CKD assembly & are getting the same type approved. Possibly some price cuts for the vehicles will now come through?

2. 6 Maruti Swifts
Puzzles me a lot as this is a newly launched model & so where is the need for any new type approvals? Or are there some fuel type upgrades (CNG/LPG) planned?
sridhar-v is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 14th October 2012, 22:27   #2
Team-BHP Support
 
.anshuman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Good-Gaon
Posts: 7,714
Thanked: 9,025 Times
Default Re: Arai Car Spotting

Quote:
Originally Posted by sridhar-v View Post

1. 2 Audi Q3.
The vehicles were without any model or variant identifications & from far they were looking like Q5s. (Point also observed in our forum's official review.) Went to have a closer look from just outside the gate & later on came & crosschecked the rear tail light design from photos on the review.
My reading is that Audi have started CKD assembly & are getting the same type approved. Possibly some price cuts for the vehicles will now come through?
2 new engines are expected in Audi Q3, it can be those 2 engines undergoing testing.

-2.0 TFSI, Quattro.
-2.0 TDI, 140hp state of tune for Fwd variant.
.anshuman is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 14th October 2012, 23:43   #3
Distinguished - BHPian
 
CrAzY dRiVeR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Bangalore / TVM
Posts: 8,974
Thanked: 16,772 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sridhar-v
2. 6 Maruti Swifts
Puzzles me a lot as this is a newly launched model & so where is the need for any new type approvals? Or are there some fuel type upgrades (CNG/LPG) planned?
Wild guess- An automatic to counter Brio automatic? Afterall, DZire already has an automatic, so it wouldn't take anything extra from them to launch one in Swift too.

But- Maruti has 6 variants in Swift. 6 cars in ARAI. Hmmm... May be a technical modification across the range. I hope its about the weak brakes in that case. CNG is unlikely on Swift since it already has good sales numbers. They may give it to Ritz only.

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 14th October 2012 at 23:45.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th October 2012, 07:07   #4
Senior - BHPian
 
xingamazon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Chennai
Posts: 1,399
Thanked: 110 Times
Infractions: 0/1 (5)
Default Re: Arai Car Spotting

One wild guess, ARAI visit might not always translate to new model launch. It can also be some technical changes, especially cost saving ones which might require homologation.
But anyway will keep a tab on the thread to see whats coming new good job.
xingamazon is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th October 2012, 10:24   #5
Senior - BHPian
 
rajshenoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: bangalore
Posts: 1,849
Thanked: 625 Times
Infractions: 0/2 (10)
Default Re: Arai Car Spotting

Good initiative Besides keeping you fit, this will help our GK updated as well.

I am keen on hearing about Honda Brio based sedan ( ACI scoop reported the sedan is coming very soon and coming with diesel heart)
rajshenoy is online now  
Old 15th October 2012, 10:32   #6
Senior - BHPian
 
CARDEEP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: NCR
Posts: 2,699
Thanked: 1,485 Times
Default Re: Arai Car Spotting

Quote:
Originally Posted by sridhar-v View Post
2. 6 Maruti Swifts
Puzzles me a lot as this is a newly launched model & so where is the need for any new type approvals? Or are there some fuel type upgrades (CNG/LPG) planned?
IMO these could very well be the CNG/LPG + Auto variants of Swift. In cities where CNG/ LPG is available, it can easily mean few more sales, & the auto variant could be a means of not conceding sales to Brio Auto. But, the sheer number of variants (6), is baffling, in fact, because they could have brought 3 (2 for CNG/LPG & 1 for Petrol auto)... or are they paying heed to all enthusiasts by launching the Diesel auto .

Still 2 additional variants are puzzling me.
CARDEEP is offline  
Old 15th October 2012, 11:11   #7
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Pune
Posts: 360
Thanked: 115 Times
Default Re: Arai Car Spotting

Quote:
Originally Posted by sridhar-v View Post
As I am now going to make it a regular habit to go walking on ARAI hill every Sunday I thought of starting a thread where I report all the vehicles I spot inside the main gates.
No wild guesses about Swifts, I'm curious to know whether anybody can have access to the ARAI hill or you have some special privileges? I visited the MIT campus and nearby area but never dared to enter ARAI premises.
Thanks for updating us all.
iSpoke is offline  
Old 15th October 2012, 11:23   #8
BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Pune
Posts: 569
Thanked: 754 Times
Default Re: Arai Car Spotting

Quote:
Originally Posted by iSpoke View Post
No wild guesses about Swifts, I'm curious to know whether anybody can have access to the ARAI hill or you have some special privileges? I visited the MIT campus and nearby area but never dared to enter ARAI premises.
Thanks for updating us all.
No special privileges. The ARAI hill is a very popular place for morning & evening walks. So one can go right upto the Main gate of ARAI without any issues. And sunday is the best because the cars are not out on road testing (being a sarkari institute they don't work on holidays.!).
sridhar-v is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th October 2012, 12:25   #9
BHPian
 
DReddy's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 66
Thanked: 87 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CARDEEP

IMO these could very well be the CNG/LPG + Auto variants of Swift. In cities where CNG/ LPG is available, it can easily mean few more sales, & the auto variant could be a means of not conceding sales to Brio Auto. But, the sheer number of variants (6), is baffling, in fact, because they could have brought 3 (2 for CNG/LPG & 1 for Petrol auto)... or are they paying heed to all enthusiasts by launching the Diesel auto .

Still 2 additional variants are puzzling me.
Five or six cars coming at a time is also done for COP(conformity of production) testing, other than type approval. They have stickers on the RH fenders indicating what type of test they are there for. I wish there were some new variants like hybrids hopefully!

I spent an year at ARAI(june 2011- 2012) for my M.tech course there, and watching those beauties was an activity I liked the most during my stint.
DReddy is offline  
Old 15th October 2012, 16:13   #10
BHPian
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Mumbai, MH
Posts: 499
Thanked: 177 Times
Post Re: ARAI Car Spotting

A noble step, in many ways, Sridhar. Almost like BHP's eyes on the street - or let's say, on the holy ground that matters

Health benefits aside, I'm sure your Sunday strolls will present with you a fair store of preemptive/first-hand information about new launches, test cars, variants, engines, fuel economy etc. We will, in turn, have even more intel to debate and deliberate on. Do clock updates as regularly as possible - even if you aren't able to do it weekly. Thumbs up for coming up with this buddy
Omtoatom is offline  
Old 15th October 2012, 17:21   #11
GTO
Team-BHP Support
 
GTO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Bombay
Posts: 47,755
Thanked: 89,446 Times
Default Re: ARAI Car Spotting

Mod Note : Please open an individual thread with PICS for every car spotted testing. Thanks
GTO is offline  
Closed Thread


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
ARAI Bashers - Some clarifications from an ex-ARAI engineer Gansbab Technical Stuff 103 7th January 2013 23:45
German Car Spotting adityabenz Super-Cars & Imports in India 22 20th October 2008 19:02
Delhi Spotting:Which BMW sports car is this? (BMW Z3) DCEite Super-Cars & Imports in India 37 4th April 2006 10:50
Must See : Exotic Car Spotting site : Exoticspotter.com v12 The International Automotive Scene 9 23rd March 2005 03:15


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 18:38.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks