Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread

Old 17th October 2012, 16:19   #16
BHPian

Default re: Scoop! VW Polo TSI spotted testing in India *UPDATE* Fresh Scoop pics on Pg.15

Upgradation of Indian Polo to this engine is more of a necessity since the MPI engines are soon to be discontinued from VW European (except Russia) line-up, from where VW imports engines for India. VW is rationalising its engine line-up towards 1.2 and 1.4 TSI petrols and 1.6 and 2.0 TDi as diesels and offering only these engines on all MQB based VW cars (Polo to Passat including Tiguan).

The discontinuation has begun (1.6 MPI in Polo) and will get accelerated with end of production of Mk 6 Golf by December 2012.

Last edited by .anshuman : 18th October 2012 at 01:16. Reason: Typo fixed on request. Thanks
sarthakgupta is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th October 2012, 17:15   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarthakgupta
Upgradation of Indian Polo to this engine is more of a necessity since the MPI engines are soon to be discontinued from VW European (except Russia) line-up, from where VW imports engines for India. Vw is rationalising its engine line-up towards 1.2 and 1.4 TSI petrols and 1.6 and 2.0 TDi as diesels and offering only these engines on all MQB based VW cars (Polo to Passat including Tiguan).

The discontinuation has begun (1.6 MPI in Polo) and will get accelerated with end of production of Mk 6 Golf by December 2012.
True but I think VW India has enough MPI Polos in the stockyards until the 2014 when the next gen Polo is expected.
I think VW will choose to discontinue the petrol variant altogether rather than investing in a new engine at this point of the Polo's lifecycle.

As somebody else mentioned,its most likely that they are just testing the engine for the next gen Polo.
KINI is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 17th October 2012, 17:19   #18
Distinguished - BHPian

Default re: Scoop! VW Polo TSI spotted testing in India *UPDATE* Fresh Scoop pics on Pg.15

Quote:
Originally Posted by KINI View Post
True but I think VW India has enough MPI Polos in the stockyards until the 2014 when the next gen Polo is expected.
Also do not forget that this is the same engine used in the Vento's (Petrol). Inventory of the Vento's too needto be considered.
So 2014 could be a more realistic date for the upgrades of engines to TSI or Polo 1.4/1.5 TDI.

Cheers!

Last edited by volkman10 : 17th October 2012 at 17:25.
Old 17th October 2012, 17:19   #19
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarthakgupta View Post
Upgradation of Indian Polo to this engine is more of a necessity since the MPI engines are soon to be discontinued from VW European (except Russia) line-up, from where VW imports engines for India.
Indeed. This 1.2 TSI is the global replacement for the old 1.6 petrol. In most of the markets, this is the default engine for the Polo (and even entry level Golf/Jetta). But again, being a petrol I donít expect this to set the sales chart on fire.
Old 17th October 2012, 18:49   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KINI View Post
I think VW will choose to discontinue the petrol variant altogether rather than investing in a new engine at this point of the Polo's lifecycle.
I do not believe there would be any major investment of time or money for VW India to bring the 1.2 TSI here. The combination of this engine with the Polo is so well proven all over the world. At most, VW may have do do some fuel quality compatibility testing and homologation. Since VW would have gone through the same steps prior to the recent 1.4 TSI introduction in the Jetta, VW probably knows this process well.

VW needs some quick, big moves to increase its presence and share in India. Although they have given us the latest and greatest models worldwide here in India, they have fallen short when it comes to power trains. For instance the Polo Mark V was introduced in India before it even hit Europe. If VW can bring the 1.2 TSI on the Polo and 1.4 TSI on the Vento, they can revive the Petrol sales a bit. In addition, if they gave us the 1.6 TDI engine from the Vento on the Polo, wow, that would be sweet!
Old 18th October 2012, 12:58   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitg79 View Post

