Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Old 17th October 2012, 23:54   #31
BHPian

Default Re: Mahindra launches the SsangYong Rexton @ 17.67 - 19.67 lacs

This is one hell of a looker. When Autocar India did a feature on Rextron (previous version) and lot of old version rextrons were caught testing, i was aghast. I had tweeted to Mr Anand Mahindra if the old boring Rextron or the exciting Rextron would hit the market. He retweeted my tweet to everyone asking "What do you think". So he got a barrage of tweets "Mahindra has been surprising all for last 10 years and its going to be the new one" "Mahindra always makes the right move and so its the new one" etc from a lot of his followers. Needless to say, 2 weeks later IAB broke news that about Mahindra is rethinking the strategy and could be releasing the new Rextron. May be it was always the new Rextron which was supposed to release (or) may be the power of social media did it, whatever the case may be i am very glad that its this version which has come to India (the old model was a complete disaster in terms of looks).

I think it has the butch SUV looks, space & feature loaded that it cannot fail here. The aggressive pricing (just couple of lakhs above XUV) means lot more customers have the reach to buy this. I think Mahindra has another winner in its hands.

Last edited by urajkumar : 17th October 2012 at 23:59.
urajkumar is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18th October 2012, 00:31   #32
BHPian

I guess M & M got the sweet spot on pricing once more.
But, i really wished Rexton to be branded as XUV 700 or something like that, thereby creating legacy, though XUV stands for Cross Utility Vehicle. In India, no body bothers about the technicality of the name as long it sounds premium and classy.
For eg, LUV ? Really Maruti ?
You could not think of any other name ?

However, I loved the branding Rexton at numerous spots on the car.
They could have highlighted brand Mahindra though, rather placing it in a corner.

Also, did anyone notice the Rexton logo on the D-pillar on the LHS side ?
In my view, it somewhat distracts the looker from noticing that awkwardly huge D-pillar.
Could not figure out why they left out the RHS D-pillar .

Apart from the awkward positioning of third row seats, i felt it to be very airy when compared to third rows of other SUVs and MUVs. Only if they have worked on the ergonomics correctly, many would have loved the third row seats.

As of now , the kids will enjoy the third row as there is virtually no vertical difference between the third row seats and the floor. They can now play as they wish even in the car
Koenigsegg220 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18th October 2012, 04:03   #33
BHPian

With a
1) low range gear box
2) 252mm ground clearance
3) looks comparable to the Fortuner
4) price far lower than the Fortuner for the MT
5) AT with AWD and push button shifts still cheaper than the Fortuner

I dont 'see' why this can't steal the Fortuners Thunder.
If Mahindra gets it's act together and keeps it niggle free and improves the After Sales Service, the demand should only surge further.
Yes the quality won't be upto Toyota standards but for an almost 7- 8 lakh onroad Mumbai difference for the manual 4wd, this is just too good to ignore.
The only reason the XUV never featured on my list was due to the lack of a low range gearbox and this car is turning out to be what the XUV isn't.
I hope they don't hike the price by too much too soon, want to wait for some long term reports/reviews before taking the plunge.
After the XUV disappointment no product has got me this excited till date.
The only negative I see is the body roll / handling, but if I wanted handling I'd buy a Sedan.
Off Roadie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th October 2012, 06:48   #34

This review is total Gangnam style!!
The Rexton looks like a very good quality at the price point.
The engine has Merc pedigree, the styling has been vastly improved compared to the last generaton. The interiors also Sante-fe like soft roader luxury. Bit the meaty wheels and ground clearance give the impression of a capable offroader.
Looks like the Rexron iis taking on 2 titans at the same time, luxury soft roaders like the Santa-fe and butch off roaders like the Fortuner. Me like it.

The only provlem is with the unfamiliarity with the SY brand. But then we also did not know about PSY a couple of weeks back :-)

May be Mahindra would have been better off badging it the Mahindra Rexton or the 'Rexto'.
Shmoos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th October 2012, 09:12   #35
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

Thanks Parry

Loved the Earlier Merc look more.

This should take on SantaFe, Koleos, Endy AT, Fortuner AT quite well with the agressive price point relative to them, high feature list, powerful engines.

Would have like a Black interior though. The Quality of materials seems to be par for the course from the snaps.

The rear most row seat does not offer split fold it appears so both seats need to go at one time so one is either at 5 or 7 passengers not for 6. - Also not adjustable headrest for the third row.

The instrumentation is uninteresting but yet acceptable.
ACM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th October 2012, 09:26   #36
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
Also, would like to know if the M&M chaps plan to leverage the existing dealerships to sell these and the existing service facilities to look after the vehicles.
If so, then there is going to be chaos in the ranks!
Unfortunately, yes. The current sales and service outlets will be utilized with special service bays, tools, service advisors etc etc...
n.devdath is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18th October 2012, 09:44   #37
BHPian

One thing we are forgetting is this car will get footfalls even more than Fortuner; Which host of other brands do not even have. Even some of that translates in Sales, we are looking at sure shot success.

It may be a 10 year + Mercedes derivative, but it sure looks contemporary. Hope the performance will be decent to match the expectations. Sales team has done a good job of selling the XUV 500, so there is good chance that they do the same with Rexton as well. Eagerly awaiting the launch in other cities

Hope they had given the features of AT in the Manual as well. Probably an Rx6 MT in between with Sunroof, cruise control etc.

service is the major Dilema now. But again for a lot of remote locations, that will work out for better isn't it. Maybe in cities, they can have a dedicated service center.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACM View Post
The rear most row seat does not offer split fold it appears so both seats need to go at one time so one is either at 5 or 7 passengers not for 6.
It looks really good to sleep though, so a Six seater as well

Last edited by indian21r : 18th October 2012 at 09:47.
indian21r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th October 2012, 10:00   #38
BHPian

@ parrys: Excellent coverage of the unveiling. Detailed and clear photographs too. Kudos!

I for one think that the Rexton looks old-fashioned (especially in the rear) and has too many design elements. It's obvious that Mahindra is trying to position SsangYong as a slightly more upmarket brand than their own, however it remains to be seen how many Indians are going to buy into that.

Last edited by coloneljasi : 18th October 2012 at 10:04.
coloneljasi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th October 2012, 10:13   #39
Senior - BHPian

I think Rexton looks good. Dashboard/MID look too basic for a vehicle of this price range. However, from the feature list, Mahindra seems to have equipped the vehicle well enough.

I think the pricing is decent, but I don't think there's anything awesome about it - for a brand that is unknown in India and has zero brand value. Success of Rexton will depend on how people perceive the brand.

I don't know how many people know that SsangYong is owned by Mahindra. If Mahindra sells Ssamhyong through their existing showrooms, I suspect a few people might view it like Fiat-Tata relationship ("They don't have own showrooms, might leave any time") and may stay away from it. That won't be great for Rexton.

Mahindra tried to take on Innova with lower-priced Xylo and came up short. I don't expect Rexton-Fortuner battle is going to be any different, although it could do better than other competition (Endeavour, Yeti, Aria, Captiva).
StarrySky is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18th October 2012, 10:13   #40
Senior - BHPian

This is one solid looking vehicle. Would love to see how it handles. 16" high profile tyres should give it good comfort but may impede handling. Awaiting detailed road tests.

BTW excellent photography parrys. You show us much more than whatever we can see anywhere else and that too on the launch day. Hats off!!
dkaile is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18th October 2012, 12:14   #41
Senior - BHPian

The Rexton looks classy from the front, but, loses the classiness at the rear end, where it looks staid & inspired.

Must comment on the SsangYong emblem, which looks like a bull with oversized horns.

It's amongst those few vehicles in India which have got 5-cylinder engine, & probably first SUV (not sure about the offerings from Volvo, which are 4 or 6 cylinder, if I recall correctly). The additional cylinder has given it additional torque, which alongwith the massive ground clearance will definitely help in off-roading.

The interiors also look good, but, despite the massive size, there appears lack of under thigh support (after effect of the massive ground clearance) in 2nd row, which is magnified in 3rd row. I also see minute gaps in few panels (thanks to Parrys wonderful photography), but overall the shut lines appear tight. In one of the images, where the front console is shown, there is something near the left top corner, which I believe is the plastic paper that comes with new vehicles, to protect such surfaces from scratches.

However, I feel the use of faux wood panels could have been better as it sticks out against the black plastic used in the SUV (but, I am no expert to comment on such things as I am yet to own a classy vehicle, & can be easily overawed by big brands at the moment).

My best wishes to the Korean SsangYong & M&M.
CARDEEP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th October 2012, 12:44   #42
BHPian

Thumbs up Re: Mahindra launches the SsangYong Rexton @ 17.67 - 19.67 lacs

Ground clearance of 252mm !! That beats the Fortuner ... WOW !!
I just noticed that the AT with better HP/TORQUE is lighter in the kerb weight than the manual ??
Is that a printing error in the brochure ?
mac_guy555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th October 2012, 17:04   #43
Team-BHP Support

The 2.7L 184BHP AT variant sounds very tempting but what on earth are those interiors? The speedo dials look like they're ripped off an old M&M jeep or something. Is this how they are internationally as well?

Need to see the vehicle in the flesh to decide if I like it or not
noopster is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18th October 2012, 17:13   #44
Senior - BHPian

Like this one, do you have pictures of the MT from inside, does it comes with 4WD or AWD. The pricing is just right for a luxury SUV and hopefully it will not disappoint on the QC, A.S.S front.

When is the official test drive report getting live? That should throw a lot of information that one would need.
mayankjha1806 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th October 2012, 17:18   #45
Senior - BHPian

I remember travelling on this Rexton in south Korea and loved the SUV(but not its looks). Nice to see M&M launching the latest one(makes sense since it is getting imported and assembled)

Back home in south korea, this isnt a big aspirational brand to own, but is VFM and does its duty(something like our Force brand which sources engines from Merc)

I am Looking forward to see a comparo with Fortuner. Not sure how much it will dent the likes of fortuner, but good alternative to endeavor and the likes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by noopster View Post
The speedo dials look like they're ripped off an old M&M jeep or something. Is this how they are internationally as well?

Need to see the vehicle in the flesh to decide if I like it or not
Seriously man !! Wondering what the M&M guys at the assembly plant were smoking. Did they pick some old M&M speedo dials from some other box ?
rajshenoy is offline   Reply With Quote