Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Old 19th November 2014, 11:13   #361
BHPian

Default re: Flop cars in our market

What were the numbers for the old Hyundai Tucson and how are the sales for the new Hyundai SantaFe? Numbers maybe good perhaps but I've not seen more than 10 Tucsons in total around Pune and not more than 10 SantaFes since launch. Or for the costly premium SUV segment that is sufficient sightings?
Reinhard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th November 2014, 11:18   #362
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Flop cars of India

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
While Grand Vitara is a flop in new car market, it is one of the hottest cars in used car market. Try buying a used Vitara, and you will know.
I think it was launched ahead of its time! Just like Tuscon, or even Fusion.

It's not easy to find a good example in the used car market as this segment has become all the rage today and people are slowly warming up to the concept of compact SUVs.

Had it been launched recently, with a fair amount of localization, it would have been a hit.
Dry Ice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th November 2014, 14:22   #363
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
While Grand Vitara is a flop in new car market, it is one of the hottest cars in used car market. Try buying a used Vitara, and you will know.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shanksta View Post
Almost all the flop cars mentioned here are only a flop in the new car market, but they rule the used car market. First hand experience last year while hunting for a pre-worshipped Nissan X-trail, MS Grand Vitara and Skoda Laura. All the good ones gone within a day or two of advertising. My uncle had to settle for a 2010 Verna diesel A/T.
If you think about it, it makes sense from a certain viewpoint. A market flop would be available at a price point a couple of segments lower, thus the overall set of people scouting for something at that price point is much higher than when it was in the showroom. Add to it the fact that it sold in fewer number to begin with, so availability is quite limited.

Also, a lot of knowledgeable folks like those on this forum and elsewhere are increasingly heading towards the used car segment for purchase. And since they are better informed, so can take a calculated risk in going for a market dud if the asking price is low enough.
avisidhu is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19th November 2014, 14:42   #364
Senior - BHPian

Funny thing is, if Maruti sells some model in range of 3000-4000 per month then also it is considered to be a flop. But if other company sells those many numbers, it is supposed to be a hit car

For me biggest flop in India is Ashok Leyland Stile. I never seen a single car on the road till date. That also in city like Pune. Frankly speaking Evalia / Stile duo had the huge potential to be successful in the cab segment. It could have been big threat to Innova / Travera / Xylo etc as it has VFM price tag, better FE, proper 7-8 seater design & enough boot space too. But unfortunately they couldn't market it & their poor dealership network killed the product completely.
aniketi is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19th November 2014, 18:39   #365
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aniketi View Post
For me biggest flop in India is Ashok Leyland Stile. I never seen a single car on the road till date. That also in city like Pune. Frankly speaking Evalia / Stile duo had the huge potential to be successful in the cab segment. It could have been big threat to Innova / Travera / Xylo etc as it has VFM price tag, better FE, proper 7-8 seater design & enough boot space too. But unfortunately they couldn't market it & their poor dealership network killed the product completely.
Spot on! Really the Stile is a big flop in MH at least. However, I've seen a couple of AL STILEs near Shivaji Nagar / COEP area. Lucky me .

Additionally in what category will the Tata SUMO GRANDE / MK2 fall? We do see it in some numbers on the road. But for its capability (easily a good competitor to entry variant Scoprio and Innova and specifications AND TML's market reach, I think it still failed big time to make headway in the market share. Eventually getting phased out and replaced by the MOVUS (with insanely small 15" wheels for a vehicle as large as a Safari).

Last edited by Reinhard : 19th November 2014 at 18:45.
Old 19th November 2014, 21:07   #366
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post

Force 1 and Renault Scala, yes. Even i think they are flops too!
Can't say that Renault Scala is a flop car. It sells well in the cities where there are no Nissan dealerships. Same case with the Pulse. If you are talking w.r.t. monthly sales, then I will remain numb :rolleyes:
300 KMPH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th November 2014, 10:55   #367
BHPian

How about the Renault KOLEOS? Apologies if it is already mentioned...
Old 20th November 2014, 15:55   #368
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by searacer932 View Post
I think you should include the following as well.

4. Etios Liva Cross
Actually Etios Liva Cross is not a total flop. about 6000 + vehicles have been sold in last 6 months (May-Oct). So although its not a hit, it can not be called a flop as well. Surely Toyota did not intend to compete against Duster or Ecosport with this one
Prafful_Rathod is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20th November 2014, 21:52   #369
BHPian

Also Premier 138D (118NE Diesel edition)
riteshpawar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th November 2014, 22:12   #370
BHPian

1. The FIAT PALIO may have failed because of a wrong marketing strategy but it is not a BAD car. Try the 1.3 multijet FIAT PALIO. It is better than the swift diesel.

2. The CHEVROLET CRV was a big FLOP. Very expensive. But still you will get spare parts as many Optras ply on Indian roads.

3. Have you heard of the MAHINDRA VOYAGER and MAHINDRA SCORPIO 116 PETROL REV? You can see the Voyager in a Hindi movie-Mission Istanbul.

4. The Peugeot 309 was a gem but the company flopped not the car.

5. The Opel Vectra was too quirky and expensive.

6. The Ford Mondeo is a rare car. Tutu Dhawan CNBC Awaaz car expert has one.

7.Can we count the Tata Indigo Marina, Skoda Fabia (with a bigger rear, I forgot the name-Can anyone tell me?), Grand Vitara, Maruti Kizahsi in this list?
adit mishra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th November 2014, 22:46   #371
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adit mishra View Post
1. The FIAT PALIO may have failed because of a wrong marketing strategy but it is not a BAD car. Try the 1.3 multijet FIAT PALIO. It is better than the swift diesel.

2. The CHEVROLET CRV was a big FLOP. Very expensive. But still you will get spare parts as many Optras ply on Indian roads.

3. Have you heard of the MAHINDRA VOYAGER and MAHINDRA SCORPIO 116 PETROL REV? You can see the Voyager in a Hindi movie-Mission Istanbul.

4. The Peugeot 309 was a gem but the company flopped not the car.

5. The Opel Vectra was too quirky and expensive.

6. The Ford Mondeo is a rare car. Tutu Dhawan CNBC Awaaz car expert has one.

7.Can we count the Tata Indigo Marina, Skoda Fabia (with a bigger rear, I forgot the name-Can anyone tell me?), Grand Vitara, Maruti Kizahsi in this list?
I think you mean Chevy SRV. One stays in my area with a free flow exhaust!

Fabia with a bigger back? Do you mean the Skoda Octavia Combi? Even that used to stay in my area. But it wasnt a standard one, it was the vRS!

Tata Indigo Marina sold very well in fact. It was the only successfully sold station wagon in India! You can call the Fiat Palio Adventure and Maruti Baleno Altura as flop cars.
300 KMPH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th December 2014, 00:30   #372
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 300 KMPH View Post
I think you mean Chevy SRV. One stays in my area with a free flow exhaust!

Fabia with a bigger back? Do you mean the Skoda Octavia Combi? Even that used to stay in my area. But it wasnt a standard one, it was the vRS!

Tata Indigo Marina sold very well in fact. It was the only successfully sold station wagon in India! You can call the Fiat Palio Adventure and Maruti Baleno Altura as flop cars.
Actually the marina was a flop. The only station wagon which sold and that to initially was the Tata Estate. It was then killed by the Siera.
Doge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th December 2014, 09:57   #373
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by riteshpawar View Post
Also Premier 138D (118NE Diesel edition)
138D did very well for itself in the start years.

Infact, it was a pretty sought after model in the 90s.
One of the earlier Padminis with the floor gear and a clock in the dash.
arnabchak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th December 2014, 10:04   #374
BHPian

I have a submission for this thread -

Force/Trax Gurkha

It was a Market Flop in all it's previous launches, and looks almost certain to be a Flop in it's latest launch as well.
True, it has it's fan following (most of whom have never bought or even driven one!), and it is a capable off-roader, but it NEVER WAS and STILL ISN'T a marketable and salable product for the vast majority. That implies it is rightly a Flop.
roy_libran is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 15th September 2015, 02:30   #375

I don't see it being discussed here that much but if there's one car that colossally failed to match expectations then it's the Tata Nano... Surely it counts as a flop given that everyone expected it to trump the Alto when it was first revealed...
Some other cars that come to my mind which haven't been discussed yet.

1) Tata Bolt (early days but I think it's already doomed)
2) Hindustan Avigo (I don't think this stylish Amby ever caught on)
3) Daewoo Nexia (the Cielo was a big hit but this one tanked big time)
4) Premier Rio (then again, how serious is PAL as an automaker anyway)
5) The entire Volvo range (don't think they've really been able to establish themselves as a rival to the German brands)
RitanRex is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote