Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene


Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 6th November 2012, 11:22   #46
Senior - BHPian
 
StarScream's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Noida/Delhi
Posts: 1,247
Thanked: 633 Times
Default re: Nissan's Duster-based SUV, the Terrano: Full Pics are out!

I had an interesting thought, perhaps Renault-Nissan don't need to cannibalize each other's sales of the Duster by following a similar strategy to the Sunny-Scala and Micra-Pulse. Perhaps, they could launch the Nissan version as one variant with 4x4 and priced above the top Renault variant. This way people who want 4x4 will have no choice but to buy the pricier Nissan version and all 4x2 buyers will have to choose Renault.
StarScream is offline  
Old 28th January 2013, 20:35   #47
Senior - BHPian
 
thoma's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Kerala
Posts: 1,750
Thanked: 1,073 Times
Default re: Nissan's Duster-based SUV, the Terrano: Full Pics are out!

I had been to the local Nissan dealership for enquiring about the booking status for a Micra. The finance adviser there is so sure about a March last / April first launch of the Nissan Duster. Yes, he said it is to be named the Duster! But guys, I'm taking this with a pinch of salt.

I'll return back to this thread once I get to know more on this. Couldn't catch up with my friendly sales adviser this time. Anybody got other information?
thoma is offline  
Old 28th January 2013, 20:50   #48
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: EU - Nordic
Posts: 1,563
Thanked: 953 Times
Default re: Nissan's Duster-based SUV, the Terrano: Full Pics are out!

March launch cannot be ruled out, since I guess nothing will change in the Nissan version except probably a few body panels.

The Renault-Nissan brand positioning in our market is such that Nissan versions of the same car seem to be priced lower. A March/April "Nissan Duster" launch at a lower price point than "Renault Duster" could be an effective strategy to counter the Ford Ecosport.
StarrySky is online now  
Old 28th January 2013, 22:24   #49
Team-BHP Support
 
ampere's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 15,605
Thanked: 8,600 Times
Default re: Nissan's Duster-based SUV, the Terrano: Full Pics are out!

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarrySky View Post
A March/April "Nissan Duster" launch at a lower price point than "Renault Duster" could be an effective strategy to counter the Ford Ecosport.
Thats a good point. Very much possible. Only point is we need to set the expectations. People are already not happy with Duster build quality.
And they have hopes that the Nissan version would be cheaper and with better build quality !
ampere is offline  
Old 29th January 2013, 02:42   #50
Distinguished - BHPian
 
swiftnfurious's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Chennai
Posts: 6,449
Thanked: 6,438 Times
Default re: Nissan's Duster-based SUV, the Terrano: Full Pics are out!

Quote:
Originally Posted by thoma View Post
I had been to the local Nissan dealership for enquiring about the booking status for a Micra. The finance adviser there is so sure about a March last / April first launch of the Nissan Duster...
I was thinking of a Diwali 2013 launch for the reasons below. Read these in some auto forums, can't vouch for the authenticity. But that article said this was an interview with some big shot in Nissan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarrySky View Post
March launch cannot be ruled out, since I guess nothing will change in the Nissan version except probably a few body panels....
Continuing post from above...

1. Nissan's version of Duster is told to have "substantial changes" from Renault's

2. A 4WD considered to be available right from the launch.

3. Renault has given permission quite late for Nissan's version as they didn't want the lower priced version to cannibalise the looong waiting periods of Duster.

With these 3 points coming in some auto forum, I was really looking at a Diwali 2013 launch. I don't think we have seen any test mules yet right?! Even if there are ONLY minor changes, we should see the testing happening for atleast 3-4 months?

The honeymoon period is still NOT over for Duster; so I will be surprised if Renault allows such a quick launch.
swiftnfurious is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th January 2013, 07:51   #51
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Pune
Posts: 532
Thanked: 198 Times
Default re: Nissan's Duster-based SUV, the Terrano: Full Pics are out!

Just a though, maybe Nissan might want name it the xterra. That is the closest look-a-like of Duster I believe.

It also comes in 4X2 and 4X4 options here in US. The stripped down version of this car could very well come in the Safari/Scorpio/Duster price range.
ObsessedByFIAT is offline  
Old 29th January 2013, 11:51   #52
Senior - BHPian
 
StarScream's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Noida/Delhi
Posts: 1,247
Thanked: 633 Times
Default re: Nissan's Duster-based SUV, the Terrano: Full Pics are out!

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
With these 3 points coming in some auto forum, I was really looking at a Diwali 2013 launch. I don't think we have seen any test mules yet right?! Even if there are ONLY minor changes, we should see the testing happening for atleast 3-4 months?
Question is, why would they need to test it? Its the same car with the same engine. A few changed panels and bumpers don't need test mules, in my opinion.
StarScream is offline  
Old 29th January 2013, 12:48   #53
Distinguished - BHPian
 
swiftnfurious's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Chennai
Posts: 6,449
Thanked: 6,438 Times
Default re: Nissan's Duster-based SUV, the Terrano: Full Pics are out!

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarScream View Post
Question is, why would they need to test it? Its the same car with the same engine. A few changed panels and bumpers don't need test mules, in my opinion.
Everybody looks for a perfect product. And real life scenarios will be different from "theory". Even if it's a new panel that is fitted onto a rebadged car, it is required to be tested on roads as to how is it holding good with usage. Even an alloy design will definitely need some calibration for optimal usage & testing will help to check for alignment / suspension / abnormal wear & tear, dynamics etc.

I would NOT say these re-badged cars are tested to the same intensity as a newly designed product, but a fair testing is required to check everything.
swiftnfurious is offline  
Old 29th January 2013, 13:08   #54
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: KL
Posts: 4,680
Thanked: 3,508 Times
Default re: Nissan's Duster-based SUV, the Terrano: Full Pics are out!

Quote:
Originally Posted by suhaas307 View Post
Are you sure about that? From what I've read around forums and other fairly reliable sources, the Duster is based on the Logan (reworked platform / chassis) and the Logan is actually based the an old-gen Renault Clio which is a large hatchback sold in Europe.

P.S. Yes, the Duster is indeed based on a heavily reworked Renault Clio (old gen) platform.

P.S. 2: It is also sold as a Renault in Russia and Brasil.

EDIT:
Happened to see this now. Yes, the Duster is a Nissan platform vehicle, both the Duster and the Logan are Dacia B0 (which i guess might be Nissan's further development their B0 platform) platform vehicles.

http://www.carmagazine.co.uk/News/Se...ficial-photos/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nissan_B_platform

Looks like except the Koleos and the Fluence all other vehicles of Renault's India line-up has more Nissan than Renault in it.
Sankar is offline  
Old 29th January 2013, 15:48   #55
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: EU - Nordic
Posts: 1,563
Thanked: 953 Times
Default re: Nissan's Duster-based SUV, the Terrano: Full Pics are out!

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
I would NOT say these re-badged cars are tested to the same intensity as a newly designed product, but a fair testing is required to check everything.
I don't recall any reports of Pulse/Scala being spotted on public roads before they were introduced in the market. Maybe the testing is restricted inside factory premises.
StarrySky is online now  
Old 29th January 2013, 15:58   #56
BHPian
 
nik_kapur's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 992
Thanked: 471 Times
Default re: Nissan's Duster-based SUV, the Terrano: Full Pics are out!

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
Everybody looks for a perfect product. And real life scenarios will be different from "theory". Even if it's a new panel that is fitted onto a rebadged car, it is required to be tested on roads as to how is it holding good with usage. Even an alloy design will definitely need some calibration for optimal usage & testing will help to check for alignment / suspension / abnormal wear & tear, dynamics etc.

I would NOT say these re-badged cars are tested to the same intensity as a newly designed product, but a fair testing is required to check everything.
Well you are right in a way. Often Facelifts are spotted being tested and therefore a Nissan Duster with modified body panels may need to be tested.
nik_kapur is offline  
Old 29th January 2013, 16:30   #57
Team-BHP Support
 
suhaas307's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 8,055
Thanked: 6,602 Times
Default re: Nissan's Duster-based SUV, the Terrano: Full Pics are out!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sankar View Post
Happened to see this now. Yes, the Duster is a Nissan platform vehicle, both the Duster and the Logan are Dacia B0 (which i guess might be Nissan's further development their B0 platform) platform vehicles.
There is plenty of platform sharing between the two brands.

The Duster is based on the Logan which in turn is based on a heavily reworked Renault Clio platform.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sankar View Post
Looks like except the Koleos and the Fluence all other vehicles of Renault's India line-up has more Nissan than Renault in it.
The Koleos is a re-skinned Nissan X-Trail. The Koleos was developed by Nissan. And the Fluence is a Renault Megane with a boot-job.
suhaas307 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th January 2013, 19:31   #58
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: KL
Posts: 4,680
Thanked: 3,508 Times
Default re: Nissan's Duster-based SUV, the Terrano: Full Pics are out!

Quote:
Originally Posted by suhaas307 View Post
There is plenty of platform sharing between the two brands.

The Duster is based on the Logan which in turn is based on a heavily reworked Renault Clio platform.
Its the B0 platform that Clio II, Logan and Duster is based on. The B0 platform is developed by Nissan.

Its like the Ertiga being based on the Swift platform, and CRV being based on Civic, but here manufactured the same company so no badge engineering.

Quote:
The Koleos is a re-skinned Nissan X-Trail. The Koleos was developed by Nissan. And the Fluence is a Renault Megane with a boot-job.
Oh! Koleos too?! Looks like all Renault is doing is cosmetic jobs then.. except for the Fluence which is their own design, i suppose.
Sankar is offline  
Old 31st January 2013, 12:51   #59
Senior - BHPian
 
itwasntme's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: BANGALORE
Posts: 2,273
Thanked: 1,338 Times
Default re: Nissan's Duster-based SUV, the Terrano: Full Pics are out!

Duster 4x4: Excellent & typically quirky review by Top Gear on the BBC site. There are some nice pictures as well so do follow the link.

http://www.bbc.com/autos/story/20130...dust-in-peru/1

Summary:

I decide, altitude-drunk, thankful to be alive, that this must be the perfect car for Peru. You want something with four-wheel drive, something cheap enough you won't mind it getting a bit dented by, say, a rapidly onrushing valley floor. Decent visibility is a must, to avoid clouting a mototaxi and being clouted by a ten-tonne truck.

And, the altitude-monologue continues, all those things that make the Duster so good here make it the perfect cheap car for Britain. A bit of extra suspension travel isn't only useful when you're tackling an Ande – it provides useful compliance on crumbled tarmac too, absorbing divots and ruts. The trade-off – in budget cars, at least – is usually a wallowing, sailboat approach to corners. But the Duster is slop-free. Maybe it's the hypoxia speaking, but I'm pretty sure it nails the ride-handling balance better than cars at many times its price.

The Duster doesn't aspire to budget chic or any such daft notion. It's simply budget, and all the better for it: honest, simple, good enough to make you reassess what you actually need, not want, from a new car. I can't claim it steers like an Exige or has a gearshift to match the Boxster, but it does all that stuff entirely adequately. And OK, its interior won't send Laurence Llewelyn-Bowen into raptures, but it has everything you need: seats, steering wheel, radio, all still attached after our thousand-mile off-road battering. We have subjected this simple, brilliant little car to punishment beyond anything that even Britain's most abused Defender has endured, and it has passed with flying colours. Brownish colours, admittedly, but flying brownish colours nonetheless.

Altitude sickness promotes grand, woozy thoughts, and this is mine. The Duster distills the very essence of motoring. Some cars we love for their pupil-melting beauty or for pushing the boundaries of technical possibility. But the main reason we love cars is because they offer freedom, a passport to the furthest-flung corners of the globe. And no car in the world offers more freedom for your quid than the Dacia Duster. Soft, strong and thoroughly canyon-proof, it's TopGear's Budget Car of the Year.

Last edited by itwasntme : 31st January 2013 at 12:52. Reason: Typo
itwasntme is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st January 2013, 15:31   #60
BHPian
 
tachobells's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: bangalore
Posts: 227
Thanked: 115 Times
Default re: Nissan's Duster-based SUV, the Terrano: Full Pics are out!

Quote:
Originally Posted by suhaas307 View Post
The Koleos is a re-skinned Nissan X-Trail. The Koleos was developed by Nissan. And the Fluence is a Renault Megane with a boot-job.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sankar View Post
Oh! Koleos too?! Looks like all Renault is doing is cosmetic jobs then.. except for the Fluence which is their own design, i suppose.
I've read somewhere that Koleos is based on Nissan Qashqai.

Hope Nissan does a Skoda (Rapid) with the Duster. Not just rebadging.
Also, please re-do the tailgate and interiors from scratch.
tachobells is offline  
Closed Thread


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Nissan Terrano : Official Review n_aditya Official New Car Reviews 765 29th November 2017 11:20
ICE upgrade : Renault Duster & Nissan Terrano gennius In-Car Entertainment 277 31st May 2017 15:34
Nissan Terrano Unveiled : To be launched in early October parrys The Indian Car Scene 227 9th October 2013 14:56


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 11:51.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks