Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread

Old 21st April 2013, 10:53   #346
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAVAN KADAM View Post
Some detailed shots.
Very nice shots! Seems VW wants everybody to know it is a TSI, so many GT TSI badges. Even the HU and the seats with the black-grey theme look really nice. Is it available I White? It would look really cool with gunmetal grey wheels
Old 21st April 2013, 11:50   #347
BHPian

Default Re: Scoop! VW Polo TSI spotted testing in India *UPDATE* Fresh Scoop pics on Pg.15

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post
From what I have noticed, VW normally does not dilute their GTI’s styling characteristics/identity by providing them on other variants. This is just the regular Polo which is sold in other markets. This GT badge is just to differentiate from the current 3-pot variants sold in India.
Just came across one of team-bhpian @theragingbull's Polo 1.6. No need to look forward to VW i think.

This is as close to any GTI we are ever going to get in near future. So why not take full advantage of it.
Attached Thumbnails
Scoop! VW Polo TSI spotted testing in India *UPDATE* Fresh Scoop pics on Pg.15-polo-gti.jpg  

Old 21st April 2013, 12:21   #348
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarthikK View Post

The Indian Rapid is a rebadged Vento! and Vento does not exist anywhere else. It was a Polo sedan created mainly for India. The European Rapid is a wholly different platform. Retrofitting rear discs in place of rear drums on ABS cars, that too from a totally different car is akin to opening multiple cans of worms . Can't be termed an 'easy' swap job in my opinion.
Get the brakes from a polo GTI.. its not a deal breaker in either case.
Old 21st April 2013, 12:42   #349
BHPian

Help, does anyone have contact of a higher up at downtown prabhadevi? My orignal sA who had booked the car left and the new one is giving me info that I cant digest kike he says he has not received any but one display tsi car. I dont think its true. Plz let me know by PM if someone has a reliable source as the orignal sA had promised me my black vento or the new polo tsi delivery at the first possible slot.. thanks!
Old 21st April 2013, 13:10   #350
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Scoop! VW Polo TSI spotted testing in India *UPDATE* Fresh Scoop pics on Pg.15

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAVAN KADAM View Post
Some detailed shots.
The seats looks very very similar to the ones in my Ford Fiesta 1.6 S, nothing bad about it though. If I were in the market for a car with 8L budget, I would definitely visit the VW showroom to check this car out. But I am not a fan of Automatic gearboxes ( DSG or not! ) A hot hatch should have a manual transmission, is what I firmly believe
Old 21st April 2013, 14:03   #351
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prithwi-81 View Post
Internationally sold ones do.
Quote:
The Indian Rapid is a rebadged Vento! and Vento does not exist anywhere else. It was a Polo sedan created mainly for India. The European Rapid is a wholly different platform. Retrofitting rear discs in place of rear drums on ABS cars, that too from a totally different car is akin to opening multiple cans of worms . Can't be termed an 'easy' swap job in my opinion.
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnjacob View Post
The Indian Vento is sold as the "Polo Sedan" in Malaysia and Russia. Looking at the VW Malaysia site, though, I cannot see any information about whether the Polo sedan comes with rear discs or drums. Either there are no technical specifications published, or I couldn't find them.
Quote:
The Vento was manufactured basically for the Indian market and was launched here first in 2010. It was later extended to Malaysia and Russia as the Polo sedan in mid-2012.

The manufacturing of Vento (Polo sedan) is still done in India and exported from here, which means that it will be the same variants, with drums on the rear. Checking the specs of the Russian Polo sedan confirms this. Attaching a link to the specs of the Russian Vento :
http://www.carsunplugged.com/01_deta...d=3024&kat=all
Polo sedan always existed. Even they had the same term Vento in its international variants. I have seen them many in UK and in EU. Following quote from the link can be taken as one of the good documentation on Polo sedans / vento.

The Volkswagen Vento is a sedan from the German car manufacturer Volkswagen based on the Golf Mk III .
The Vento was introduced in 1992 and followed the Volkswagen Jetta on. Outside Europe the model just kept Jetta called. As with the Mk II Jetta and VW Golf Mk II made ​​a distinction between the sedan and hatchback. For example, the Vento got square headlights. The engine range was similar to the Golf Mk III.
In 1998 , the Vento succeeded by Bora that the Jetta Mk IV was again outside Europe. The Jetta Mk V from 2005 hot in Europe again Jetta .
The name Vento is again dug up in 2010 based on the Polo sedan specifically for the Russian and Indian market. In China and Brazil, we will in due course have the car go encounter. The new Vento is available with a 1.4 and a 1.6 liter engine.

http://nl.wikipedia.org/wiki/Volkswagen_Vento
rejoycjohn is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st April 2013, 17:53   #352
Senior - BHPian

Nice pics Pavan sir . The interiors and gizmos do look very good from whatever scoop pictures we have had on this thread so far. From one of those pictures of the footwell, me thinks the pedals are too closely spaced and could cause some foot-mixup moments. They could have given a little more spacing in what is the wheel well of an automatic car (anyway no clutch pedal). Anyway, this would be a minor ergonomic issue which the buyers would soon get used to, so shouldn't be a dealbreaker.

One of my cousins was about to book a Honda City automatic, and I have threatened him against doing that , instead asking him to wait for the Polo GT. Eagerly awaiting the launch of the 1.2 TSI. Does anyone have any information on when the test drives are going to start? Do the dealers have the demo vehicles ready for the April 25th launch, or will it take longer??
Old 21st April 2013, 18:19   #353
BHPian

So we are getting a 1.2 TSI, that means no power upgrade, with reduced fuel ecomnomy to ease drivebility in thick traffic, that too with a 6-7 speed DSG that is known for a second or two delay in pick-up with that lurch (if you are not that precise in accelerating)
I was so happy hearing a 1.4 TSI, would have been a great package... :(
Old 21st April 2013, 18:32   #354
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Test drives will start a month after launch as dealers do not have demo cars.

Also the first delivery is on 29th April.

(All info from Volkswagen Saket's SA)
mjumrani is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st April 2013, 19:11   #355
BHPian

Quote:
One of my cousins was about to book a Honda City automatic, and I have threatened him against doing that , instead asking him to wait for the Polo GT. Eagerly awaiting the launch of the 1.2 TSI. Does anyone have any information on when the test drives are going to start? Do the dealers have the demo vehicles ready for the April 25th launch, or will it take longer??

Is it worth the risk buying the DQ 200 7Speed DSG which has a high rate of failure, vs the reliable Honda torque converters? Has VW done anything about making this gearbox reliable ?
Old 21st April 2013, 19:31   #356
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by msmatic View Post
Is it worth the risk buying the DQ 200 7Speed DSG which has a high rate of failure, vs the reliable Honda torque converters? Has VW done anything about making this gearbox reliable ?
Very valid point you brought up , and I cannot disagree with the horror stories about the DSG box failures.

We do own a City 1.5 V AT in our extended family, and I have to add that it is one of the most fun to drive automatics. My point for this particular buyer was - if he is getting all the bells and whistles plus driving pleasure of the City AT in the Polo TSI DSG, why invest ~2-3 lacs more on just an extra boot (he doesn't need boot space). Anyway, we'll definitely keep the DQ200 stories in mind when decision time comes along though.
KarthikK is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st April 2013, 21:16   #357
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The 1.2l engine has lesser torque compared to the 1.8l found in the Superb, so failure rate should be lower but nonetheless VW needs to address this issue and offer extended warranty on the transmission to put customers at ease.
StarScream is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd April 2013, 01:19   #358
BHPian

Quote:
My point for this particular buyer was - if he is getting all the bells and whistles plus driving pleasure of the City AT in the Polo TSI DSG, why invest ~2-3 lacs more on just an extra boot (he doesn't need boot space).
Quote:
Originally Posted by StarScream View Post
The 1.2l engine has lesser torque compared to the 1.8l found in the Superb, so failure rate should be lower but nonetheless VW needs to address this issue and offer extended warranty on the transmission to put customers at ease.
When compared to Honda AMAZE AT, the gearbox uncertainty is the only thing that stops me from going to VW. If they had just plonked in the Vento's AT Box, that should've lowered the price and been far more reliable.
msmatic is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd April 2013, 02:48   #359
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

When compared to Honda AMAZE AT, the gearbox uncertainty is the only thing that stops me from going to VW. If they had just plonked in the Vento's AT Box, that should've lowered the price and been far more reliable.
The DQ 200 is a dry type box with a max capability of handling 250nm of torque. The 1.8l engine in the superb makes exactly 250nm torque so the box is at its peak capacity.
With the 1.2tsi it makes much lesser torque than the 1.8tsi so one can *expect* the box to be more reliable as its not operating at its peak and there's a healthy buffer. Also,the 2012 models of superb haven't reported any gearbox failures AFAIK.
If you're keen on the Polo 1.2 tsi I suggest you wait 6+ months by when the ownership reports confirming reliability will be out.
VW would've certainly reworked on the reliability aspect of this box as a failure in a humble Polo means the replacement will cost you nearly 2 or 3 lakhs so anywhere between 20 and 30% of the car value.
shashank.nk is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 22nd April 2013, 10:28   #360
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shashank.nk View Post
The DQ 200 is a dry type box with a max capability of handling 250nm of torque. The 1.8l engine in the superb makes exactly 250nm torque so the box is at its peak capacity.
Are you sure the max capability of 1.8l engine is 250nm of torque?
Closed Thread