Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 30th January 2013, 19:30   #151
Team-BHP Support
 
manson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 3,458
Thanked: 1,746 Times
Default Re: Mahindra undecided about launching the Korando?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
Not camouflaged, just masked for transportation before delivery.
Very elaborate packaging on this one then, thanks!
manson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th January 2013, 20:43   #152
Team-BHP Support
 
Zappo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 5,535
Thanked: 1,885 Times
Default Re: Mahindra undecided about launching the Korando?

Quote:
Originally Posted by manson View Post
Very elaborate packaging on this one then, thanks!
Viddy is right. This is how M&M packages it's vehicles for transportation. My XUV also came with the exact same stickers all around it. In fact I was on the top floor, GM's office and saw my car arriving from the yard, on the opposite side of the road to take a U-turn ahead and enter the dealership. For a moment my heart leapt to my mouth as I saw the right fender and the bonnet slope merging with it was crinkled. I thought they did the unthinkable before I realized that its the protective stickering which probably could not be put very cleanly and has those creases1
Zappo is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 5th February 2013, 16:30   #153
Newbie
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Ludhiana/Mohali
Posts: 6
Thanked: Once
Default Advice - To buy Rexton or not?!

Hi,

Wanted to buy an SUV/MUV for the family use and went for hunt in the market.
Shortlisted following and wanted to have expert advice if i should go ahead with bookings or hold!

Ssang Yong Rexton- I liked this car a lot and while test driving, found it to be very good.

Verison Shortlisted - RX7 - AT

Likes:
Driving Comfort
Inside Space/Cabin
Absolute no Body Roll
Downhill Control
Masculine Looks
Mahindra Service Backup
Sunroof


Dislikes:
No Rear Camera Display
No Push button start-Old style key.
Last seat is not comfortable for adults
Not very good thigh support on second row of seats.

I would like to get an expert advice here for Rexton.

Thanks in advance.

Mods-I could not find an individual thread on Rexton, so posting a new one. If this is wrong posting, please let me know.
rsachdeva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th February 2013, 17:29   #154
BHPian
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Kochi
Posts: 55
Thanked: 28 Times
Default Re: Advice -To buy Rexton or not!

Putting in my two bits.

Why are you in the market for your new stead? Do not get enamoured by the gadgetry. If you can hack it, would recommend the Pajero sport. A few "big Ls" more in cost, and no headaches. Mitsubishi India is re-badging itself, so we may expect an improvement in after sales service. Can't say the same for Mahindra-Sssyangyong setup though...

Like I said, my two bits.
220kmph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th February 2013, 17:29   #155
BHPian
 
viper_711's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 344
Thanked: 54 Times
Default Re: Advice -To buy Rexton or not!

Are you going to be driving or be driven? How often would you have more than 4/5 people in the car? Are you going to be involved in any off-roading?

Need to understand this before any comments would make sense.
viper_711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th February 2013, 18:48   #156
BHPian
 
tachobells's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: bangalore
Posts: 227
Thanked: 115 Times
Default Re: Advice - To buy Rexton or not?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsachdeva View Post

Likes:
Driving Comfort
Inside Space/Cabin
Absolute no Body Roll
Downhill Control
Masculine Looks
Mahindra Service Backup
Sunroof


Dislikes:
No Rear Camera Display
No Push button start-Old style key.
Last seat is not comfortable for adults
Not very good thigh support on second row of seats.
.
Are you sure there is no Body roll? Most of the Rexon reviews were saying there was significant body roll. Although I drove this for a short distance, I couldn't test that very well. But within the 2-3 zig zags I did, I felt some roll.

About rear camera, did you ask if it's possible to add one? If it has a video IN, may be its possible. Another option is to replace the whole unit and fit a better aftermarket touch screen HU with rear camera support. Only thing you'll miss is the steering mounted control. (which isn't really that useful IMO).
tachobells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th February 2013, 19:46   #157
Distinguished - BHPian
 
shankar.balan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: BLR
Posts: 7,869
Thanked: 4,927 Times
Default Re: Advice - To buy Rexton or not?!

The Rexton is good value because it is well priced. It is a proven vehicle (over generations in Korea, UK, Eur and Aus). Yes it is much cheaper to buy there when compared to here but it is still priced decently in India.
It is a strong vehicle and very capacious indeed.
A great no-nonsense, strong, tough, ladder framed, people mover SUV.
If that is what you need, then I would say buy it.
Indeed, I would vote Rexton over Captiva, Fortuner, Pajero Sport or any other from the Mitsu stable, Honda CRV, Hyundai Santa Fe and Renault Koleos.
In fact, were I in the market for something like the XUV, I would seriously consider the Rexton because it is better proven than the XUV is and definitely better finished etc. Being Mahindra owned, in general one need not worry about being looked after, post purchase.
shankar.balan is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 5th February 2013, 20:13   #158
Newbie
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Ludhiana/Mohali
Posts: 6
Thanked: Once
Default Re: Advice - To buy Rexton or not?!

To answer various questions:

In market, I mean to say check out various options online and offline.

This would be mostly self driven as in city and sometimes on long drives with family. No off roading.

I haven't driven Pajero, but seriously it looks like more of a High end version of Bolero (sorry I don't mean to hurt anyone).

Typically the things which shankar.balan has said in his post, those were my opinions, he just said almost all. Thanks a lot.

Only big drawback I am looking is at since it has yet to prove in Indian markets (sale data), so i am little nervous.

Otherwise i drove it couple of times now and every time i drive it as TD, I am loving it more and more.

For body roll, tachobells i did not find that much body roll, but I did drove it much zig zag as you said. But i was just comparing the body roll with cars when I had driven Safari's and Scorpio's.
rsachdeva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th February 2013, 21:37   #159
BHPian
 
eq24's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Crazy-gaon, NCR
Posts: 377
Thanked: 304 Times
Default Re: Advice - To buy Rexton or not?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsachdeva View Post
Hi,

Wanted to buy an SUV/MUV for the family use and went for hunt in the market.
Shortlisted following and wanted to have expert advice if i should go ahead with bookings or hold!

Ssang Yong Rexton- I liked this car a lot and while test driving, found it to be very good.

Verison Shortlisted - RX7 - AT

Likes:
Driving Comfort
Inside Space/Cabin
Absolute no Body Roll
Downhill Control
Masculine Looks
Mahindra Service Backup
Sunroof


Dislikes:
No Rear Camera Display
No Push button start-Old style key.
Last seat is not comfortable for adults
Not very good thigh support on second row of seats.

I would like to get an expert advice here for Rexton.

Thanks in advance.

Mods-I could not find an individual thread on Rexton, so posting a new one. If this is wrong posting, please let me know.

I was in your position as well mate so can understand, The Rexton is no doubt a fantastic package and where as your cons are concerned let me answer them first in sequence
You can get this installed as an original accessory.
Push button is a gimmick, it does not give you any more advantage than a traditional key up. At most consider it as a convenience nothing more.
This depends on how much you need the last seat and You and only You can make the call on the seriousness of this Con.
Again this is Your call in the end.

Now coming back to topic and I am surprised you did not consider the body roll as a con, do try a fast turn or even a lane change at speed and judge for yourself.

We were so in love with the Rexton that we booked it even without a test drive, it was only later when a thorough test drive was done that we found out about the body roll.

But in the end the decision to not go with the Rexton was purely because of New product jitters.
Unknow Brand
*** was Unknown
And a bit the body roll.
when such a large sum is at stake, you want to be satisfied on all counts and we clearly weren't. We ended up with a Fortuner 4X2 AT and are loving every bit of it.

So I don't know as a product on paper, the Rexton ticks every box but in the Reality of things you have to chose if this is the right step considering the Monies at stake.

Good luck.
eq24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th February 2013, 21:45   #160
Newbie
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Ludhiana/Mohali
Posts: 6
Thanked: Once
Default Re: Advice - To buy Rexton or not?!

Thanks everyone for the advice. Looks like i need another TD to check for couple of things and drive on high speeds to check for body roll. I did not drove on high speed (<80) and not found much body roll. Need to recheck at my end with TD again.

Just to check with guys here: I am not sure about BMW X1 price, will it fit my budget if i extend my budget by a couple. Should I add it to my list and then get to check about all its details. I was of feeling that it would stretch the budget a lot.

Though in Punjab Rexton is about 21L as price of car +other charges (insurance. RC)

Thanks!
rsachdeva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th February 2013, 09:09   #161
Distinguished - BHPian
 
jkdas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Thiruvananthapu
Posts: 9,592
Thanked: 1,269 Times
Default Re: Mahindra launches the SsangYong Rexton @ 17.67 - 19.67 lacs

TD'ed one last week. Pretty impressed with the SUV.
  • looks well built and premium
  • loaded with gadgets and stuff
  • Auto box is neat
  • Very linear power delivery
  • Comfy rear!
  • Great pricing
  • Good looks
  • Easy to drive around
  • Small turning radius for its size

There are two models;
R5: the manual one and it misses few goodies. Costs 21.4 lac OTR, Trivandrum
R7: AWD, Auto. More powerful than R5 and more loaded. Costs 24 lac OTR, Trivandrum.

Booking amount is 1lac.

The TD'd experience was nice and I should say that the sales guy(Siji or so) was never pushy or a chatterbox type sales man.
jkdas is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11th February 2013, 12:59   #162
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 4
Thanked: 6 Times
Default Re: Advice - To buy Rexton or not?!

If you are planning to use the car/ SUV for a family you should keep away from x1. It is not meant for family at all. Just two months ago the local dealer was selling a used x1 for a big discount (it was their demo vehicle, driven around 7k km). I went and TDed it and felt that the rear seats were very uncomfortable. Even to enter and exit the rear seats is uncomfortable. But of course it is fun to drive like all other BMWs are.

Just throwing a spanner here... I think the most comfortable family car is Innova. Rexton is OK... better than an Endy or a Fort on ride quality, but nothing beats the comfort of Innova on rear seats. I just took one to Bangalore from Hyderbad and man I was amazed at the ride quality. But yeah it doesn't have the spunk of a modern SUV. If you have a large family you may think about it, else why not get hold of a good sedan, which are generally more comfy than SUVs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsachdeva View Post
Thanks everyone for the advice. Looks like i need another TD to check for couple of things and drive on high speeds to check for body roll. I did not drove on high speed (<80) and not found much body roll. Need to recheck at my end with TD again.

Just to check with guys here: I am not sure about BMW X1 price, will it fit my budget if i extend my budget by a couple. Should I add it to my list and then get to check about all its details. I was of feeling that it would stretch the budget a lot.

Though in Punjab Rexton is about 21L as price of car +other charges (insurance. RC)

Thanks!
siddharth113 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th February 2013, 16:46   #163
Distinguished - BHPian
 
jkdas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Thiruvananthapu
Posts: 9,592
Thanked: 1,269 Times
Default Re: Mahindra launches the SsangYong Rexton @ 17.67 - 19.67 lacs

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkdas View Post
TD'ed one last week. Pretty impressed with the SUV.
  • looks well built and premium
  • loaded with gadgets and stuff
  • Auto box is neat
  • Very linear power delivery
  • Comfy rear!
  • Great pricing
  • Good looks
  • Easy to drive around
  • Small turning radius for its size

There are two models;
R5: the manual one and it misses few goodies. Costs 21.4 lac OTR, Trivandrum
R7: AWD, Auto. More powerful than R5 and more loaded. Costs 24 lac OTR, Trivandrum.

Booking amount is 1lac.

The TD'd experience was nice and I should say that the sales guy(Siji or so) was never pushy or a chatterbox type sales man.
Adding few pix of the R5 ( manual one).
Attached Thumbnails
Mahindra launches the SsangYong Rexton @ 17.67 - 19.67 lacs-20130209_122042_827-large.jpg  

Mahindra launches the SsangYong Rexton @ 17.67 - 19.67 lacs-20130209_122101_98-large.jpg  

jkdas is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11th February 2013, 16:58   #164
Senior - BHPian
 
n.devdath's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 3,652
Thanked: 1,222 Times
Default Re: Mahindra launches the SsangYong Rexton @ 17.67 - 19.67 lacs

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
The Rexton is good value because it is well priced. It is a proven vehicle (over generations in Korea, UK, Eur and Aus). Yes it is much cheaper to buy there when compared to here but it is still priced decently in India.
Add to this the older "tank like" gen Mercedes underpinnings and the reliability quotient only grows.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rsachdeva View Post
This would be mostly self driven as in city and sometimes on long drives with family. No off roading.

I haven't driven Pajero, but seriously it looks like more of a High end version of Bolero (sorry I don't mean to hurt anyone).
Otherwise i drove it couple of times now and every time i drive it as TD, I am loving it more and more.
It would be a bit too much to call the Pajero Sport a bigger Bolero...

For your requirements, I d recommend the AT Rexton since you seem to be pretty smitten by it and it is a good vehicle for someone who is not an enthusiastic driver.

Its greatest drawbacks are body roll, a lazy AT, tinny sound system and that unusable last row. This apart, I find it suitable for your purposes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkdas View Post
TD'ed one last week. Pretty impressed with the SUV.
So, when are you booking one? You are anyway looking to upgrade...!!
n.devdath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th February 2013, 19:26   #165
BHPian
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Anand, Gujarat / Virginia Beach, US
Posts: 457
Thanked: 175 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by n.devdath View Post

Add to this the older "tank like" gen Mercedes underpinnings and the reliability quotient only grows.
OT here: correct me if i am wrong here but, this Rexton is based on first generation Merc ML. And I think everybody knows how unreliable was this first gen ML. Interestingly, ML was first car in MB's history to be built outside of Germany, in Alabama, USA.

Having said that, Merc Diesel engines are usually strong and reliable.
Nitrous Power is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Engine trouble in Mahindra Ssangyong Rexton EDIT: Turbo replaced under warranty .anshuman Technical Stuff 210 17th February 2017 12:52
Hyderabad-Kaza-Hyderabad in a Ssangyong Rexton ashroy_6 Travelogues 60 30th September 2015 10:19
SsangYong (Rexton and more) @ Auto Expo 2012 Rehaan The Indian Car Scene 30 3rd October 2012 18:24
Updated SsangYong Rexton! raj_5004 The Indian Car Scene 43 4th June 2012 18:01
Ssangyong Rexton Stratos Super-Cars & Imports in India 2 3rd June 2004 15:46


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 04:19.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks