Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread

Old 19th August 2013, 02:04   #346
BHPian

Default re: Nissan's Duster-based SUV, the Terrano: Full Pics are out!

It all comes down to the interiors guys!

The exteriors of the Duster have divided opinions and so the Terrano will be no different. The only point on which owners and haters agree is that the Duster has terribly cheap interiors for a car that costs 11 lacs.

If the Terrano fixes this, the car is an improvement. Otherwise, its just another Scala/ Logan/Sunny whatever.
Old 19th August 2013, 07:47   #347
BHPian

As the Terrano is expected to be priced higher than Duster, Nissan can take advantage of this and offer a 4x4 variant.
Nissan is well respected across the world, and in India, for its expertise
in 4x4 vehicles from the erstwhile Jonga in India (an antique Nissan Patrol), to the recent crop of X-Trail's etc.

The option of having a 4x4 in the model lineup could have actually worked in Terrano's favour and given the vehicle its fair share of followers from the small but growing band of off-roaders and off-roading clubs in India.
Old 19th August 2013, 08:07   #348
Distinguished - BHPian

Love the Nissan face. Also, I can see some changes to the doors as well. The Renault smiley is missing. The first time I saw the Duster, I thought it was a dent on one side. Checked the other side and confirmed the lines were all intended. So, Nissan has changed the sheet metal.

Hope they upgrade the interiors as well. Let it remain basic, but with better materials and shade. Wish Nissan had changed the door handles to a grab type one. The alloys look indifferent. Can't wait to see one in person.
deetjohn is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th August 2013, 09:51   #349
BHPian

Is an automatic expected? This could be a USP for the Terrano when compared to the Duster.
Old 19th August 2013, 09:54   #350
BHPian

thats a new color added to the Duster lineup. Looks very Sunny-ish.
Also , the roof rails are completely silver (aka Outlander style?)

Elsewhere, the Auto is sold on the 2.0L Petrol (138bhp) ,and is a 4-speed box.
I am not sure whether Nissan will actually get it for us..
Old 19th August 2013, 11:15   #351
Senior - BHPian

I have thought about this vehicle a bit (since it is nearing launch) & of the opinion (contrary to reports & general feedback) that the vehicle should not be launched at price higher than Renault Duster.

My rationale is that both Renault & Nissan are rebadging the Dacia Duster, & it is not a product from Renault's European lineup, but a very much the Czech product under the skin (though as a product it is still as competent & reliable as any European Diesel, if not better). Renault took the vehicle, & launched in India with their branding & profit mark-up (based on European snob appeal). Now, Nissan is selling the rebranded, but still, Dacia Duster, with own profit mark-up (little lower than Renault as in case of all other cars).

How would the sales man justify higher product of the Nissan Terrano over the Duster, when all Nissan products are much cheaper than Renault's?

... &, why would a rational man buy this over the cheaper Duster, just for few styling tweaks on the exterior & interiors (mot much changes expected, considering the Micra-Pulse & Sunny-Scala lineups already in India)... not me. I would be happier buying the Duster, if I were to make a choice between the two?
Old 19th August 2013, 12:31   #352
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CARDEEP View Post
How would the sales man justify higher product of the Nissan Terrano over the Duster, when all Nissan products are much cheaper than Renault's?
As per their badge engineering contract, they have to price it higher than the original version. Till now, Renault was borrowing from Nissan, hence Renault's versions were priced higher. This is the first case where Nissan is borrowing from Renault. I think this clause was discussed in the initial few pages of this thread and also highlighted in the Autocar scoop of the Terrano.

About the salesman justifying the hike, well, let's wait for Nissan to launch it. Then we will know what exactly sets it apart from the Duster.
Old 19th August 2013, 12:39   #353
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CARDEEP View Post
My rationale is that both Renault & Nissan are rebadging the Dacia Duster, & it is not a product from Renault's European lineup, but a very much the Czech product under the skin (though as a product it is still as competent & reliable as any European Diesel, if not better). Renault took the vehicle, & launched in India with their branding & profit mark-up (based on European snob appeal). Now, Nissan is selling the rebranded, but still, Dacia Duster, with own profit mark-up (little lower than Renault as in case of all other cars).
Maybe the idea is to make the Duster look VFM, by launching something above its price. Jokes apart, I am interested to see if this product (Terrano) will have any impact on the Ecosport, or will eat into its own sibling’s sales figures.

And a small correction – Dacia is not a Czech product, it’s from Romania.
vb-san is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th August 2013, 12:49   #354
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post
And a small correction – Dacia is not a Czech product, it’s from Romania.
Thank you @vb-san for pointing the mistake. I somehow got confused with Skoda, which is in news for good reasons in TBHP.
CARDEEP is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th August 2013, 12:53   #355
Senior - BHPian

I guess, the car should sport piano black interiors like the new Micra, may be ACC (if Nissan has changed sheet metal, this can be easily achieved as well); better ergonomics. This would not be able to make any dent to the sales of Ecosport; Ecosport is going Swift way; it'll continue to rake in number and money to Ford till the time a Suzuki product is launched to encounter this "threat".
Old 19th August 2013, 13:01   #356
BHPian

Maybe it is just me but I find Terrano's front a bit fuzzy compared to Duster's clean looks. Unless Terrano comes with much better interiors Nissan will find it hard to justify any premium over Duster. Moreover, with a premium over Duster, price will be dangerously close to XUV 500.
Old 19th August 2013, 13:05   #357
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjab View Post
As the Terrano is expected to be priced higher than Duster, Nissan can take advantage of this and offer a 4x4 variant.
Nissan is well respected across the world, and in India, for its expertise
in 4x4 vehicles from the erstwhile Jonga in India (an antique Nissan Patrol), to the recent crop of X-Trail's etc.

The option of having a 4x4 in the model lineup could have actually worked in Terrano's favour and given the vehicle its fair share of followers from the small but growing band of off-roaders and off-roading clubs in India.
it would definitely be interesting to see Nissan offer a 4x4. I think there is a niche available at the expected price range of the Terrano. However they may not launch it immediately. And then, if sales do not really take off, they might drop it all together!
Old 19th August 2013, 13:18   #358
Senior - BHPian

I like the Terrano looks better than the Duster, those R8 replica wheels look nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by deetjohn View Post
So, Nissan has changed the sheet metal.
I doubt! If they have to change the design on the sheet metal, they would need a different die for the metal stamping. Changing the die is a very costly affair and I doubt if Nissan decided to do it with the Terrano just to make it look it different from the Duster.
Old 19th August 2013, 13:34   #359
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

If the Terrano is priced within 50k of the Duster say with some extra features, then it would surely get a positive response. The duster has caught on quite well with the mindset of the customers and hence for nissan to match duster's numbers would be an impossible task for now. However, in the long run, it would depend on factors like sales and service.
Old 19th August 2013, 15:04   #360

Loved the sharp design features on the Terrano as compared to the more rounded appearance of the Duster.
However, I think adding dual exhausts on the rear would have made the rear look more symmetric, it would have accentuated the design principle and made the Terrano stance more sportier, IMHO.
Closed Thread