Btw, in the spy pic, is that 'GT' labeling I see on the left side? I ask because the Polo GT in the UK has a 140 bhp 1.4 TSI.
Yeah it looks like they will sell the 1.2 TSI as a 'GT' version here in India. All the hot hatches here in India have a singular criteria - it has to be above 100 BHP!! who gives two hoots about international markets!
Old 18th October 2012, 13:23   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 84.monsoon View Post
If VW can bring the 1.2 TSI on the Polo and 1.4 TSI on the Vento, they can revive the Petrol sales a bit.
Agree with this. I do not believe that all the petrol heads have shifted to diesel owing to petrol prices. I have driven the Vento TDI, and really didn't enjoy driving it. Maybe because am used to petrols only, and also because my usage doesn't really justify diesels. I still think there are umpteen number of Indians who prefer a petrol engine over diesels as their only car. I for one, would consider a Vento 1.4 TSI if they really bring it here.

IMO, Honda City is still the best car in the segment, simply because of the awesome iVTEC petrol engine. And possibly quite a few friends owning diesels would agree with me as well.
Old 18th October 2012, 15:58   #23
BHPian

Nice scoop ! Thanks.
I wonder why VW engineers would test a product with a prominent "TSI" and "GT" logo. Unless, we are looking at an imminent launch (considering the 1.6 being withdrawn) ?
Old 18th October 2012, 16:32   #24
BHPian

Something i heard from a source long time back and saw the image today
(though i cant be sure!)
-Its a separate product; POLO GT 1.2 TSI
-Production in Calendar week 46 this year
-Expect new alloys and jet black interior
AnkitPrashar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th October 2012, 16:41   #25
BHPian

Had too much time to kill.

On 28th Sept, bhp-ian Nikhil Mohandas had snapped a silver polo with taped badges.
Here is a close up of the taped badges and the scoop shot of the black Polo GT snapped by Overdrive.

A visual comparison suggests that the dimensions on the tape cover the 'GT' and 'TSI' badges. For all the current VWs, the left has a big 'Volkswagen' badge and that would not be covered by such a small tape.

Another question is if VW was just testing the engine, would they have elaborate GT and TSI labeling on the car?

Please note that this is just hopeful speculation rather than anything else.
Attached Thumbnails
Scoop! VW Polo TSI spotted testing in India *UPDATE* Fresh Scoop pics on Pg.15-suspected-polo-gt.jpg  

Scoop! VW Polo TSI spotted testing in India *UPDATE* Fresh Scoop pics on Pg.15-a5vdflhceaas9cl.jpg  

Old 25th October 2012, 23:51   #26
PPS
Senior - BHPian

As per Hormazd Sorabjee of Autocar, Polo 1.2 TSI is coming next year & it will also be offered with a 7 speed DSG!

Isn't the 7 speed box the one that had issues all along? 6 speed is more reliable from what i have read.
Old 26th October 2012, 01:32   #27
Senior - BHPian

The Polo 1.2 TSI report from Malaysia - looks like the same car

http://paultan.org/2010/10/18/volksw...t-impressions/

http://my.volkswagen.com/vwcms/maste...ical_data.html

Incidentally - it is priced equivalent to 20lakh INR
Old 26th October 2012, 08:54   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PPS View Post
As per Hormazd Sorabjee of Autocar, Polo 1.2 TSI is coming next year & it will also be offered with a 7 speed DSG!

Isn't the 7 speed box the one that had issues all along? 6 speed is more reliable from what i have read.
@PPS Not sure of your source. I searched and the closest I came to was http://http://www.autocarindia.com/N...est-drive.aspx. But this does not talk of 1.2 TSI with 7 speed DSG launch.

Could you point us towards the source?

Cheers,
Old 26th October 2012, 10:00   #29
BHPian

Polo GT in India will be with 7-Speed DSG. this 7 speed DSG has gone through 2 revisions after the failures were reported. current generation is very well stable and is used with the engines generating < 250NM torque.
Old 26th October 2012, 10:05   #30
BHPian

7 speed DSG for a mid range hatch sounds too far fetched in India.
I bet VW will not offer DSG 7 speed auto for Polo.

Last edited by acroback : 26th October 2012 at 10:08. Reason: clarification
Closed Thread