Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Old 27th October 2012, 22:39   #16
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

Default Re: Upcoming Mini Aria

Ashutosh your designs are quite quite nice and though that would still be a really large vehicle (with 17" rims and 200mm GC) and make for a nice life style vehicle with 2 jump seats at the back. But does not seem to be close to the Tax savings lenght limit. Though I would love to be proven wrong.

I do still feel that the Manza platform would be a better bet for this excercise but then they could possibly be working on both an Ertiga competitor based on the Manza Mono Platform and a Quanto competitior based on the Aria Ladder Frame. If the 6 new vehicles theory is true in even 2 years let alone 1 then that could be the case.
ACM is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28th October 2012, 06:27   #17
MHG
BHPian

Tata could borrow a leaf out of Mahindra's book and consider downsizing their 2.2L DICOR engine to 3 cylinders producing a healthy 100+ horses (try to match Renault's 110PS K9K in power) and loads of torque....

And I don't like the idea of cramming 3 rows under 4m. Instead ensure that 5 people can sit very comfortably with huge luggage space.
MHG is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28th October 2012, 11:27   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MHG View Post
Tata could borrow a leaf out of Mahindra's book and consider downsizing their 2.2L DICOR engine to 3 cylinders producing a healthy 100+ horses (try to match Renault's 110PS K9K in power) and loads of torque....
I think Mahindra had no choice but to develop a sub-1.5L engine if they wanted to avail excise duty benefits for the Quanto. Tata have the "national engine" available to them. I think it wouldn't make sense for Tata to develop a new engine and incur extra development cost for the new compact SUV.
StarrySky is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28th October 2012, 12:28   #19
Senior - BHPian

The above illustrations make it look a lot like a Vista on steroids
vinaydas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th October 2012, 12:32   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinaydas View Post
Yes.

In fact, it looks a good replacement/upgrade for existing Vista.

A sub 4 metre SUV with this design wouldnt have many takers. It is better to use this design to replace Vista or introduce this as Vista 90 MJD.

Last edited by simplyself : 28th October 2012 at 12:35.
simplyself is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th October 2012, 12:42   #21
MHG
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarrySky View Post
I think Mahindra had no choice but to develop a sub-1.5L engine if they wanted to avail excise duty benefits for the Quanto. Tata have the "national engine" available to them. I think it wouldn't make sense for Tata to develop a new engine and incur extra development cost for the new compact SUV.
The 1.3 MJD tops out at 90 horses. 90 would be too little to power a heavy ladder-on-frame SUV.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinaydas View Post
Exactly my thought as well. But unlike Hyundai, Tata's family look is nothing to die for. Manza looks really smart, but the Vista looks too ugly and the Aria looks like a mini van (no offence to owners strictly personal). Having said that, Sub-4m Aria in this rendering does look wonderful and I hope the final product DOES look something like this with a rear mounted spare wheel, and also that Tata retains all of Aria's equipment, atleast in the top-end model.
MHG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th October 2012, 13:41   #22
Senior - BHPian

Shrunk Aria = Indica

The aria looks like big brother of indica. whats there for Tata to design.
geeash is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28th October 2012, 13:58   #23
Senior - BHPian

Mini Aria sounds good but it won't be as light as the Ertiga. Tata Motors needs to put their vehicles through a strict diet regimes to shed some weight All their cars are amongst the heaviest in the segment.

Apart from that they also need two good engines in the mid segment; say around 1.5L capacity - both petrol and diesel, that produce decent power for these upcoming vehicles, IMO.

Last edited by safari_lover : 28th October 2012 at 14:02.
safari_lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th October 2012, 13:58   #24
Senior - BHPian

Cannot figure out why TML would want to take this route when they have existing, modern car platforms - they dont have to take the Mahindra route of chopping up old jeep platforms. So whats next - a mini-407?

They only need to tweak the existing platforms (the Marina did very well during its lifetime, why not a variation of the same on stilts?) and MOSTLY wipe that stupid smiley grilles off the faces of their vehicles. And of course deliver cars that are fully assembled.

Most of them would look much more purposeful without that apologetic smile on their faces - as a result their cars begin to lose the battle as soon as they are launched.
Steeroid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th October 2012, 21:37   #25
BHPian

I would like to ask Ashutoshb a question :

When photoshopping the Aria, was some length taken out of the wheelbase ? It appears that the rear door is shorter.

My guess is that shortening the overall length Aria to 4m is not possible without shortening the wheelbase. Please see attachment, where I have worked out where the vehicle will have to be abbreviated, to be 4m in overall length.

This implies a whole lot more intervention on Aria sheet metal parts from TML, than that required from M&M to shorten Xylo to make Quanto. I understand Xylo has mainly had it's length shortened from the rear section.

To me, it doesn't seem worth the trouble.

As some have said before, to make a true Ertiga fighter, TML should use the current Manza platform.

Cheers,

FourWheelDrift
Attached Files
File Type: docx TATA ARIA.docx (68.7 KB, 307 views)

Last edited by FourWheelDrift : 28th October 2012 at 21:41.
FourWheelDrift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th October 2012, 23:09   #26
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

As mentioned by most I would expect them to work more on the Manza platform.

Better, I would guess it would be great to bring back the Indigo Marina albeit with the Manza make, but I doubt if it would be below 4m. But for sure it can be a good competitor for the Ertiga, with an additional row.
xingamazon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th October 2012, 09:28   #27
Senior - BHPian

As always they have woken up late, but better late than never.
dadu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th October 2012, 09:36   #28
BHPian

Brilliant Design Ashutoshb. Now if they can make the bonnet a little flat, change the Front and add spare wheel on Tail gate, it should look really good. New name and brand is the dire need of the day for this platform.

As such Aria last itself is very cramped especially the 3rd row. Wonder how they are going to manage under 4m unless they launch a 5 seater version.
indian21r is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 29th October 2012, 10:23   #29
BHPian

The renderings look fantastic. Love the black (1st) one. Looks stunning.
But, wouldn't this eat into the Storme sales? IMO, Aria mini and Storme would be overlapping segments (price wise).
But, agree with most here that his looks much better than Quanto.
Tata should try the Ertiga way and get a 3 row seating with the middle one on rails, a la Ertiga and this would sell better than Storme
thalavoy is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 29th October 2012, 10:45   #30
Distinguished - BHPian

Brilliant PS work there.

But isn't it better think about the Manza platform to get this sub 4m UV to keep the weight in check. Just shortening the Aria or Sumo Grande will not help as it will heavier and will need bigger engine. They need to come up similar what Maruti has done instead of shortening the Aria.
nkrishnap is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote