Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Old 24th December 2012, 21:09   #76
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Default Re: Compact SUV from TATA

Quote:
Originally Posted by sushantr5 View Post
This is where tata made a mistake.
Hope everything will change under the new leadership.
Thats a very nice way of explaining things. Thanks mate. However the statement "Indica was the reason for Tata's rise and fall" is not correct.

Indica gave the initial Kick which tata needed when they entered passenger cars market, however even after getting a very good kick start, the management couldn't progress ahead which they should have done long back. Managements inability to foresee the future caused this disaster. they dropped from #2 to #5 or so. The management should be the driving factor. but their inability to launch new models crashed the whole brand.

Last edited by Rehaan : 27th December 2012 at 15:40. Reason: Shortening large quote for the benefit of our mobile viewers. Thanks.
gemi_kk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th December 2012, 21:28   #77
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajshenoy View Post
Mini Sumo ? Are they making a Spongebob squarepants on wheels for kids ?
Yes - I Agree - . With this they would target the Tourist / Taxi segment and price it between Indica and Sumo. An indica driver might upgrade to this and would ferry 7 people for the cost of 5 meaning the illustration below.

Corporate Cost of Indica = 10 per km (can ferry 5 people)
Corporate cost of Sumo = 13 per km (can Ferry 7)
Corporate cost of Eeco 7 / Quanto = 10 per km. (Can Ferry 7)

Over a distance of say 25 km - Company is incurring a cost of 3 rs extra per km. which means 75 Rs.

Tata would look to eat in this segment with a Mini Sumo. Sharing parts with Sumo and using the existing Sumo would help Tata reduce R&D costs.

With Quanto and Eeco (7 Seater) drivers operating at the same cost of an Indica, Some great person in Admin or HR will look at this model and come up with a cost saving idea, even-though the last 2 rows of seats are totally uncomfortable for the average Joe.
scopriobharath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th December 2012, 21:37   #78
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sushantr5 View Post

5) Aria is suffering due to tata's obsession or rather emotional attachment with Indica. Smiley Grill and Happy face is the reason for today's cry. Indica was the reason for Tata's rise and fall.
Well,the Aria merely carries ahead Tata's signature styling traits which the Indica had debuted with. And looks probably isn't one of the reasons for the Aria going down I believe. It's pricing/VFM issues had always played foul, and in the end, it succumbed to them, in the face of rising competition. But all that apart, it's a handsome looking car for sure, and distinctively a Tata due to that smiley grille up front.
AyAn! is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25th December 2012, 18:47   #79
BHPian

Default Re: Upcoming Mini Aria

On styling, especially the smiley face of Indica is passe, the designers could not update it to suit the next generation of buyers. Some how the Vista face looks out of proportions, the grille and the petal double barrel lights makes it look a little feminine. However the back and the back three quarter profile look nice (even with the now passe christmas tree lights)

I think the Nano has a very cute smiling face a rather cheeky one, but the metal has limitations with design - and I believe they tried to bring that notch into the Aria's face and with the amount of chrome and the number of slats the face became a little ordinary.

I'd agree the Manza hybrid smiling face seems to have been integrated well by picking up cues from the Nano, which looks very modern and stylish.

It is quite a challenge to keep evolving to meet the newer design esthetic and design language without losing on the original DNA!

One thing that seems to be clear is that a large number of buyers seem to prefer an 'in the face' design over sophistication (see the reactions to the cheetah inspired XUV), which seems to be the predilection that Tata's are caught in!

However, I also believe classic lines and a philosophy of 'less is more' works better to keep products looking nice over the long haul without one getting tired of the looks.

I think the first set of Honda City's seem to have had the 'less is more' (LIM) philosophy though many looked staid then, but even today they do not look out of place as compared to the over-designed Hyundai's which I personally get tired of visually(No offense meant to lovers of Hyundai).

The 'LIM' makes us appreciate the Landrovers even from the 90's where apparently there seems to be a timelessness to the looks.

Though initially the Sumo brought a revolution in how an SUV/UV should look, for a while people got tired at looking at too many Sumos in the taxi segment. But IMHO even today there is something nice about the bare-bones lines (without the kitsch graphics of course) that have an appeal. Especially the Sumos meant for the Indian Army with their tall wheels look handsome and look their part and gently remind a purposefulness in their stance.

I would be tempted to buy an army Sumo with a 4x4 option with the modern suspension set up!

In any case, as they say beauty lies in the eye of the beholder
soonya is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26th December 2012, 00:59   #80
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gemi_kk View Post
How could the platform be different when both the cars look the same. the space is same the frame is almost same. Agreed that there will be minor changes in the body according to the changing requirements.
May be i need to digg deeper into both of these cars internals.
You definately need to dig deeper sir, i travel to my office in Vista/indica on daily basis and i can bet there is a lot of difference, in fact i can feel that even with my eyes closed ( Ride quality )

Quote:
Originally Posted by scopriobharath View Post

Corporate Cost of Indica = 10 per km (can ferry 5 people)
Corporate cost of Sumo = 13 per km (can Ferry 7)
Corporate cost of Eeco 7 / Quanto = 10 per km. (Can Ferry 7)
Which city are you talking about? Indica in pune gets paid 7rs per km, in mumbai i guess it must be 8rs per km ( Non Ac ).

IIRC, for SUMO/Tavera in mumbai, you are not allowed to carry more than 5 passengers in total.

7 seats,If that is the case, we should be seeing more Venture's on road since it costs slightly more than indica i guess.
silverado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th December 2012, 22:34   #81
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverado View Post
Which city are you talking about? Indica in pune gets paid 7rs per km, in mumbai i guess it must be 8rs per km ( Non Ac ).

IIRC, for SUMO/Tavera in mumbai, you are not allowed to carry more than 5 passengers in total.

7 seats,If that is the case, we should be seeing more Venture's on road since it costs slightly more than indica i guess.
In Mumbai.

Indica @ 8 Rs per km . Auto Rickshaws charge close to Rs 10 per km (Govt Rate). I really doubt how the driver can survive at 8. I checked with drivers and they claim that it is 10 per km.
scopriobharath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th December 2012, 23:25   #82
BHPian

Quote:
In Mumbai.

Indica @ 8 Rs per km . Auto Rickshaws charge close to Rs 10 per km (Govt Rate). I really doubt how the driver can survive at 8. I checked with drivers and they claim that it is 10 per km.
I just checked with my company's indica driver (mumbai) - and -you know what - it is 8 INR.
mohandas is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 27th December 2012, 01:01   #83
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
In Mumbai.

Sorry for off track, but this charge (8-10 Rs per km) is for “cab” not for “metered taxi”. Main difference here is minimum number of kilometers.
Vishal.R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th December 2012, 07:32   #84
BHPian

What has happened to this thread? This was supposed to be a thread on the mini Aria.
PhiGolden is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25th February 2013, 12:03   #85
BHPian

Default Tata Motors likely to drive in mini-SUV

Report in today's Economic Times.

Tata Motors likely to drive in mini-SUV to take on Mahindra Quanto and Ford Eco Sport

NEW DELHI: The line-up of mini-SUVs is likely to get stronger. Battling mounting losses and declining sales, Tata Motors is considering to upgrade existing vehicles while looking at new launches that could include an all new sub four-metre SUV to take on models like MahindraQuanto and soon-to-be launched Ford Eco Sport.

Tata Motors, which saw net profit crash by 52% in the third quarter of this fiscal, is looking at a variety of new vehicles in the utility vehicle and SUV space to cash in on the rising popularity of such models. "We definitely have lost a bit of ground but we will get back with new products. There are lots of projects in the pipeline and we want to be a significant player in the UV segment," said AsheshDhar, head, UV product group, at Tata Motors.

Dhar, who has been with the company for around one year after joining from rival Mahindra & Mahindra, said Tata Motors is looking to work out new strategies to boost the UV business. "We are quite aggressive in UVs, and are looking at building on it further."

Sales of Tata Motors' UV portfolio of Sumo, Safari, Aria and Venture range fell by 3% in the April-January 2012-13 period at 41,166 units against 42,354 units in the same period last fiscal, according to numbers at the company's website.

Asked whether the new vehicles could include a new sub four-metre entry SUV, something on the lines of the Mahindra Quanto, Dhar told TOI, "Wherever there is growth, we will not neglect that... We are looking at many, many SUVs. We see the industry growing very strongly across categories."

Tata Motors was perhaps the first auto company in India to drive in a sub-four metre version of an existing bigger vehicle when it truncated the Indigo sedan for a shorter variant. A sub-four metre vehicle gets a near 50% reduction in excise duty, helping companies price them aggressively .

Other companies looking to drive in compact SUVs include Hyundai, Maruti Suzuki , General Motors and Toyota . Dhar said the company is aware of rising competition. "Definitely, we have to come with something that is market competitive."

Newer models like Renault Duster and Mahindra XUV500 have also impacted the fortunes of Tata Motors, which is now considering to tap into group luxury brand, Jaguar Land Rover (JLR), for developing newer products, some in the high-volume sub-Rs 12 lakh segment.

Dhar said Tata Motors can have a lot of "learnings" from JLR and these will be used in the development of new products.

The Safari, one of the company's long-running SUV, was recently given an upgrade with a new variant 'Storme'. "We have seen volumes of the Safari range pick up after the upgrade ," he said, adding that the model accounted for 2,000 units in January.

Web Link to the Orginal Report :
http://economictimes.indiatimes.com/...w/18669546.cms
rubicon is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25th February 2013, 12:13   #86
Senior - BHPian

Good news and looks like Tata is on the hunt. First Slym and now Dhar to head the UV segment from M&M.

But what caught my attention is that they are looking to tap into JLR to develop products in the sub 12 L segment, now thats a really good news.
motomaverick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th February 2013, 13:02   #87
Team-BHP Support

I read the news on Tata looking at a mini SUV and I think they should get something based on the Vista/Manza instead of the Aria or any ladder frame. The Quanto may be good but car like dynamics are also what people look for when considering these compact SUV's. Take the duster for example and the XUV. The XUV's biggest advantage against the Safari and the reason why sedan segment buyers are looking at the XUV is because of car like dynamics.

Tata can do what Mahindra did with the XUV to an extent.

What I think Tata should do.

Take the Vista and increase the length to just fit within 4metres. Basically make it look close to a station wagon like the Marina or Palio Adventure. Then do what fiat did to the Adventure. Raise the height, put bigger wheels, wheel arches, give it a muscular look and look like a soft roader caravan. Basically picture the Palio Adventure but with the Manza. A semi cross over.
Vid6639 is offline   Reply With Quote