Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Old 22nd October 2012, 09:38   #31
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (4)
Default Re: Tata introduces stripped-down Aria @ Rs. 9.95 lakhs

Not sure why all this criticism regarding dropped prices/features from the Aria. After all if Maruti can sell the Eeco, Alto, Omni and thousand other cars whose only safety device is a seatbelt, why cant Tata? India's largest selling "SUV" the Bolero has pretty much nothing except seatbelts, but it still sells.

If people are ready to pay and buy Aria with lesser safety features, Tata has covered its market, if only too late.
apachelongbow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd October 2012, 09:47   #32
Senior - BHPian

Isn't a single mass flywheel an actually an improvement over the dual-mass flywheel. The latter having more chances of burnt clutch and related replacement costs. Is the stripped down Aria going to vibrate more due to this ?
lurker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd October 2012, 15:01   #33
BHPian

No matter what Tata does to Aria now, they wont be able to catch up with Innova. As matter of fact, they started on wrong foot, 19 Lacs for top-end Aria? Give me a break. Forget about catching up with Innova, this price cut, heavy discount, and 0% ROI wont make any great numbers for Aria.
throttleking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd October 2012, 15:17   #34
BHPian

a case of too little too late i feel in this launch. Aria was doomed from the start thanks to its obnoxious pricing. signs of its failure were seen as far back as last year where i saw the Aria - the so called lifestyle vehicle being used to ferry airline crew members on the Delhi airport tarmac.
Suddenly TML have realized they need to off load inventory and are trying this to attract the taxi owner. The fleet operator will still go for an old innova for reliability and cost
Ksingh544 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd October 2012, 19:11   #35
BHPian

Actually the Aria would have got more response if they added at-least ABS and airbags in this model. I myself would book the car tommorow itself if they provide me this model with abs and airbags at the 0% ROI offer.
richie4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd October 2012, 19:37   #36
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by richie4u View Post
Actually the Aria would have got more response if they added at-least ABS and airbags in this model. I myself would book the car tommorow itself if they provide me this model with abs and airbags at the 0% ROI offer.
Do a mango-man ever think about safety while buying a vehicle? If this was the primary criteria then all the vehicles would have had safety features like Airbags, ABS,... etc. The vehicles like Bolero would have never seen the light of today's world then.

The primary criteria of a mango-man from what I understand while choosing a vehicle are :

1) Looks (This are subjective some of them want macho while some of them like clean and pleasing design)

2) Good pickup (yes most of them I have encountered said that Mahindra vehicles have good pickup (talking about MUV & so called sub-SUV) so all other SUV are worthless buying; this that they have endless reasons.)

3) Brand name & Bhed-Chal (following one's step blindly) (This can be seen in the case of Swift being overly preferred over many other good vehicles available in that price point. Leave the A.S.S and reliability point they come later.)

4) Reliability

5) Safety

These was from what I have understood from the market as till now, this points might differ according to a person's view about market or people in a particular area.

Last edited by mercedised : 22nd October 2012 at 19:40.
mercedised is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd October 2012, 20:00   #37
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mercedised View Post
3) Brand name & Bhed-Chal (following one's step blindly) (This can be seen in the case of Swift being overly preferred over many other good vehicles available in that price point. Leave the A.S.S and reliability point they come later.)
Sorry for going OT, but i dont understand this concept of "Bhed-Chal" in buying a car. Yes, a lot of people buy Swift - but they have their own reasons. Show me a car in its segment with all of the following - Good looks, good FE, Fun to drive, Go anywhere peace of mind (wide service network), reliable (not a overrated thing at all), good resale value. Swift has all of this and therefore it sells. Others are just not good enough. Saying people who buy Swift follow Bhed-Chal is saying they are not as intelligent as others- no one has a right to do so.
ethanhunt123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd October 2012, 20:12   #38
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethanhunt123 View Post
Yes, a lot of people buy Swift - but they have their own reasons. Show me a car in its segment with all of the following - Good looks, good FE, Fun to drive, Go anywhere peace of mind (wide service network), reliable (not a overrated thing at all), good resale value. Swift has all of this and therefore it sells. Others are just not good enough. Saying people who buy Swift follow Bhed-Chal is saying they are not as intelligent as others- no one has a right to do so.
As I said everyone has his personal views on the market and no one is bound to accept what other conveys. So is the case here. Coming to the point I never thought of insulting Swift buyers or owners. I am sorry for that. But, as I said my views are based on the sell going in my area and so often I find people going for Swift for no reason, and when I ask them why? they say its a Maruti car and my friend bought, friend of brother bought so I am, this cannot be termed as intelligent buying. So, for a mango-man (strictly as per me) it would be right to call it a Blind-Path. I hope I have cleared my point, I have no intention nor any right to force it on others.

Happy Motoring.

MODS: Sorry for the OT's but I found it necessary to clear what I exactly wanted to convey, rest you have every rights.

Last edited by mercedised : 22nd October 2012 at 20:15.
mercedised is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd October 2012, 22:22   #39
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksingh544 View Post
Suddenly TML have realized they need to off load inventory and are trying this to attract the taxi owner.
This is NOT a stock clearance sale. This is a new model and there is no excess inventory yet!
Quote:
Originally Posted by richie4u View Post
Actually the Aria would have got more response if they added at-least ABS and airbags in this model.
This model is targeted for Taxi operators, and they look for vehicles with out ABS and AirBags as it increases their Maintenance costs.
teamveevee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th October 2012, 13:10   #40
BHPian

With this price cut, TATA has pitched two of its premium products directly on a head-to-head clash - STORME & ARIA. I wonder what is TATA's product marketing strategy, or do they believe in having any strategy et al?
Baffles me, to say the least.

On second thoughts, may be they are trying to lure the >10L SUV customers from M&M showroom by pitching two of their "best & top of the line" products against the XUV?

Well, we've all heard about the popular proverb "killing two birds with one stone". Never heard "killing one bird (XUV) with two stones (ARIA + STORME)".
forbhaskarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th October 2012, 13:50   #41
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by forbhaskarm View Post
Well, we've all heard about the popular proverb "killing two birds with one stone". Never heard "killing one bird (XUV) with two stones (ARIA + STORME)".
I think Maruti is doing this for quite some time now! (Swift +Ritz, WagonR +Estillo, Alto+ K10). It may klick for TATA too.
sourabhzen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th October 2012, 14:13   #42
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by forbhaskarm View Post
Tata can't even touch XUV, IMO. The design is what worked in favour of XUV, though it is an overkill for me. The Tata couple are boring to the tee (IMO, not only these 2 cars, but all Tata cars are very boring in looks department. With that tall tail lamps pasted on the cars starting from Nano to Aria, what their design team is thinking of?). How did they get the nod to introduce the 10 year old Safari, with such a minimal external makeup? After all, it's not in the entry level segment of cars! And what a boring look Aria carrying!

Last edited by romeomidhun : 25th October 2012 at 14:20.
romeomidhun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th October 2012, 14:23   #43
BHPian

Maybe a new lease of life for the Aria. Total value for money at this price for a 7 seater well refined people mover that doesn't look like a taxi. (Not yet at least unless this sets the chart burning with the taxiwallahs)

Many Aria owners had reliability problems (not me yet). If those problems have been sorted out now by Tata, no reason not to buy this over the Toyota Innova.

Cheers
sahakar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th October 2012, 16:11   #44
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysmokesleaves View Post
Tata should hire a roadside chanawaala(roadside peanut seller) as their sales head. Im sure he will price their products better.
Better than a road side chanawaala, TATA should appoint Bhpians as their Sales Head. Having a difference of Rs.5 lakhs from the Base Variant to Top Top Variant does not make sense. Tata is digging a silent Burial Ground for Aria. Nano, Sumo Grande, Aria and now Strome. Even after the XUV 500 arivial, Tata has done nothing for Aria sales - correction in prices. I repeat again, Tata is just wasting its resources. With Karl, let us wait and see what happens to Aria next.
Sarvodaya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th October 2012, 19:14   #45
Distinguished - BHPian

This might also be a move to may be convince the entry level safari (convert even may be the storme customer) buyer to may be pick up the Aria.

But weird strategies from TATA sometimes.
nkrishnap is offline   Reply With Quote