Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Old 29th October 2012, 11:40   #31
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Upcoming Mini Aria

Now that a few compact SUVs clicked in the market, everyone will jump on that bandwagon and the novelty of having a good view will disappear because most cars around will be of similar height!
Rants apart, I dont understand why the discussion is focussing only on looks. Tata cars have been bought more for utility than for their looks. After all if eyesores like Quantos and Dzires can sell, then whats the point in focussing on the looks of this car?
Perhaps we should try to find out more about the mill that will be used (1.3 MJD for mileage?)seating, GC, etc. and what compromises are going to be made, if any. If this is launched with feature list equivalent to club class Manza, it should be a decent option.

Also wonder how late the Ecosport will be, considering it was one of the first that was talked about in this segment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MHG View Post
Exactly my thought as well. But unlike Hyundai, Tata's family look is nothing to die for. Manza looks really smart, but the Vista looks too ugly and the Aria looks like a mini van (no offence to owners strictly personal).
Well, this is a bit subjective. But the Hyundai fluidic look is no great shakes either. there are much better looking cars out there to use as a benchmark, many of them timeless in a way that the fluidic cannot hope to be. Lets think of the VW look if we want to have a decent benchmark! No offence taken or meant.

Last edited by selfdrive : 29th October 2012 at 11:42.
selfdrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th October 2012, 13:11   #32
BHPian

Let TATA first reposition the existing ARIA to compete with the XUV. Then, it can think of cutting it down to compete with the ertiga and quanto.
amitayu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th October 2012, 13:22   #33
Senior - BHPian

Great move if this news is true and I would hope they do a good job with the cutting and stitching of the Aria and dont do a shoddy job like what M&M did with the Quanto.

The PS'ed picture posted in the first page looks sweet!
anachronix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th October 2012, 15:00   #34
Senior - BHPian

Not sure when we would see a company design a proper sub 4m sedan or SUV instead of stretching a hatch or chopping off an MUV.

The way I see it, most people who might opt for a compact SUV does so because of the better GC advantage to tackle bad roads and the aggressive looks. Trying to put 7 seats into a sub-4m SUV would actually make it a 2+5 seater instead of the 5+2 that is being advertised as the middle row would also be compromised. Instead if they decide on giving a proper and comfortable 5 seater, they can actually make comfortable second row seats which would make it a better value proposition than a compact sedan given the taller stance of SUV means more volume in the boot vertically.
zenren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th October 2012, 15:05   #35
MHG
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by selfdrive View Post
Well, this is a bit subjective. But the Hyundai fluidic look is no great shakes either. there are much better looking cars out there to use as a benchmark, many of them timeless in a way that the fluidic cannot hope to be. Lets think of the VW look if we want to have a decent benchmark! No offence taken or meant.
I agree with the VW being a decent benchmark. But I mentioned the Hyundai fluidic look only because it was the first thing that came to my mind and within this context, it wasn't BAD (strictly my opinion).

But yes after reading your post, I now feel I should've mentioned Volkswagen instead of Hyundai - it would've fit better within the context of that post.
MHG is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 6th November 2012, 18:48   #36
Senior - BHPian

Default The Mini Aria is here

OD have pulled up a scoop on the mini Aria, the ink to which is here:

http://www.overdrive.in/details/2338...ping-mini-Aria

looks somewhat like the Quanto, but, hopefully much more balances & better to drive. It will be using the Fiat's MJD instead of the bigger 2.2L Dicor for Tax benefits.

... & there is there is mini sumo Gold too .

Image:

Name:  TataAriaNewdesign.jpg
Views: 3458
Size:  40.2 KB

Last edited by CARDEEP : 6th November 2012 at 18:49.
CARDEEP is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 6th November 2012, 18:57   #37
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: The Mini Aria is here

Quote:
Originally Posted by CARDEEP View Post

I think that is an artist's impression PS job. I didn't see it mentioned anywhere in the article that they have caught this vehicle testing.
StarrySky is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 6th November 2012, 20:18   #38
BANNED

This is the rendering by me for New Mini Aria.

Name:  Aria CS.jpg
Views: 7383
Size:  70.0 KB
(Disclaimer: This rendering is developed on a pic posted by IAB)
CRtorquefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th November 2012, 08:19   #39
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashutoshb View Post
A few PS illustrations I had done earlier, never thought Tata Motors were actually thinking on the same lines :
Good work there ashutoshb. But I guess the angle of the car (front 3/4) is helping a lot there. The side profile will not look that attractive.

Looks like, our roads will be filled with all kind of 'small' cars now. GOI may be pushed to redefine the rule.
deetjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th November 2012, 09:17   #40
Distinguished - BHPian

Default Re: The Mini Aria is here

Quote:
Originally Posted by CARDEEP View Post

looks somewhat like the Quanto, but, hopefully much more balances & better to drive. It will be using the Fiat's MJD instead of the bigger 2.2L Dicor for Tax benefits.

... & there is there is mini sumo Gold too .

Image:

Attachment 1011406
I just dont understand the purpose of this exercise.

Even the renderings on the first page (which look best out of the lot) till remind me of a hatchback only. Nowhere near to what an SUV/ cross over should look. Forget Quanto/Duster - TATA can at best hope to compete with the Ertiga. But then, Ertiga brings so much more to the table (mileage, reliability and clever packaging) that the heavy (not to mention the niggles) Aria platform may not be able to provide.

Since India is the most important market for TATA (who seems to be losing grip of it too) - TATA should develop an all new vehicle on the platform rather than trying to just shorten the ARIA for excise benefits.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th November 2012, 09:28   #41
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by xingamazon View Post
As mentioned by most I would expect them to work more on the Manza platform.

Better, I would guess it would be great to bring back the Indigo Marina albeit with the Manza make, but I doubt if it would be below 4m. But for sure it can be a good competitor for the Ertiga, with an additional row.
+1.

I have always thought that Indigo Marina should have been brought into the game now in Manza avatar. The nose would perfectly suite the MUV look and certainly give the Mini Aria look.

To me, Marina looked more proportionate than Indigo and that will be the same with Manza and its wagon if it comes to light. and for God's sake, Please let off the Indigo tag and let us know the true sales numbers instead of hiding it behind the old ones.

Marina was a good and a spacious vehicle; just add a row of seat (for which, the space was already there but fuel tank and spare replacement might be required) and you are good to go head on with Ertiga. Cost of rework would be relatively cheaper as it will be sharing the parts from Manza/Vista.

but how/where will it position? its already crowded with its own products - Sumo, Grande, Safari old. Adding to this is the new 4x4 lifestyle vehicle that's on cards as per some? OT: Will be more happy if that's a Sierra?

Last edited by ganesc : 7th November 2012 at 09:30.
ganesc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th November 2012, 09:37   #42
BHPian

This baffles me as it did to most others in this forum. The Aria was and will always remain a minvan. It is not an SUV, period. It is not a crossover either. I strongly believe if Tata had positioned it as a lifestyle minivan it would probably have done better. They should have positioned it against the Innova as a more luxurious, bigger and cheaper alternative to Innova.
Now shortening it and taking will not create a compact SUV. It will only create a shortened minivan. And it will take Aria further down market and take away what ever little equity it has left. This is crazy stuff.
Sanjunair5 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 7th November 2012, 10:01   #43
Senior - BHPian

That OD picture is certainly an artists impression, there is so much light coming from the driver side window that you should be able to see his features but we only see a shadow. So don't think this is the design they are working on.

I would rather go with the Manza platform and bring out a Ertiga beater with the MJD engine and monocoque design. Spend some R&D money because the vehicle sales will more than make up for it.
motomaverick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th November 2012, 10:18   #44
Senior - BHPian

When i read the title of the thread I literally took it as if Mini as in Mini Cooper is coming out with a new "Aria"! Nevermind. This just turns out to be a Tata. Btw, wouldn't the Aria have an effect on the Indica's sales figures?
9thsphinx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th November 2012, 10:23   #45
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Quote:
Originally Posted by apachelongbow View Post
Why Why Why... Tata if you ever listen to your customers its the right time for you to re launch the Tata Sierra, with a 2.2 Dicor CRDI. Believe me it will rock sales for you and still put you within the 4 meter length (if you manage some trimming). Just mordernize the older Sierra platform, give it bells and whistles from the new Safari or Aria, and you shall zoom to the top.

Infact keep this new short Aria for competing with the Quanto, however the new Sierra will be a cult car, with 4x4 to compete with the Thar even
Wow, even i would love to have a Sierra. This is one very good vehicle killed by the manufacturer. I dont see any reason why this was killed. This could have been put in their portfolio.
gemi_kk is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote