Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread

Old 13th April 2013, 19:01   #226
Distinguished - BHPian

Default Re: Scoop! VW Polo TSI spotted testing in India *UPDATE* Fresh Scoop pics on Pg.15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Santoshbhat View Post
I think with this TSI - DSG variant, VW is trying to target the growing small hatch AT segment. I feel this is one segment that is growing exponentially. In many cities the traffic is so slow that an AT car makes a lot of sense. In the hatch segment the AT choice is very limited. The 1.2 TSI mated to a 7 DSG has the potential to deliver very good FE compared to the torque converter ATs that the competition is presently offering. Once the market realises that it can get the comfort of an AT car without sacrificing mileage, who knows, this may just start a new trend.
Very true! If this car clicks, it opens up lots of possibility in this segment; something like how the how the Swift became a game-changer a few years back. And nowadays premium hatchbacks are hovering around 8 lakhs+, and public may lap up with something extra in this segment.

When I was in India in January, I went to check out the Laura & Jetta DSG, Fiesta AT etc. Not because I wanted a car of that size, more because I wanted a modern AT with reasonable safety kit (Airbags, ABS, ESP/TCS etc.). We donít really a sedan, and if the Polo DSG comes with the said safety specs, our search may end, that too with a savings of around 5-10 lakhs
Old 13th April 2013, 19:30   #227
BHPian

I personally feel that along with DSG, they should've given the manual option. The former would have to be pricier being a dual clutch auto, a manual option with 6 speed would have definitely driven up the sales nos. because of the smaller engine and better fuel economy than the 1.6. And am sure even non-enthusiasts would notice the difference in driveability between the TSI and the regular petrol. For the same reason VW should consider putting the same TSI into Vento. Am sure sales would be much higher than the current Vento petrol. One should also remember that Vento is one of those which sell more than a 1000 petrol units despite having a better diesel engine.

Anyone knows of Vento TSI on the cards?
Old 13th April 2013, 22:12   #228
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Scoop! VW Polo TSI spotted testing in India *UPDATE* Fresh Scoop pics on Pg.15

Will the dsg gearbox hold up in indian conditions? isnt this similar to the one on the superb that had multiple failures?
Old 13th April 2013, 22:44   #229
BHPian

A few more images of the Polo GT from the Autogadget website. They also claim the price to be 7 L ex-showroom which appears too good to be true.

drpudhi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th April 2013, 23:29   #230
BHPian

The launch of the polo GT TSI as they call it is happening at a starred hotel in Goa, over the 16th & 17th... All Major car magazines have been invited..
Old 14th April 2013, 00:04   #231
BHPian

Did some research on the 1.2 TSI tuning abilities. Max it can be bumped up to is 140bhp (97octane feul) with tune, filter and turbo back exhaust. Blame it on the non intercooled setup and the SOHC head.

But even at just 140hp it can get to 100kmph in 8.5 secs with dsg in sports mode and some good rubber, which is good enough to embaress some expensive sedans out there. Top speed of the stock car is limited to 190kmph. Finally our hot hatch dreams are coming true.

On another note, lets hope they revised the suspension from the original polo/vento setup, which was way too soft. The Fabia seemed to have the more poised/sporty setup than the polo.
Old 14th April 2013, 00:25   #232
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prithwi-81 View Post
Blame it on the non intercooled setup and the SOHC head.

No intercooler??? why?
Can one be added? That will be the simplest and safest upgrade to do...
Old 14th April 2013, 00:37   #233
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravenblood View Post
The launch of the polo GT TSI as they call it is happening at a starred hotel in Goa, over the 16th & 17th... All Major car magazines have been invited..
Goa having the cheapest petrol than the rest of the country seems the best place to launch these cars

I hope VW launches the manual version too, should be much cheaper and will surely please the enthusiasts.
VW should have included paddle shifters in the auto version,would have truly made it a sports version, though i am afraid the cost would be prohibitive!!

I am eagerly waiting to test this and the ecoboost version of the ecosport.
Old 14th April 2013, 00:38   #234
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anandpadhye View Post

No intercooler??? why?
Can one be added? That will be the simplest and safest upgrade to do...
Yup. It can be added. Routing the piping may be an issue, but it can be done. The difference here is that most vag turbo cars have the turbo facing the firewall, while this has the turbo facing the radiator. That may lead to a bit of a challenge rounting to a FMIC, but a nice TMIC will be perfect. Hoodscoop anyone!!!
Old 14th April 2013, 02:19   #235
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SiddVish View Post
Do i see an ESP button on the dash ??
Good to see that climate control finally comes to the polo
I have seen climate control on the polo SR.

Last edited by anarchy_99 : 14th April 2013 at 02:31.
Old 14th April 2013, 02:21   #236
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prithwi-81 View Post
Did some research on the 1.2 TSI tuning abilities. Max it can be bumped up to is 140bhp (97octane feul) with tune, filter and turbo back exhaust. Blame it on the non intercooled setup and the SOHC head.

But even at just 140hp it can get to 100kmph in 8.5 secs with dsg in sports mode and some good rubber, which is good enough to embaress some expensive sedans out there. Top speed of the stock car is limited to 190kmph. Finally our hot hatch dreams are coming true.

On another note, lets hope they revised the suspension from the original polo/vento setup, which was way too soft. The Fabia seemed to have the more poised/sporty setup than the polo.
This is a video i found about the 1.2 TSI engine.

In this at 4:30, they say that it has a water operated charge air cooler present at the inlet manifold. Doesn't this do the function of an intercooler in this engine to cool the intake air ?

Last edited by drpudhi : 14th April 2013 at 02:36.
drpudhi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th April 2013, 10:06   #237
BANNED

I would like to see if Polo GT TSI could break the sales record of Fiat Palio 1.6 or Polo 1.6.

People do get excited about hot hatches, but does this excitment converts into actual purchase by these petrol heads?

7 Big ones is too steep a price for a hatch, remember the honda Jazz!
Parm is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th April 2013, 10:22   #238
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parm View Post
People do get excited about hot hatches, but does this excitment converts into actual purchase by these petrol heads?
I agree with you. Most of the time people just talk about lack of certain powerful engine just to bad mouth the ongoing so called underpowered engines (which may also be adequate) and when company really comes with that most anticipated and talked engine, that too with more than expected combo like AT DSG, people start talking negative about even that combo like speculations on unreliability and demand for more like auto folding mirrors and other fancy gadgets etc.

And about the tuning possibilities, people were searching for tuning abilities in existing engines because they felt the power delivery of existing engines is not sufficient for them. Now when there will be option of choosing that expected power from the stock car itself, there are talks about modding possibilities in that engine as well.

There is no limit for wishes.

Last edited by tbppjpr : 14th April 2013 at 10:40.
tbppjpr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th April 2013, 15:29   #239
Senior - BHPian

Wow! Now we all talk about Polo 1.2 TSI GT. 110 odd BHP can take the hatch to 100 by 9.5 seconds.
True hot hatch in that sense is yet to launch Fiat Punto T-Jet Abarth. With 165 to 185 odd BHP it can hit the ton by 7.6 seconds. Even not satisfied wait a little bit to the last part of 2013 for the ultimate hot hatch - Mercedes 2014 A45 AMG, 0 - 100 in 4.6 seconds. It may be four times costly than GT but an enthusiast in us can really be satisfied.

Cheers!

Last edited by myavu : 14th April 2013 at 15:30.
Old 14th April 2013, 22:07   #240
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by speed kills View Post
Team BHP Exclusive::

Here are the first set of pics of the 1.2 TSI with the 7 Speed DSG

Attachment 1072818
Interesting stereo layout, doesn't match the typical RCD 510 or RNS 510
But the screen seems big enough for Navigation(optimism), although the Navigation button is missing.

Card reader and Aux are welcome change from RCD310, I'm sure the USB will be tucked inside the glove box as usual.

I hope the phone buttons are not redundantly useless as in current models. Again high hopes.

Last edited by envy : 14th April 2013 at 22:10.
Closed Thread