Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread

Old 24th April 2013, 09:13   #406
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sriramv.iyer View Post
I think this is overpriced by at least a lakh. To bring things into perspective, we need to compare it to the closes turbo petrol car, which is TJet.

At around 9.5L OTR (after discounts) this gives a 1.4L turbo petrol engine and a whole lot of car than the 1.2 TSI polo.

I'll believe that the TJet is the car that anyone can have most fun and priced below 20L in India. The only difference seems to be a DSG.

The pricing of 1.2 TSI will show how much VFM TJet was!
You obviously have NOT driven a Skoda Laura 1.8TSI or a Forrd Fiesta S.
prithwi-81 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th April 2013, 09:16   #407
BHPian

Default Re: Scoop! VW Polo TSI spotted testing in India *UPDATE* Fresh Scoop pics on Pg.15

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post
I hope this do well in our market. At this point, I don't see a competition in this space. If this clicks, we may get to see the likes of Punto 1.4 TJet, Fiesta1.0 Ecoboost, Jazz 1.5 etc.
Affirmative !!

In regards to transmission, I think ford fiesta is close with its 6-speed Powershift Dual clutch Automatic; but still is far less in terms of power to wheels producing 140Nm @ 4500 rpm as compared to TSI's 174 Nm torque

Can be a different story if accompained with ecoboost producing similar torque with a Powershift Dual clutch automatic though !!!
Old 24th April 2013, 09:20   #408

Default Re: Scoop! VW Polo TSI spotted testing in India *UPDATE* Fresh Scoop pics on Pg.15

Launch date changed from today- 24th April to the 29th April.
Old 24th April 2013, 09:27   #409
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prithwi-81 View Post

The Laura and fiesta are nice but I think he makes a valid point: so is the linea t-jet armed with good looks and if the suspension was lowered and stiffened it handles brilliantly as well
IshaanIan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th April 2013, 11:23   #410
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post
If a Vento 1.6 AT can cost 10+ lakhs on-road, 9 to 10 lakhs for a Polo 1.2 DSG is quite justified. Yes, you get a boot in the Vento but with the latter you are getting better technology and better safety.

Personally, I feel 9-10 lakhs OTR is decent pricing, and if below 9 lakhs its fantastic.

I hope this do well in our market. At this point, I don't see a competition in this space. If this clicks, we may get to see the likes of Punto 1.4 TJet, Fiesta1.0 Ecoboost, Jazz 1.5 etc.
Definitely agree, this car if successful could initiate a range of Turbocharged small cars that are pretty perfect compromises between everyday running ease and sportiness for the weekend.
Old 24th April 2013, 12:13   #411
BHPian

Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbppjpr View Post
Are you sure the TJet is launched and that too at the price under 10L OTR?
Linea TJet was launched in October 2010. Thats a solid 2.5 years ago. I guess you think I am talking about the Punto TJet.*

Quote:
I think we are speculating too much, company hasn't yet officially launched the GT TSI in India neither they have declared any price. We have talked enough on price front so now we should give the price discussion a halt for the moment till we get official price and we should continue other informative discussions about the 1.2 TSI engine in this thread.
Why not discuss price? Why limit the discussion to engine only? Next time some one will say let's discuss the discussion to tyre only since we discussed enough about engine!

I was in VW Bangalore when they told me it will be priced around 10L OTR FROM the sales person, which I duly reported in this thread. She also told me that the test drive car will be in by Wednesday, and looks like it already is. Now we are comparing other options and their pricing. Feel free to ignore stuff that you are not interested.

Quote:
Yes I have driven them both - Also much more expensive options. Have you driven the Fiat Linea TJet?

vRS is one of my favorite machines.

Note from Support - Posts merged. Please use Multi-Quote option to reply to multiple posts instead of submitting back to back posts. Thanks!

Last edited by n_aditya : 24th April 2013 at 15:13. Reason: Posts merged
Old 24th April 2013, 12:23   #412
BHPian

Quote:
Why not discuss price? Why limit the discussion to engine only? Next time some one will say let's discuss the discussion to tyre only since we discussed enough about engine!
Discussing price of a product which is far from it's launch, is good, rather I also like to jump in such discussions to speculate and express my opinion on the price. But here the car has reached to all the showrooms, launch is nearing and we will be introduced with the price very soon so why not to just wait for few days and save our opinions for that time to criticize or appreciate the price then? And speculations have turned up very wild in this thread ranging from 7L to 10L. Who knows what price they are thinking, maybe they really launch it at around 7-8L OTR in low tax states or maybe the price crosses even 10-12L or even more !
Old 24th April 2013, 12:52   #413
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Linea TJet was launched in October 2010. Thats a solid 2.5 years ago. I guess you think I am talking about the Punto TJet.*
Think he meant, relaunch. Linea T-Jet was not available for a good part of 2012 and now 2013, and is all set to re-enter the market next month.

Infact, website is already updated - and it is also going to be available in the Dynamic trim - which would make the price around 10.5L OTR. As an enthusiast's car, it makes a very good case for itself, compared to the Polo GT. (If you can ignore the DSG, that is!).
Old 24th April 2013, 13:32   #414
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
As an enthusiast's car, it makes a very good case for itself, compared to the Polo GT. (If you can ignore the DSG, that is!).
For some (including me), the DSG is the very reason to not even consider the Polo GT. I've seen a friend suffer multiple gearbox replacements over 3 years on a Superb AT. He finally sold it weeks before the warranty was expiring.
Old 24th April 2013, 13:40   #415
BHPian

See all your fears of DQ200 failure is linked to the bad decision of Skoda/VAG to pair it with the 250NM engine, which is at the extreme end of the gearbox's tolerance. They put in SW fix for this when the updated the ECU with a torque reduction program, which pulls timing when power o/p goes near the specified 250nm. Hence u dont hear of any horror stories in the 2012 cars that were there in the 2010-11 7ATs.

Now on the Polo 1.2TSI @ 175NM the DQ200 is very well within its prescribed limits of 250NM torque. Even with the Stage 1 Remap that pushes it to 220NM torque the DQ200 is still below its 250NM breakpoint, so I dont see any issues coming up with the gearbox.

Quote:
Yes I have driven them both - Also much more expensive options. Have you driven the Fiat Linea TJet?

vRS is one of my favorite machines.
Yes i have driven the Linea TJet and was pretty impressed with it. Handles very well and good power delivery too, but the weight was just so much of a bother, and I wasnt too impressed with the braking as well as the interior quality that i decided against it.

Under 10L it was the BEST enthusiast car around when Ford stopped making the Fiesta S. Now if you push the budget to 20L then it loses out to the likes of laura TSi and erstwhile honda Civics.

Note from Support - Please use the Multi-Quote (How to MULTI-QUOTE (when replying to a thread) on Team-BHP) feature to reply to multiple posts instead of submitting back to back posts. Thanks!

Last edited by n_aditya : 24th April 2013 at 15:07. Reason: Posts merged
prithwi-81 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 24th April 2013, 13:50   #416
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaibir View Post
For some (including me), the DSG is the very reason to not even consider the Polo GT. I've seen a friend suffer multiple gearbox replacements over 3 years on a Superb AT. He finally sold it weeks before the warranty was expiring.
Quote:
See all your fears of DQ200 failure is linked to the bad decision of Skoda/VAG to pair it with the 250NM engine, which is at the extreme end of the gearbox's tolerance. They put in SW fix for this when the updated the ECU with a torque reduction program, which pulls timing when power o/p goes near the specified 250nm. Hence u dont hear of any horror stories in the 2012 cars that were there in the 2010-11 7ATs.

Now on the Polo 1.2TSI @ 175NM the DQ200 is very well within its prescribed limits of 250NM torque. Even with the Stage 1 Remap that pushes it to 220NM torque the DQ200 is still below its 250NM breakpoint, so I dont see any issues coming up with the gearbox.
+1.

Same point has been stressed earlier in the thread too, I guess. Technically - DQ200 box should work fine with the 1.2 TSi - where its well within its limits, than compared to the 1.8 TSi.

Another point to note is that DQ200 was a dry type box - and it was a bad decision indeed to push it to its limits - specially in our sort of traffic conditions.

However - personally speaking - I would wait and watch. If the costs of these repairs can hurt the owner of a Superb, it could very well give a heart attack to a middle class man (Polo owner) - if something indeed goes wrong. If i need an automatic - Amaze sounds like a VFM proposition, an for an enthusiats machine - paying bit more for the Linea TJet sounds great.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th April 2013, 13:52   #417
BHPian

Yup.. and dont forget the Brio AT.. brilliant little city car.. and fun to drive.
Old 24th April 2013, 13:52   #418
Senior - BHPian

The T-Jet offered great handling and a enthusiast motor. But the problem was:
- It was over-weight compared to the competition which hampers performance as well as FE
- FE was at least 2 lower than competition in the segment
- Interiors were not assembled nicely.
- It was launched in the diesel era where very few enthusiasts would go for petrol cars
- Honda City was (at least perceived) to have better quality overall and good resale.

Even today no matter how many times the T-jet is launched, it will not sell unless the it is launched at sub-7.00 ex-showroom which they cannot. India is a FE oriented market and the T-jet offers one of the lowest like the Fiesta 1.6 (ARAI numbers). Why would someone buy the T-Jet when you can buy the City base version all required safety bells at near 8.5 Mumbai OTR.

Regarding the Polo TSI, even if it does not do numbers, VW will use this launch to showcase the DSG and 1.2 motor to volume segment customers.

The 1.2 TSI will surely make it to the Vento, Rapid in the near future. There is no chance it will not as VW would not invest in an engine and its assembly that would cater to a handful of buyers.
Old 24th April 2013, 14:00   #419
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dipen View Post
The 1.2 TSI will surely make it to the Vento, Rapid in the near future. There is no chance it will not as VW would not invest in an engine and its assembly that would cater to a handful of buyers.
If we see that possibility then the speculations about CS version of Vento also seem true and maybe VW is bringing the Polo TSI to see the results of the engine for CS sedan!

A hatchback with expensive gearbox and egnine combo may not sell in significant numbers but a tax saving CS sedan may crunch numbers for them.
Old 24th April 2013, 14:05   #420
Senior - BHPian

The manual box will surely come. VW cannot risk mating the 1.2 to DSG only. Risk because if DSG problems pop up in high numbers, it will ruin things to a very high level. They cannot take this risk and will not.

All is a question of when.
Closed Thread